• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues with curtains

jenner

Time of past OR future Camino
first camino, possibly 2022
Hello, the bunk beds with curtains look appealing for privacy. I was wondering for those of you who have stayed in this type of albergues, did you get hot with the curtain closed? I’m a hot sleeper, so I thought I might have to open the curtain at night, which would be a bummer. Thanks for any input!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't think very many albergues will present this problem. But as you said, if you are hot, you can just open the curtains.
I also thought maybe I’d bring one of those tiny portable fans for air circulation and white noise. Especially since I’ve read on this forum that many pilgrims don’t want a window cracked in the cooler months. I’m going mid October. I’m having fun thinking about it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Same here - only one albergue had curtains. Nice for privacy and blocking errant “light housing” from pilgrims needing to pack their bags at zero-dark-30, but not really an insulating thing. As for fans, be sure it’s battery powered as electrical plugs are few and far between and probably overloaded with phones being charged

I also thought maybe I’d bring one of those tiny portable fans for air circulation and white noise. Especially since I’ve read on this forum that many pilgrims don’t want a window cracked in the cooler months. I’m going mid October. I’m having fun thinking about it!
You are kidding about a fan, correct?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It has a plug. The albergues I’ve seen on line with the curtains, are a “capsule” style with a plug in each bunk.
This wasn't the case at the albergue I stayed at where the lower bunk beds had curtains. I carry a CPAP, so I was given a bed near a power point, but that was the only reason I had one near to me.

Let me predict that the fan will find itself in a left items bin within days if you do decide to take it. Save yourself the cost of parting with it by not bringing it in the first place.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Those capsule types are few and far between - consider the value of using that so few times versus cost and carrying the weight. I’m not saying NOT to take it, just that you should consider the overall cost/benefit of it.

Do they have a model with air conditioning as well?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So you are going to take a small fan, in case you need to cool the enclosed space, IF the night is too warm, IF you find an albergue with curtained beds.

A simpler solution would be to avoid the albergues with curtained beds 😂 and pull your buff over your eyes to block any light from other people.

Others might not appreciate your white noise :oops:
I play white noise on my phone with ear buds in.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My first camino I had a simple day pack as I was traveling Europe and this was an add on. If I didn't like it I would go elsewhere.What didn't fit in the small daypack didn't go. I loved it but my advice is to keep it simple. You don't need stuff and if you do, you get it at the supermarket on the way. I remember staying at one albergue that was very questionable but I didn't care as it was at the top of a hill , lovely people and I needed to stop. Fans and curtains out the window.

Hello, the bunk beds with curtains look appealing for privacy. I was wondering for those of you who have stayed in this type of albergues, did you get hot with the curtain closed? I’m a hot sleeper, so I thought I might have to open the curtain at night, which would be a bummer. Thanks for any input!
My pack-towell is large so I provide my own curtain when I get a lower bunk.

I was in one of those “pod bed” ones that had a vinyl pull-down shade. It was VERY hot and uncomfortable, like a sauna. The ones with fabric draw curtains pressented no issue. I ended up raising the vinyl shade part way.

Very few opportunities for beds with curtains…… also much more likely to be cold in October depending on where you are starting.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not many other pilgrims will want “white noise” in a bunk room. In 38 days of walking this year I only stayed in 2 Albergues with curtains on the bunks.

Not many other pilgrims will want “white noise” in a bunk room. In 38 days of walking this year I only stayed in 2 Albergues with curtains on the bunks.
It's incredibly quiet, doubt that anyone else could hear it through a curtain. Anyway, I just enjoy geeking out over trip planning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was in one of those “pod bed” ones that had a vinyl pull-down shade. It was VERY hot and uncomfortable, like a sauna. The ones with fabric draw curtains pressented no issue. I ended up raising the vinyl shade part way.
thanks much for your experience, I appreciate it. sorry you had a sauna pod, as a hot sleeper, I make my own sauna... doesn't sound nice

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Never stayed in an albergue with curtains. Fan-? Why not? I have carried an Iron on many backpack trips in South America for a good reason. Albergues get very hot at night from body heat and from people closing all of the windows because they are cold.

I carry a light weight cotton sarong with multiple purposes, including use as a privacy screen. Use a large quick dry towel on the other side (coverage of head area is sufficient) and that should provide privacy enough, while still leaving space for air circulation. Of course this requires a lower bunk. For top bunks, use an eye mask and ear plugs and realize that you are less visible up there. Mostly, be assured that you will eventually cease to care.

As for the fan, if you are walking the Frances, you may be leaving that behind by the time you reach
Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nope, I have a tiny one that is maybe 3x3 inches.
I stayed in private rooms and needed fan for white noise so I used an app in my phone. It was great. If I had stayed in albergues i would have had to use ear phones which would have been a bummer.

I only stayed in a few albergues as I could not sleep with so many people in the room so I never ran into places with curtains. I did pin my towel to the edge of the upper bunk for privacy when in albergues. On hot nights I used my sleeping bag as a blanket so I could toss it off when I needed.

Never stayed in an albergue with curtains. Fan-? Why not? I have carried an Iron on many backpack trips in South America for a good reason. Albergues get very hot at night from body heat and from people closing all of the windows because they are cold.
Exactly! You get me :)

I stayed in private rooms and needed fan for white noise so I used an app in my phone. It was great. If I had stayed in albergues i would have had to use ear phones which would have been a bummer.
I use earbuds at night all the time when I'm sleeping. I buy this kind of "sleeping earbuds" from Amazon.

I stayed in several albergues that had the beds with curtains and quite like them. It is nice to have privacy in your bed with so many people in the room as well as a plug and a light. I extra looked for these types and found them in Pamplona, Hospital di Orbigo, Logrono, and Leon.

Just like looking for albergues with single beds instead of bunk beds, or albegues doing communal meals. Seek and ye shall find.

My first camino I had a simple day pack as I was traveling Europe and this was an add on. If I didn't like it I would go elsewhere.What didn't fit in the small daypack didn't go. I loved it but my advice is to keep it simple. You don't need stuff and if you do, you get it at the supermarket on the way. I remember staying at one albergue that was very questionable but I didn't care as it was at the top of a hill , lovely people and I needed to stop. Fans and curtains out the window.
"Questionable"? Please expound. Tx.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Never found on albergue with curtains. Take a light sarong and some pegs. September nights were sometimes warm but much cooler by October. Try to get a bed by the window and then you can open it whenever.

On our walk we found a few that had curtains.. The privacy was a plus but not something that we could expect. We also both had light weight cotton sarongs that served multiple purposes, including use as a privacy screen and also filled the role of a quick drying towel. As for the fan... I wished I had one a few times along the way last May/June. If you have room and the weight isn't too much, I'd go for it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The questionable albergue was dirty. It has huge dogs hanging about and it was a bar. There was a very drunk local who was having a fight with the bar owner as he wanted more alcohol whilst his wife was trying to take him home. I made the mistake of using their blankets and was bitten extensively.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a hot sleeper too but honestly, you’ll adapt. Mix in some nights in private rooms where you can control the window and you’ll be fine.

You’ll probably be so tired that you’ll fall fast asleep anyways.

A buff or eye mask and some foam earplugs help of course. At breakfast in my albergue this morning fellow pilgrims were grumbling about a man who could’ve been a contender for the snoring olympics. He was in the bed right next to me but with my earplugs I slept through the night. :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
appealing for privacy
Take your own "curtain". Choose a lower bunk next to a wall.
String a length of paracord along the top of your bunk space. Drape with towel, t shirt etc. Privacy and dry clothes.
Don't forget to remove cord!

Your “ white noise” may be someone else’s nightmare

Let me predict that the fan will find itself in a left items bin within days if you do decide to take it. Save yourself the cost of parting with it by not bringing it in the first place.
And if you regret not bringing it, you can buy one in Spain.

I couldn't tell you whether or not I slept with curtains or not. After walking 18 miles a day then having a meal with multiple glasses of fine wine, I shut my eyes until I awoke to an empty albergue the next morning. Some of the best nights sleep I have ever had.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.