• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues with private rooms on the Norte

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte - May 2022
I am planning to walk El Norte as my first Camino in April/May/June 2022. Partly due to COVID, partly my sleep issues, I am hoping to stay in private rooms - but I was thinking I'd have more opportunity to meet/dine with other pilgrims if I stayed at private albergues that have private rooms. I know you can search accommodations on Gronze, and there are probably many listed on various threads scattered around. But I thought it might be good to have one thread listing recommendations of these types of albergues on the Norte. Please let me know any of your favorites!
Thanks,
Ann

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One very nice albergue with private rooms on the Norte was Casa Carmina.

It’s in Muros de Nalón, which is about 22 from Avilés. What made it especially nice was, since it was a short day, we could take a bus to the beautiful coastal village of Cudillero in the afternoon. That is a little detour well worth taking.

So, now I’ve scrolled through Gronze to see the albergues where I have stayed and liked, and see that a number also have private rooms.

I remember that the albergue I stayed in in La Caridad had private rooms, but I was in the albergue. One of our little group made dinner in the kitchen and a couple staying in private rooms ate with us — outside in a small private backyard, which was nice.

Albergue Savior in Lourenzá has private rooms and gets good reviews on Gronze.

One of my favorite albergues on the Norte was O Xistral. I stayed in the albergue part, which was spacious and uncrowded. But I see on Gronze that they have a private room, too. Good dinner, great hosts — a couple (one of whom is a veterinarian) that spent years remodeling this house and put a lot of love into it. There is a lot of private open space for relaxing.

If you take the coastal alternative from Santander, which I HIGHLY recommend, Boo de Piélagos is a good stop. I stayed in the albergue, but again see that Gronze shows private rooms as well.

I remembered thinking that the Albergue Castiellu looked nice when I walked through Pendueles (at least I think it was Pendueles). It gets good reviews on Gronze and it does have private rooms, so it might be worth a try.

Oops I almost forgot one of my favorites from the end of my 2021 camino when I went over from the Primitivo to the Norte on the Camiño Verde from Lugo. Abeiro da Loba. It’s about 6 flat kms beyond Sobrado dos Monxes.

The owner/hospitalero converted his grandparents’ home into an eco-albergue/lodge. In the middle of nowhere, in a wooded setting adjacent to a tiny village (no services). Meal wasn’t great but I was in a private room there and also saw that the albergue room was very very nice.

Kind of garbled, not in order, but it will give you a start! Buen camino, Laurie

One very nice albergue with private rooms on the Norte was Casa Carmina.

It’s in Muros de Nalón, which is about 22 from Avilés. What made it especially nice was, since it was a short day, we could take a bus to the beautiful coastal village of Cudillero in the afternoon. That is a little detour well worth taking.

So, now I’ve scrolled through Gronze to see the albergues where I have stayed and liked, and see that a number also have private rooms.

I remember that the albergue I stayed in in La Caridad had private rooms, but I was in the albergue. One of our little group made dinner in the kitchen and a couple staying in private rooms ate with us — outside in a small private backyard, which was nice.

Albergue Savior in Lourenzá has private rooms and gets good reviews on Gronze.

One of my favorite albergues on the Norte was O Xistral. I stayed in the albergue part, which was spacious and uncrowded. But I see on Gronze that they have a private room, too. Good dinner, great hosts — a couple (one of whom is a veterinarian) that spent years remodeling this house and put a lot of love into it. There is a lot of private open space for relaxing.

If you take the coastal alternative from Santander, which I HIGHLY recommend, Boo de Piélagos is a good stop. I stayed in the albergue, but again see that Gronze shows private rooms as well.

I remembered thinking that the Albergue Castiellu looked nice when I walked through Pendueles (at least I think it was Pendueles). It gets good reviews on Gronze and it does have private rooms, so it might be worth a try.

Oops I almost forgot one of my favorites from the end of my 2021 camino when I went over from the Primitivo to the Norte on the Camiño Verde from Lugo. Abeiro da Loba. It’s about 6 flat kms beyond Sobrado dos Monxes.

The owner/hospitalero converted his grandparents’ home into an eco-albergue/lodge. In the middle of nowhere, in a wooded setting adjacent to a tiny village (no services). Meal wasn’t great but I was in a private room there and also saw that the albergue room was very very nice.

Kind of garbled, not in order, but it will give you a start! Buen camino, Laurie
I can vouch for Albergue Savior, in Lorenza. It was a nice place with private rooms on the hotel side. Albergue was right next door. Older building with nice woodwork right on the Main Street

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am planning to walk El Norte as my first Camino in April/May/June 2022. Partly due to COVID, partly my sleep issues, I am hoping to stay in private rooms - but I was thinking I'd have more opportunity to meet/dine with other pilgrims if I stayed at private albergues that have private rooms. I know you can search accommodations on Gronze, and there are probably many listed on various threads scattered around. But I thought it might be good to have one thread listing recommendations of these types of albergues on the Norte. Please let me know any of your favorites!
Thanks,
Ann
I will be on the Camino del Norte in April. See you on the road.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Albergue-Casa Rural Intxauspe in Markina (http://www.intxauspe.com/pub/en/portada/) had a really nice private room (and also an albergue part), had my best sleep there and met other pilgrims.
Buen Camino!
I stayed in the albergue part there. Fantastic place! Especially after that hard walk from Deba. I enjoyed relaxing in the garden, and they offered a good communal dinner.

My friend @Juanma (who now owns the albergue Maralotx in Cirauqui (on the Francés, but it has private rooms, too!:p) has reminded me about Parga Natura Alojamiento on the Norte. Private rooms and an albergue, along with communal dinner.

It is run by @Juanma’s former partner in the albergue in Ferreira on the Primitivo. Gets rave reviews on Gronze and looks wonderful.

The albergue is located about 7 km beyond Baamonde. For those who may not know, the official camino after Baamonde has changed. Gronze shows the now official route, with the former “official route” in dotted lines.

E2E2F785-46AE-45BF-89A0-4078E496B347.png

This has been a very contentious issue. As you might imagine, those who are located along the “old route” (notably the albergues in Miraz (CSJ) and A Roxica (private) and maybe one or two more) do not want to lose their pilgrim traffic.

From Baamonde to Sobrado via Miraz (the “old route”), it’s 40 km, too many for most pilgrims. Hence, two short days with Miraz in the middle was a common decision.

From Baamonde to Sobrado on the new route, it’s 32. Many find that comfortable. But to shorten that a bit more, people who spend the night in Parga would have a 24-25 km day to Sobrado the next day.

When I last walked the Norte, the new route was still in development, but there was a lot of acrimony building. Looks like both routes are marked now, and it would be great to hear from people who have walked the new official route.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.