• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues with reservations

ElenaR

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello,
Three ladies are planning our first Camino in mid-November 2013 walking from Sarria to Santiago. We are looking for accommodation that accept reservations. We understand that no reservation needed at this time of year and many albergues do not do reservations. But since two of the ladies need Schengen visas, we NEED reservation. Before I post this question, I researched other posts regarding visas. There are no cut and dry answers to visa problem on the forum and most posts are relatively old.
I found a post from 2010 with a list of albergues that accept reservations. However, most of them only have phone numbers and no emails to ask about reservation. Our Spanish is non-existent or “Google translate” Spanish only :) So, the concern is if we call, we won’t be able to communicate. We could make reservations in hotels (although not all the towns on the way have hotels), and then cancel reservations and stay in albergues during the walk. However, we would like to make “real” reservations, at the places where we are actually going to stay.
We are planning to follow John Brierley’s book for daily walking schedule. If someone please suggest albergues with reservation options in English in Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Ribadiso, and O Pedrouzo, we would greatly appreciate. We would also like to stay in the “not to be missed” albergues if possible. Do we ask too much? :D And please, if there are no "not to be missed" albergues with reservation options for these four towns, can you suggest them anyway?
Thank you in advance.
Elena

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Elena,

Send the email:

Hola,
Por favor, ¿puedo reservar camas para tres damas en el [add the date].
Gracias,

Portomarin: Albergue Ultreia! http://www.ultreiaportomarin.com info@ultreiaportomarin.com
Has private rooms

Palas de Rei: Albergue Buen Camino http://www.alberguebuencamino.com alberguebuencamino@yahoo.es

Ribadiso: Albergue Los Caminantes http://ribadiso.albergueloscaminantes.com/
email: info@albergueloscaminantes

Pedrouza/Arca: Albergue Otero http://www.albergueotero.com/en/

Good luck!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
SabineP said:
I can higly recommend Ultreia in Portomarin. The daughter also speaks fluent english.
Ditto, I stayed there last year, very clean with good facilities, and helpful staff

Frank

Thank you for all the help. Can someone also please suggests places in Sarria and Santiago? We are planning arrive to Sarria on the overnight train from Madrid and start walking in the morning, but just in case this plan fails, we need a place to stay in Sarria and later in Santiago. Again, we are looking for not to be missed albergues.
Thank you again,
Elena

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
At San Martin Pinario in Santiago there are different grades of accommodation as it is a hotel as well. If you would like accomodation on the pigrims' floor, make sure you put that in your email.

I have pre-booked there for my two nights this June. My initial email to them was in my laboured Spanish, but they responded quickly in excellent English. I asked for a single room with bano on the pigrims' floor. The cost is 23 Euros per night and that includes the buffet breakfast, which my friend who stayed there says is substantial. My friend also said that the rooms on the pigrims' floor are spartan but very clean, which is totally okay by me!

Sheesh

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At San Martin Pinario in Santiago there are different grades of accommodation
Using their reservation system, I don't think you can get the pilgrim rate, so either phone them, or initiate an email dialog. The "hotel" rate for a double is 60E vs. 23E each for a pilgrim single. The double was a completely renovated room, while the single was a monk's room with en suite bathroom.

Sheesh said:
At San Martin Pinario in Santiago there are different grades of accommodation as it is a hotel as well. If you would like accomodation on the pigrims' floor, make sure you put that in your email. Sheesh

Level 4 of the hotel is the "pilgrims' floor" where they have 60 beds in simple but very clean rooms. The prices are:

23€ single, 38€ twin room, room with 4 beds 60€ (15€ pp)

All prices include hotel linen, towels and the hotel breakfast.

They prefer e mail bookings and speak English: reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu

I agree with Falcon and Johnnie that San Martin Pinario is a very good stop in Santiago! I have stayed in simple pilgrim rooms in 2011 and December 2012 and always found it comfortable and most convenient. Added features are the fact that they are open 24/7 so that you can arrive at anytime, the obliging desk staff are multi-lingual and the restaurant (open to all) serves a very good 3 course lunch or dinner with wine for only 12 Euros. What more does a tired pilgrim need?

Margaret Meredith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got the information on the San Martin Pinario from this forum as I neared Santiago and my wife booked us in on the pilgrim floor for when I arrived, we had to switch to the hotel floors for the second night due to being booked out. I would agree with above posters, it a great hotel, only about 100 mts from the Cathedral and the staff were fantastic. They also held some luggage for my brother as we walked to Finisterra and Muxia. We used to sit on the steps across from the hotel in the afternoons and see the new pilgrims coming in, it was a great way to meet some of the people we met along the way. I would highly reccomend it.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Wow, guys! People on this forum are amazing! Thank you again for such detail information! I am organizing this trip for my sister’s 50th b-day. I want this walk and experience to be special. With your help it will be indeed. November cannot come soon enough. Thank you again,

Elena

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.