• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues with swimming pools?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Hi,

does anybody know of albergues with swimming pools? I know there are at least 4 (I stayed in 2 of them and it was very nice to cool down and relax after the walk), but I can't remember the villages/albergue names...

I am asking on behalf of a friend who started from Pamplona 2 days ago. Any help much appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hei!
The privat albergue in Belorado has a swimmingpool,el Quatro Cantares. You walk past the albergue by the old church and a couple of other new privat places.It is on the camino on the right side. Cannot miss to find it if you walk through town. Nice place with a garden. I have stayed there twice. Donativo or % euros or so with coffee and biscits in the morning.
Randi, also from the arctic Norway

Thank you Randi!

Yes, I remember Belorado. I stopped as the first place, before the city it self (also a pool, but...) When I checked out the Qattro Cantares (in the CSJ guide it is named Cuatro Cantones) the next morning, I very much regretted I hadn't pushed on the few extra hundred meters... :twisted: It was a lovely garden area around the pool.

Ano more albergues on the list?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
anniethenurse said:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/equipment-questions/topic6161.html?hilit=swim
There sure are some pools and other swimming opportunities along the camino Frances!
Thank you for that! Yes now I remember:

Boadilla del Camino - the Albergue "En El Camino" : A great place; a nice green field with a fair pool, and the owner/hospitalero who goes out of his way to serve peregrinos. Great place!

But I need more places...

Yep, the one in Boadilla del Camino had a pool but it didn't have any water in it when we stayed there May '08. I think often they aren't functioning off-season whenever off-season is!

We stayed in an albergue in Calzadilla with a pool, name forgotten but it was on the way in with a big picture of a pilgrim on the side. Photo here: http://www.suzielda.com/camino/viewphot ... d=TC60C645

Can't recall any others offhand...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Sept. 2009 it was fully functioning. Many happy tired pilgrims enjoying the water, indeed :!: :wink:

Vila de Mazariffe has Alburgue de Jesus. It's a VERY cool alurgue with 2 kitchens, food machines, peregrino grafitti all over the walls, and a SWIMMING POOL!

I loved this placE!

The private albergue over the bridge and up the hill in Puente le Reina (overlooking the town - can see the church spires from the pool!) has a pool. Cheers, Janet

(and many locals seemed to swim in the river at Molinaseca)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I object on principal the whole idea of swimming pools at pilgrim albergues: it seems like that´s gone over the line into tourist hotel territory... but nobody asked me. I´m just sayin.

That said, if you really want a swim once you get somewhere, ask if there´s a municipal piscina in town. They´re available to anyone for a very nominal fee, are often very near the hostel, and some of them are really lovely... they´re all up and down the camino, including Sahagun and Hontanas, Burgos, Leon and Astorga.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hei!
The privat albergue in Belorado has a swimmingpool,el Quatro Cantares. You walk past the albergue by the old church and a couple of other new privat places.It is on the camino on the right side. Cannot miss to find it if you walk through town. Nice place with a garden. I have stayed there twice. Donativo or % euros or so with coffee and biscits in the morning.
Randi, also from the arctic Norway
Yes, you're right. That place is really beautiful. I have also spent some time over there. The swimming pool over there was also amazing.

summer waves pool

Last edited:
I know of two:
  • Casa del Peregrino, in El Acebo: pool wasn't open on the 3rd of May, lol. Looked great though!
  • Casa Barbadelo, in Barbadelo: 9th of May, was open though only two of us used it (an Alaskan and a Hawaiian - go figure!) Also of note, if you ask the staff, they do have some swimwear available for purchase for 5Euros, which then went with me to Finisterre. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks, but i don't see like that what you told here, i listen very much about swimming pool. now i want to located swimming pool in my backyard which swimming pool would be best for me. Any one adviced would be appreciated.

Thanks, but i don't see like that what you told here, i listen very much about swimming pool. now i want to located swimming pool in my backyard which swimming pool would be best for me. Any one adviced would be appreciated.
This might not be the best forum for your question - unless you're an albergue owner, in which case I guess it's a great place to gather opinions about the kind of pool to install in your yard.

I suggest that you ask local pool installers for some proposals and speak to people who have used them to construct pools in their yards. Swimming pools are rather special things to build, so you want to work with an installer who knows what he or she is doing:

To my recollection, the first municipal Albergue to get a pool is the one in Calzadilla de la Cueza. After that long stretch of sun it was nice to soak in the sweaty water of my fellow pilgrims. The pool in Boadilla is a favorite, because of the surroundings. The pool in Barbadelo (last 100) is impressive, but not as impressive as the pool at the massive Albergue in Acebo.

I'm with Reb in suggesting that you find the local municipal pool, which are traditionally only open in the peak summer months. They are not always well sign posted, so you may have to ask around or check the google maps for a spot of aqua blue.

The best to my recollection are:
  1. Puente la Reina
  2. The massive pool at Najera, though the river there is good for a frigid soak too.
  3. Sarria
  4. Portomarin
  5. The river in Mansilla de las Mulas
  6. The river along the river route into Burgos.
  7. The muni pool in Burgos.
  8. The muni pool in Arzua

One thing to remember is that in the municipal pools, you are usually required to wear a swim cap... even if you are bald. They are cheap and available at most of the larger places.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.