• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues yet open on the Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabrés

Via2010

Time of past OR future Camino
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,

I will start from Zamora on August 10th, but I am still worried about accomodation.

The useful Website of Antonio Retamoso claims to be in the process of being updated but it still lists albergues as closed which appear as open on Gronze (which seems to be rather up-to-date, too). Where can I get more detailed and up-to-date Information?

I would really like to go to albergues as often as possible and dislike the idea of planning an pre-booking every stage in advance.

Has anyone walked this section this year and can report his experiences?

Best wishes
Alexandra

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A friend walked from Salamanca in May/June. At that time the municipal albergue in Zamora was operating. IIRC no other municipal albergues were open, but several private ones were running (e.g. Casa Tomas in Xunqueira, and Dornelas and Reina Lupa just before Santiago). Some private albergues were closed (e.g. Albergueria). My friend made a detour to Lalin to use the excellent private albergue there ... There are enough places open for you to walk.

I could make notes from the discussions that I had with my friend while he was walking, but too much time has passed for the detailed information about specific locations to be of much use. For one thing, Galicia started to open its albergues right around the time when he was finishing his camino.

The general lesson, probably will apply in August, though - To be sure of the status of an albergue or other accommodation, call ahead 24 hours in advance. Some people like to say "use Gronze" or "use Antonio's site." That might work well on the most popular caminos, but the information is not updated in a timely enough way on the VDLP and Sanabres. Back in 2019, long term some albergue closures were not reflected in Gronze. (e.g. Albergueria). I don't mean that you have to plan every stage, but you should know the ones where an unexpected surprise would leave you in a quandry, because of the length of the stage or the lack of other options nearby etc. .

Thanks a lot. My main concern is the section before Galicia, where the Xunta-Albergues are now open. It seems that some stages can not be done as reccomended in the guide-books because auf lack of accomodation. And my concern is that in some cases the rare accomodation available will be "completo".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes. One needs to spend more effort than before to ensure that there is somewhere to stay at the end of the day. If money is not an obstacle, there are private accommodations in most of the towns where there are closed albergues. Following Zamora (pubilc albergue open) I recall that my friend was able to stay with private hosts in Granja de la Moreruela, the private hotel/albergue in Tabara, private albergue in Villanueva de las Peras, nothing available in Santa Marta de Tera, so I think he wound up in Camarzana de Tera, Villar de Farfon private albergue open, Rionegro - public albergue was closed....

My friend is disabled - he struggles to walk more than 15 km per day, so he wound up sleeping outdoors around 25% of the time, but if you are able-bodied, and you are willing to adjust some stages and do some calling ahead, I think you can expect a good Camino.

This has been posted on the forum before, I think, but there is an association of private albergues for VDLP and Sanabres. Their list is helpful in addition to the information you find on Gronze and Antonio's site.

Yes. One needs to spend more effort than before to ensure that there is somewhere to stay at the end of the day. If money is not an obstacle, there are private accommodations in most of the towns where there are closed albergues. Following Zamora (pubilc albergue open) I recall that my friend was able to stay with private hosts in Granja de la Moreruela, the private hotel/albergue in Tabara, private albergue in Villanueva de las Peras, nothing available in Santa Marta de Tera, so I think he wound up in Camarzana de Tera, Villar de Farfon private albergue open, Rionegro - public albergue was closed....

My friend is disabled - he struggles to walk more than 15 km per day, so he wound up sleeping outdoors around 25% of the time, but if you are able-bodied, and you are willing to adjust some stages and do some calling ahead, I think you can expect a good Camino.

This has been posted on the forum before, I think, but there is an association of private albergues for VDLP and Sanabres. Their list is helpful in addition to the information you find on Gronze and Antonio's site.

Thanks so much Raggy. I will be walking from Sevilla starting about October 14th. I have saved the list to my facebook page. I assume that any updates will be reflected in my saved list. Now all I have to do is figure out where the saved list is on my facebook page and how I can add it to my search page on google in chrome. Once I have that figured out I am a little more gold (or should I say silver). I also will have the Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino and Kelley apps on my phone. I assume that the VDLP always needed a little advanced planning, now i am sure it will need more. The more resources I have to find places to sleep and especially up to date ones the better prepared I will be. I am sure I will need to ask ahead about bars/restaurants/tiendas/mercados also to make sure I always have an adequate food supply when I start each morning.
Is this Antonio's website:
I do have this one bookmarked.
If it is not would you send me the site address, Please. Also with the resources I have listed is it necessary to include his?
Thanks for all your help.

Hi,

I will start from Zamora on August 10th, but I am still worried about accomodation.

The useful Website of Antonio Retamoso claims to be in the process of being updated but it still lists albergues as closed which appear as open on Gronze (which seems to be rather up-to-date, too). Where can I get more detailed and up-to-date Information?

I would really like to go to albergues as often as possible and dislike the idea of planning an pre-booking every stage in advance.

Has anyone walked this section this year and can report his experiences?

Best wishes
Alexandra
Hi there. I live in Andalucia not far from the Via de La Plata. One of our neighbours is a serious peregrino and 3 weeks ago he did the Camino Sanabres by bike. He is a meticulous planner and he had planned an 88 km stage out of Zamora. There was no accommodation where previously it was advertised and he ended up having to do a 120 km stage to find a place to stay. be very careful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there. I live in Andalucia not far from the Via de La Plata. One of our neighbours is a serious peregrino and 3 weeks ago he did the Camino Sanabres by bike. He is a meticulous planner and he had planned an 88 km stage out of Zamora. There was no accommodation where previously it was advertised and he ended up having to do a 120 km stage to find a place to stay. be very careful.
88km from Zamora would be Santa Marta de Tera. Yes. The municipal albergue was closed last time I heard - and it was a drag for my friend too because he only found out when he arrived. Depending on your neighbor's finances, he could have found places to stay that were closer. And if he needed somewhere inexpensive, the donativo at Villar de Fonfar, 20km further along the Camino was open.

Yes. It has always been one of the best resources, but it is a labor of love by one individual, so I don't expect it to keep up with the rapidly changing situation on the ground.
I do appreciate the work he does. There is a ton of information on his site. I just looked briefly and he has Triana Backpackers listed as closed. I had originally booked there and they did cancel my reservation. I booked at Hostel One Cathedral. A few dollars more but looks very clean and nice. Now Triana has reopened. So I am sure it takes a ton of work to keep that site current during these covid days of ire!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
88km from Zamora would be Santa Marta de Tera. Yes. The municipal albergue was closed last time I heard - and it was a drag for my friend too because he only found out when he arrived. Depending on your neighbor's finances, he could have found places to stay that were closer. And if he needed somewhere inexpensive, the donativo at Villar de Fonfar, 20km further along the Camino was open.
The wonderful Villar de Farfon only has 4 beds so I would recommend that anyone should call her and book ahead. I think it is the best albergue in all of Spain. Even better than the Casa Fernanda in Portugal.

I was in touch with the Via albergues a couple of months ago, the results of this (and of any updates they sent me subsequently) are here: http://viadelaplataguide.net/pages/updates

I have heard that the Xunta albergues are opening again. None of them have gotten back to me yet but I will contact them today and post any updated info to that page.

Yes, it seems that I have to be more flexible in planning the next stage and phone in advance to find out where I can sleep the next night. I am glad that I am in good shape and walking the Moselcamino this June proved that I can walk 30km+ on several subsequent days. But I really hope that the associacion albergue in Fontanillas del Castro will open again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was in touch with the Via albergues a couple of months ago, the results of this (and of any updates they sent me subsequently) are here: http://viadelaplataguide.net/pages/updates

I have heard that the Xunta albergues are opening again. None of them have gotten back to me yet but I will contact them today and post any updated info to that page.
Merida albergue was closed on August 4,
And all albergues and hostals closed in Alcuescar on August 5.
Took a taxi to Aldea del Cano to stay in albergue there.

Thank you. It is still a long time until I will be walking north from Zamora in October-November after walking the Levante from Valencia, starting a month from now. But I had planned the last part of my camino first, as I have walked the VdlP. I will try to update that as far as I can before I leave. Your infomation helps. Fortunately, there are more options to albergues on the VdlP than on the Levante. But in this "interesting" year I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Gerald. Thanks for the info. It’s worrying that some towns are closed off from entering. I haven’t seen that up to now. Hope that changes before I go. Thanks. Michael

Hi, I'm planning to start walking the VdlP around the 3rd week of september from Sevilla.

Given the uncertainties in the availability of albuergues/hostels is it wise to take a ultra light tent (700gr)? Just in case?

Is there an update planned of: http://viadelaplataguide.net/pages/updates ? That would be great.
Thanks
Peter

Hi, I'm planning to start walking the VdlP around the 3rd week of september from Sevilla.

Given the uncertainties in the availability of albuergues/hostels is it wise to take a ultra light tent (700gr)? Just in case?

Is there an update planned of: http://viadelaplataguide.net/pages/updates ? That would be great.
Thanks
Peter
I'm leaving from Seville the 2nd week of September and wondering exactly the same thing!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks
Peter
I'm leaving from Seville the 2nd week of September and wondering exactly the same thing!!
I am starting in Seville on October 14. I will use Gronze.com to keep updated. I posted this site earlier as another resource.

My plan is to get a little better prepay plan from Orange or Vodafone and call a few days ahead to make reservations until I really see what is happening on the Camino. I speak good enough Spanish where calling to albergues directly is not a problem at all. I hope you can too or at least you can always seek out the help of a local person to help you. It should not be a. problem. I don't like to book on Booking.com if I stay in a private albergue as the owners make less money and they now they need every Euro they can get.

I am starting in Seville on October 14. I will use Gronze.com to keep updated. I posted this site earlier as another resource.

My plan is to get a little better prepay plan from Orange or Vodafone and call a few days ahead to make reservations until I really see what is happening on the Camino. I speak good enough Spanish where calling to albergues directly is not a problem at all. I hope you can too or at least you can always seek out the help of a local person to help you. It should not be a. problem. I don't like to book on Booking.com if I stay in a private albergue as the owners make less money and they now they need every Euro they can get.
I hadn't seen that viadelaplata.blogspot. Thanks.

But more directly to the question of should a tent be carried, I am definitely taking an air mattress "just in case" I have to sleep on the floor or outside. I have a 850 gram tent. Just can't make up my mind if it would be worthwhile to take along. I'll probably go back and forth right up to the time I leave.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But more directly to the question of should a tent be carried, I am definitely taking an air mattress "just in case" I have to sleep on the floor or outside. I have a 850 gram tent. Just can't make up my mind if it would be worthwhile to take along. I'll probably go back and forth right up to the time I leave.
There is a whole section regarding camping on the Camino. I think most of the posts are about the Frances and I think the Norte. I think most of the information is applicable to every camino. I have no experience with this but I know some do and advocate for it while others advise against it. I would read up for guidance.

I hadn't seen that viadelaplata.blogspot. Thanks.

There is a whole section regarding camping on the Camino. I think most of the posts are about the Frances and I think the Norte. I think most of the information is applicable to every camino. I have no experience with this but I know some do and advocate for it while others advise against it. I would read up for guidance.
Ah, thnx. I've looked into some camping posts and indeed it's quite difficult (and mostly illegal) to camp into the wild. And not necessarily safe (wild life, dogs). However, most albergues allow you to sleep in their gardens or shed. A light-weight mattress would be then a safe compromise then rather than bringing a complete tent.

Ah, thnx. I've looked into some camping posts and indeed it's quite difficult (and mostly illegal) to camp into the wild. And not necessarily safe (wild life, dogs). However, most albergues allow you to sleep in their gardens or shed. A light-weight mattress would be then a safe compromise then rather than bringing a complete tent.
Again I have no experience with this mode of travel and maybe with Covid there are more Pilgrims camping in the open areas of albergues. I personally have seen just a few times where there have been tents set up outside the albergue building. If you have not already asked about how frequently you will find am albergue that allows this I would pose the question. I would also call ahead anyway to make sure you can pitch a tent/lightweight mattress is allowed. The weather can be pretty unpredictable these days so maybe a really super light weight tent may be a good idea. Buen Camino.

Hi - I'm also starting the VdlP on 18th Oct. I'm pretty much following the Gronze stages and thinking of taking 2 rest days along the way - maybe Salamanca and Ourense? Any other recommendations for rest days welcome! I'm not planning to bring a tent and will try and use albergues where possible but obviously, will look for private accommodation if necessary. I would very much appreciate a 'heads up' from those already on the VdlP/Sanabres route or starting ahead of me or recently completed. Theres nothing better than 'on the ground' knowledge! Buen Camino all.

Hi there, I started 2 days ago on the Via de la Plata. In Castelblanco now. Please note that all Albergues Municipals are closed. (Apart from the one in Casar). Private Hostels are mostly open, but have limited capacity because of Corona. Every day I meet about 6 peregrinos , and sometimes cycling ones. Although I don’t think there is a need for it I do call a hostel the night before to check availability. Most hostels do take reservations, some don’t (first in principle). I didn’t hear of any ‘overflows’ yet.
Temperatures are ideal now: max 29 at 15h and 22 on rainy days like today. Take care and have fun!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there, I started 2 days ago on the Via de la Plata. In Castelblanco now. Please note that all Albergues Municipals are closed. (Apart from the one in Casar). Private Hostels are mostly open, but have limited capacity because of Corona. Every day I meet about 6 peregrinos , and sometimes cycling ones. Although I don’t think there is a need for it I do call a hostel the night before to check availability. Most hostels do take reservations, some don’t (first in principle). I didn’t hear of any ‘overflows’ yet.
Temperatures are ideal now: max 29 at 15h and 22 on rainy days like today. Take care and have fun!
I have to think when I start in about 3 weeks those Perigrino numbers will be a little lower as well as the temperature. Perfect walking day for me would be waking up at about 5 or 6 C and maxing out at about 10 or so. Love walking in cool and brisk weather. I would take 0C any day of the week over 35C. But that is me. Have fun and keep us up to date. Check out that
Hi - I'm also starting the VdlP on 18th Oct. I'm pretty much following the Gronze stages and thinking of taking 2 rest days along the way - maybe Salamanca and Ourense? Any other recommendations for rest days welcome! I'm not planning to bring a tent and will try and use albergues where possible but obviously, will look for private accommodation if necessary. I would very much appreciate a 'heads up' from those already on the VdlP/Sanabres route or starting ahead of me or recently completed. Theres nothing better than 'on the ground' knowledge! Buen Camino all.
Hi Trish , I will be starting out on October 14 from Sevilla. I am sure you will pass me sooner rather than later as I am going to keep my stages especially early on under 25k. I will also take more than 2 rest days. There are places I would like to take a break but I think it is most important to rest even my body tells me to. I will post if there are problems with lodging in albergues. GronE is up to date I believe. The other day I posted link from the Asociación Caminos Vía de la Plata with a list of open private albergues
Hope this helps.
I will post if there are issues and maybe we will run into each other along the way.

I have to think when I start in about 3 weeks those Perigrino numbers will be a little lower as well as the temperature. Perfect walking day for me would be waking up at about 5 or 6 C and maxing out at about 10 or so. Love walking in cool and brisk weather. I would take 0C any day of the week over 35C. But that is me. Have fun and keep us up to date. Check out that

Hi Trish , I will be starting out on October 14 from Sevilla. I am sure you will pass me sooner rather than later as I am going to keep my stages especially early on under 25k. I will also take more than 2 rest days. There are places I would like to take a break but I think it is most important to rest even my body tells me to. I will post if there are problems with lodging in albergues. GronE is up to date I believe. The other day I posted link from the Asociación Caminos Vía de la Plata with a list of open private albergues
Hope this helps.
I will post if there are issues and maybe we will run into each other along the way.
I would prefer slightly shorter stages but due to us Brits having to adhere to the 90 day visa requirement (and I will have spent 7 weeks in Europe already this summer) I only have 40 days to spare - so opting for longer stages and 2 rest days and a final free day in Santiago. I'll look out for updates on FB! thanks.

Thanks for the info. I'm def going to call 1-2 days ahead as there is nothing more demoralising than finding you have to keep walking when you were looking forward to an end of the day beer!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would prefer slightly shorter stages but due to us Brits having to adhere to the 90 day visa requirement (and I will have spent 7 weeks in Europe already this summer) I only have 40 days to spare - so opting for longer stages and 2 rest days and a final free day in Santiago. I'll look out for updates on FB! thanks.
That 90 day visa requirement sure is a pain isn't it!

Thanks
Peter
Hi Peter

Apologies for the late reply, I recently returned from walking the Camino Francés and am still catching up with correspondence.

I have been updating the list of albergues as I receive new information. In the last week there have been three updates about two newly reopened albergues and one which has closed temporarily (Almadén de la Plata, Fontanillas de Castro and Monesterio).

I would appreciate it if anyone walking could also send me updates to my email. I'll be keeping this page up-to-date as long as it's useful to people: caminoguidecontact@gmail.com

Best wishes
Gerald

Last edited:

Thanks
Peter
Sorry, I neglected to answer your question about a tent.

I have no particular opinion on tents, it's a personal choice. Personally I never carry a tent and have always found accommodation.

Feedback from people currently walking indicates that this Camino is doable with a little bit more planning ahead than in a "normal year". Also, more flexibility as regards accommodation options (hotels, etc.)

Gerald

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry, I neglected to answer your question about a tent.

I have no particular opinion on tents, it's a personal choice. Personally I never carry a tent and have always found accommodation.

Feedback from people currently walking indicates that this Camino is doable with a little bit more planning ahead than in a "normal year". Also, more flexibility as regards accommodation options (hotels, etc.)

Gerald
Thnx Gerald. I’m on my way now. Already 5th track. Indeed no tents or matresses required. Most Hostels are open and in some villages even the Alb Municipals re-open.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back