A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

albergues?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis June '16 Ingles July '17
Portuguese Sept'18 El Norte Sept '19
Hi There
I plan, along with my two sisters, to start the El Norte in September. For this first year we will start from Irun and finish in Bilbao. As this is their first camino we have opted to stay in some small hotels as well as guesthouses. I am also keen to spend 3 of our nights in private albergues. I wondered if anyone can recommend any locations here?

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
I have walked the Norte and I would recommend staying in as many albergues as you can. You will have a better opportunity to meet other pilgrims this way. Depending on when you plan to walk, especially non peak season you may not see as many pilgrims as it is not a very popular camino (although the first section has the most pilgrims). With all the hills you will be going up it doesn't lend itself to conversation as much. I also found in my experience only, there tends to be alot of people, like myself who enjoy walking in solitude and silence. I would refer you to the Gronze.com app and check the comments that other pilgrims have left regarding private and public albergues, and hostels. If your Spanish level is poor open it in Google Chrome and it will do a pretty good job of translation. The Wise Pilgrim app also has comments but no where near as many as Gronze. I am sure others will post their favorites. Buen Camino.

H Richards

Camino(s) past & future
May/June 2017 Francés
Oct 2017 Le Puy / Francés (parts)
June/July 2018 Norte
Oct/Nov 2018 Francés
Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Norte and I would recommend staying in as many albergues as you can. You will have a better opportunity to meet other pilgrims this way. Depending on when you plan to walk, especially non peak season you may not see as many pilgrims as it is not a very popular camino (although the first section has the most pilgrims). With all the hills you will be going up it doesn't lend itself to conversation as much. I also found in my experience only, there tends to be alot of people, like myself who enjoy walking in solitude and silence. I would refer you to the Gronze.com app and check the comments that other pilgrims have left regarding private and public albergues, and hostels. If your Spanish level is poor open it in Google Chrome and it will do a pretty good job of translation. The Wise Pilgrim app also has comments but no where near as many as Gronze. I am sure others will post their favorites. Buen Camino.
Thank you so much and am so pleased as was keen to experience as many Albergues as we could. Will certainly look into al the suggestions you have made here and again many thanks 🙏

Camino(s) past & future
Albergue Andiketxe was lovely, that's recommended:

In Bilbao I found the Metropolitan Hostel to be good, central and reasonable price.
Great as we plan to stop in Bilbao this year and then start from there in 2020. Very much appreciate your advice and taking the time to reply. We are a tad nervous as first week on El Norte does look challenging so was keen to make sure after a demanding days hike that there would not be issues with accommodation 😀

H Richards

Camino(s) past & future
May/June 2017 Francés
Oct 2017 Le Puy / Francés (parts)
June/July 2018 Norte
Oct/Nov 2018 Francés
Oh and stop here on your first day instead of San Sebastian:

This albergue has the best view of the camino, and there are great restaurants below on the road that runs along the side of the bay out to the ocean. Just an amazing place!

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 153 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 25.0%