• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alberques between Porto & Santiago

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
Has anyone kept track of opening times and costs for alberques between Porto and Santiago? What about kitchens where making dinner at the alberque makes sense? Here are the locations I am particularly interested in:

Rates
Portela
Ponte de Lima (5 p.m., 5 euro)
Rubiaes
Tui
Redondela
Caldas de Reis
Padron
Teo

MANY THANKS!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Most are open after 5pm this time of, a few open earlier.

Ponte de Lima has an amazing kitchen and most of the other albergues are pretty modern and well set up.

To find the poorly marked refuge in Caldas de Reis stand on the old Roman Bridge and look behind the large willow tree.

The boys at Portela are very welcoming, but the shower is solar heated and not always that warm this time of year.

Teo is out of town a fair way and best to stock up on food before getting there.

Thank you for this information. We will be walking in mid September 2011. Do the opening times change based on the time of year or are they generally open at 5? With a 5 p.m. opening, do your clothes actually have any chance to dry at all?? On the French Route, it was nice that many opened at 1 or 2 p.m. so clothes were actually dry before evening. If anyone happened to journal opening times and/or charges, I would greatly appreciate specific information. Am trying to budget both time and money. Has anyone stayed in the new private alberques in Tui and Rondonela? Looks like they are both 12 euro in "high season" but open at 1 p.m. I am also trying to figure out whether to try to stay at the alberque in Ponte de Lima or to make a reservation at a hotel/hostel since it will be as the Festival gets into full swing. Thank you very much for whatever additional you can provide!

Here is what I have been able to figure out thus far:
Charge Open time
Rates 2 p.m.
Ponte de Lima 5 euro 5 p.m.
Rubiaes
Tui 5 euro 5 p.m.
Rondondela 5 euro 5 p.m.
Caldas de Reis 5 euro
Padron 5 euro
Teos 5 euro

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well I can tell you that drying clothes in December in Portugal was a difficult, took 3 days for a pair of socks! But should be fine in September, we've never had problems drying stuff that time of the year on other routes.

Some do open earlier, or can be called to open earlier, numbers are usually on the door.

Worth noting the the church alberque in Tui has a dinning room but no kitchen. Alberque in Ponte de Lima is very large and you shouldn't have any problems getting a bed there for the night.

Here is what I have been able to figure out thus far:
Charge Open time
Rates 2 p.m.
Ponte de Lima 5 euro 5 p.m.
Rubiaes
Tui 5 euro 5 p.m.
Rondondela 5 euro 5 p.m.
Caldas de Reis 5 euro
Padron 5 euro
Teos 5 euro

Rates is a lovely albergue with lovely people who run it. Everyone should stop here - it's a pleasure. I was there last November and was invited to the 'chestnut feast' with loads of wine, to which we contributed. Unexshpected and really nishe.

Tamel is in a beautiful building and the hospitalero there is a good one. A nice place to stop too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, Rates and many other albergues in Portugal are lovely and often pretty empty when compared to their Spanish counterparts. Your comment about the chestnuts very apropos too… we were often offered walnuts. As I write this I am taking a break from organising my trip photos with chestnuts roasting on the range.. takes me back…

July 2011

Rates - donativo - key from shop -aftyer 1pm
Tamal -4 euros ( widely agreed as favourite) -1pm
Ponte de Lima - 3 euros - 5pm ( a wee bit late)
Rubiaes - donativo - key from nearest restaurant after 1pm
Valenca - 4 euros - 3pm

ESPANA

Tui -5 euros -1pm (not available until 8pm for pilgrims coming from Valenca)
Porrino -5 euros - 1pm
Mos -5 euros -1pm (key from cafe)
Redondela - 5 euros 1pm
Ponteverda - 5 euros -1pm
Caldas De Rais -5 euros -1pm
Padron -5 euros -1pm
Teo - 5 euros - open all day -very relaxed

I stayed in Porrino, Redondela, Pontevedra and Padron last September and they all opened at around 1pm and cost 5 euros.

I remember Padron has a well furnished kitchen, but I'm not sure about the others.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi. Is it necessary to have a sleeping bag when staying at any of these albergues? I plan to walk the Camino Portugués in May 2012. Thank you for any advice. Jill, in South Africa.

Thank you for your reply. So do they not provide blankets at all? I was hoping I could carry just a sleeping bag liner. Jill.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ño, they do not provide that. And I can understand why not. Lots of volunteers to run the albergues. Low prices or only a donation. Economical problems in this area. I hope the albergues will not shut down as already happened in Spain so I read.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back