• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Albertagirl on the Levante

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances; Aragones; VdlP; Madrid-Invierno; Levante
I have been thinking of your recent walk, and how you had to sleep outside several times. I have had huge problems trying to find accommodations on the Levante, finally culminating this afternoon in a telephone conversation with the reservation person at the Posada in Higueruela. She informed me that there will not be any available accommodation there tomorrow and there's nothing else in town, with the albergue closed. I can't stay here, so my options are to sleep outside or to try to find a bus to take me on to some less busy place, where I can relax a bit and hopefully book far enough ahead to not need to sleep outside.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you. I am an experienced camper and I have good gear at home. But I thought that, having sufficient funds I could just book rooms for the night. I was wrong. But with my current health I thought that I could not carry camping gear. I was right about that. So I manage as best I can. But I only have a sleeping bag and that feels inadequate at present. However, I am a pilgrim and I walk in faith.

However, I am a pilgrim and I walk in faith.
Oh, dear...
I do hope you can find someplace in Higueruela, Albertagirl. Here is another possibility:

La Casa de la Florencia
C. Sta. Quiteria, 48, 02694 Higueruela, Albacete

Wishing you a very good camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since I have no accommodation at Higueruela and there is bus service from Alpera, where I spent last night, I have decided to take a bus to Albacete today and have booked a room there. That should put me a day ahead of schedule instead of my current day behind and I have a bed to sleep in, instead of a field. As for tomorrow, who knows? I have experienced the ongoing kindness of the local people and the ongoing perversity of my IPhone. This is certainly an adventure.

Since I have no accommodation at Higueruela and there is bus service from Alpera, where I spent last night, I have decided to take a bus to Albacete today and have booked a room there. That should put me a day ahead of schedule instead of my current day behind and I have a bed to sleep in, instead of a field. As for tomorrow, who knows? I have experienced the ongoing kindness of the local people and the ongoing perversity of my IPhone. This is certainly an adventure.
Albertagirl,
So glad to read that you have a bed for tonight! Wishing you a good day and the pleasure of a comfy sleep

Don't forget to give us your feedback about the various options for walking into Toledo as you get there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That should put me a day ahead of schedule instead of my current day behind and I have a bed to sleep in, instead of a field
Perfect solution.

I hope the rest of the way is enough of an adventure without being too much of one, @Albertagirl . We're cheering for you on the sidelines - buen camino!

Good luck Albertagirl! I have been thinking about you as you make your way and send prayers for your safety and comfort.

Don't forget to give us your feedback about the various options for walking into Toledo as you get there.
@Doughnut NZ
As @peregrina2000 has kindly booked a room for me at Hostal Jalisco on my way to Toledo I shall
go there on the date agreed on, or get in touch with them if a change of date is needed. I certainly prefer the 20k day to Ajofrin over the options available. If I survive the experience, I promise to let you know.
Albertagirl

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So where to from Albacete? Hoping to hear good news. I personally think Albacete is a depressing little place, but I think it was heavily damaged in the Civil War.

How is the weather treating you @Albertagirl? I’m in Lugo and it was a bright sunny cool day. No complaints!
I stayed in Albacete last night. Hotel Castilla is very nice, and walked to Hotel los Gabrieles this morning, arriving by noon. Today was
the best day for weather yet: cool, breezy and overcast. But the forecast for tomorrow and and the next day offers day-long rain with clouds, then back to the perpetual heat. I am walking to Hotel Juanito tomorrow, which seems a pleasant place to relax in a bath after a long, wet day. After that, I seem to have run out of options again- no nearby accommodation. This is what my days are like. I am constantly on the edge of running out of rooms for the night. Then I find a way to go on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thinking of you.... hoping your walk will continue to settle out, that the feeling of living on the edge will be alleviated by better circumstances.... and that the adventure with cool days, perfect for walking, will hold you in faith.
Ultriea.

Yesterday was my first long day on this camino- from Hostal los Gabrieles on the Autovía Alicante to La Roda is just short of 30 k. with a stop for lunch in La Gineta. I was pretty weary at the end of it. But a cool, cloudy and breezy day made it doable. For most of the day, I walked with another pilgrim, who had stayed by chance in the same hotel, but we met when he caught up to me along the trail. His company made it easier to keep up my pace and to enjoy the details of the rural Spanish countryside. He had found an albergue, while I stayed in a comfortable hotel. I expect to see him again along the way. I have no idea where I shall sleep tonight. As usual, my chosen accommodation is not available. I'm still looking, and today promises to be a day much like yesterday, as I settle into Spanish country walking. Now, I must get back to looking for a bed for the night while I still have wifi: my data does not work. Buen dia a todos. Albertagirl

Buen dia to you Albertagirl! Thanks for your update. Good to know that you met another pilgrim and chatted for a km or more. ..After this camino you will be expert in ad hoc walking
Carpe diem !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yesterday was my first long day on this camino- from Hostal los Gabrieles on the Autovía Alicante to La Roda is just short of 30 k. with a stop for lunch in La Gineta. I was pretty weary at the end of it. But a cool, cloudy and breezy day made it doable. For most of the day, I walked with another pilgrim, who had stayed by chance in the same hotel, but we met when he caught up to me along the trail. His company made it easier to keep up my pace and to enjoy the details of the rural Spanish countryside. He had found an albergue, while I stayed in a comfortable hotel. I expect to see him again along the way. I have no idea where I shall sleep tonight. As usual, my chosen accommodation is not available. I'm still looking, and today promises to be a day much like yesterday, as I settle into Spanish country walking. Now, I must get back to looking for a bed for the night while I still have wifi: my data does not work. Buen dia a todos. Albertagirl
Hi @Albertagirl
Wow - I’ve only just seen this ‘live’ thread - and it’s really ‘live’ - nuts and bolts & all that.
I can only add that I’m so impressed with your perseverance , fortitude & faith .

Good on you …I was pleased to read on and see you’d worked your way around the problems of accommodation even if it was under the stars??? I’m glad you had some pilgrim company for a while yesterday and I’m sure that’s given you hope that things will get a bit better with your accommodation plans as you move along. What an adventure !
Are you choosing just to use wifi - or won’t your data package pick up any signal ?

Buen camino
& I’m also part of that cheer squad that @VNwalking mentions.
Annie x

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Once again, no where on booking.com for me to sleep tonight, after I managed to find a room for last night, but off the camino. When I am ready to leave here I shall ask the management if they have any good ideas for a bed for tonight in San Clemente.

Good luck!

Hotel Restaurante Milan I and Milan II don't seem to be on a booking website so maybe more luck there?

When I am ready to leave here I shall ask the management if they have any good ideas for a bed for tonight in San Clemente.
Good idea!
(Booking.com takes a big cut, so not everyone uses them. Right now someone on the Frances said they saw no availability on Booking, but there are actually beds available. )

I am now settled in in Hotel Plaza in San Clemente, after another interesting day. I went from incredible luxury at Bogada da Venta to a basic private room in Hotel Plaza in San Clemente, but the difference in cost is minor. I still don't know where I shall stay tomorrow, that is my next chore. Wish me luck.

Wish me luck.
It sounds like accommodation is a real headache right now. No word about your knee, though, and I hope that means it's treating you well!

Is the albergue in Las Pedroneras not open? A pity. But it looks like Hostal El Bomba is a possibility.

Wishing you luck, for sure.
And a buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been thinking of your recent walk, and how you had to sleep outside several times. I have had huge problems trying to find accommodations on the Levante, finally culminating this afternoon in a telephone conversation with the reservation person at the Posada in Higueruela. She informed me that there will not be any available accommodation there tomorrow and there's nothing else in town, with the albergue closed. I can't stay here, so my options are to sleep outside or to try to find a bus to take me on to some less busy place, where I can relax a bit and hopefully book far enough ahead to not need to sleep outside.
So sorry to hear this. I have had trouble with reservations for San Salvador, Primitivo and Frances. Luckily will be in Santiago Monday and be finished with making reservations all day long

Albertagirl, here is some info from 2019. I stayed mostly in private places - hotels. The following might help you in the coming days If your weather holds, you are in for a spectacular walk between toledo and avila -- it was my favorite part!.
Las Pedroñeras : convento del sagrado corazón
moto del cuervo: hotel royal plaza
(if you have some time, spend a bit of time in el taboso -- lots of interesting man of la mancha things and museum. in villa don fadrique a guy had just opened a new private albergue. (I didn't stay because it was too early in the day)
quint. de la orden: hotel alonzo
vilacañas: hotel europa
temblique: o posada (beautiful)
mora: los conejas (and the camino picks up right across the street!)
toledo: hotel centro Toledo was tough.
There was nothing in mascaraque, almonacid, nambroca or burguillos de toledo at that time, so I just bought an ice cream in burguillos and pressed on ... 39KM but the hotel centro is just there on the town square after you circle part way around the city, go down, cross the river and come up again. (NW corner of the square)

Hope this helps you out some
Fran

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Albertagirl, here is some info from 2019. I stayed mostly in private places - hotels. The following might help you in the coming days If your weather holds, you are in for a spectacular walk between toledo and avila -- it was my favorite part!.
Las Pedroñeras : convento del sagrado corazón
moto del cuervo: hotel royal plaza
(if you have some time, spend a bit of time in el taboso -- lots of interesting man of la mancha things and museum. in villa don fadrique a guy had just opened a new private albergue. (I didn't stay because it was too early in the day)
quint. de la orden: hotel alonzo
vilacañas: hotel europa
temblique: o posada (beautiful)
mora: los conejas (and the camino picks up right across the street!)
toledo: hotel centro Toledo was tough.
There was nothing in mascaraque, almonacid, nambroca or burguillos de toledo at that time, so I just bought an ice cream in burguillos and pressed on ... 39KM but the hotel centro is just there on the town square after you circle part way around the city, go down, cross the river and come up again. (NW corner of the square)

Hope this helps you out some
Fran
Thanks so much, Fran,
I have been blessed by a room in Hotel San Isidro in Quintanar de la Orden, where by chance I arrived by bus from Mota del Cuervo. A
woman saw me at the bus depot, opened a conversation and offered to ask her friend, who works here, whether there was a space for a peregrina for tonight. The answer was affirmative, so she offered to drive me to the hotel. She has gone on my list of helpers to be prayed for in the cathedral in Santiago. Now I am checked in is a good time to look at your accommodation suggestions and make as many bookings as I can. I think I will eat first.

Thanks so much, Fran,
I have been blessed by a room in Hotel San Isidro in Quintanar de la Orden, where by chance I arrived by bus from Mota del Cuervo. A
woman saw me at the bus depot, opened a conversation and offered to ask her friend, who works here, whether there was a space for a peregrina for tonight. The answer was affirmative, so she offered to drive me to the hotel. She has gone on my list of helpers to be prayed for in the cathedral in Santiago. Now I am checked in is a good time to look at your accommodation suggestions and make as many bookings as I can. I think I will eat first.
Albertagirl,
What a happy post this is; camino caritas by chance. Perfect. Enjoy your lunch.

The answer was affirmative, so she offered to drive me to the hotel. She has gone on my list of helpers to be prayed for in the cathedral in Santiago. Now I am checked in is a good time to look at your accommodation suggestions and make as many bookings as I can. I think I will eat first.
Good news, @Albertagirl.
Many challenges, but I hope it will get easier, at least in terms of places to lay your head at night,
I hope the lunch was good!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The lunch was adequate but the afternoon was unpleasant, to say the least. The combination of my determined stubbornness and the repeated muddles happening with my bookings left me just short of screaming frustration. And the agents of booking.com were very fortunate not to experience my increasing rage. Now I am sitting in the dining room eating again and watching the lava flow down to the sea on Palma en el tele. And counting my blessings that I am far away from the terrible outbreaks of Covid taking place in my home province of Alberta. If I am alone here, if I do not know from one day to that next whether I shall have a bed to sleep in or a roof over my head, I am much more fortunate than the exhausted health care workers at home. I am counting my blessings, as I did i n my previous post, and hoping for better days for all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The lunch was adequate but the afternoon was unpleasant, to say the least. The combination of my determined stubbornness and the repeated muddles happening with my bookings left me just short of screaming frustration. And the agents of booking.com were very fortunate not to experience my increasing rage. Now I am sitting in the dining room eating again and watching the lava flow down to the sea on Palma en el tele. And counting my blessings that I am far away from the terrible outbreaks of Covid taking place in my home province of Alberta. If I am alone here, if I do not know from one day to that next whether I shall have a bed to sleep in or a roof over my head, I am much more fortunate than the exhausted health care workers at home. I am counting my blessings, as I did i n my previous post, and hoping for better days for all.
Good luck Albertagirl! Your "determined stubbornness" will serve you well. I am keeping a close eye on the situation in Alberta - I have many friends and family members there - and it is looking quite scary. As a retired nurse I can well imagine what it is like in health care right now. And my area of British Columbia isn't doing great either. Sending prayers for your journey and hoping things get a little easier for you.

@Albertagirl

I’m amazed that you are remaining reasonably balanced!

I’m torn between admiration for your response to your insecure state and sadness at the relentless difficulty you are experiencing just finding a bed for the night, compounded by your mobile’s ‘ongoing perversity’ ..

You are a resourceful woman and I trust you will continue to receive the ‘kindness of strangers’.
But it would be so good if it wasn’t such tough going for you …

Hope your knee’s behaving itself …

Go well and may your angel continue to guide and guard you.

Godspeed, @Albertagirl.
We can only empathize from out here, but I add my voice and my prayers to those of others.

And very practically I'm glad you are getting help. Geeze...phone data hassles mean your challenges are that much harder! You probably know this, but calling places directly is better than Booking - which can be unreliable for people wanting rooms, and is an expense for those offering them. If you don't feel confident to ring yourself, asking someone the night before to help works really well. For us 20, 30, or 40kms are a world away, but for local people that's nothing. So they often know what's open or available in the next pueblo that may not be online.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alberta Girl, have you tried using alternative booking sites?
Trivago.com Posts availability from many booking sites including booking.com,
Agoda.com, Hotels.com, the actual hotels, and others. Try using Trivago if you can’t get availability through booking.

Currently we are on the CF with prebooked reservations, but I have heard some pilgrims, here too, struggling to find-places to stay. Projecting a week ahead may be a safer alternative. You have the “shoe” experience to know where you are likely to wind up so projecting out and days ahead may be a better option for now.
We are praying for you and are by your side in Spirit.

Last edited:

€60,-
Alberta girl, sounds like you are having quite the experience. I hope you are able to find accomodations from here on out. Have you given any thought to skipping up to the Frances?

alternative booking sites?
Trivago.com Posts availability from many booking sites including booking.com,
Agoda.com, Hotels.com, the actual hotels, and others. Try using Trivago if you can’t get availability through booking.
Ringing directly is best for the peregrina and best for the inkeeper. There are rooms to be had that are not available online, and the proprieter doesn't lose money from fees. I speak only.a little Spanish and so don't do well speaking in the phone. That's where locals can really be a big help.

Hello friends,
I am moving into booking my own accommodation. This is not easy for those of us with limited Spanish. But with the appropriate combination of determination and humility it may be possible. You also need to get information, ie phone numbers. I phoned for a room for tomorrow in Mora and it was done in about two minutes, with just a reminder of the address from whoever answered the phone. I shall see how this goes. And a day or two later I shall be taking off for Toledo by way of Jalisco, thank to @peregrina2000 and @Doughnut NZ . Yes, I should have more and better Spanish, but I chose to focus on information about the route. I hope that I made the right choice.
blessings to all,
Albertagirl

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am moving into booking my own accommodation.

This is great news, @Albertagirl. You could also try WhatsApp if the accommodations list cell phone numbers. I find that works exceptionally well in Spain. But if you don’t have or use WhatsApp it may be too big of an ordeal for you to add it and learn to use it.

Lots of your armchair traveler forum friends are hoping for the best of everything for you on this camino. Can’t believe you are almost in Toledo. Are you planning a rest day or two in that magnificent place?

At least one rest day in Toledo, @peregrina2000. But if I can pass through Jalisco a day sooner than my original schedule (I believe that you booked me there for October 2)
I could now have two days in Toledo. I am arriving tomorrow in Mora (September 30), and could stay in Jalisco October 1, which would give me an extra day in Toledo by my present schedule. But perhaps I would not be wise to crowd my current schedule without need. I shall decide later.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is not easy for those of us with limited Spanish. But with the appropriate combination of determination and humility it may be possible.
It is! I am shy on the phone because of congenital hearing loss, and have terrible Spanish - especially when it comes to comprehension of words spoken at triple speed. So I struggle making reservations on the phone. But asking for help has been a door opener. You're right. Determination snd humility. But you're managing quite well from the sound of it.

So close to Toledo.
Sounds like a nice walk today~
This is a stage without stops in between, so take a packed lunch and plenty of water. Unless you divert via Villanueva de Bogas, which is on the Sureste.

At least one rest day in Toledo, @peregrina2000.
I know I have sung its praises before, but the pulsera turística is great. It includes admission to many of the “secondary” sites in Toledo — former mosque, former synagogue, bell tower with terrific view, etc, It also takes you on a walking tour through some of the more out of the way areas (if there is such a place in Toledo). I loved having it.

And Toledo at night, when all the day-tour-buses have left, is something to behold. Lots of illumination, very few people, just great.

And I wouldn’t worry about changing the date on the reservation, in fact you should let me know if you want me to call and do that.

I know I have sung its praises before, but the pulsera turística is great. It includes admission to many of the “secondary” sites in Toledo — former mosque, former synagogue, bell tower with terrific view, etc, It also takes you on a walking tour through some of the more out of the way areas (if there is such a place in Toledo). I loved having it.

And Toledo at night, when all the day-tour-buses have left, is something to behold. Lots of illumination, very few people, just great.

And I wouldn’t worry about changing the date on the reservation, in fact you should let me know if you want me to call and do that.
I a working my way through another muddle and would appreciate your help if you would have a look at a couple of conversations which I have attempted to initiate.
Albertagirl

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, @Albertagirl, I have seen your PM and responded. Just to say that I have called the Hostal Jalisco, and they are expecting you tomorrow night. Oct. 2 must have been the day I originally told them when I called. The man is very nice and understanding. I told them I would call back to cancel if you are not planning to arrive.

Is there no way for you to walk tomorrow from Mora to Ajofrín? I think you have the tracks and it looks like a nice walk! I know it must be hard to maintain optimism and energy, but fingers crossed this is another muddle that can soon be put behind you.

You have this, @Albertagirl !

I sometimes remind myself when things seem overly complicated, that if worse comes to worse, I can afford a taxi and taxi drivers always seem to know who is likely to have a bed. I’ve only once needed to rely on that - and that was in Mexico! It’s part of my budget too - and if not needed, it can go to the cost of a luxury somewhere near the end. I think it helps me to set aside the worry while I’m walking.

@peregrina2000 - an online camino Angel.

What I ifind challenging at present is to tell the enraged and bullying hospitalero that I shall not go with him tomorrow. But my walk was very difficult yesterday and I was unsure of my route. There was nowhere to buy any food all day, although I had lots of water. However, I met a kind woman who was confident of the way and she walked me into Mora.
I shall try to walk to Ajofrin tomorrow. That's all I can say at the moment.
Mary Louise

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Heartfelt buen camino, Mary Louse. It sounds like a more than normally challenging camino this time. I hope at some point you can just relax into walking without concern about accommodation, but conditions sound like they're not so supportivr right now.

Heartfelt buen camino, Mary Louse. It sounds like a more than normally challenging camino this time. I hope at some point you can just relax into walking without concern about accommodation, but conditions sound like they're not so supportivr right now.
I cheer and encourage every step and section you take, Albertagirl! However, , might it be wise, perhaps, ?? to consider an alternate route with, perhaps less concern of directionality, and accommodations at this point? Know I admire your tenacity, but the daily stress of walking without surety of a place to say, and losing one’s way, may be partially offsetting the beauty of the route. Whatever…we are with you!

Now I in Ajofrin, going on to Toledo tomorrow, there no way I would bypass one of the high points of my camino. I do hope that the albergue in Rielves will be open my first night after Toledo. as I understand that no other accommodation is available there.

do hope that the albergue in Rielves will be open my first night after Toledo. as I understand that no other accommodation is available there.
Being the officious intermeddler that I am :p I took it upon myself to call the parish in Rielves. I spoke with the padre to ask about accommodation. They have two rooms (no shower) but you are welcome to stay there. The priest himself will not be around on Tuesday, which is the day I have told him I thought you would arrive, but he is going to leave the key with the Señora Begonia who lives on the Calle de la Iglesia in front of the church. He didn’t remember the house number but if you ask for Begonia, you will find her.

There is a small store in town, which closes very early in the afternoon, closed for sure by 6 pm. There is also a bar on the highway, El Pistón, which will serve food.

So I hope this helps, and if you plan to arrive on Wednesday, I am sure the señora will still have the key but I would try to contact the priest again to tell him the date.

So, relax and enjoy the Jalisco and your nights in Toledo. Buen camino, Laurie

Being the officious intermeddler that I am :p I took it upon myself to call the parish in Rielves. I spoke with the padre to ask about accommodation. They have two rooms (no shower) but you are welcome to stay there. The priest himself will not be around on Tuesday, which is the day I have told him I thought you would arrive, but he is going to leave the key with the Señora Begonia who lives on the Calle de la Iglesia in front of the church. He didn’t remember the house number but if you ask for Begonia, you will find her.

There is a small store in town, which closes very early in the afternoon, closed for sure by 6 pm. There is also a bar on the highway, El Pistón, which will serve food.

So I hope this helps, and if you plan to arrive on Wednesday, I am sure the señora will still have the key but I would try to contact the priest again to tell him the date.

So, relax and enjoy the Jalisco and your nights in Toledo. Buen camino, Laurie
An officious intermeddler is just what is needed! 1633188132049.png

For showerless places, the piscina municipal can sometimes provide a remedy, although in covid days, many are still not open. It's sometimes worth a try.

I sympathize with Albertagirl, as I have often been on the obscure caminos, and the exhaustion and isolation (especially for those of us with little or no castellano) can be overwhelming. Still, Spanish hospitality and cooking can often serve as an excellent remedy.

Now I in Ajofrin, going on to Toledo tomorrow, there no way I would bypass one of the high points of my camino. I do hope that the albergue in Rielves will be open my first night after Toledo. as I understand that no other accommodation is available there.
Great going, how was the walk into Ajofrin? 🚶‍♀️

You have this, @Albertagirl !

I sometimes remind myself when things seem overly complicated, that if worse comes to worse, I can afford a taxi and taxi drivers always seem to know who is likely to have a bed. I’ve only once needed to rely on that - and that was in Mexico! It’s part of my budget too - and if not needed, it can go to the cost of a luxury somewhere near the end. I think it helps me to set aside the worry while I’m walking.

@peregrina2000 - an online camino Angel.
Well I tried a taxi ride, so your suggestion bore fruit and brought me here to Ajofrin, where I am very comfortable and treated like a princess by the staff. If I don't think about it, I might forget that €30 charged by the driver for a fairly short ride. But he was, as they say "the only game in town."
Great going, how was the walk into Ajofrin? 🚶‍♀️
I don't really know what happened. It took me a long time to find the route from Mora, because I was confused by the different tracks which seemed to have appeared since I last looked at it. There were yellow tracks which I didn't recognize. Finally I sorted it out. Go north on the route to Toledo. On the north edge of town there's a large Día Max store straight ahead. Go left before the store, following a sign which points towards Villaminaya, the halfway point on the way to Ajofrin. I followed this route as best I could, with very few references to my phone, which wasn't holding a charge well: under one highway overpass and over a second. I seemed to be following the route of Don Quixote, which had frequent markers. A glance at my phone showed that the direction arrow seemed to be floating in the middle of nowhere. Eventually I walked into a town which, to my amazement, proved to be Mascaraque. I wandered around for a while trying to figure out how to go on. Eventually, a girl on duty at the social centre/bar agreed to telephone someone with a car who provides a personal taxi service and could ferry me to Ajofrin. She suggested a fare of €5 or €10. He insisted on €30. That was my day. Today, on to Toledo. I have checked and the route is both obvious and marked- yellow arrows.

Well I tried a taxi ride, so your suggestion bore fruit and brought me here to Ajofrin, where I am very comfortable and treated like a princess by the staff. If I don't think about it, I might forget that €30 charged by the driver for a fairly short ride. But he was, as they say "the only game in town."

I don't really know what happened. It took me a long time to find the route from Mora, because I was confused by the different tracks which seemed to have appeared since I last looked at it. There were yellow tracks which I didn't recognize. Finally I sorted it out. Go north on the route to Toledo. On the north edge of town there's a large Día Max store straight ahead. Go left before the store, following a sign which points towards Villaminaya, the halfway point on the way to Ajofrin. I followed this route as best I could, with very few references to my phone, which wasn't holding a charge well: under one highway overpass and over a second. I seemed to be following the route of Don Quixote, which had frequent markers. A glance at my phone showed that the direction arrow seemed to be floating in the middle of nowhere. Eventually I walked into a town which, to my amazement, proved to be Mascaraque. I wandered around for a while trying to figure out how to go on. Eventually, a girl on duty at the social centre/bar agreed to telephone someone with a car who provides a personal taxi service and could ferry me to Ajofrin. She suggested a fare of €5 or €10. He insisted on €30. That was my day. Today, on to Toledo. I have checked and the route is both obvious and marked- yellow arrows.
I do hope you can manage to let the taxi price float away. It will lighten your load, and you can imagine it is being spent on treats for grandchildren...
I am following your camino with bated breath, and willing for you to reach your end goal. Enjoy Toledo. Impressive. My first taste of figs plucked from a tree was in that very place!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What I ifind challenging at present is to tell the enraged and bullying hospitalero that I shall not go with him tomorrow. But my walk was very difficult yesterday and I was unsure of my route. There was nowhere to buy any food all day, although I had lots of water. However, I met a kind woman who was confident of the way and she walked me into Mora.
I shall try to walk to Ajofrin tomorrow. That's all I can say at the moment.
Mary Louise
I am going out right now from my comfortable hotel in central Toledo to buy a pulsera turistico at the tourist office. I need a rest and inspiration.

It appears that the joke is still on me. I saw a sign referring to the purchase of a pulsero turistico at the entrance to a Jesuit church in central Toledo and went to the woman at the window to request one. She advised against the purchase unless I would be in Toledo for several days, since all the displays would be closed Monday and Tuesday for descansar. Maybe I shall just walk around tomorrow and see some of the interesting buildings and monuments from the outside. James Michener has a list in Iberia that would keep me busy for a day- all on my phone which is currently working.

It appears that the joke is still on me. I saw a sign referring to the purchase of a pulsero turistico at the entrance to a Jesuit church in central Toledo and went to the woman at the window to request one. She advised against the purchase unless I would be in Toledo for several days, since all the displays would be closed Monday and Tuesday for descansar. Maybe I shall just walk around tomorrow and see some of the interesting buildings and monuments from the outside. James Michener has a list in Iberia that would keep me busy for a day- all on my phone which is currently working.
😳

€60,-
Albertagirl, I get you were bummed over the taxi fare. But if you breakdown the cost per step…and the comfort of finally being in Ajofrin, to you, it was money, obviously well spent. Consider it-a donation to someone’s business that also was impacted by Covid 19! Great decision, girl! 😀

This happened to me in Vienna in the days when I eurrailpassed through six countries in a fortnight.

€60,-
Mascaraque... to Ajofrin. She suggested a fare of €5 or €10. He insisted on €30.
I think she was wrong. The standard rate that is often mentioned here on the forum and elsewhere is about €1 per kilometer. For a personal service with no opportunity for a return fare, the total distance of 34 km would suggest that €30 is a fair rate.

Maybe I shall just walk around tomorrow and see some of the interesting buildings and monuments from the outside
Oh bad luck!! 😑
But maybe this is your chance to find your way out to Santa Maria de Melque? (Though given what taxis cost it may not be affordable.)

Whatever you do may it be rest for the body and mind.

A pity but meant to be, and not all that bad really.
If you have only one day and using your ‘guide on phone ‘ , there will be heaps to see. You can actually cover a lot of klms .. even walking around Toledo 😍😍😍😍😍
I spent 3 days there (procrastinating on departure day)…. I obtained the pulsera turistica band and went to the 7 monuments included on the one day - just did them in loop order so that I didn’t need to backtrack (this info is for those who are there when they are open ).
I found heaps more things to enjoy just wandering- so you’re okay there.
Did you enjoy the view walking into Toledo ??
I spent some of one of my days walking out to see & enjoy that view as i knew it was really something !
There were many special places not covered on the bracelet anyway.(screenshot under shows the 7 included monuments). I know you won’t miss out on visiting the beautiful cathedral !
I had used some of my free days walking out to the bridge (en route my start) to get my exit clear in my mind. I’m okay once I’m on my way in a camino.. but seem to be nervous to start.. 😂. Hence my procrastination and 3 days in Toledo .
No shortage of things to do though.
Due to walking to the bridge one day - I caught a taxi from my hotel back to the bridge on day 1 and walked to Torrijos but I was footsore that day. There was very little in Rielves or Barscience , Torrijas is large. (I had coffee in Rielves but didn’t feel very welcome -you might find your stop there will just what you need to relax and regroup.

Glad you’re back on track ! Your perseverance will be rewarded.

Buen camino

Attachments

• B26463F1-D88D-4C69-8987-46E01B04D6DB.png
    B26463F1-D88D-4C69-8987-46E01B04D6DB.png
    11.8 MB · Views: 17
I think she was wrong. The standard rate that is often mentioned here on the forum and elsewhere is about €1 per kilometer. For a personal service with no opportunity for a return fare, the total distance of 34 km would suggest that €30 is a fair rate.
What I have been thinking since is the vulnerability of a man who offers a private service to the people of his own community. His vehicle is not officially a taxi, nor marked as such. But much of the time those who need a ride here or there will rely on him and they will be the majority of his business. With bus service cut during the pandemic (so I was told) this could be a challenge for both parties, with outsiders his best chance for a profitable day.

I don't really know what happened. It took me a long time to find the route from Mora, because I was confused by the different tracks which seemed to have appeared since I last looked at it. There were yellow tracks which I didn't recognize.

Yes that is strange. Thinking back, I think that the yellow lines might have been your original "official" route but it is difficult to tell without seeing where they go.

Finally I sorted it out. Go north on the route to Toledo. On the north edge of town there's a large Día Max store straight ahead. Go left before the store, following a sign which points towards Villaminaya, the halfway point on the way to Ajofrin.

Yes, excellent, you found that way despite the confusing yellow lines and your phone difficulties.

I followed this route as best I could, with very few references to my phone, which wasn't holding a charge well: under one highway overpass and over a second.

Was the first underpass under the railway line rather than a highway? If it was then you were on the designed route.

It is important to remember that you were trailblazing this option for everyone else and so we all thank you for doing this and reporting back 🙏. It can be difficult to be a trailblazer especially with unreliable equipment.

I seemed to be following the route of Don Quixote, which had frequent markers.

Okay, that is a useful hint for anyone else who wants to try this alternative.

A glance at my phone showed that the direction arrow seemed to be floating in the middle of nowhere. Eventually I walked into a town which, to my amazement, proved to be Mascaraque.

Okay, that wasn't part of the designed route. That is on the old, "official" route.

If possible, would you please write some notes about any turns after the underpass under the railway line while this is still fresh in your memory and then after you get home and have some free time perhaps we could discuss what happened but don't let this take any time out of enjoying your Camino.

Today, on to Toledo. I have checked and the route is both obvious and marked- yellow arrows.

Any notes on this part of the route would also be useful but, again, only do this if you have time and it doesn't interfere with the rest of your pilgrimage. 🙏🙂⭐⭐

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just after the underpass there is a tricky bit (see screenshot) where there are two sets of divergent roads, if you took the right hand option twice then you would end up in Mascaraque.

Screenshot_20211004-225745~2.png

Unfortunately, Google Street View ends just before this intersection (see below) but it looks like the far right fork is the wider road and so it would be easy to take this fork rather than the central path, which is the one to Villaminaya.

Screenshot_20211004-230536~2.png

Last edited:
Dear friends,
I have said little about my time in Toledo, after I found out that the pulsera turística was not an option- too busy just surviving. My second morning in Toledo was a total change from the day before. I went to the cathedral for mass and a look around and spent the rest of the day as close to heaven as I ever hope to come in this life. I was welcomed as a pilgrim, my credencial stamped, and given free admission. I walked in the door and was hit with the feeling that this was a first view of the afterlife. So I stayed and wandered about for much of the rest of the day. I went on the next day to the very primitive albergue in Rielves, then to a comfortable hotel in Torrijos, where I did what I could to get my phone in better shape. Today's walk should show what success I had. That's it for now, as I don't really know at the moment where I am going today or how I shall get there. Another typical day on an Albertagirl camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

My phone is working better. After I took it to a phone store in Torrijos then to an Orange store for the monthly renewal payment, then back to the phone store, it now works better than before. I let it charge overnight. Both phone and charger were fully charged in the morning and the phone stayed at 100% all morning (currently at 99%) . The Chinese boys in the first store replaced both the phone battery and the connection cord. Both now seem to be working as designed. I hope that this may continue. Wish me luck.
Finding no accommodation in Escalona and an inexpensive place in Almorox just off the camino route, I decided to take a bus here (very hot for distance walking) and skip back onto the camino early tomorrow. This should put me at San Martin de Valdeiglesias by late tomorrow. I would sure appreciate some cooler weather. The route is climbing into the hills, but still getting hotter. I have not yet started looking for a bed for tomorrow night. I just keep on keeping on,
Albertagirl

My phone is working better. After I took it to a phone store in Torrijos then to an Orange store for the monthly renewal payment, then back to the phone store, it now works better than before. I let it charge overnight. Both phone and charger were fully charged in the morning and the phone stayed at 100% all morning (currently at 99%) . The Chinese boys in the first store replaced both the phone battery and the connection cord. Both now seem to be working as designed. I hope that this may continue. Wish me luck.
Finding no accommodation in Escalona and an inexpensive place in Almorox just off the camino route, I decided to take a bus here (very hot for distance walking) and skip back onto the camino early tomorrow. This should put me at San Martin de Valdeiglesias by late tomorrow. I would sure appreciate some cooler weather. The route is climbing into the hills, but still getting hotter. I have not yet started looking for a bed for tomorrow night. I just keep on keeping on,
Albertagirl

San Martin de Valdeiglesias.

You could try one of these bungalows?

44€

This one is in the centre of town and has an offer for 29 € for pilgrims!

Last edited:
Finding no accommodation in Escalona and an inexpensive place in Almorox just off the camino route, I decided to take a bus here (very hot for distance walking) and skip back onto the camino early tomorrow.
Almorox is on the Levante, just 23 kms from San Martín. Looks like you managed to both find a place to sleep and shorten what would otherwise be a 31 km stage tomorrow, from Escalona to San Martín. Glad things are working out. I hope you get your wish for cooler weather. Buen camino, Laurie

Amazing it's still so warm, and I hope you soon get some relief from that. But at least your phone is working. That's absolutely no small thing. May things steadily improve, especially as regards accommodation.
Buen camino, Albertagirl!

Finding no accommodation in Escalona

This is too late for Albertagirl, but I was thinking Escalona was still a possibility when I started to make contact. There is a Casa Rural in Escalona, La Plácida. They rent out individual rooms to pilgrims, 25 euros, breakfast optional at 5 euros. They use WhatsApp at 34 657 93 71 72, and the owner tells me he speaks English if people do not speak Spanish. So this is an option for others who are contemplating the Levante.

I am assuming the Escalona albergue is closed, is that what you found @Albertagirl? I remember it was a bit out of town, in the school complex, kind of in a garage like building, but had showers, beds, and all you needed.

Wishing you a continued buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Albertagirl

My next stage in the constant effort to keep the phone working. My system for organizing my many contacts seems to have collapsed into an arbitrary alphabetical order- everyplace called a hostal is now under "hostal" and then there are the "hotels": not very useful. I would never have found a possible place for tonight without help. Oh well.

I see that a reset is needed. Because contacts in English appear with the second line of a three line listing as alphabetical (family name) I set up my contacts so that address, that is, locations in towns, would all appear on the second lines in my geographical contacts: every hotel of interest in a town on that first line and the name of the town on the second, to keep them together. Now, I cannot find anything. Any bright ideas? I really can't go back to the shop in Torrijos and get them to do a reset. Or maybe I can, today, if I'm willing to lose a couple of days. What a muddle!

Last edited:
My system for organizing my many contacts seems to have collapsed into an arbitrary alphabetical order- everyplace called a hostal is now under "hostal" and then there are the "hotels":
Hi, Albertagirl,

I am not sure exactly where this collapse happened, but if it’s your phone contacts, I am pretty sure that you can still search for a contact using words other than the first word in the alphabetical list. What I mean by that is that if I am looking for the number for a contact that I entered as “Hostal el Pilar San Martín”, if I type in Pilar or Martin or even San as a search term, it will bring up that entry. So I think the search function isn’t hampered by the listing order of your contacts. If that makes sense.

Where are you staying tonight? Hope you had a good day today, I think that the terrain is starting to change and hopefully you had some nice forest walks.

Tomorrow starts the Puente del Pilar, the long four day weekend that ends on Oct. 12 next Tuesday. I think accommodations will be very hard to come by, so some advance planning is a good idea. Let us know if you need help.

And p.s. What was the name of the place you stayed in Almorox? The Valencia amigos guide lists two — Posada Bemi and Casa Rural Royal Almorox.

Any bright ideas?
No need to reset. In fact don't.
That's a good way to lose all your contacrs.
Check the settings of the app that manages your contact list. And change it as necessary.
In my Android it's easy.
Select "Apps' then scroll down to
'Contacts,' then select the settings icon on the right side.
What opens is this, which allows you to change first/last names as the default:
Screenshot_20211008-175957_Contacts.jpg

If you have an Apple it'll of course be different. I did a cursory search and found this:
You can choose how to sort your contacts, like alphabetically by first or last name. Just go to Settings > Contacts and choose from the following:

• Sort Order: Sort your contacts alphabetically by first or last name.
  • Display Order: Show contacts' first names before or after last names.
  • Short Name: Choose how your contact's name appears in apps like Mail, Messages, Phone, and more.

Or don't do anything at all.
Simply open your contacts and search by whatever part of the name comes after 'Hostal' or 'Hotel.'
If that makes sense.
It does. I tried it just now on my Samsung and it worked fine.

But reset? To be avoided at all costs. It will erase all your content and settings!

Go to settings, click on contacts. There is an option for the order they are displayed. (First name, last name - or - Last name, first name).

Or use the search function using the town’s name.

Good luck!

This is too late for Albertagirl, but I was thinking Escalona was still a possibility when I started to make contact. There is a Casa Rural in Escalona, La Plácida. They rent out individual rooms to pilgrims, 25 euros, breakfast optional at 5 euros. They use WhatsApp at 34 657 93 71 72, and the owner tells me he speaks English if people do not speak Spanish. So this is an option for others who are contemplating the Levante.
I am assuming the Escalona albergue is closed, is that what you found @Albertagirl? I remember it was a bit out of town, in the school complex, kind of in a garage like building, but had showers, beds, and all you needed.

Wishing you a continued buen camino.
@peregrina2000
My pilgrimage has been problematic so far for a couple of reasons. Where will I sleep? and How can I communicate with unreliable phone service? I came back to Torrijos on an early morning bus yesterday morning because my phone service had finally died. I spent the whole day in an Orange store, transferring the contents of my old iphone to an iphone 8 which they happened to have in stock, and finally collapsed into sleep. Now it's Saturday morning and there won't be another local bus until Monday. I am about to set off for La Plácida in Escalona as soon as I can sort out details of the walk. So I am very glad to have this information from you.
Albertagirl

Last edited:
I am about to set off for La Plácida in Escalona as soon as I can sort out details of the walk.
This sounds like a good way to reset. It would have been very difficult to find accommodations in the stages beyond San Martín this weekend anyway.

The owner of the CR in Escalona speaks English, so he can help sort things out. And he noted to me that he will take people to Almorox at a reasonable rate, to make for a better day to San Martín. I don’t know if San Martín will also have holiday trippers, but I would contact someone there for Sunday. Monday in Cebreros may still be dicey because of the four day weekend.

In any event, this is one of those times when there is a good supply of accommodation but since you are now walking during a very popular 4-day holiday weekend, it may take some re-jigging to get you settled. We are always happy to help! Buen camino, Albertagirl!

Note that CR La Placida in Escalona has a FB page, which I have found helpful in contacting inns in the past-- their steet address is C/Lazarillo de Tormes 9, a few houses NW out of the plaza. As well, there is a camping with cabins (Finca Atajacadenas 682 48 92 51) 600m west of the Civil Guard post on avenida Peñafiel / CM-5005, although it has mixed reviews. There's also a Carmelite monastery, which might help out women pilgrims in a pinch.

Hi, Albertagirl,

I am not sure exactly where this collapse happened, but if it’s your phone contacts, I am pretty sure that you can still search for a contact using words other than the first word in the alphabetical list. What I mean by that is that if I am looking for the number for a contact that I entered as “Hostal el Pilar San Martín”, if I type in Pilar or Martin or even San as a search term, it will bring up that entry. So I think the search function isn’t hampered by the listing order of your contacts. If that makes sense.

Where are you staying tonight? Hope you had a good day today, I think that the terrain is starting to change and hopefully you had some nice forest walks.

Tomorrow starts the Puente del Pilar, the long four day weekend that ends on Oct. 12 next Tuesday. I think accommodations will be very hard to come by, so some advance planning is a good idea. Let us know if you need help.

And p.s. What was the name of the place you stayed in Almorox? The Valencia amigos guide lists two — Posada Bemi and Casa Rural Royal Almorox.
I stayed in Posada Bemi and I am booked to stay there again tomorrow night. It is a very quiet place and the manager is rather sullen in temperament. But the price is right.

Hi @Albertagirl
Hoping you’re having a good day today & that phone gear is now sorted and you’ve got a bed in your sights for tonight.
How are you coping with the physical side of the route? . It’s really lovely walking region where you are now and for the next few days.

Buen camino
Annie

Good morning Annie. I am just trying to find my way around. My two tracks on my phones: old and new, seem to have been disagreeing with each other. And walking in areas which are entirely off-road and agricultural does not always give me enough information. I just try to keep on moving somehow: Cebreros today then on to Avila in a couple of days, depending on how things go. Wish me luck.
Albertagirl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back