• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albertinho's Variante Espiritual

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Our new update of today starting the Variante Espiritual do Caminho Portugues, starting in Pontevedra.
On my blog you can read about it and can see the pictures where the route starts with the first waymarker. This is about 3 kms beyond Pontevedra and can't be missed.
The route exists of two walking routes from Pontevedra to Mosterio de Armenteiro and from Armenteiro to Vila Nova de Arousa and one by boat from Vila Nova de Arousa to Pontecessures (Padrón). But we divided the rout into 4 parts. The first from Pontevedra to Combarro at the coast, Combaro to Armenteira , Armenteira to Barrantes and Barrantes to Vila Nova de Arousa and than the boat to Pontecessures. Due to the high mountain to be climbed from Combarro to Armeinteiro. In Combarro are plenty places you can stay. In Barrantes is a hotel. I wil give the information of the hotel when we are there.

http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just a moment ago happy moments meeting Pepe again in Padrón.
As crazy as ever ! Pepe's bar Dom Pepe II is opposite the bridge, the albergue and the old church of Padrón. He even found back his book with our comments of june 7th 2013 when we were in his bar too .
image.jpg

Last edited:
Our new update of today starting the Variante Espiritual do Caminho Portugues, starting in Pontevedra.
On my blog you can read about it and can see the pictures where the route starts with the first waymarker. This is about 3 kms beyond Pontevedra and can't be missed.
The route exists of two walking routes from Pontevedra to Mosterio de Armenteiro and from Armenteiro to Vila Nova de Arousa and one by boat from Vila Nova de Arousa to Pontecessures (Padrón). But we divided the rout into 4 parts. The first from Pontevedra to Combarro at the coast, Combaro to Armenteira , Armenteira to Barrantes and Barrantes to Vila Nova de Arousa and than the boat to Pontecessures. Due to the high mountain to be climbed from Combarro to Armeinteiro. In Combarro are plenty places you can stay. In Barrantes is a hotel. I wil give the information of the hotel when we are there.

http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl
@Albertinho , you say you broke up the route in 4 parts, but I read 5 here above. And then how long is it to Santiago from Pontecessures?

I fly out in 24 hours and still need to figure out how and when to get back to Madrid so I am plotting etapas on a calendar. The plan is Porto to Pontevedra, the Espiritual and then Muxia and Fistera.

Thank you for all the help you have already given me, I look forward to experiencing a route you love so much.

Yes Anemone Talking about the Variante Espiritual
We walked from Pontevedra to Combarro where we found a place to sleep.
From Combarra to Armenteira but we walked on for 7 kms to Barrantes where we found a place
From Barrantes to Vila Nova de Arousa and the boat to Pontecessures/Padrón.
Have a look on the map and you understand the route.

We are now in Santarèm. Visited Mario from the Santarèm Hostal today. Had a coffee. Lots of pilgrims to Fátima in his hostal and a group of 4 Belgian cyclistscwho came from Sagrès in the Algarve.

Terrible weather here in Portugal. It does not improve until next friday.
We came from the mountains in the center of Portugal (Close by Coimbra and Viseu) and now heading for Lisbon where we will go to tomorrow.

Bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes Anemone Talking about the Variante Espiritual
We walked from Pontevedra to Combarro where we found a place to sleep.
From Combarra to Armenteira but we walked on for 7 kms to Barrantes where we found a place
From Barrantes to Vila Nova de Arousa and the boat to Pontecessures/Padrón.
Have a look on the map and you understand the route.

We are now in Santarèm. Visited Mario from the Santarèm Hostal today. Had a coffee. Lots of pilgrims to Fátima in his hostal and a group of 4 Belgian cyclistscwho came from Sagrès in the Algarve.

Terrible weather here in Portugal. It does not improve until next friday.
We came from the mountains in the center of Portugal (Close by Coimbra and Viseu) and now heading for Lisbon where we will go to tomorrow.

Bom caminho
Thank you Alberthino. I have my handsfree umbrella walking trousers and Altus packed ready for the first few days lf rain. I may regret not taking my Gortex Salomons in favour of ultracushionny Hokas, time will tell.

So 5 days to Santiago. Will go see how that works out in my spreadsheet!

Wishing us better weather soon. Bom caminho.

Thank you Alberthino. I have my handsfree umbrella walking trousers and Altus packed ready for the first few days lf rain. I may regret not taking my Gortex Salomons in favour of ultracushionny Hokas, time will tell.

So 5 days to Santiago. Will go see how that works out in my spreadsheet!

Wishing us better weather soon. Bom caminho.
Bom caminho and good luck with the weather. Then we will be lucky too :)

I would recommend a stay in Combarro also (I walked through and would love to have stopped there). The mountain route is difficult and I would encourage a stay in the Armenteira Alberque (it's great), Carmen there is lovely and the Monastery and 2 bars are worth a visit!. Take your time walking the Ruta Aqua, a fabulous day but if you follow the arrows into Vilanova you go a very long way round as the Sport Centre is on the road side of town. You can look at the map and go a more direct route, but there is a "crucifix" route on the marked route and many nice vineyards. I loved the boat trip, only 2 Pilgrims in a Very small boat (very bumpy) but so worth it. I like variants!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you go past Ribadumia? I am looking for stopover there.

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back