• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alburge pension porto

Baggiegaz

Frances 2017/2018 Portuguese 2019
Time of past OR future Camino
June2017 sept 2018 Camino Portuguese sept 2019
Hi .im planning to do Portuguese in September.can anyone recommend a pension or hotel that’s priced reasonable and handy to begin my Camino in Porto.
Thanks Garry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really enjoyed the Porto Wine Hostel. It's next to the university, so it can be loud on weekends. Nice themed atmosphere, excellent staff and you get to meet all different kind of people (pilgrims included) https://www.winehostel.pt/en/

I recently made a reservation for 3 nights in the 3rd week of September in Porto at the YES Hostel.

I’m 63 and I had automatically ruled out Hostels as an option. I thought they were pretty much Spring Break Party Animal establishments (and some are). I also thought the “kids” staying in the hostel won’t want a Grandpa figure sharing their space and being a downer to their party.

I did some more research and found out that hostels are getting more and more popular for mature singles traveling solo. I also found out that there are hostels that don’t want seniors or middle agers and they make it pretty clear when researching the property. From my research, this particular YES hostel in Porto is not a 24hr party scene and is welcoming to all ages.

My original plan was to find a secure cheap hotel room in a good location. After deciding to spend 3 nights in Porto, the hotel prices were getting a bit high. The Albergue in Porto is not conveniently located for touring the sites of the city and I wasn’t comfortable with the idea of leaving my back pack in the Albergue while I was out touring the city all day. This YES hostel is in a prime area, close to many of the sites. It is modern with excellent facilities. It has nice sheets on the bed and modern plumbing with hot showers. It has great security, a large locker for your backpack and a 24hr front desk for information, advice, help, service… All the rooms sleep 4 people (2 bunks) with one exception…a 5 person room. I sleep with quality ear plugs properly inserted that block out 99% of the sound while sleeping in Albergues…I’ll use them at the YES hostel also. Some people who have stayed here comment on people street noise walking by late at night or early in the morning but that is because it is in a prime area of restaurants, hotels and bars and tourist sites. My ear plugs will easily block out this kind of noise. It has air conditioning. It has a 10 Euro 3 course home cooked “authentic” Portuguese dinner each night with drinks included and a decent FREE breakfast if you want to save some money. The more I researched Porto, this Hostel with all the services and comfort it offers, the price ($26/night) and the location; the more obvious it became that this was a Great Value for a single traveler. There are 5 or 6 very nice Hostels in Porto to choose from. The YES properties are a small chain with locations throughout the world. They have standards and a formula that works and is consistent through out their properties.

I think it is a big step UP from the Albergue at a reasonable price increase. It has everything I need for a comfortable and secure 2-1/2 day tour of Porto. It’s not for everyone of course but if you can be comfortable in an Albergue you can be VERY comfortable here….I think….ask me again in late October to see if the marketing exceeds the actual experience.

Edit on Nov 23, 2019:
The YES hostel was a good experience and I even met Miki Goldie while I was there. At no time did I feel uncomfortable or conspicuous due to age. Very few of the occupants were Pilgrims but all were very nice people. The group dinner was very good. I only ate dinner there once due to plans ahead of time to meet friends out for dinner on my other two nights in Porto. The walking tour was excellent. The Red Bus double decker (open top) bus tour was excellent and the starting point less than 5 minute walk from YES. This hostel is in an excellent location regarding proximity to interesting places to explore. It was noisy on the street at night...all night, outside the hostel but my ear plugs did their job. I would definitely go back to this place for an economical, safe and comfortable place to stay in Porto.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recently made a reservation for 3 nights in the 3rd week of September in Porto at the YES Hostel.

I’m 63 and I had automatically ruled out Hostels as an option. I thought they were pretty much Spring Break Party Animal establishments (and some are). I also thought the “kids” staying in the hostel won’t want a Grandpa figure sharing their space and being a downer to their party.

I did some more research and found out that hostels are getting more and more popular for mature singles traveling solo. I also found out that there are hostels that don’t want seniors or middle agers and they make it pretty clear when researching the property. From my research, this particular YES hostel in Porto is not a 24hr party scene and is welcoming to all ages.

My original plan was to find a secure cheap hotel room in a good location. After deciding to spend 3 nights in Porto, the hotel prices were getting a bit high. The Albergue in Porto is not conveniently located for touring the sites of the city and I wasn’t comfortable with the idea of leaving my back pack in the Albergue while I was out touring the city all day. This YES hostel is in a prime area, close to many of the sites. It is modern with excellent facilities. It has nice sheets on the bed and modern plumbing with hot showers. It has great security, a large locker for your backpack and a 24hr front desk for information, advice, help, service… All the rooms sleep 4 people (2 bunks) with one exception…a 5 person room. I sleep with quality ear plugs properly inserted that block out 99% of the sound while sleeping in Albergues…I’ll use them at the YES hostel also. Some people who have stayed here comment on people street noise walking by late at night or early in the morning but that is because it is in a prime area of restaurants, hotels and bars and tourist sites. My ear plugs will easily block out this kind of noise. It has air conditioning. It has a 10 Euro 3 course home cooked “authentic” Portuguese dinner each night with drinks included and a decent FREE breakfast if you want to save some money. The more I researched Porto, this Hostel with all the services and comfort it offers, the price ($26/night) and the location; the more obvious it became that this was a Great Value for a single traveler. There are 5 or 6 very nice Hostels in Porto to choose from. The YES properties are a small chain with locations throughout the world. They have standards and a formula that works and is consistent through out their properties.

I think it is a big step UP from the Albergue at a reasonable price increase. It has everything I need for a comfortable and secure 2-1/2 day tour of Porto. It’s not for everyone of course but if you can be comfortable in an Albergue you can be VERY comfortable here….I think….ask me again in late October to see if the marketing exceeds the actual experience.
Thanks for that I will look it up.buen Camino

Hi, I stayed in the Yes hostels in Lisbon and Porto after a recommendation from someone on the forum. This very clean, modern place met every expectation and the breakfasts were wonderful. I also made use of their free 3 hour walking tours in both cities. (Tipped €10) Each time I stayed 2 days and was out exploring most of the time. The staff were so helpful and welcoming to me ( 66 yo). I just didn't participate in the nightly pub crawl/ dinner. They helped arrange bag transport for my Portugese Camino and I set out on May 7th this year. They were fully informed on pilgrimage but I wouldn't say they are marketing towards pilgrims but they were a delightful young crew. So central in both cities.
Love

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After my Camino I stayed for two nights in a private room at Selina Porto, which also has bunk rooms. It was great. I got a good pricey for it using the Hotel Tonight app.

"Handy to begin my Camino " depends on which route you are taking out of the city. Both the Central and the Coastal have you walking north out of the city. The Senda Litoral will send you along the river and up the Atlantic coast. The albergue is handy to the Central and Coastal but seemed somewhat out of the way for the Senda, which I took. I stayed at the Yes! Hostel, which I was happy at. They offer a communal supper, something I always appreciate in a hostel or albergue.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.