• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue run by disabled people

Azelia

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018
CNorte 2018
Hi, I thought I read somewhere that there is an Albergue ran by disabled people along VDLP. Does anybody have information on exactly where is this? Thank you much.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

there is not really an albergue run by disabled people, but there is an albergue in a monastery where they also host disabled people in Alcuescar.

BC
Alexandra

Hi, I thought I read somewhere that there is an Alburgue ran by disable people along VDLP. Does anybody have information on exactly where is this? Thank you much.

And there is one on the Frances in Estella from ANFAS organisation. They give people with learning difficulties a job/ volunteer experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Azelia.......as via2010 states , it is not run by disabled people but is a type of home for disabled people without families to care for them i believe . The alburgue is in the same grounds as the home and is a very impressive building , spotlessly clean , gleaming marble floors and staircases ( worth paying to stay just to see that ) .
In the evening there is a meal provided for residents and pilgrims alike ( although the pilgrims eat downstairs in the alburgue ) which is food donated by the locals /businesses of the area .
Last year i stayed there but the doors to the alburgue don't open until 4-30pm if i remember , however there is a small building in the grounds where pilgrims can shelter and wait .

I will certainly be staying there again in September .

I can remember, that we celebrated mass together with the disabled people living in the house. Afterwards the volunteering hospitaleros had prepared a communal meal for the pilgrims while the inhabitants went to their Dining-room.

Thank you all for the info. My hubby works with disable people and he definitely would love to stay there.
@jony jony -- when are you starting? We fly to Seville on Sept 20 and will catch a bus to Merida then starts from there. See you somewhere. BC.

With appreciation
Azelia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Azelia......i will be leaving Seville by bike on 19th September . Alcuescar is about 34 klms north of Merida and it took me 5 days last year to reach there from Seville . I may well see you on the camino sometime after Acuescar and if so i will , as always , ring my bell as i approach .
Regards.....John

Its also the albergue you ate locked in overnight. Priests insist also locked in from 2pm to 4pm durong sieste. Lovely but i left brcause of lock in

Its also the albergue you ate locked in overnight. Priests insist also locked in from 2pm to 4pm durong sieste. Lovely but i left brcause of lock in

Yes, they close the building for siesta and they close the entrance during night-time. But this is not unusual for an albergue. Other albergues on the Via only open after 4pm. And many albergues close their gates for the night at 9 or 10 pm - not to lock pilgrims in but for security reasons, to prevent theft or rape.

If you can not cope with that you should look for a hotel with a 24/7 reception desk.

BC
Alexandra

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, they close the building for siesta and they close the entrance during night-time. But this is not unusual for an albergue. Other albergues on the Via only open after 4pm. And many albergues close their gates for the night at 9 or 10 pm - not to lock pilgrims in but for security reasons, to prevent theft or rape.

If you can not cope with that you should look for a hotel with a 24/7 reception desk.

BC
Alexandra

It is not the lock itself that is an issue to me but being locked in and not getting OUT in case of emergency that bothers me.

When we were there we were offered a tour of the buildings which I believe your husband would find interesting. The mass was very moving too.
We arrived before 2 and were let in and had to choose whether to stay until 4 or go out at 2. No problem for us, although we met others who took offence at that rule.

It is not the lock itself that is an issue to me but being locked in and not getting OUT in case of emergency that bothers me.

I can only remember, that the old public albergue in Burgos (the wooden buildings in the park) hat no emergency exit and all window locked by iron fences. Thinking of a possible fire that was the most uncomfortable night I ever had on the camino.

But in Alcuescar they showed us an emergency exit as far as I can remeber. You could go out during siesta or even during the night but not get back into the building then.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back