• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alburgues/towns along the VDLP

campbeco

Hey folks,

I'm organizing for two groups of fellow college students to walk the last 100k of the Portuguese Way and the Via de la Plata respectively. I'm slightly concerned about the latter, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There'll be about 30 in the group, and we're starting out at Ourense next March. Planning on reaching Santiago after four days of walking. My question therefore relates to the refugios - while i was walking the French Way last year this wasn't a problem, but do you think there will be enough space in each town for such a large group? And could someone with some knowledge of the route tell me whether the following itinerary would be best, as suggested by the route planner, or are there any larger towns along the way where we'd have a better chance of getting accommodation:
Ourense - Oseira - A Laxe - Ponte Ulla - Santiago.

I've also a slight concern about staying at the monastery at Oseira, based on other people's experiences of it - is it best avoided? Are its rules more strict than those in most other alburgues?

Thanks a million in advance to anyone who can help!
Conor.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola - I'm sure others will comment as well. When I walked the VdlP there was a group of 30 odd young people around who managed to find accommodation. The difficulty may be doing this in the Holy Year when numbers will increase significantly.

From what I have heard the Monks at Oseira would be very welcoming although the sleeping/showering arrangements are a bit primitive. Call their Guestmaster and enquire.

Also I see at A Laxe there is a 28 bed albergue - you could call them too

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/alb ... -de-a-laxe

There is an albergue just beyond Ponte Ulla but I'm afraid I didnt sleep there - do any others have details?

Hi,

The Albergue just on from Ponte Ulla is Capilla de Santiaguino (also referred to as Vedra or Outeiro). It is 4.5 km, mostly uphill from Ponte Ulla and about 34 km from A Laxe. It is modern with 32 beds and disabled facilities. When I was there in 2007 there were no local facilities for food, the options being to buy provisions or stop at a restaurant in Ponte Ulla, order a taxi from the Albergue down to the main road N525 to eat or I also seem to remember there being adverts at the Albergue for restaurants that would deliver. It is less than 20 km onwards the next day to Santiago, the route giving great views of your final destination during the last couple of kms.

As an alternative to Oseira, there is always the Albergue at Cea with 42 places. Cea to A Laxe is approx 32km.

Regards
Mig

Attachments

• Albergue Vedra.jpg
    Albergue Vedra.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,288
  • Last Day.jpg
    Last Day.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,289
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
An alert to those traveling the Via de la Plata in the next week or so...

The albergue in Zamora is CLOSED until November. There´s a scramble on right now for hospitaleros to keep the place open through winter; month of Nov. and Dec. are covered, but the future is wide open. Any takers, please contact me and I´ll hook you up.

Rebekah

Rebekah Scott said:
An alert to those traveling the Via de la Plata in the next week or so...

The albergue in Zamora is CLOSED until November. There´s a scramble on right now for hospitaleros to keep the place open through winter; month of Nov. and Dec. are covered, but the future is wide open. Any takers, please contact me and I´ll hook you up.

Rebekah

I hope they find some volunteers as it is a lovely albergue. It just reopened today and I am there right now, and very impressed. If I understand this right, the running of it has been taken over by different people and the place has been refurbished. The furniture seems brand new (in fact the place smells very new), modern and of good quality. Mattresses still have their labels attached! It would be a shame if it had to close down again :cry:

I'm glad Zamora is open. After I had been there 3 weeks ago the local papers were full of a dispute between the ayuntamiento and the amigos which was going to spell the closure of the albergue.

Andy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed in the Albergue at O Outreiro a week ago. It is a good, modern albergue. There is a restaurant about a km away but they also deliver. As it was raining hard we took the delivery option and got a good menu del dia for (I think) 12euros. The hospitelera is very nice and also has the keys for the Santiaguno Chapel.

There is an albergue at Cea.

If you want to stay at Oseira, it is essential to phone in advance. I stayed in the monastery, so I'm afraid I don't know about the albergue there.

There is an albergue at Castro Dozon.

Bandeira has a lot of hotels and hostals.

Andy

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back