• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alcántara Pesca Evasión (private place at the Embalse)

peregrina2000

Staff member
So, I offered to try to help a forum member make a reservation at this place for a mid-May Vdlp. For old timers, this is the former Lindamar hotel, up the road from the Albergue Turístico, and it has had a couple of other names I can't quite remember. In response to my inquiry, I just received an email from them saying they are full between now and the end of June. I can't quite fathom that, but in any event they do not appear to want pilgrim traffic.

So, since the Albergue Turístico is also closed (see note here: http://www.embalsedealcantara.com/ -- notice says that the licensee's concession has expired and so it is closed), I guess that means Vdlp pilgrims have to be creative.

From what I can tell, the options are a 44 km walk from Cáceres to Canaveral or a 33 km walk from Casar de Cáceres to Canaveral. Looks like that will put a squeeze on the albergue in Casar de Cáceres!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Laurie - the young woman who was the manager here back in May 2013 really, really help me. She helped me make a train booking and then arranged for her boyfriend to drive me to the train at Canaveral. Yes it lacked the atmosphere of some of the older albergues on the Frances but was clean and functional, with a great view. Who owns this establishment? Surely the money invested in the construction needs to be recouped?? Cheers

Thanks Laurie - the young woman who was the manager here back in May 2013 really, really help me. She helped me make a train booking and then arranged for her boyfriend to drive me to the train at Canaveral. Yes it lacked the atmosphere of some of the older albergues on the Frances but was clean and functional, with a great view. Who owns this establishment? Surely the money invested in the construction needs to be recouped?? Cheers
When I was in the area last month, I was told that the Albergue was closed due to some problem with the water and/or wastewater disposal. Being on the side of the reservoir, with environmental concerns, it might not be a simple or inexpensive matter to fix. That would explain the closure when there is clearly a pilgrim market there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes - the private place is full of people working on the trainline. So if you want to walk it is a long etape. We walked a lot of it (of course!) in the wind and the rain - so some of chose to do the last part on the road. Next time I would stay on the soft path. The albergue at Carñaveral is fabulous. Best breakfast so far.

Stayed there in June last year, it was at the time run by a French couple who had taken over from the previous Lindamar hotel.
I was so happy to find a room there (we had booked it by chance, by telephone) as it was such a loooong slog in the heat!
The lady cooked and looked after the rooms, her husband was more interested in the boating tourist trade (I think). He also only spoke French which made it difficult, his wife had to deal with all the problems.
I wished them well at the time (I thought she was a really 'plucky' lady).
I am really sorry to hear they aren't interested in pilgrims after all ...
There is nothing else in the area to break that long stretch.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Said pilgrim here has decided instead to either - walk 44k on the first day of my trip (doubtful) - or cab it from Caceres to Casar de Caceres and then walk my planned 33km that first day to Canaveral. Either way I booked a room at Hostel Cañaveral.

I am looking forward to that first night after the trans atlantic and then train ride in Caceres (which I am told is beautiful), so I guess my before walking travels may require an extra cab to Casar.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
:):):) It's a very nice place, smack dab in the Renaissance core. When I had what was then my longest walking day ever, 38 or 39 from Alcuescar, I got to Valdesalor and told myself if I kept going the rest of the way into Caceres that I would treat myself to a night in the parador. I got there to find it was closed for renovations. :( I think you will really enjoy this little bit of luxury before starting out.

Yes - the private place is full of people working on the trainline. So if you want to walk it is a long etape. We walked a lot of it (of course!) in the wind and the rain - so some of chose to do the last part on the road. Next time I would stay on the soft path. The albergue at Carñaveral is fabulous. Best breakfast so far.
Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back