• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aldi Outdoor gear sale coming up

Bogong

Time of past OR future Camino
First, March 2014
For those in Oz.

Big Aldi sale coming up on 6 July. Includes merino wool jackets, T-shirts, and underwear, down jackets and vests, headlamps and backpacks, plus a few other things. I would skip the hiking boots as on past experience they are rubbish but the merino clothing is great. The packs may be interesting. A few of their sales back they looked OK, especially considering the price, but the top strap attachments looked a bit flimsy. Last sale they seemed to have improved this quite a bit, so it would be interesting to see how they pan out now.

De Colores

Bogong

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is good to know. Will be there before opening, ready for the scrum!

I got the light walking socks in Aldi Spain. Who would have thought a pair of sold less then 2 Euros and worked realy well and so far I see durable. Just in case you run out in Spain or like to give it a try. Thank you for the alert. Diffrent contries diffrent sales times

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wonder if @gerardcarey will be there, elbowing all the customers out of his way, and grabbing all their stuff. If you go, be sure to look away as he tries everything on while standing in the aisles!...Chapter 2, page 5 in his "book". 😂😁😂

I used merino T shirts from Aldi for the Via Francigena these past two months . They performed brilliantly , dried quickly, didn't smell and were so versatile in heat and cold . I'm off to buy more , thanks for the tip Bogong.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought 2 long sleeve tee shirts in Aldi sale 3 weeks ago at our local store (NSW Central Coast) for about $AUD30 each, and another for $AUD30 at Anaconda last weekend. Kathmandu also have sales at the moment. There are plenty of sales arond at the moment. Just check on line

I bought an Aldi back pack and used it on the Primitivo last year and it was fine. I am using it again this year on the Sanabres. My two sons also used the same Aldi backpacks on the camino and had no problems with them.

Thanks for the topic, guys.
I bought a backpack and a few items for my daughter on Sat, who is planning to go with me next year for a couple of weeks. But really hesitant about the backpack... though I like lots of zip pockets, the back structure and harness system is quite different from my current Kathmandu one, which I'm very happy with. I'm not an expert and not sure what to look at, what is more important. It felt ok when wearing with a few kilos in, but still.... Thinking either I have to return it to the shop, perhaps?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wonder if @gerardcarey will be there, elbowing all the customers out of his way, and grabbing all their stuff. If you go, be sure to look away as he tries everything on while standing in the aisles!...Chapter 2, page 5 in his "book". 😂😁😂
Cause I was there cobber!
Got the super trim form fitting hiking pants. Show off my tight buns as I walk up the trail I reckon.
And the long sleeve, I/2 front zip, merino top, 2nd layer for over my merino T-shirts, or to wear as a shirt on its own.
I've have not been very good at looking after my merino stuff. Washed it incorrectly. It disintegrated into a multi-holed mess fit soley for the rubbish bin. In future I'll use only water or wool detergent.
But now I'm all fitted now to do the Swiss section of the Via Francigena in August.
Hooray for me!
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
But really hesitant about the backpack... though I like lots of zip pockets, the back structure and harness system is quite different from my current Kathmandu one, which I'm very happy with. I'm not an expert and not sure what to look at, what is more important. It felt ok when wearing with a few kilos in, but still.... Thinking either I have to return it to the shop, perhaps?
It is essential that you go to a hiking supplies shop and learn about the qualities of a good hiking pack - find a knowledgeable attendant to explain and fit you. Aldi will always take incorrectly purchased goods back. I'm not saying Aldi packs are not suitable as budget pricing is always a consideration. But you do need to understand the qualities a good hiking pack possesses.
I've got an tough Aldi pack I use for lugging stuff around town.
Regards
Gerard

I toddled into Aldi and had a look at the pack. Having been a bush walker/Xc skier and looked carefully at lots of packs in the equipment stores I was quite impressed this time with the Aldi one and bought one for my granddaughter who is threatening me with another Camino but a bit worried I'll drop dead on her. I have been a bit dubious about some aspects of these packs in the past but this seems fairly well made. I have some slight concerns about the top adjustable strap arrangement which holds the shoulder strap in place with Velcro strapping but if this proved a problem in the future I would simply loop a bit of extra webbing or strapping around it. The Camino is not a survival expedition after all, rather a longish walk over the most part easy country and one of these should be perfectly adequate. As value for money goes, a lot of the stuff with fancy names is way overpriced and offers very little if anything more.

De colores

Bogong

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought the Aldi special rain coat . Really well made and light as well. No need to carry my 1kg gortex in moderate seasons anymore .

Thank you @Bogong and @gerardcarey :)
I know how to use mine quite well, I say I am not an expert, as it's one and only backpack I ever had :)
In Aldi one, what confused me is that the chest strap is not fixed, but can be moved up and down easily - not sure if it's for better or worse. Also, as Bogong mentioned, the top straps seem funny to me - those that are supposed to be altered when going up and down the hill. Those are sewed on the same level as shoulder straps, so not sure they do any work at all, except for getting the backpack much higher on your waist...
Anyway, probably, I will try to go for a hike over the weekend and see. Just hoped that someone already tried those :)

@Charles Zammit, yeah, took the rain jacket, too - looks very nice. Almost had to fight for it - it was my first Aldi experience of this kind, not sure I would do it again :D

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.