• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert concerning Hospitalero (no longer Villacazar location)

Annesofieholm

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2012
Hey everybody.
I had a really bad experience in Villalcázar de Sirga a few weeks ago. I stayed in the first albergue you see when you enter the village (it's on a small plaza). Not many pilgrims stay there, and unfortunately I was the only pilgrim in the albergue that night. The hospitalero Miguel was super creepy and way too nice to not have bad intentions. He was very physical and he made me feel very uncomfortable, and when you travel alone as a young girl, that's the last kind of person you want to share a house with, just the two of you in the middle of nowhere. After I went to bed and turned off the lights, he came to my room, turned on the lights, sat on my bedside and started showing me pictures of when he was a pilgrim. I was really scared staying there, and the next morning he offered me to stay for one more day as a hospitalera, but I said no and I was happy to get away.
A few days later I met a girl who had the exact same experience, except she said yes to staying there as a hospitalera, and the next night he tried to crawl into her bed because he said there were bed bugs in his own. She was shocked and rejected him, and he got very angry and aggressive. She packed her stuff and left as fast as she could.
The hospitalero is very easy to recognise, he has only two fingers on one of his hands.

Long story short: If you have to stop in Villalcázar de Sirga, stay in the other albergue!

Anne-Sofie
(Denmark)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Alert

An uncomfortable experience to say the least. Makes you wonder how many other people this guy creeped out and what resulted as a consequence.

It's good of you to relay the experience here. I am wondering if there is some way to report this to the police of other civil authority. Even if the guy did not technically commit any crime, perhaps someone of an authoritative capacity could pay him a visit and warn him that "we are watching you".

Is there any overall authority in Spain that looks out for the safety of people along the Camino? If so perhaps it would help to report this incident to them.

Thanks for taking the time to warn others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Alert

I agree with the earlier comment.
You are very brave to report this and it needs to be reported to the authorities. He has done this to at least, to your knowledge, two pilgrims.
There will be more women out there - too scared or embarrassed or ashamed or traumatized to report this. That is what predators count on.
And that is what he is - a predator.

Alert

Hello Anne-Sophie,

This is very disturbing and unfortunate. If it is indeed the Albergue de Pelegrinos in the plaza (stayed there myself this past July) then the hospitaleros are trained and supplied by HOSVOL (hospitaleros voluntarios) which is part of the Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago. Anai is the coordinator of the hospitaleros and our contact person. I know because I was a hospitalera in Grañón this summer. PLEASE contact her asap:
anahosvol@caminosantiago.org and report this story. If you need help with this just PM me and I would be more than glad to help out. We of course need to be sure that it is the same albergue (I could post a picture of the facade).

Either way let me know what you have done because I will be back in Spain Dec. 6-9 for the yearly reunion of hospitaleros organized by the above organization.

For others: hospitaleros are placed for 15 days (i.e. this hospitalero is long gone).

Cheers,
LT

Alert

LTfit said:
hospitaleros are placed for 15 days (i.e. this hospitalero is long gone).

Let's hope he is long gone and does not resurface in another albergue somewhere. That thought may be even more frightening.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Alert

I had this guy as a hospitalero in Foncebadon and didn't have any problems with him. In fact that night stands out as one of the most memorable on my entire camino. The albergue was donativo and that still came with communal dinner and breakfast included!

However there is something that seem a bit unsettling now that I hear your story, Anne. At some point during the night there is/was this tradition of him and "someone" going off and dressing up in knights templar costumes. Only thing was that the "someone" would always be the youngest/most attractive girl of the group - as evidenced by his stack of pictures of him and young women in costume. In this case the first girl (who by chance happens to be my girlfriend now!) said no, so he had to settle for the second youngest.

There was never any talk of indecent behaviour, but the general consensus was that he was somewhat the stereotypical dirty old man. But of course the information that you bring to light is a lot more serious.

Anyway to be fair, it's not VILLALCÁZAR DE SIRGA you should be warning about, only this man in particular. And as you say he's easy to recognize. A pervert, albeit a very hospitable one, only two fingers on one hand, and possibly with a knights templar fetish.

PS. According to him, he got lost on an army training mission, and was forced to eat his fingers to survive :roll:

Alert

Where is this town?

Alert

Villacazar de Sirga is 6 km before Carrion de los Condes, and on the Meseta

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Alert

Conserning violence, im the kind of guy very calm….but this matter is the one that gets me out of serious……
so in February when start over, I will have the pleasure to stop her and explain to this gentleman how to receive a pilgrim.
I'll explain verbally, if he does not understand ill arrange another way to understand ….....

Alert

I will send this report to Anai right away. We cannot tolerate this kind of behavior on the camino.

Please do NOT boycott the albergue because of this person´s experience. The hospitalero is not a local man on permanent staff. This albergue is often one of the most welcoming and desireable of the remaining donativo places.

Rebekah

Alert

This is a crime waiting to happen. As it is, neither one of you females should had to endure such a bad experience doing the Camino lest from an Albergue provider.

I STRONGLY ask that the Forum Moderator forward this complaint to the local authorities AND to the Camino de Santiago organization in Santiago. They will know what and how to deal with this creepy character. Again, let's prevent a crime; this is a matter of time.

I also ask the male pilgrims to watch out for your sister pilgrims out there. Let the word go around about this albergue. If you walk by, go in and make sure you warn any females of this place. Let's take care of each other.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Re: Don't stay in Villacázar de Sirga

Goncaloalves said:
Conserning violence.....
I'll explain verbally, if he does not understand ill arrange another way to understand ….....
Please don't just kick the mierda out of the incumbent hospitalerio when you arrive. It may not be the same person working there and, even if it is (and as satisfying and as justified as it may feel), you may find yourself in far more trouble than him.

Better to let the Hospitalero Co-ordinator deal with this in the first instance (Rebekah has already said she will be reporting immediately) and they can best ensure that the relevant authorities are quickly mobilised to deal with this offensive man.

Alert

Please re-read the above posts.
This pervert is NOT a permament hospitalera at Villacazar...he appears to be a short term volunteer and will NO longer be at the Villacazar albergue.

Most alarming is that there is also a post about him at Foncebadon on another occasion.
Volunteer hospitaleros only serve 10 to 15 days and then are replaced by someone else...so this guy could show up anywhere.

Fortunately, Rebekah has advised that she will notify the hospitalero organizaion right away.
This should put him out of business as far as the volunteer albergues are concerned. Hopefully, the word will spread to other types of albergues to look out for him.

I did not see any reference as to what nationality he was. If Spanish, he could be more active as he is much more local to the Camino.

Thanks again to Anne-Sofie for alerting us.

Alert

Thank you Reb for taking the initiative to e-mail Anai immediately (my first inclination was to have Anna-Sophie do this herself).

Is it possible to change the title of this thread as it would indeed be unfortunate if pilgrims were to avoid this albergue due to one incident on the part of one hospitalero.

The Spanish association mentioned in my previous post is responsible for placing VOLUNTEER hospitaleros in approximately 20 albergues along the various Caminos (in Grañón, Viana, Foncebadón, Salamanca, Zamora, Arres and Ponferrada just to name a few) and does so because they are all DONATIVO. Without pilgrims they would have to close. Therefore DO NOT boycott this albergue!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alert

Hey everyone.
Thank you so much for your help and support!
I'm new on this site, so I haven't really figured out the technical part of it yet, but I will try to change the title. The albergue it self was nice, so of course people should stay there, if there is a decent hospitalero/hospitalera.
It's definitely the same hospitalero as in Foncebadon - the pictures he showed me while sitting on my bedside was of him and other people dressed up as templers. In a way I feel bad for him, cause he's obviously very lonely, but he shouldn't be in a position like that if he makes other people feel bad.

Anne-Sofie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am currently hiking the Camino and also had stayed at that Albergue. I also found Miguel really odd and also quite aggressive. The language barrier posed as a problem which made dealing with him more difficult. I have been referring to him as the two fingered man. In the evening I was really tired and did not want to participate in the Albergue group dinner. He would not leave me alone and kept harassing me to come join. He even attempted to pull the blankets off of me when I was trying to sleep. Luckily there was a Spanish woman there whom knew a little English and then translated to him that I wanted to be left alone. In the morning he began to bother me again insisting that I should stay another night since I had bad blisters on my feet. He even offered for me to sleep in the extra bed that was in his room. I clued in that he was actually attempting to hit on me and found him to be a strange little man whom was slightly deranged. I left as soon as a I could feeling creeped out by my stay at that Albergue. I think Miguel's behaviour should be reported especially after reading the previous post. Seems to have become a problem. I am relieved that I was at least not staying at that place alone with him. Until something is done I don't think any women should stay there. Also wondering whom we can complain to.

I have contacted the federation, and have talked to some other people who have problems with this fellow. He is apparently walking the Camino these days, made a nuisance of himself in Moratinos early this week (I didn´t see him!) I am asking everyone with a first-person experience to share to the federation hospitalero coordinator, who is looking into this. It does a lot more good telling her than the whole community, I think.

The address I have for her is a private one. Please IM me if you need it.

Reb.

Miguel was the Hospitalero when I stoped off there a few weeks back. He was the perfect host,the Albergue was spotless and his reception was to the 'T'. I was the only Pilgrim there that night and the next morning he agreed with me that breakfast would be a 8 and not 7.( We had not yet had the clock change so it was still dark at 8.30 am) He laid on a great breakfast for me and he was certainly very lonely as he was hinting at me staying for another night.
I see now why he was happy to be the only Hospitalero there ....did think it odd as it was a lot of work for one person.
It is a shame that he has turned out to be a pervert. :(

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
it is sad to hear this abot nut cases on the Camino, another albergue to be ware of is on the Via de la Plata in el cubo. the person in charge of the albergue and village is an ass. a friend I walked off and on with had trouble with him. she was in the shower which is a room with door and can be locked. he banged on the door for her to come out...why because she had not waited til he came and gave permission. she was scared and felt he would have broken down the door. I stayed there with 4 people and he demands you wait after you call him and do nothing until he gives you orders when you can have a shower and so forth..the guy is crazy.
n.

The person in question is being dealt with. Be assured he won´t be turning up at any Federation albergues again, or Federation events, for that matter.

He may still volunteer at private or non-Federation facilities, but efforts are being made to spread the word through the network that the man is not to be trusted, especially around young women.

Still, if you should meet someone meeting his description, be sure to treat him with the same dignity and respect you would offer any other pilgrim. He is obviously a suffering soul. Besides, you might have the wrong man!

Rebekah de Moratinos

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
haha Renshaw!
He was the "perfect host" because you're not a sweet young thing! ::ducking and laughing::

Sorry.. I know this is serious... but I just couldn't help myself.
It must be late and I must be tired :lol:

I'm glad this creep has been taken care of.
Luckily, he is the exception.

Please know that this is a great little albergue in a wonderfully friendly village. I served as one of the two hospitaleras in this albergue during the first two weeks of October. I suspect that this fellow was a last minute assignment by the Federacion. The person who was to replace us for the final two weeks in October backed out. I'm glad that the inappropriate behavior was reported and dealt with. We were emphatically told by the mayor of Villasirga that inappropriate behavior by anyone towards another pilgrim is not to be tolerated in this albergue. We were concerned about stories of a pilgrim who had been harrassing female pilgrims to the east of us. Fortunately, he did not appear.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back