• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ALERT Robbery on Stage 1

Nomadali

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan: from Le Puy, May '2013'
I started Vdlp on April 29, but was robbed by 2 men wearing balaclavas and with knives on stage 1 just before Guillena. I went the the police. Apparently I'm not the first and they are targeting solo hikers.
With me they only got cash, but in the last year thieves have took everything from another hiker I met (who is this year in a group). They spread my things all over the dirt road, looking for camera (I don't have), and meaning I had to stay to clean up. I begged and got my phone back!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: Robbery on Stage 1

I'm so sorry this happened to you! :(

Can you give us more information?
We're they in a car? On foot? Bicycle?
Did they search for your money belt?
Men? Boys?
Any advice for us?

My goodness, poor you! What a horrible way to start your camino. I hope you feel better right now and can still enjoy your camino.

I was there just one day before you. Heard another story about robbery in Real de la Jara. Someone who had to give his or her money somewhere in the fields to a guy with a knive as well. It might have been your story, but it might have been another as well. I heard it from an English guy named Robin who was stuck in Real de la Jara for four days already because of blisters. Does this ring any bell?

Next to that, I heard that the bikes were stolen from two peregrinos in Castilblanco. I hope this is not a new trend or something...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

wow, that truly must have been a shock. Thanks for alerting this forum.
This news really disturbs this soon=to-be-stepping out pilgrim.
Do you suggest walking in a group for the first stage?
What is your advice?
I wonder why this is happening.
Is this mostly on Via de La Plata???
Forewarned is forearmed
I also thought punishment was severe for crimes against pilgrims and attacks were not so common...

That was really bad news.
All right, I've googled and it looks like pepper spray is legal in Spain.
Does anybody know where one can buy it in Spain?
What kind of shops could have it?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have to admit to being not a little nervous after Luka's report. I will have to think about this. Perhaps it's safer to walk the Frances again. Since I will be walking alone I am concerned.

Has anyone reported these robberies to the Friends of the Camino in Sevilla? Maybe they could encourage the police to be more vigilant in catching these guys as it most certainly will affect whether or not people walk here.

Annie, I hope this doesn't discourage you to go! The VdlP is wonderful. I still think this is uncommon and yes, I think the local police is very keen on getting bastards like these.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very sorry to hear about this. Hope you're going on Nomadali. Ultreia!!!

But I think all the pilgrims should be aware that (some) people are desperate because they lost their jobs, they can not feed their families and thinking of getting easy money from those "rich-nothing-really-important-doing" pilgrims. I guess you all know the economic situation in EU, Spain and..... But if they're not kind of professionals you should be even more careful because they tend to be veryvery nervous. They're most possibly not used to this kind of getting money and that is important. I saw (or was) many similar situations and I would really recommend to stay absolutely calm and do exactly what they want you to. That is I assume one would carry only a limited amount of cash or/and stacked the rest of it in some hidden pocket of a rucksack.

On the other hand if you have some knowledge in self-defense or feeling really strong (mentally) in those situations than use your walking poles (or a pepper-spray) as a weapon of defense or at least start to scream out loud even if in the middle of nowhere. That might scare them off, because most probably they're even more scared than you are. But I still think it's better to act according to previous paragraph.

Take care, pilgrims!!!

I'm sorry to hear this happened.
My daughter and I will be walking the short Camino route from Valencia this fall. Can someone tell me where this robbery occured?

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Nomadali, I am very very sorry to hear your news. I had planned to do the VDLP this year in September, and for some reason changed my mind, it did not feel good. I had heard about the economic crisis in Spain and it made me uneasy. It is very sad, as I have always felt very safe on all my walks and I am really concerned that this kind of thing is happening to pilgrims. I am planning on walking the Swiss Route this year, partly because I only have limited time available. What will you do now? KInd regards, Gitti :cry:

Susannafromsweden said:
That was really bad news.
All right, I've googled and it looks like pepper spray is legal in Spain.
Does anybody know where one can buy it in Spain?
What kind of shops could have it?

Please be careful! A weapon you don't know 120% how to use (and pepper spray is a weapon in that case) is a weapon in the hand of your opponent. Be also aware that, if the wind comes out of the wrong direction, you might attacking yourself. If you are not experienced in self-defense you might risk more than you gain, these guy/s had knives!

Plus, as somebody else has already mentioned, it is best to have some "decoy wallet" at hand and the real valuables very well hidden deep in your backpack plus walking in a group also helps. SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

marji said:
I also thought punishment was severe for crimes against pilgrims and attacks were not so common...

No, attacks are not common, that is a pretty recent development due to the terrible economic situation in Spain. And, btw, attacks on pilgrims are not punished differently than attacks on other people. Why should they? SY

Well, first of all, this is not the Camino Frances, the 'main' Camino. This route is less frequently walked and by fewer pilgs.

Second, this robbery event is not common at all. You rarely hear of outright robberies. This appears to be isolated to the first few stages of the VDLP and the work if two specific fellows. Hopefully they'll soon be caught.

Third, where there are humans there will be crime if some sort. I still maintain that walking alone in Spain is safer than walking alone in any US city.

I'm just skittish at the moment due to my own insecurities. I've been in 'fight or flight' mode for some time and was looking forward to a nice quiet walk. Hearing someone was robbed is like hearing there is a herd of wild bulls on the trail. My fear is exaggerated and out of proportion. I realize that and am working through it.

People should continue to walk the VDLP and just take precautions. Today I am less afraid than yesterday. Tomorrow perhaps I will change back to the VDLP. If not, I'll walk it next year with a walking partner.

SYates said:
Please be careful! A weapon you don't know 120% how to use (and pepper spray is a weapon in that case) is a weapon in the hand of your opponent. Be also aware that, if the wind comes out of the wrong direction, you might attacking yourself. s. SY

They are looking for easy targets, so if you have spray right up front on your belt, where they can see it they may will skip you and wait for an easier target.

I have fired bear spray, and it is fairly idiot proof. There are lots of stories of accidents and success. I sure would like to give thoses guys a grizzly bear sized dose!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi. Nomadali here. I just didn't think to check back on this forum, so sorry that I hadn't answered anybodies questions.

I wrote a pretty thorough description on my blogspot. (Link below). I think it will answer everything. No vehicle was involved.
I've kept going but have had to take a few buses because I hurt my knee trying to keep up with companions. At the moment I'm in Zafra.

The hike is beautiful.

http://nomadali.blogspot.com/2013/04/ca ... 1-robbed.h

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I leave tomorrow morning May 7. I arrive in Madrid morning of May 8 and hope to get an early train directly to Zafra. I should be there by afternoon on Wednesday. I will stay in Zafra two nights to adjust to the time change a bit before walking (and to tourist about). Then I have some fairly short stages planned for the first week so hopefully I can get into walking shape slowly.

So you'll probably be quite far ahead of me. But if you are still there, I am staying in Hotel Cervantes.

I wouldn't count on fellow pilgrims coming to your aid if my experience is anything to go by. A few days ago I was sleeping in the Xunqueira de Ambia Albergue when I was attacked by a drunk peregrino. I awoke to a hand clamped over my face with palm covering mouth and nose...gripping tight enough to jerk my head up off the pillow. I obviously started kicking and swinging and yelling when he let go. Fortunately I was on the top bunk giving me a defensive advantage. Not a single peregrino out of 14 non drunk peregrinos came to my aid. My best walking buddy snuck behind the 3 drunks and quickly got into bed. The person in the bunk below me quickly found an empty top bunk in the other corner. Afterwords no one asked if I was ok or offered to call the police. Nothing, Zip,Nadda. They all turned away and I can only guess pushed those ear plugs in deeper.

My conclusion from this is that friendship on the camino goes about as deep as being friended on Facebook. I'll be glad to put this spineless herd of sheep behind me.

Another peregrino had his wallet stolen while sleeping a few days before my attack in the A Gudina Albergue. We may have more to fear from the malice and indifference from our fellow peregrinos than any Spanish road side robbery.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Katakun- I am left speechless...this is not only terribly disturbing but shocking! What an awful experience but also feeling for you, to realize that fellow pelegrinos/as ignored your need for assistance.

I have yet to walk that part of the Sanabrés but was there no hospitalero/a on hand? I hope that you have the courage to confront your "best" walking buddy and others about this incident.

Thank you for sharing this with us, we can all learn from it although this will not help you personally in dealing with the incident.

Wish you well.
LT

I'm not surprised by recent robberies. The situation in Spain seems desperate and desperate people are capable of anything. I am surprised by Katakun's experience. While I never experienced a violent episode I did note that the average peregrino was okay with not assisting. The average peregrinos being the sea of peregrinos that change everyday, not the key faces that I started with or continuously met. It really sucks to have had such an experience. Being a single transient for a month long journey requires constant renewal of belief in self, and the path, to continue the journey till it's end. I hope you enjoyed the rest of the journey despite this Katakun.

So sad to read, and of course it makes you wonder if you are doing the right thing in going after all. But, as others have said on here, it's a pretty rare occurrence. You will find people like the two robbers just about anywhere in the world, which puts it into perspective. With the current economic climate, it's not surprising either that some people resort to crime out of desperation.

We intend to go on bikes. I will be carrying a whistle (useful things these are), which might be a good deterrent. Also, my husband is very good at looking after himself in a stressful situation, and I've done some self-defence, although that might not come in handy unless we can get at whoever's holding the knife! But we definitely wouldn't let the remote possibility of being robbed stop us from going. I suspect the best way to go is to have any money in several different compartments or hiding places and hand over just enough to get rid of any robbers.

I found nomadali's link and have given it below:

http://nomadali.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/ ... day-2.html

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
hello katakun,

i am so very sorry to hear about the assault. are these 3 drunks peregrinos or tourists with credentials, any idea? i stayed this past winter in both places and i am really shocked to hear what happened to you. i am also very disappointed that no fellow peregrinos came to help you. i was in xunqueria with only another spanish pilgrim. i was also in a gudina with the same pilgrim approximately the first 10 days of march. nothing untowards happened to us. the a gudina albergue is right in town next to a school. how did the robber has access to the door key i don't know. things must have been pretty bad since march with the housing crisis, evictions, job losses, pension cutback in spain.

i don't know what to say. i will keep my ears to the ground when i go back next month to work as a hospitalero in santiago.

the most important thing is you are not hurt. please don't judge your fellow pilgrims harshly. not everyone of us is like that.

god bless.

Last edited:
Piogaw: the guy who attacked me was, when sober a nice guy, who I'd shared a few beers with since Fuentes de cantos. Turns out he is a mean drunk. The other 2 just head nods since Tabara as they flew past my plodding pace. Best I can figure the intent was to scar the crap out of the old gringo. Which he did. In hindsight it is fortunate that his 2 drunk friends prevented me from hurting him because I was furious. No hospilatero in residence, no police location on the town map when I looked for it in the morning, only a phone number. Looked for it when I walked out of town but didn't see it.

My message is not to fear being attacked. I think that is a rare event. My message is peregrinos are very unlikely to come to your aid when you need it most. 95% full Albergue and not a single person came to my aid or checked on me after the fact. These were typical peregrinos. Nothing particularly sheepish about them. In my new low opinion they truly represent the lack of moral fiber typical of most peregrinos. There would be no advantage to move over to the Camino Frances.

Now most of you will probably disagree with my low opinion. See it as a challenge and prove me wrong. Be the first to come to some ones aid rather than the first to turn away and push those ear plugs in deeper.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thank you katakan for telling us exactly what happened. i am really ashamed of all the other peregrinos who did not lift a finger to at least help you or to inquire whether you are ok. by the way, are you a young man or an older peregrino like me? i am 70.

well, the best of luck. don't let this bad exprience sours your thinking of the camino.

god bless. and buen camino to your future camino.

I am due to do Camino Sept 2013- this post makes me think twice - as I am female traveling alone. feel like cancelling based on this post

Annie Little - I can imagine that this thread might throw you off course but as others have mentioned, this is very unusual. There are SO MANY single woman walking the Camino and from personal experience can say that in the 3x times that I have walked the Camino - both along the Francés and the Plata - I have never felt threatened or unsafe. That is not to say that you shouldn't be vigilant.

Almost 200,000 pilgrims reached Santiago last year, there are bound to be a few sour apples (and I don't mean to belittle those who were unfortunate enough to incur loss or injury).

I hope that this thread does not deter you or others.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Annie, I also walked as a single female. I had a great time, met peregrinos who shared time, tips and meals with me and was fortunate enough to meet great hospitaleros - save 1. This robbery was shocking. And Katakun's report as well.

I was intending to do the "main" Camino - from St jean de Pied starting in middle Sept about 20th Sept.

In terms of having others to walk with if I wish- is this a good time of year ?? or are the numbers less then? and the weather?

I am skittish at the best of times- which I why I have constantly put myself outside my comfort zone. I always wonder why I am outside my comfort zone when I do it BUTTT later I think WOW !

I am skittish Again about doing this trip. Mmm not sure if that is good or not

Annie

Thanks Nomadali for all the information. I have walked this route twice solo with no major problems. It is a shame that people have to resolve to these tactics. Enjoy the rest of your camino for it is a wonderful journey. Be safe and vigilant.

May angels be with in all they way.

Sharn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Annie,

I started at Roncesvalles at the beginning of September. It's a good time to start and there's a fair amount of peregrinos along the way. You do pick up some residual summer heat during the day and that, for me, was the only discomfort.

Dear all, when I read nomadalis report i was surprised, but, on reflection and especially thinking of the present economic situation in Spain you would have to accept it as inevitable. There have been very few outright robberies on the modern Camino, but robbery was common on all the Caminos until a hundred years ago or so.
Someone also talked about pepper spray. I agree with the person who said that these people are probably very nervous. If someone threatens you with a knife or a pistol DO EXACTLY WHAY THEY SAY, AND DO NOT RESIST. Unless you really know what you are doing.
A good way to avoid all this business is simply to walk with or near someone else from Sevilla to Zafra or thereabouts.
Chances of it happening? I can only mention that having walked in Spain for more than ten years and talking to hundreds of people, I have never ever heard of it before now.

Buen Camino para todos,

Kevin

Now I know why I decided to start my car,into from Merida. I will be starting on 17 May. Is anyone likely to on the way ? I am planning 4 days to Carceses. Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am a fighter. My instinct is to confront and not give in. However, I know this is a good way to die or get seriously hurt.

If all they want is your money, and maybe your camera, give it to them. These things are easily replaced. Your personal safety is your greatest concern.

If they want more than that, and I'm thinking of the women here, fight them with every bit of strength you can muster. Kick them between the legs. Gouge out their eyes with your fingers. Bite them. Scratch their faces. I'm sorry for being so graphic, but this is what you must do.
Drop your rucksack and run away!

How sad to think of such things when reading about the Camino. Pray for your safety and know that more than 99.9% make their camino without incident.

Yes. Saw her the last time in Plasencia (yesterday, actually). I was heading for the bus to Carcaboso, she just arrived from Galisteo. She was with a Danish pilgrim and and wanted to stay in Plasencia for a while. I also spoke with her in the albergue parroquial in Alcuéscar. She was doing quite alright, but stille didn't dare to walk alone. She had problems with her knee and was bussing a large part of the route.

I mean the day before yesterday. Days and places are getting confusing ;-)

I think the fact this is such big news shows how safe the Camino Frances really is. I will be leaving for my first Camino in under two weeks and although I am a 22 year old guy I have no reservations by reading things. Sprained ankles and sun burn seem to be a bigger issue to worry about!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino Frances is very safe! This was the Via de la Plata. Much less pilgrims and long stages where you see nobody. It also appears to be two guys focusing on lone pilgrims. I don't think it's a trend. Just made me skittish at first.

Oops! I should have noticed that... But anyways, if I was traveling that particular route I think I would feel just as safe!

Hi everyone. I'm on my 2nd round of knee problems so I'm leaving the camino.
Definitely don't let my robbery put you off but walk in a group for those southern sections and lock or click your rucksack (use the waistband) to the bed at night. I've met a pilgrim who lost his pack while he slept in an albergue.

Also met a young Hungarian woman who says that she met a Dutch couple were robbed on the first section 4 days before me (same thieves it sounds like). So gather a group at the hostel in Seville before you go... There is plenty of opportunity to do this.

Buen Camino.
Ali, Salamanca.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So sorry about your knee.
Glad you are safe
Luka said she met you

I'm also leaving for the Camino Frances
More familiar territory.
I will walk another stretch of this route maybe next year

There are some eastern European immigrants living in Guillena. The hospitalara at the albergue said they had been having problems with kids messing around and on the day we were there all the boots from the boot rack were found outside on the road. A couple of kids (10 years maybe) tried to entice us into a building near the albergue, we ignored them. Maybe their elder brothers/fathers may have been the ones committing the robberies - who knows. Hope it gets sorted out. We had no problems whatsoever on the rest of the route.

We are a Dutch couple who were robbed on the 26 th of April, by 2 masked men (a young and an older one) maybe roma's some kilometers before Guillena where you cross a small river with trees. They wanted our money and took our mobiles.They used a big knife and a screwdriver. After this we went to the police in Guillena. We were very shocked but continued our camino. The men run away and took a big black car they parked near a farm about 200 meters from the river.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The idea of carrying weapons on the camino (pepper spray) is the most ludicrous thing I ever heard of. If you are inclined to arm yourself on a pilgrim trail, best stay at home.

I mean in general, i am not referring to myself in any specific situation which seems to have provoked a reaction in you?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

@christer1
I've said it all long ago :)

KinkyOne said:
But I think all the pilgrims should be aware that (some) people are desperate because they lost their jobs, they can not feed their families and thinking of getting easy money from those "rich-nothing-really-important-doing" pilgrims. I guess you all know the economic situation in EU, Spain and..... But if they're not kind of professionals you should be even more careful because they tend to be veryvery nervous. They're most possibly not used to this kind of getting money and that is important. I saw (or was) many similar situations and I would really recommend to stay absolutely calm and do exactly what they want you to. That is I assume one would carry only a limited amount of cash or/and stacked the rest of it in some hidden pocket of a rucksack.

On the other hand if you have some knowledge in self-defense or feeling really strong (mentally) in those situations than use your walking poles (or a pepper-spray) as a weapon of defense or at least start to scream out loud even if in the middle of nowhere. That might scare them off, because most probably they're even more scared than you are. But I still think it's better to act according to previous paragraph.

I think we have to remember that some humans behave badly - they could be pilgrims or not. They could be on a camino route, but mostly not. By weight of numbers there are more crimes against people (muggings etc) in cities/towns. It is unlikely to happen - but sometimes it does.
In a lifetime travelling in Europe I have only had two instances. Once a pickpocket tried to get in my bag on a train in Madrid (luckily I noticed and whilst I tried to muster enough Spanish to swear at the guy in his own language - I am so polite!) my husband pushed him off the train. Then a couple of weeks ago in the South of France a young guy checked me out as he went by - as I am overweight and late 40s (and really not his type!) - this set off a small alarm bell and I realised he had followed me and was part way into my bag - this time I just stuck with good old Anglo-Saxon...
So I think it doesn't hurt to be vigilant and sensible with hiding valuables etc, but we oughtn't give into fear - don't change your life because of what some lowlife might do!

The above post reminds me of an incident several years ago in Palma, Mallorca.
I was waiting for the airport bus in Placa Espanya one morning, got chatting to an English couple who were also waiting, with their suitcases etc.
Suddenly, the wife noticed her handbag had disappeared from the seat beside her. She started shouting, and luckily spotted a young guy running off with the bag. Well, she set off after him like a mad thing (we're talking mature lady, not overly slim :D ) , yelling her head off, and, would you believe, caught him up and grabbed her bag back. Which contained both their passports, return tickets, cash and cards.....
So I guess that thief was perhaps of the desperate , non- experienced kind.....

KinkyOne said:
@christer1
I've said it all long ago :)

KinkyOne said:

Sorry - people don't takeout knives and screwdrivers and rob people because they lost a job or are less well off than they used to be. They do it because they are thoroughly bad people - often drug addicted. We should never forget that of the large numbers of people in Spain whose financial circumstances are difficult crime is the resort of only a tiny, tiny minority. In the case of the vile robberies mentioned here, the accounts seem to cover one nasty pair of individuals. What is more, I'd put money on it that they are not Spanish, but are criminal parasites that have come to the country to prey on others.

Wim and Christien, I am sorry for your troubles. Your experience must have been very unpleasant. But why "maybe Roma"? Why not "not Dutch" "not Spanish" or "Not Pilgrims". We have enough sh!t to shovel without copping for every maybe in Europe. "Maybe Roma" just adds to a mythology that allows for every kind of oppression and suppression that keeps people " outside of society" as Patti Smith so succinctly put it.

I have sympathy for you and for those others who have posted in this thread of unpleasant and threatening experiences. I've been pickpocketed, beaten up, robbed and burgled, each unpleasant events - and perpetrated, so far as one is ever able to tell, by true born englishmen. Not Roma! not eastern Europeans, not anyone I wasn't thoroughly aquainted with. Just low life scum or desperate people depending on whether you speak for the prosecution or defence.

I so agree with Tinkatinker...

It seems that Pilgrims throughout the history of the camino have encountered

Robbers and Sinners and Thieves...Oh My!

But surely we are also destined to meet along The Way

Angles and Pagans and Saints...

And somehow through the process, discover a little of each in ourselves (metaphorically speaking).

Sending prayers and wishes for safe passage, loving compassion and profound transformation to all travelers as we prepare to begin our own journey.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wim and Christien, how terrible! Hope this experience hasn't spoiled your pilgrimage too much. I realize now even more how lucky I have been. You two robbed the 26th of April, Nomadali the 29th, and I have been walking (all alone) there on the 28th...

Tincatinker said:
Wim and Christien, I am sorry for your troubles. Your experience must have been very unpleasant. But why "maybe Roma"? Why not "not Dutch" "not Spanish" or "Not Pilgrims". We have enough sh!t to shovel without copping for every maybe in Europe. "Maybe Roma" just adds to a mythology that allows for every kind of oppression and suppression that keeps people " outside of society" as Patti Smith so succinctly put it.
I get your point. Those speculations (also by at least one other poster here) might not be wise. Even if it were Roma. I guess the movie The Way didn't help in this case...

Hi, I'm new to this forum, though not new to Caminos. I have read the reports with anxiety as I am a lone female traveller (despite my forum name) aged 66. I intend to start from Seville in the third week of September this year (hopefully 18th). Is anyone out there planning to start the VdlP around the same time? I usually prefer to walk alone, but it sounds like company on the first couple of stages would be prudent.
Also, are there any more recent reports of robbery and/or violence on the vdlP?

Would be grateful for answers to this post. Gracias!

I hope your biggest worry in Seville in September will be the heat ! I hope you find a companion pilgrim if that is your wish, however I'm reminded of the cliches of " there is nothing to fear but fear itself" type. I can suffer from extreme anxiety; for myself, for others; but know ultimately that risk can't be avoided without becoming a prisoner of that anxiety. I hope that circumstances give you a safe and free Camino, I wish I could join you !

Thanks, stevenjarvis. You are right about fear of fear. I'll be prepared (have alarm, spray, and dummy wallet), but I remember when I was about to do my first Camino (Voie de Vézelay and the Francés) I anxiously asked experienced female pilgrims about safety, and they said "St James will after you!" He has so far!

But if anyone is starting from Seville mid-September please let me know.

So I think it doesn't hurt to be vigilant and sensible with hiding valuables etc, but we oughtn't give into fear - don't change your life because of what some lowlife might do!
Stealing (the taking of someone's property, other than from their person by force or threat), and Robbery (the taking of property from the person, usually with the element of threat of violence) can happen ANYWHERE. I dare say that ROBBERY is extremely rare on the Camino, while stealing is a bit more common. Nevertheless, it is likely that such incidents are LESS common on the Camino than in our home communities. By way of illustration: Spain, a country of about 45 million people, had @ 300 intentional homocides in 2011. Chicago had over 600, and the USA had over 15,000. Statistically, that one type of crime is over 8 times LESS likely to occur in Spain, then in my home country. I live in Kansas City, and feel safe in my community, although hardly a day goes by that the news doesn't include a story about seriose criminal violence which has occurred within a couple of miles of my home.
Over 150,000 Pilgrims walk the Camino every year. The vast majority experience no criminal incidents, however our attention and thus fear immediately focuses on the isolated occurrence, instead of retaining the larger context.
Yes, be sensible and vigilant. No, do not be controlled by fear, and CERTAINLY do not become the clarion call of such fear. Pete Schloss.

€60,-
I agree with all of the comments about Spain's low crime rate, and I've said many times that the Camino has always felt like the safest place on earth to me. I walk alone, on some Caminos I am the only person in the albergue, I have never been afraid or nervous.

But that's not what this thread is about. It's about a specific place that has had repeated occurrences of the same type of attack on pilgrims. It's not a crime wave, by any means, and I'm not suggesting that people should be hysterical or afraid. But it should be something that people are aware of, because this one particular stretch, though not remote by any means, is more than a stone's throw from habitation or commerce.

Common sense always prevail. Walking alone might be peaceful to you but surely make you a target if I was a criminal. So, how about that human trait called social interaction?
Walk alongside someone else. You still can walk alone but to others look like a pair.
Put your money, valuables, in different locations. That helps not losing it all. If you are older, not well, etc. give it up. But screaming always is a good deterrence. If I were to hear screaming, for sure I would look for you. I think many others would too.

Percentage wise, el camino is safer than 99.99% of the places you frequent everyday in your own country, so why worry ?

Best advice anyone can give...numbers=deterrence
Now it's up to everyone to do and use their free will.

Enjoy your Camino pilgrim !

Some people walking in pairs have been robbed, so you might want to find a group.
On most the first stages of the VDLP, there is nobody to hear you scream... literally.

There's being paranoid, and there's being prudent.
They're different.
There have been several robberies on that first stage, so if I were walking it again, I'd either find a group to walk with or I'd start a stage or two up the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To all peregrinos walking or intending walking the camino de la plata.

Don't let a few robberies scare you into not doing the vdlp. I walked this past winter the via de la plata alone practically all the way from sevilla to sdc without any problems. If you are worried, walk with someone on the first stages of the camino. Most of the reported robberies seemed to occur in the first 2 stages of the vdlp (province of sevilla). Spain is a very safe country as compared to other countries. Be assure that the guardia civil are actually pursueing these criminals.

I am backed in santiago again almost 2 weeks working in my albergue as a hospitalero and i have not heard any recent robberies committed in the past couple of months.

So enjoy your camino, just watch out for the hot weather.

Que tengan un buen camino y un buen dia. God bless.

Last edited:
To all peregrinos walking or intending walking the camino de la plata...
I am backed in santiago again almost 2 weeks working in my albergue as a hospitalero and i have not heard any recent robberies committed in the past couple of months...
A careful reading of this thread reveals only one "first person" experience of a robbery in the last two years. The remaining discussion is quite non-specific and speculative about "reports of robberies". It is good to know that there have been no reports of incidents for months now. I am wondering if you are in a position to put this thread to rest and advise how many incidents were actually reported to the authorities. Thanks. Pete

A careful reading of this thread reveals only one "first person" experience
It is a good illustration of how one person's experience can spin almost into an urban myth. It is good to have the post because it reminds us of the need for caution, but crime is simply not widespread, and the police have a vital interest in protecting pilgrims. Think about the 35E per day pilgrims spend for somewhere between a week and five weeks. That is a lot of money going directly to service providers in small villages and cities!

Another example, far more widespread, is the bed race. We all feel the pressure, but one person posting about having a problem in one place for one night simply ignores the 190,000 other pilgrims annually who always find a bed every night! Quite frankly, you have to be doing something wrong to sleep outdoors (unless you want to). As irritating as lines outside albergues might be at 2 p.m., it does not mean anything except some pilgrims stopped walking before an albergue has even opened. After the initial crush there may be unfilled beds for the night. There is the illusion that conditions are crowded, but it is only an illusion. I have spoken to hundreds of pilgrims who walk during all times of the year who never reserve, and never have a problem getting a bed.

There is a harshness to the written word that conceals the true content. It probably is always wise to read posts with a critical eye whether it reports an interesting one-time event, or if there is a wider information content. For example, someone reports a bad experience with an albergue. Does it report a chronic condition, or a single event? If it is chronic, say no plumbing or electricity, then it is data that can be used to make an informed decision. If it is a grumpy volunteer hospitalero, the problem will go away in a short while!

Back to the subject of crime, it will happen sometimes. Keep that in mind, but do not walk in fear. The caminos are safe.

I hesitate to jump in once again to try to get this thread back on track, but I will. I guess I'm having a dull day at the office. No one is disagreeing with any of the comments about safety in Spain. No one is trying to generate hysteria.

The message here is that a peregrina reported being attacked in late April on the first stage of the Vdlp, after the arroyo and before Italica. There was one other first hand report, by a Dutch or Belgian couple, I believe, who had experienced the same thing.

In 2012, this happened also: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/robbery-on-the-vdlp.13960/

Same place, same victims -- pilgrims. Does that make it a lion's den? No, of course not, but given the tiny fraction of people who walk the Vdlp and who also comment on this forum, it is an N of some significance.

If I were walking the Vdlp again, as a single woman in her 60s who generally walks alone, I would want to have this information so that I could make a prudent decision about risk and probability.

Several people have recommended walking with others. Well, that's good advice, but if you have walked the Vdlp, you will know that there are not always "others" to walk with. So then what? I think I would want to make my decision with the most up to date information available.

If people generalize and get hysterical about this, there is really nothing we can do about it, but for rational people this information is extremely valuable, it seems to me.

Buen camino. Laurie

THIS JUST IN: For the three months ending August, 2013, 112,661 pilgrims were received at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago. By some reports nearly 70,000 of these pilgrims suffered from blisters. At the minimum, this epidemic has caused pain and suffering for hundreds of Perigrinos each day. It has cost many tens of thousands of dollars in bandages, Compeed, antibiotic creams, analgesics, special socks, and new/replacement boots. The more serious cases have necessitated visits to clinics and have even resulted in pilgrims suspending, cutting short or even ending their Caminos. In spite of their best efforts, doctors, nurses, and Farmacias appear powerless to lessen the impact of this scourge upon those who are its helpless victims. ALL are cautioned to wear properly fitted shoes and to walk prudently within their personal limits. DO NOT IGNORE THE SIGNS OF BLISTERS AS INFECTION CAN AND DOES OCCUR. Consult with your doctor, exercise physiologist, sporting goods retailer, or personal trainer for further recommendations.
Oh, by the way, there have been no robberies reported on the Camino VdlP during the same three months.

THIS JUST IN: For the three months ending August, 2013, 112,661 pilgrims were received at the Pilgrims Office ............Oh, by the way, there have been no robberies reported on the Camino VdlP during the same three months.
Excellent observation - be aware but not intimidated.

Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

Keep a smile on your face, a prayer in your heart, and your eyes open.

On the practical side, I have photographed my passport and credit card and e-mailed them to myself. I have used a subject line something like You Idiot or Bad Luck to hide the contents. Just in case someone's sticky fingers DO make it into my pocket, at least I will have a copy to work with in the retrieval process.

And in the spirit of the Camino, after the knee-jerk curse comes out of your mouth, send the perpetrator on his or her way with a blessing.

Matthew 10:16
Thank you, dmantony, that's a good footing for a pilgrimage. And thank you everyone who's posted recently in this thread. I am certainly hoping to find fellow pilgrims to walk with on the first couple of stages. So - still a request to anyone who'll be starting from Sevilla on the 18th or 19th - gulp! next week!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sir John,
Our journeys begin at the same time, but sadly, on different paths. I hit the Camino in Logrono. I will walk next to you in my heart.
And I totally understand the "gulp." My planning has been a year-long process (the Forum members have been my constant companions and mentors) and the trip has seemed so distant. Now it's a week away and the reality seems dreamlike. "Gulp" indeed.
Buen Camino,
Deborah

"If someone threatens you with a knife or a pistol DO EXACTLY WHAY THEY SAY, AND DO NOT RESIST. Unless you really know what you are doing."

a robber with a weapon has the weapon specifically hoping you will not resist and are often frightened away by resistance. A robber who is looking to kill will kill you whether you resist or not. The reason robbery becomes rampant is because it is so successful. If you ask me, not resisting is a good way to get not only robbed but killed.

a robber with a weapon has the weapon specifically hoping you will not resist and are often frightened away by resistance. A robber who is looking to kill will kill you whether you resist or not. The reason robbery becomes rampant is because it is so successful. If you ask me, not resisting is a good way to get not only robbed but killed.

If you will consult with law enforcement and security experts I believe that you will find that your advise is not shared by those professionals. I do not consider myself such an expert, but I have spent over 35 years working in the criminal justice system as a parole officer, defense attorney, and prosecuting attorney. The saddest cases are those that escalated from a property crime into one involving serious physical injury (or worse) because of resistance. It is rarely wise to risk one's life or health over a matter of mere money or property.

Fortunately such incidents are extremely rare in Spain and on the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you will consult with law enforcement and security experts I believe that you will find that your advise is not shared by those professionals. I do not consider myself such an expert, but I have spent over 35 years working in the criminal justice system as a parole officer, defense attorney, and prosecuting attorney. The saddest cases are those that escalated from a property crime into one involving serious physical injury (or worse) because of resistance. It is rarely wise to risk one's life or health over a matter of mere money or property.

Fortunately such incidents are extremely rare in Spain and on the Camino.

You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. No one will attack me without significant resistance.

I believe the robbery between sevilla and guillena on the first stage of the vdlp has been blown out of proportion. So far we have the first hand experience of nomadali as mentioned by her. However we have heard many rumours about other robberies committed in this stage. As a hospitalero working in my large albergue for almost 50 days in santiago and also working in the pilgrim office issuing compostelas i have not heard of anything happening in the province of sevilla or any other place. I dare anyone with actual experience of robbery in thiis area to let us know. If not let us put this topic to rest. There are too many scaremongers trying to scare pelegrinos into not walking the vdlp. Let us not be hysterical about robbery. I walked this camino all the way from sevilla starting the first of february of this past winter to sdc alone, meeting on the way only 7 pelegrinos in 36 days, and i did not have any untoward things happened to me. As a matter of fact, i have encountered nothing but kindness and warm hospitality from the inhabitants along the way. I fell down crossing the arroyos outside of caparra and hit my head with blood in 3 different places on my face and upon reaching the next town at 8 pm, the waiter at the cafe-bar insisted on taking me to health clinic. I told him i am alright. The next morning i was dragged to the clinic by an important person and went directly to the doctor's office without an appointment. I was examined and took care of.

Please for all you pelegrinos who are not familiar or knowledgeable about spain, let me iliterate that spain is a very safe country with very low crime rates. Also during this economic crisis and any other time the revenue provided by pelegrinos passing through the small pueblos are a very important source of their income without which many of the small pueblos would not have survived. The authority and the police, both local and the guardia civil, will not let these crimes go unnoticed or unpunished. As a matter of fact it is considered to be a stain on the reputation of spain.

So don't change your plan if you are doing the vdlp. Que tengan un buen camino y que dios os bendiga.

It is with some dread that I pull up this thread, since I got a lot of criticism for insisting that it was relevant information, but just in case anyone comes upon this thread in the future, I want to make sure he or she will see the important follow-up information that I posted on another thread. Suspects have been arrested, and they appear to be connected to these incidents, which, I can assure you all, were not an urban myth.

Details here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...ear-sevilla-thanks-to-canadian-pilgrim.20805/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since as posted by peregrino 2000 that 2 suspected robbers have been arrested outside of sevilla in camas, i wonder whether there are any more robberies committed in the first 2-3 stages of the vdlp from sevilla?

Any feedback from peregrinos who have walked from sevilla?

Buen camino and god bless.

Hi. Glad you continued on.

Your link leads to a page that says the blog does not exist?

Hey Annie!

It seems to be working now. I have that happen to me sometimes too. Usually a temporary glitch of the server.

I think there is an advantage to carrying a wooden walking stick. I also carry a WHISTLE around my neck [ leaving 9 SEP 14 for Camino Frances ] while I am out late at night training and this startles the dogs that seem like a threat to me. Would startle all but the most hardened criminals.

Keep AWARE of your surroundings rather than lost in thought. Having that extra wallet with SOME money [ but not a lot ] is the best idea if you want to avoid a confrontation. I carry two even now in my back pocket with one having expired credit cards [ different numbers ], membership cards and about $20 in cash.

And, carry a big stick. :)

Blessings,

Noah from Indianapolis

PS: I grew up in a bad section of the city and have told patients, "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean no one is out to get you". ha ha.

Keep a smile on your face, a prayer in your heart, and your eyes open.

On the practical side, I have photographed my passport and credit card and e-mailed them to myself. I have used a subject line something like You Idiot or Bad Luck to hide the contents. Just in case someone's sticky fingers DO make it into my pocket, at least I will have a copy to work with in the retrieval process.

And in the spirit of the Camino, after the knee-jerk curse comes out of your mouth, send the perpetrator on his or her way with a blessing.
Personally I would be reluctant to send my credit card details by email …it may not be secure

I believe there are 2-3 of us starting from Seville in the next couple of days. Sounds like safety in numbers is the way to go, so will take this idea on board and, with the smart advice about hiding money in different parts of the kit, I am still looking forward to all the positives of the next 1000 km. Thanks to all for input on the matter. The bottom line is probably to walk together during the day to mitigate opportunities for thieves, and to be vigilant at Albergues. I have only ever found Spanish people to be good humoured and very helpful. Long May this last.

Let's not overreact. I will be back on the Via de la Plata in August en will certainly walk alone.

Hi Deborah, I arrive in Seville tonight and would love to walk out together but would want to spend a day in Seville tomorrow 8th, for a quick look at the marvels on offer. Hopefully see you tonight or tomorrow morning.

Hi Deborah, I arrive in Seville tonight and would love to walk out together but would want to spend a day in Seville tomorrow 8th, for a quick look at the marvels on offer. Hopefully see you tonight or tomorrow morning.

Hi Angela
Your time has come !
But don't rush off! It is such a long haul , take that time tomorrow to 'smell the roses'. Literally. There is such a lovely rose garden in the park opposite Plaza de Espana

'Buen Camino
Annie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Angela
Your time has come !
But don't rush off! It is such a long haul , take that time tomorrow to 'smell the roses'. Literally. There is such a lovely rose garden in the park opposite Plaza de Espana

'Buen Camino
Annie
Hi Annie,
Wise words and in that I've got jet lag I'll take your advice. I'll think of you as I'm smelling the roses.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back