• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Via de la Plata, Mérida - Aljucén

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Reported on Facebook: in the morning of 17 March a man with a car blocked the road to a female pilgrim, got out of his car and started masturbating.

View attachment 120777

I imagine that the Via de la Plata has now even lesser prilgrims on the Camino than the Frances has ( in terms of general numbers this has always been the case ). So this brings me to this thought : Was this perpetrator just randomly driving when he saw this lady or did he see her earlier and did he follow her? Not that it matters in terms of being violated but if it is the latter it is even scarier.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I imagine that the Via de la Plata has now even lesser prilgrims on the Camino than the Frances has ( in terms of general numbers this has always been the case ). So this brings me to this thought : Was this perpetrator just randomly driving when he saw this lady or did he see her earlier and did he follow her? Not that it matters in terms of being violated but if it is the latter it is even scarier.
Yes, I was wondering the same. Must be really quiet on the Via de la Plata. I haven't any other information though, apart from what I read on FB.

Reported on Facebook: in the morning of March 17 a man in a car blocked the road to a female pilgrim, got out of his car and started masturbating.

View attachment 120777

I see the original poster only mentions man and car. A few more details would be advisable.... description of the man, color of the car etc to name some.
ALERT COPS has a button for Agresión Sexual. The moment you push that button (and others) the Police will have your location, and if necessary they can trace all phones in the same spot. Or discover a phone that was nearby on similar occasions. 🤖

I looked up the area on google maps and it seems very open. It could be a chance encounter, and / or the man came from a place where he had a good view of the entire area, meaning he could see the peregrina approaching and also notice that there was no one else around. Plus the entrance to the motorway is nearby.

I hope the peregrina is doing fine. I also hope she reported the incident with as many details as she could remember.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walking sti
Reported on Facebook: in the morning of March 17 a man in a car blocked the road to a female pilgrim, got out of his car and started masturbating.

View attachment 120777
Walking sticks have been found to be an effective deterrent against unsightly penises. And a licence plate makes it so much easier to apprehend the rapscallion and place him in mental health care.

Yes, I was wondering the same. Must be really quiet on the Via de la Plata. I haven't any other information though, apart from what I read on FB.
Very quiet indeed. Just returned from 20 days doing Sevilla - Salamanca and met in total (!) not 20 pilgrims during those days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

View attachment 120777

Any updates, @Luka ?

I tried, but I didn't find anything, except an older thread by @notion900 on the forum, from 2017 (!)

18th April around noon just after the Embalsa de Proserpina (Mérida), where the camino leaves the asphalt road on the left, and there is water erosion to the path, the path breaks into three due to the eroded gullys.

I encountered a man energetically 'pleasuring himself' behind a bush.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pervy-man-on-the-via-de-la-plata.47809/

Would that be the same area? or even near?

A scary situation to be in, especially while alone.
Something similar happened to me and a group of friends when we were young teenagers, waiting for a ride from a parent, in an empty department store parking lot. My friends all commented, but I wasn't wearing my glasses and squinted in his direction while saying "what's he got?" I never did make out anything. Luckily the guy closed his car door and drove away after my comment.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
11.February this year I was alone at exactly the same spot when a white car drove off the asphalt road and stopped in front of me where the path starts. A man came out of the car, and as I found this a little strange, I picked up my phone and pretended I spoke to someone. I speeded up my walking pace and when I turned around after about 100 meters to see if he followed me, he got into his car and drove away. At that time I just thought I had been overreacting, but when I read this post, I wonder if it could be the same man. I guess he was 40-50 years old with very black hair.

Last edited:
11.february this year I was alone at exactly the same spot when a white car drove off the asphalt road and stopped in front of me where the path starts. A man came out of the car,
Would you consider reporting this on Alert Cops, even now? It seems a good idea to make them aware of the slightly suspicious incident. One actual incident and several suspicious ones add up to enough that the police should be making enquiries or stepping up awareness. Maybe even mention that you heard about another incident later, in case it wasn't reported.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back