• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

AlertCops registration issue

jgiesbrecht

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Fisterra, Muxia Sept-Oct 2020
Has anyone else had trouble registering with the app? I'm scheduled to start on Tuesday, so just setting up my sim card and phone and things today. I'm from Canada, using a uk vodafone card, and it keeps telling me its an invalid mobile phone number. Not sure what else I can do to register :/ I know I'm typing it right, and I don't want to enter my canadian number because I'm not bringing that phone with me. Or should I use that number just to register and can I change it in the app later? Any help would be appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems. Just to double check - are you using the right country codes? For UK 0044 and take away the first 0 in the main number. I have registered with my UK SIM and it worked first time.
I might just wait until I get over there and try it I guess....I have activated my phone, but I'm wondering if maybe I can't get any messages except system ones while in North America or something. Once I land if I still can't get it then I'll message their support. Good to know about the 0 though!!

my solution to cell phone problems? I have done 12 Caminos and never travel with a phone plain and simple.
@nathanael, and would you say that travelling to Spain right now, in Covid-19 times, is a brilliant idea and would you advise others to leave their mobile phones at home this September and October? If you fly directly to Spain, you need to present the obligatory SpTh code at the airport - it's a lot less hassle when you did your part in advance on your mobile phone and present the code at border control. Authorities may need to contact you for Covid-19 tracing - you make their arduous work a lot easier when you have a mobile phone with you. Covid-19 measures may be introduced by the national, regional or local authorities at short notice while you walk and may affect you - it will be so much easier for you to COMPLY when you stay up to date thanks to your mobile phone.

@jgiesbrecht, there is a remote possibility that a text message sent from Spain to a UK mobile phone number in Canada is not received. However, I'd be too curious to wait until I'm in Spain ;). I'd probably send, or have a friend send, a text message to the mobile phone and I'd check again that I had entered the phone number correctly both in the window where I had registered the Alert Cop app and in the window where I had activated it. The country code must be set to +44 for the UK (not to the preset number which +34 for Spain) and the UK mobile phone number must be entered without the leading 0, as already mentioned. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I ran into issues last year before I had even started the Mozarabe from Almeria. I needed my phone to text in order to get access to some albergues as far as Granada. My contract was with Virgin and quite simply connection to local networks was refused. Luckily I had taken an EE PAYG Sim with me as well. This worked as far as Spain to UK calls and text but would not permit calls or text into the Spanish network ( despite obviously the UK calls being routed through them). I had to solve the problem double quick by buying a Spanish Sim which cost 12 euros for the Sim and 10 euros for unlimited Spanish calls and texts (data costs extra). Also as my phone took two Sim cards I was able to use the EE card for calls back home and the Spanish Sim for arranging the albergues. The Spanish Sim worked perfectly, no connectivity issues and easy in-store set up while you wait.
Bottom Line..... plan for a "what if". If you can get a cheap two Sim phone then take it. If you can get a back up SIM to take along then take that but be prepared to buy a Spanish Sim and simply use that to download the app once in Spain.
I challenged EE on my return to UK as to why their Sim would not work Spain to Spain and only Spain to UK and was told that they tweak what is available on their cards ie PAYG offers less than a pay monthly contract.
Hope this helps and has not confused too much.
Don

my solution to cell phone problems? I have done 12 Caminos and never travel with a phone plain and simple.

We discussed the pros and cons of cellphones on a Camino ad infinitum so I will not start it again.

I was more than relieved to have my cellphone with me when I had a minor heatstroke on the Ingles and had to find a hospital. And that was even in pre Covid times.

And I remember lots of pilgrims who walked without a phone but were more than happy to ask for my assistance when they needed to search something on the internet or make a reservation. Nice as I am ( hehe ) I always helped them out.

No one says you have to be glued to your cellphone. It is just a handy device.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@nathanael, and would you say that travelling to Spain right now, in Covid-19 times, is a brilliant idea and would you advise others to leave their mobile phones at home this September and October? If you fly directly to Spain, you need to present the obligatory SpTh code at the airport - it's a lot less hassle when you did your part in advance on your mobile phone and present the code at border control. Authorities may need to contact you for Covid-19 tracing - you make their arduous work a lot easier when you have a mobile phone with you. Covid-19 measures may be introduced by the national, regional or local authorities at short notice while you walk and may affect you - it will be so much easier for you to COMPLY when you stay up to date thanks to your mobile phone.

@jgiesbrecht, there is a remote possibility that a text message sent from Spain to a UK mobile phone number in Canada is not received. However, I'd be too curious to wait until I'm in Spain ;). I'd probably send, or have a friend send, a text message to the mobile phone and I'd check again that I had entered the phone number correctly both in the window where I had registered the Alert Cop app and in the window where I had activated it. The country code must be set to +44 for the UK (not to the preset number which +34 for Spain) and the UK mobile phone number must be entered without the leading 0, as already mentioned. Best of luck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

did I say it was ???? personally for myself I believe that Canada is safer than any place. No, I would not travel to Spain but all these restrictions, when Spain had the highest Cov19 at the start. I plan on stay at home when there is a vaccine.

did I say it was ???? personally for myself I believe that Canada is safer than any place. No, I would not travel to Spain but all these restrictions, when Spain had the highest Cov19 at the start. I plan on stay at home when there is a vaccine.
@nathanael, no, you didn't say you were. Someone who planned to travel to Spain from Canada - and who btw is NOW already in Spain and walking on Camino and with her mobile phone - asked for help with a technical problem for a specific Spanish app (Alert Cops) on her mobile phone and you said that your solution to cell phone problems was to "never travel with a phone plain and simple" :rolleyes:. Which, actually, is not a solution to a problem with an app but avoidance of any problems with any app. 😇

Whether you yourself stay at home and wait for a vaccine does not help to solve the question about the technical problem with the mobile phone app so I fail to understand why you posted it in this thread. In particular since you already mentioned your staying at home and waiting for a vaccine a few times in other threads.

Anyway ... I'd love to hear from @jgiesbrecht and how she and her mobile phone are doing right now in Navarra, Spain. :)

Last edited:
@nathanael, no, you didn't say you were. Someone who mplanned to travel to Spain from Canada - and who btw is NOW already in Spain and walking on Camino and with her mobile phone - asked for help with a technical problem for a specific Spanish app (Alert Cops) on her mobile phone and you said that your solution to cell phone problems was to "never travel with a phone plain and simple" :rolleyes:. Which, actually, is not a solution to a problem with an app but avoidance of any problems with any app. 😇Y

Whether you yourself stay at home and wait for a vaccine does not help to solve the question about the technical problem with the mobile phone app so I fail to understand why you posted it in this thread. In particular since you already mentioned your staying at home and waiting for a vaccine a few times in other threads.
Nate, I have to wait, until the USA opens up and Spain reduces its positivity before my next camno. However, I heard the head of the CDC state two days ago that masks may be safer than a Vaccine and research supports the efficacy of masks. We, do not, of course, at this point know which vaccine will be most efficacious, but I am feeling more confident, that proper use of a mask by pilgrims when unable to distance properly, or when inside any establishment would make the risk greatly reduced.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
there is a remote possibility that a text message sent from Spain to a UK mobile phone number in Canada is not received
These things are continually changing, but in the past, I have had trouble sending text messages from a Spanish phone plan to Canada. I had to use WhatsApp, FB Messenger or email.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.