• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Algarve-Faro. way marking and signalling.

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Various ones.
A group in Faro, Algarve has started to map a route along a historical path to Palmela, north of Setubal. From thnere it will either go to Lisbon or Santerem, maybe both. They had a meeting in Faro on Wednesday about the route and plan to walk the first section to Loule and mark it in February. There is no timescale at the moment, https://www.Facebook.com/groups/jacobeusfaro/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A group in Faro, Algarve has started to map a route along a historical path to Palmela, north of Setubal. From thnere it will either go to Lisbon or Santerem, maybe both. They had a meeting in Faro on Wednesday about the route and plan to walk the first section to Loule and mark it in February. There is no timescale at the moment, https://www.Facebook.com/groups/jacobeusfaro/

Hi
This looks interesting, but the link wants me to log in to Facebook. As I don’t have an account (and don’t want one) I can’t access the info. Please let us know when they have a dedicated website. Jill

Hi
This looks interesting, but the link wants me to log in to Facebook. As I don’t have an account (and don’t want one) I can’t access the info. Please let us know when they have a dedicated website. Jill
Hi Jill I Wasn't sure what was going to happen when I put the link up, had bad visions of posters linking in to my Facebook. I assumed that non Facebook members could browse the Faro amigos site. I don't think they have another site at the moment, I will contact them and see if we can sort it out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi
Hi Jill the contact said they are going to create a Blog with the details for each etapa however this may not happen for a while. Sorry I couldn't give you a more positive answer.

Hi Jill the contact said they are going to create a Blog with the details for each etapa however this may not happen for a while. Sorry I couldn't give you a more positive answer.

It is very important to mark the way from Faro and Tavira, as the number of pilgrims is increasing.
In 2015 began the way in Faro 36 pilgrims. I talked to two pilgrims in Lisbon who started the way in Faro.

Statistics 2015:
http://www.peregrinossantiago.es/esp/wp-content/uploads/informes/peregrinaciones2015.pdf

Hi Amismoes I have seen those figures and there was a few in 2014 as well, I assumed it was a mixture of very intrepid walking pilgrims and mostly cyclists, I had seen some blogs for the later. I met the people involved in this project by camino coincidence over the pilgrim meal at the parador recently, I had thought the route would go the other way of the interior, but they feel it is more manageable if they go to Palmela. The biggest problem they feel they will face is maintenance of the arrows and marking. In the North of Portugal there is a big interest in the Camino so local people help maintain and update the way but in the south the same level of interest is not there. I hope it has a similar effect as the Camino Torres where local groups have started to walk the route and help in the way marking.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For those who have a special interest to start the Camino at Algarve, there's some fresh news. Coming from SetĂşbal, after reaching Palmela, you can continue towards Covas de Coina (GPS 38.587131, -9.021523) having Arrabida Mountain on your landscape. Here, pass over the minor roads of little towns as Coina, Palhais, Telha Velha (GPS 38.640644, -9.059177) and then, downing side by side the river until you get the boat station at Barreiro to cross river Tagus. You will enter on Lisbon downtown directly. It's already common to see some bycicle-pilgrims on Decathlon store of Coina, fixing mechanical problems.

Atention: There's no arrow or yellow sign yet which can help you!

Ultreya!

Just to bump this thread and give a little update, the Faro association of AEJ has put the 1st etapa on wikiloc, they have walked a 2nd etapa and put details on their facebook page , Loule to Salir and they are walking a 3rd etapa this Saturday, Salir to Ameixial.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Faro group of Associacao Espaco Jacobeus (AEJ) have walked the next etapa Ameixial to Almodovar and put the details up on wikiloc, there is a link on their Facebook page. The group is a recognised one by the organisation which oversees all the Camino groups, there has been a bit of debate as to which is the correct route but they are trying to be true to the historical paths as much as possible. Some of the photos of the etapas are quite stunning.

Here it is, the website for the route. It gives info for the etapas walked and lists future etapas, it seems they are going to take it to Santiago do Cacem then up to Grandola and around to Palmela
www.caminhosantiagoportuguessul.pt

The site is quite new , so it needs a bit of patience , more info, maps, accommodation will be added as the group volunteers find their feet. They have treated the route from Faro as part of the central route, so there could be a fully marked 1000km route which goes via Lisbon, Porto to Santiago up and running by next year at least.

The website is part of a new one for AEJ but it has a section for the Faro route, and gives some useful links to other sites for Portugal.

Bom Caminho

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back