• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Algemesi

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
I will start camino de Levante arriving Valencia 7 june. Does anyone know if/where you pic up the key to the albergue on a sunday? Is there alternatives hostals or hotel? In my guide there is no hostals/hotels and on the internet there is 2.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Roger,
I got my key from the Museu de la Festa, which is a museum dedicated to the folklore of the area. So if you arrive during hours that it's open, that's the easiest, because the museum is right across the street from the albergue.

I know that the police also have keys to the albergue. I know this because when I was in the albergue, all alone and fast asleep, sometime after midnight, another pilgrim entered. He had gotten the keys from the police, who had told him no one else was in the albergue, so we were both a bit surprised, to say the least. I let out a half-asleep shriek of some sort, which scared him out of his wits. He was a Bulgarian cyclist whose bike had broken down numerous times on the way out of Valencia but he just kept on going till he got to Algemesí. So that´s a long way of saying that I am virtually certain you will be able to get the keys.

I don´t recall any private places in Algemesí, but the French guys I wound up walking with a few days later told me that they had gone 4 kms further on to the small city of Alzira, where there is a variety of accommodation, but no albergue.

I broke the Algemesí stage up with the first day only to Silla, then day two on to Algemesí. I always try to ease into this Camino routine, so that worked for me. I actually spent an extra night in Valencia, walked out to Silla, then took the train back to Valencia. I had the afternoon and evening to see more of that absolutely gorgeous city, then the next day took the train back to Silla and started on to Algemesí.

I was in a restaurant in the central square, and a big group ordered a paella, which I got to sample as well. Wow.

paella.jpg

Beware -- the first four days have nothing but asphalt. It is murderous on the feet. But such a wonderful camino, so it´s worth it!

I will really enjoy hearing about your adventures on the Levante. Buen camino, Laurie

I stayed in the Algemesi albergue in 2009. Keys from the folk museum opposite who really looked after me. It is an excellent albergue in a building which is also a school. Like Laurie I stopped in Silla. The stages I took are on my blog (November 2009).

Enjoy the planning!

Andy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for your info. I have no problems walking 38 km but like you saý Laurie doing it the first day isn´t the best start so it is probably better to take the first 2 days between Valencia and Algemesi. In my guide it says that you should phone ahead 48 hours in advance , sounds strange.

Roger

The 48 hours is offcourse about the albergue in Algemesi :)

When I walked, I was the only pilgrim who had been through for a couple of months. I think the ringing ahead is to ensure someone knows where the key is. I never had any worries with finding a place to stay each night.
The French guide has some extra accommodation information to the Spanish one but is less useful for route finding

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There was only one time I called 48 hours in advance, and it turned out to be the only time we had a problem! We walked from Chinchilla to La Gineta. That's about 33 kms. It was a Sunday. Our plan was to us they would expect us and that we should go to the albergue upon arrival.

Well, we went to the polideportivo and could find no one. We went to the police station and could find no one. There were several numbers posted on the door, but none of them were working. I don't know what happens if people need a police officer in La Gineta on a Sunday. There are several bars in town and we asked in all of them, but no one knew anything. There is no pension in town, so we were out of luck. After about two or three hours of walking around, we realized our only option was to take the train up to La Roda, the next town on the Camino, where there was a hostal. Lucky for us, there is a train about 6 pm, and in 12 minutes we were in La Roda.

If you arrive in La Gineta during the week, I assume you will find someone who can help you. But on the weekends -- good luck! Laurie

Thanks for info. I sent some questions to the Tourist office in Algemesi and here is the answer (good info for everyone passing Algemesi :
En Algemesí existe albergue de peregrinos del camino de Santiago, así como puede obtener la credencial de Peregrino en la Tourist Info Algemesí, que está enfrente albergue, junto con las llaves. La estancia es gratuita, y el horario del domingo es de 11 h a 14 h. en la C/Nou del Convent 71. Fuera de este horario se pueden recoger las llaves del albergue en la Policia Local (C/Sant Nicolau de Bari), pero en este caso ha de traer consigo la Credencial de Peregrino.
What they say is that you can get the key to the albergue on sundays 11-14 from the tourist info and on other times you can get it from the police and that you need to have a pilgrims credencial.

Roger

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back