• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All-ages walk

mosey marty

Time of past OR future Camino
I walked the Camino last September with my granddaughter, 22. I was 79. We had wonderful meetings and exchanges with peregrinos of all ages for 500 miles. I will be walking again this coming September, but she won't. I'll be alone or with a friend in his 70s. I'm looking for suggestions, since I won't have a Gen Z'er with me, on the best ways to meet, eat, and drink across the chronological spectrum rather than just being pigeonholed with only my own cohort.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Camino last September with my granddaughter, 22. I was 79. We had wonderful meetings and exchanges with peregrinos of all ages for 500 miles. I will be walking again this coming September, but she won't. I'll be alone or with a friend in his 70s. I'm looking for suggestions, since I won't have a Gen Z'er with me, on the best ways to meet, eat, and drink across the chronological spectrum rather than just being pigeonholed with only my own cohort.

I think it will come naturally when you will be on the Camino.
I found it always wonderful to see how different generations can mix on the Camino, of course not every conversation has to be deep and long. But at least on the Camino Francès you will not be alone for long if you prefer to have company.
When walking alone I got invited more than not by people to sit with them at a table during dinnertime.

Personally I am not a fan of the concept of " a Camino family " but if this is more in your character you will meet pilgrims who have your pace and daily mileage and with whom you will meet up in the evenings for social interaction.

Happy preparations!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't think you need to worry at all. In 2016 our Camino family ranged from 70 to 26, there were 6 of us, 2 in twenties, one in 40's, 2 in 50's and one at 70.
Next time around 58, 71, 26 and 22.
It wasnt planned , we met organically and just clicked.
When I took my husband and grandson in 2019 it was a bit different, as we mainly stayed in rooms, not albergues.

Learn how to use Whatsapp - if you don't know already! I had to learn how to use it last summer when the group of people walking the same stages as me started a whatsapp group, that did include people of all ages, to keep in touch and figure out where to stay and where to eat and meet up. I initially was on the outer circle of this group as I liked walking mostly alone - but as I rested and recovered from my horrible work year I started joining them more often for dinners and such. Somewhere along the way I knew they were using Whatsapp and I eventually just asked if I could be added to the group chat. Otherwise, I think it just happens naturally! The group had a lot of 20-30 somethings plus some 40-70 somethings! And eventually we were joined by some kids with their dad too.

Hi. I don't know if this will help but here goes. I am now 69 but walked the first of my four Caminos for my 60th birthday. I was due to walk with my son who had to pull out at the last minute due to work problems. I decided to go anyway. When I was nearing the end, he arranged to fly out and spend a week with me in Santiago and we booked a flight home together. When I met him on his arrival at the airport, I said to him "don't take this the wrong way but I am glad you didn't come". I explained that although I arrived in St Jean alone, I met up all along the way with wonderful people, of all ages many of whom I am still in touch with today. I felt that walking as a pair would have changed the dynamic. So don't worry you will be fine just go with the flow.
Buen Camino.
Vince

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe on Camino it is a little easier to break through those age-related pigeon holes. Just don't wait for others to make the first move. For example, rest stops provide a good opportunity to initiate some casual overtures, especially to other solo walkers, nothing too deep or meaningful or personal at this point. Just show interest in how their walk is going, are their feet okay, is their gear to their liking, what app are they using on their phone, where did they start from that day, how far they intend to walk. Just small chit chat. You will soon get a gauge of how amenable people are for further exchanges - many WILL be.

If you are staying in albergues, interactions with pilgrims of all ages will come easier and be more plentiful. But if you are staying in private accommodation it will be more incumbent on you to initiate overtures. Most solo walkers staying in private accommodation will likely be very amenable to an offer to join you, and others, for a meal. And it is at that point, often with the vino tinto flowing, that the deeper, meaningful exchanges that you enjoy can take place.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am getting a little older now, but when I started 10 years ago I was reasonably fleet-of-foot, such that I passed people frequently. Everyone got a 'Hola' from me, and sometimes a conversation. I would then run into them down the track in albergues and cafes and the ice was already broken. Try the same approach on those that may be passing by you as they walk. I found most people delighted to be greeted.

I liked to listen to what the youngsters were talking about to each other. Then I would laugh and ask questions. Many times I would see them down the line and they acted like I was their long lost friend! I was amazed at the sincere comradery. Just leave the judgement behind and remember being young when you hear their stories!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could dangle a conversation starter off the back of your pack that might draw a few words from the youth passing you. Be careful what you pick though; a rubber chicken might cause you to be stuck with the epithet Chicken Marty for a month.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.