• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All albergues to close for 15 days this winter?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw a report on TVE24 (Spanish news) about the bed bug problem on the Camino de Santiago. There was a representative for a Spanish pilgrim association (don't remember his name or more details... it went fast), and he was pulling for closing the albergues on the "Camino de Santiago" (Ivar:my guess camino frances) to close down at the same time so they could disinfect and get rid of the bed bugs once and for all.

The reporter then mentions that if they closed for 15 days that would probably be enough.... and that it would have to be in the "low, not-so-busy-season", some time this winter I would guess, so that it would affect as few pilgrims as possible.

It sounded like this was just a suggestion, and that they had not decided on anything, but I found it interesting since the Camino is not often mentioned on national news.

Maybe in a few hours the story will be available on http://www.rtve.es where they have tons of news video clips available.

Anyway, just thought I would pass this one...

Saludos,
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ivar, if they decide to do this & announce the days that the albergues will close, perhaps you should make this a "sticky" or place it on the homepage. That way, those who will be walking the Camino at that time will be able to see it & know that they'll have to budget extra for hostals or hotels instead of albergues.

I would suspect that if they were going to do this, they'd do it in around Christmas & New Years.

Kelly

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: Closing the Alberges only would not solve the problem!

If you close all albergues for a certain period at the same time the pilgrims would shift to the Hotels and hostales. Somewhere the have to sleep at last. And they will bring the chinces with their backpacks into these places and infect these. After the reopening of the albergues they will infect the albergues again. :evil:
Buen Camino
Jochen

I guess we would have to hope that the hotels are prepared to keep themselves bed-bug-clean during these 15 days. I hope they are also involved/educated in this "project" that they are thinking of doing.

Saludos,
Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I guess we would have to hope that the hotels are prepared to keep themselves bed-bug-clean during these 15 days. (Ivar)

May be, Ivar, but don't forget that most of these hotels are small, run by a family, who will continue cleaning rooms, laundry, baths, etc, in the same way than ever. Possibly they don't know about bugs, and if you ask them to do their best changing their way to work during these two weeks they will say, "we ALWAYS do our best".

Big hotels as the Alfonso IX in Sarria possibly will be able to do that, but not the most.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Having attended meetings of the Confederation of Amigos hospitaleros (which remind me more of World Wrestling Federation Cage Matches than anything else) I wait in wide-eyed wonder to see how anyone hopes to convince all these EXTREMELY opinionated people to do ANYTHING in a coordinated manner. Good luck and God bless!

(I know it sounds harsh, but I speak from experience.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back