• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All-encompassing Camino book

Dawn Gibson

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago from SJPDP 2018
Hello from a very cold England.

Does anyone know of any books that include all the Caminos please? This would be a gift for a friend who will never walk a Camino due to illness, but whose interest in them I have sparked. I would very much like to buy him a book which gives him a general sense of all the Camino de Santiago 's. Ideally with lots of photos.

I have lent him my many autobiographies from fellow-pilgrims but these are not the books I want to buy him.

A tall order, I know, but thought if anyone would know it would be here!

Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is a great resource.

The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago – The Complete Cultural Handbook by Linda Kay Davidson and David M. Gitlitz.

It is neither a day to day guide book nor about all caminos but it is very useful as it provides all encompassing coverage of the Camino Frances for anyone interested in the art, architecture, geology, history, folklore, saint’s lives, flora and fauna of that camino.

It is available on Amazon in both paperback and as an ebook.

The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago – The Complete Cultural Handbook by Linda Kay Davidson and David M. Gitlitz.

It is neither a day to day guide book nor about all caminos but it is very useful as it provides all encompassing coverage of the Camino Frances for anyone interested in the art, architecture, geology, history, folklore, saint’s lives, flora and fauna of that camino.

Just had a quick look, sounds great. Thanks very much 🙂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a kind of "coffee table" book which may be the kind of book you are after: Derry Brabbs: The Roads to Santiago: The Medieval Pilgrim Routes Through France And Spain To Santiago De Compostela.

However, two remarks: Despite the title, this book covers the Camino Frances only in Spain as well as a number of routes in France that have well-known labels. This is because for a long time, Camino to Santiago or Going to Saint James in Galicia was more or less synonymous with what we know as Camino Francés. This book has excellent photos and text. Secondly, the book is apparently only available as a "used book". I avoid buying used books but have done so when there was no other way and I really wanted the book. I have been pleasantly surprised when they were in an as excellent state as the seller had described it. See also Brabbs' website for his other books on European pilgrimage - his "pilgrimage trilogy": Books.jpg

PS: For used books, obviously, avoid the fantasy prices of some of these sellers.
PPS: There are different editions. Mine is the larger one, 30 cm by by 25 cm.

Last edited:
I have a kind of "coffee table" book which may be the kind of book you are after: Derry Brabbs: The Roads to Santiago: The Medieval Pilgrim Routes Through France And Spain To Santiago De Compostela.

However, two remarks: Despite the title, this book covers the Camino Frances only in Spain as well as a number of routes in France that have well-known labels. This is because for a long time, Camino to Santiago or Going to Saint James in Galicia was more or less synonymous with what we know as Camino Francés. This book has excellent photos and text. Secondly, the book is apparently only available as a "used book". I avoid buying used books but have done so when there was no other way and I really wanted the book. I have been pleasantly surprised when they were in an as excellent state as the seller had described it. See also Brabbs' website for his other books on European pilgrimage - his "pilgrimage trilogy": View attachment 138109

PS: For used books, obviously, avoid the fantasy prices of some of these sellers.
PPS: There are different editions. Mine is the larger one, 30 cm by by 25 cm.
Excellent information, thank you so much. I will start looking for it, it sounds great. ☺️

You might be interested in the book my wife and I wrote 'Walking the Caminos: a User's Guide'. (David & Debbie Mercer, Amazon.) It offers and overview of 16 of the main caminos including details of each route with recommended stages, the conditions you might expect at various times of year, how to get to the start of each camino, the main features of each camino and almost 200 photographs to give you an idea of the countryside you'll be walking through. It is available in both electronic and paperback copies. Walking The Caminos Front cover v1.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You might be interested in the book my wife and I wrote 'Walking the Caminos: a User's Guide'. (David & Debbie Mercer, Amazon.) It offers and overview of 16 of the main caminos including details of each route with recommended stages, the conditions you might expect at various times of year, how to get to the start of each camino, the main features of each camino and almost 200 photographs to give you an idea of the countryside you'll be walking through. It is available in both electronic and paperback copies. View attachment 138114
This is an "off-topic" reaction but I' LL ask anyway. I believe the picture on the cover is taken on the Camino Salvador. I wonder if I'm right

This is an "off-topic" reaction but I' LL ask anyway. I believe the picture on the cover is taken on the Camino Salvador. I wonder if I'm right
Yes, you're right. A beautiful day with marvellous views! I've attached some other photos that might bring back memories...

Attachments

• Camino de San Salvador.mp4
    36.4 MB
"I'm Off Then" by German comedian Hape Kekkerling. A very fun and moving book that got my wife and I to our first Camino in 2015. A very EZ read.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might be interested in the book my wife and I wrote 'Walking the Caminos: a User's Guide'. (David & Debbie Mercer, Amazon.) It offers and overview of 16 of the main caminos including details of each route with recommended stages, the conditions you might expect at various times of year, how to get to the start of each camino, the main features of each camino and almost 200 photographs to give you an idea of the countryside you'll be walking through. It is available in both electronic and paperback copies. View attachment 138114
Thanks David. I will have a look. 🙂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A book about all the Camino routes is what I believe the OP is asking about, not books solely about the Frances.
I would suggest buying a current copy of all the guidebooks on every route that is available. The silly, almost comedic books written by actors, comedians, professional writers etc are entertaining but are not a real representation of what walking the Camino, any of them is like.

Plans B, C, and D. Map's from Ivar's store.

Plans B, C, and D. Map's from Ivar's store.

Thank you.😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A book about all the Camino routes is what I believe the OP is asking about, not books solely about the Frances.
I would suggest buying a current copy of all the guidebooks on every route that is available. The silly, almost comedic books written by actors, comedians, professional writers etc are entertaining but are not a real representation of what walking the Camino, any of them is like.
Thank you 😊

This is a great book. I recommend it all the time. (See my most recent comment on another thread in this forum.) But it is by no means all-encompassing of all Caminos. It really only covers the Camino Frances (or what was described as the Camino Frances, more or less, last century, including the Camino Aragones). It doesn't cover any of the Caminos outside of Spain (Portugal, France, or farther away in Europe), nor does it cover the vast majority of Caminos in Spain (the Camino del Norte, the Camino Primitivo, the Camino Ingles, the Camino Sanabres, the Via de la Plata, the Camino Mozarabe, the Camino de Levant, the Ruta de la Lana, the Camino del Sureste, and so on and so on and so on are all not covered. I dearly wish there were a similar resource for these other Camino routes.

It is great as an in-depth look at the Camino Frances. It is terrible as a broad overview of the range of Camino routes available.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In addition to the above mentioned books, I have also enjoyed some laughs while reading "Travels with my donkey" by Tim Moore.
Thank you 😊
This is a great book. I recommend it all the time. (See my most recent comment on another thread in this forum.) But it is by no means all-encompassing of all Caminos. It really only covers the Camino Frances (or what was described as the Camino Frances, more or less, last century, including the Camino Aragones). It doesn't cover any of the Caminos outside of Spain (Portugal, France, or farther away in Europe), nor does it cover the vast majority of Caminos in Spain (the Camino del Norte, the Camino Primitivo, the Camino Ingles, the Camino Sanabres, the Via de la Plata, the Camino Mozarabe, the Camino de Levant, the Ruta de la Lana, the Camino del Sureste, and so on and so on and so on are all not covered. I dearly wish there were a similar resource for these other Camino routes.

It is great as an in-depth look at the Camino Frances. It is terrible as a broad overview of the range of Camino routes available.
Great info, thank you 😊

I'll attempt to be a bit more constructive than my last post on this thread. It's tough, though. There just aren't that many books that aren't focused on particular routes (that I've come across). I'm not aware of any that cover them all. But a couple of candidate gifts might be:

It's About Time: A call to the Camino de Santiago by Johnnie Walker (with a forward by Joyce Rupp and a conclusion by Martin Sheen). In this slim volute with lots of photos, Johnnie Walker shares stories from a wide variety of pilgrims, along with advice and encouragement for those considering walking a Camino.

Pilgrim Stories: on and off the road to Santiago by Nancy Louise Frey is an anthropologist's look at the Camino. It also includes photos and provides a great description and account of the pilgrim experience not particular to any one Camino route (if I remember correctly), although it was written at the end of the 90s when there were fewer routes being walked (she shows the Frances, Aragones, Norte, Portugues, and Via de la Plata, as well as the four principal routes in France in her map of Caminos).

Yes I recognize this pass , it’s the point where the flies finally relented and I was able to collapse to drink and eat. Etched firmly in my memory.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll attempt to be a bit more constructive than my last post on this thread. It's tough, though. There just aren't that many books that aren't focused on particular routes (that I've come across). I'm not aware of any that cover them all. But a couple of candidate gifts might be:

It's About Time: A call to the Camino de Santiago by Johnnie Walker (with a forward by Joyce Rupp and a conclusion by Martin Sheen). In this slim volute with lots of photos, Johnnie Walker shares stories from a wide variety of pilgrims, along with advice and encouragement for those considering walking a Camino.

Pilgrim Stories: on and off the road to Santiago by Nancy Louise Frey is an anthropologist's look at the Camino. It also includes photos and provides a great description and account of the pilgrim experience not particular to any one Camino route (if I remember correctly), although it was written at the end of the 90s when there were fewer routes being walked (she shows the Frances, Aragones, Norte, Portugues, and Via de la Plata, as well as the four principal routes in France in her map of Caminos).
Thanks 😊 This is good info 👍🏼 I have read the first one and agree. The second one sounds good also, I will look at that, too. Thank you for taking the time to tell me about them.

Which Caminos does your book cover?

Which Caminos does your book cover?
Hi Canche. Frances; del Norte, Olvidado, Ingles, Primitivo, San Salvador, Ruta Vadiniense, Portugues, de Madrid, de la Plata, del Sur, de Sant Jaume, de Levante, de la Luna, Mozarabe, Finisterre & Muxia. Have a look at some of the photos we took when on the Vadiniense....
View attachment Camino Vadiniense.mp4

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Canche. Frances; del Norte, Olvidado, Ingles, Primitivo, San Salvador, Ruta Vadiniense, Portugues, de Madrid, de la Plata, del Sur, de Sant Jaume, de Levante, de la Luna, Mozarabe, Finisterre & Muxia. Have a look at some of the photos we took when on the Vadiniense....
View attachment 138254
Wow! That’s quite a lot!

Hello from a very cold England.

Does anyone know of any books that include all the Caminos please? This would be a gift for a friend who will never walk a Camino due to illness, but whose interest in them I have sparked. I would very much like to buy him a book which gives him a general sense of all the Camino de Santiago 's. Ideally with lots of photos.

I have lent him my many autobiographies from fellow-pilgrims but these are not the books I want to buy him.

A tall order, I know, but thought if anyone would know it would be here!

Thanks.
He might enjoy our website - we haven't yet made it to Comopstela but we've walked most routes in Switzerland (Covid time), down through France and have started on the Norte (up to Santander). It has lots of photos and many, many, sites to 'clic' on for information.

Definitely the best history book.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.