• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ALL NEW Route into Ourense - avoid the poligono and walk in nature!

kptorrahk

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino del Norte/Primitivo/Finisterre 2005
People that have encountered me on the Camino have probably at some point got to know about my utter dislike for asphalt. As opposed to some puritans I like to adapt my camino if it means nicer paths in nature and less paved roads. With that mindset I looked ahead towards the stage from either Xunquiera de Ambia or Allariz to Ourense and I just couldn´t believe that Gronze offered only a stage describing the entrance into the city as ´the toll you have to pay when we get close to a city´. I was in no mind to pay that toll. If entering Santiago is such a pleasant experience, why can´t we enter Ourense in the same way?

No matter if you´re doing the Laza or Verin Variant, the route I offer you starts just after the point where the routes converge, several kilometers before the much dreaded San Cibrao poligono (business park). It avoids this horrible stretch completely and offers an entrance into Ourense that will not only be much more enjoyable but actually leave a lasting impression of your welcome to the city. Welcome to the ´Barbana variant´, named after the river we keep encountering on this stretch.

Be mindful that this route is 3,7km longer than the normal route, which isn´t nothing. If you´re pressed for time or you´d rather just get to Ourense, you may still walk the normal way. But you will miss a beautiful stretch of camino.

Our route starts 1,4km after Pereira, just after the tunnel under the railway track. At a crossroads we find a restaurant on the left called ´Bbikalla Park´. The normal route proceeds alongside the OU-0102 road, but we take a left turn just before the restaurant, Rua o Rego.
20221005_130553.jpg

We follow this countryside road for 1,5 km until we get to a T-split. Here we continue straight-left, over a small bridge, into the village of Venda Nova. As soon as we can, we turn right, skirting the side of the village on a narrow countryside road in between a stone wall and corn fields. The road ends in a tunnel under the railway, bringing us to the OU-320 road. We turn right. We encounter the village of Veredo (no facilities).

Unfortunately we have to follow this two-lane road for 700m, the last bit not having a side walk, so take caution. Once the road starts to take a right turn, just before a stone bridge, we take a left (the sign says Segueiros). Very quickly a dirt track appears on our right, taking us down alongside the Molino de Castroverde, an old mill, to the Barbana river.
20221005_132518.jpg

We leave the paved roads behind and follow the winding path with yellow-white markings through the forest (occasionally sign posted with PR-32910-OU). At one point we cross a local road but we keep going straight, initially following the river bank, but then increasingly moving away from it until we´re back on the OU-320. Luckily we only have to follow it several hundred meters until we take a left turn towards a sports complex (Ximnasio Municipal Ponte Noalla). When it is open we can simply traverse the grounds and leave on the other end. In case it is closed a dirt track on the right skirts the perimeter, also leaving you on the other side. The narrow road once again crosses the Rio Barbana and then crossing the infamous N-525 over the guard rails brings us into the village of Ponte Noalla.
20221005_132939.jpg

We follow the Camiño dos Campos up, keeping right, until we reach Rua Noalla de Abaixo, where we take a left. In between vinveyards and the N-525 the road takes us down to an underpass under the N-525. On the other end a surprisingly lovely valley awaits us. Directly after the tunnel we have the option to follow the road into the tiny hamlet of Noalla, or take a stone staired path down to the river. I opted for the latter. The path runs through the forest along the rocky river and crosses the river over a cement bridge. We now enter the hamlet of Veiga surrounded by vineyards.
20221005_135928.jpg

We skirt the farm towards the right and then keep the railway tracks on our right until a slightly elevated underpass appears on our right where we pass through. We take a left onto the Estrada da Veiga. We follow this dirt track up the hill, moving away from the railway amongst forest and low trees. The path takes a right turn and then comes to a split where we take a left. We follow the now sandy track to another double split where we need to pay attention. At the fourway split we keep right and at the next split we take a left onto an even smaller path called Camiño do Gato (The Cat´s Trail); eventually it turns into a narrow trail in between a high fence and a wall leading towards the Rua Santa Agueda (NOTE: at the time of my passing here works were going on on the highspeed trainline but the road itself is still accessible). We follow this road right along the railway to the OU-105 where we take a left under the railway towards Seixalbo.
20221005_141459.jpg 20221005_141753.jpg

At this point we rejoin the official camino but bear with me because the alternative road doesn´t stop here. We follow the camino signs into Seixalbo (a range of picturesque bars). At the cross however we turn left onto Rua Nova following it to the end. Here we turn right onto the Camiño do Golfo (The Dishonest Road), which starts out as a paved/cemented road amongst houses but further down abruptly transforms into a narrow rocky path, then sandy path down the slope, allowing us our first panorama of Ourense. Just meters before we return to a paved road, we turn left, continuing to follow a sandy track, skirting and then crossing the Rio Barbana once again. It is here we turn right onto the Rua Presa. Among orchards and vineyards we reach a bridge. We keep left now following a pleasant footpath right alongside the river. At the end we cross the busy OU-0517.
20221005_151343.jpg20221005_151942.jpg

Our final stretch has started! This consists of a riverside park that follows the course of the Rio Barbana as it skirts the city on its left side. We can either walk on the left or right bank and switch several times using bridges and walkways. We will meet locals running, strolling or cycling and all the time the pleasant sound of the stream accompanies us. After several kilometers we get to a split where a coalstained bridge faces us and a white house on our left. It is here that we take leave of the river and follow the coalstained bridge (OU-540) up into the city on the Rua Ponte Codesal, eventually joining the OU-540. We keep walking up until we reach the busy Rua do Progreso. Here we take a left but very soon, at the petrol station, we take the high walled street on its right. Following this road straight we eventually reach the Praza Maior, the end of our stage!
20221005_155649.jpg

Here is the broad outline on google maps, but beware that some of the offroad tracks aren´t visible because maps doesn´t recognise them: https://goo.gl/maps/F5a3wkEs51Az6Vfx7

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
People that have encountered me on the Camino have probably at some point got to know about my utter dislike for asphalt. As opposed to some puritans I like to adapt my camino if it means nicer paths in nature and less paved roads. With that mindset I looked ahead towards the stage from either Xunquiera de Ambia or Allariz to Ourense and I just couldn´t believe that Gronze offered only a stage describing the entrance into the city as ´the toll you have to pay when we get close to a city´. I was in no mind to pay that toll. If entering Santiago is such a pleasant experience, why can´t we enter Ourense in the same way?

No matter if you´re doing the Laza or Verin Variant, the route I offer you starts just after the point where the routes converge, several kilometers before the much dreaded San Cibrao poligono (business park). It avoids this horrible stretch completely and offers an entrance into Ourense that will not only be much more enjoyable but actually leave a lasting impression of your welcome to the city. Welcome to the ´Barbana variant´, named after the river we keep encountering on this stretch.

Be mindful that this route is 3,7km longer than the normal route, which isn´t nothing. If you´re pressed for time or you´d rather just get to Ourense, you may still walk the normal way. But you will miss a beautiful stretch of camino.

Our route starts 1,4km after Pereira, just after the tunnel under the railway track. At a crossroads we find a restaurant on the left called ´Bbikalla Park´. The normal route proceeds alongside the OU-0102 road, but we take a left turn just before the restaurant, Rua o Rego.
View attachment 135391

We follow this countryside road for 1,5 km until we get to a T-split. Here we continue straight-left, over a small bridge, into the village of Venda Nova. As soon as we can, we turn right, skirting the side of the village on a narrow countryside road in between a stone wall and corn fields. The road ends in a tunnel under the railway, bringing us to the OU-320 road. We turn right. We encounter the village of Veredo (no facilities).

Unfortunately we have to follow this two-lane road for 700m, the last bit not having a side walk, so take caution. Once the road starts to take a right turn, just before a stone bridge, we take a left (the sign says Segueiros). Very quickly a dirt track appears on our right, taking us down alongside the Molino de Castroverde, an old mill, to the Barbana river.
View attachment 135392

We leave the paved roads behind and follow the winding path with yellow-white markings through the forest (occasionally sign posted with PR-32910-OU). At one point we cross a local road but we keep going straight, initially following the river bank, but then increasingly moving away from it until we´re back on the OU-320. Luckily we only have to follow it several hundred meters until we take a left turn towards a sports complex (Ximnasio Municipal Ponte Noalla). When it is open we can simply traverse the grounds and leave on the other end. In case it is closed a dirt track on the right skirts the perimeter, also leaving you on the other side. The narrow road once again crosses the Rio Barbana and then crossing the infamous N-525 over the guard rails brings us into the village of Ponte Noalla.
View attachment 135393

We follow the Camiño dos Campos up, keeping right, until we reach Rua Noalla de Abaixo, where we take a left. In between vinveyards and the N-525 the road takes us down to an underpass under the N-525. On the other end a surprisingly lovely valley awaits us. Directly after the tunnel we have the option to follow the road into the tiny hamlet of Noalla, or take a stone staired path down to the river. I opted for the latter. The path runs through the forest along the rocky river and crosses the river over a cement bridge. We now enter the hamlet of Veiga surrounded by vineyards.
View attachment 135398

We skirt the farm towards the right and then keep the railway tracks on our right until a slightly elevated underpass appears on our right where we pass through. We take a left onto the Estrada da Veiga. We follow this dirt track up the hill, moving away from the railway amongst forest and low trees. The path takes a right turn and then comes to a split where we take a left. We follow the now sandy track to another double split where we need to pay attention. At the fourway split we keep right and at the next split we take a left onto an even smaller path called Camiño do Gato (The Cat´s Trail); eventually it turns into a narrow trail in between a high fence and a wall leading towards the Rua Santa Agueda (NOTE: at the time of my passing here works were going on on the highspeed trainline but the road itself is still accessible). We follow this road right along the railway to the OU-105 where we take a left under the railway towards Seixalbo.
View attachment 135399 View attachment 135400

At this point we rejoin the official camino but bear with me because the alternative road doesn´t stop here. We follow the camino signs into Seixalbo (a range of picturesque bars). At the cross however we turn left onto Rua Nova following it to the end. Here we turn right onto the Camiño do Golfo (The Dishonest Road), which starts out as a paved/cemented road amongst houses but further down abruptly transforms into a narrow rocky path, then sandy path down the slope, allowing us our first panorama of Ourense. Just meters before we return to a paved road, we turn left, continuing to follow a sandy track, skirting and then crossing the Rio Barbana once again. It is here we turn right onto the Rua Presa. Among orchards and vineyards we reach a bridge. We keep left now following a pleasant footpath right alongside the river. At the end we cross the busy OU-0517.
View attachment 135403View attachment 135404

Our final stretch has started! This consists of a riverside park that follows the course of the Rio Barbana as it skirts the city on its left side. We can either walk on the left or right bank and switch several times using bridges and walkways. We will meet locals running, strolling or cycling and all the time the pleasant sound of the stream accompanies us. After several kilometers we get to a split where a coalstained bridge faces us and a white house on our left. It is here that we take leave of the river and follow the coalstained bridge (OU-540) up into the city on the Rua Ponte Codesal, eventually joining the OU-540. We keep walking up until we reach the busy Rua do Progreso. Here we take a left but very soon, at the petrol station, we take the high walled street on its right. Following this road straight we eventually reach the Praza Maior, the end of our stage!
View attachment 135405
Is it waymarked?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you, that must have taken a fair amount of sleuthing.

Years ago, a bunch of us found that the river route into Ourense was a much more pleasant path. The proposed alternate route includes that.

I have not done the entire route @kptorrahk has mapped out but I can highly recommend the last part — if you stay on the Sanabrés, when you get to the Peugot building (about a km after the village of Seixalbo), turn left (camino points straight) and get on the river route all the way into As Burgas. It is simple and impossible to get lost! I have never walked into Ourense on any other route, so I can’t compare, but I do know many have described a very unpleasant industrial part on the way in.

This might be a fair compromise for those who hate asphalt but who don’t want to add 3.7 km to the day. This river route adds very little, as you stay on the official camino all the way to the Peugot building.

Thank you, that must have taken a fair amount of sleuthing.

Years ago, a bunch of us found that the river route into Ourense was a much more pleasant path. The proposed alternate route includes that.

I have not done the entire route @kptorrahk has mapped out but I can highly recommend the last part — if you stay on the Sanabrés, when you get to the Peugot building (about a km after the village of Seixalbo), turn left (camino points straight) and get on the river route all the way into As Burgas. It is simple and impossible to get lost! I have never walked into Ourense on any other route, so I can’t compare, but I do know many have described a very unpleasant industrial part on the way in.

This might be a fair compromise for those who hate asphalt but who don’t want to add 3.7 km to the day. This river route adds very little, as you stay on the official camino all the way to the Peugot building.
Yeah it took me a couple of hours to figure it all out, and even then I got lucky that what I saw on google maps indeed proved to be true. But it was so worth it! And of course silence reigns because you don´t encounter anyone :)

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back