• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All of a sudden no motivation to start the camino

SherlyC

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Sep, 2018
CP May, 2019
Hi everyone!
I'd like to ask this question to pilgrims who have already done a camino.

Since the beginning of this year I had blocked two weeks of my calendar to do a 2 week camino this summer during July. The blocked date starts already next week but I have zero motivation and still haven't event decided even on the route. I live in Switzerland, so I thought worst case I'll just start walking from my home towards France. But I don't know why I'm so unmotivated. I'm scared of the heat, and the knee pain and the loneliness that I'll confront, because the Swiss route is not like the Camino Frances that I did last year. I'm afraid that I might just quit in the middle and take the train back home.

Have you ever had this kind of unmotivated feeling last minute before the camino? What did you do?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone!

Since the beginning of this year I had blocked two weeks of my calendar to do a 2 week camino this summer during July. The blocked date starts already next week but I have zero motivation and still haven't event decided even on the route. I live in Switzerland, so I thought worst case I'll just start walking from my home towards France. But I don't know why I'm so unmotivated. I'm scared of the heat, and the knee pain and the loneliness that I'll confront, because the Swiss route is not like the Camino Frances that I did last year. I'm afraid that I might just quit in the middle and take the train back home.

Have you ever had this kind of unmotivated feeling last minute before the camino? What did you do?
If starting from your home seems to be unexciting for you,maybe you could go to Arles or LePuy,and walk on this Camino for several weeks. Perhaps this will when your appetite and make you come back for more. You have already done the Frances,so maybe you feel that walking would just be a re-do of something that you have already done. My humble advice to you is to fly to Oviedo and walk the Primitivo,which will be a whole new experience! Whatever you decide,be easy on yourself,and whatever you decide, Buen Camino,or not,which is just as good!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hmm. Many pilgrims and many more aspiring pilgrims have reported similar feelings. Is it fear of the unknown or worse, fear of the known? Camino can confront us in interesting ways. You've blocked out two weeks, Just about enough time to walk to Santiago from Oviedo or Leon or more comfortably from somewhere a little closer. You'll need to look at why you want to repeat the camino experience. As @falcon269 says it is an optional activity for most of us. You have two weeks holiday, take a holiday; you have two weeks to make pilgrimage to Santiago, do that.

A gateway to higher level personal truth is often through physical endeavor and/or overcoming one's fear(s).

I believe you should walk exactly because you are "... scared of the heat, and the knee pain and the loneliness that [you'll] confront ..." So, I encourage you (respectfully) to walk! Walk confidently! Walk boldly, with humility, and without reservation !

You were called to walk "... since the beginning of this year ..." for a reason !!

Good Way, my friend !

Last edited:
A gateway to higher level personal truth is often through physical endeavor and/or overcoming one's fear(s).

I believe you should walk exactly because you are "... scared of the heat, and the knee pain and the loneliness that [you'll] confront ..." So, I encourage you (respectfully) to walk! Walk confidently! Walk boldly, with humility, and without out reservation !

Yes, I think you're right.
(staring at my empty 40L backpack that's lying on the floor in a droopy shape)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A walk in your home region, suffering from heat, pain, and loneliness... yep, you're really selling it! 😂

Seriously, it's no wonder you're lacking motivation. Luckily Switzerland isn't too far away from the busier camino paths. Why not head to Irun and spend a couple of weeks enjoying the ocean, the lovely cities of the Basque country, and the company of other Nortegrinos? You might be relieved to know it's cooler on the northern coast than inland (just checked, and it's 26 degrees maximum in Bilbao this week, as opposed to 38 in Pamplona!)

And if you're not enjoying it, you can indeed catch a train home after a few days. There are no 'shoulds' here, you're on holiday for 2 weeks, and the world's your oyster. And taking about oysters... the Norte has some really great seafood... :cool:

Get to somewhere, anywhere will do - and begin.
The first steps are often the hardest.

We never grow if we don't stretch...but it's not comfortable. So if you're not jumping for joy right now, that's pretty normal.

Do a camino that takes you to new places inside and out, but not so far over the edge of your comfort zone that it's a joyless slog.

The Primativo would be a nice choice. Or the Invierno.
There are lots of options, and all are good.
Just go.
And trust.
And see what happens.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have had the same thing happen to me just this summer. Initially planned on walking a Camino back in late May but a couple of commitments at home stalled that. I really had an initial very motivated surge to walk it then, and now that has passed the motivation diminished and I have made a few half hearted jabs at planning another one, but my heart's just not in it. I have no idea why. The great thing is it is not going anywhere.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, and not just with the Camino. Sometimes familiarity breeds a feeling that you've been there and got the Tee so what if it's not the same, not as good, not as whatever it might be and you focus on the reasons not to. You'll never know until you go and maybe your Camino has already begun and your about to receive another lesson. Procrastination is the thief of time so just go for it, what have you got to lose. I'd go for Portuguese from Porto and stay on the coastal route and hope for a summer breeze, cue the music 🤠🎵

Last edited:
Read this post and thought well I am not alone. After 500miles of training planning booking flights to Porto I find that my own motivation has disappered up its own gazunda. Now this could be an effect on the chronic insomnia I am undergoing or an an effect of over planning. Now I am either too stubborn or stupid so I will take that booked flight in September if after 3-4 days I still feel the same I will return to Porto and just enjoy an easy going holiday however knowing how how Thran I can be I still hope to see Santiago at the end.

The camino is not going anywhere, and will be there when you long for it again. I did not enjoy my last camino. And I seemed to get little or no benefit from it. But I am eagerly planning to go again. Because it is a pilgrimage. Because I was bountifully blessed on my first two caminos, and because it is my retreat time, when I hope to move towards spiritual progress. And the clock is ticking in the back of my mind somewhere: maybe another five or ten caminos, if I am lucky. There is nothing like aging, and the threat of frailty, for bringing "memento mori" to the front of mind. My time in this world is short. So I must get moving on my journey. For me, walking the caminos is currently the best way to do so. If you are younger, if you have other interests, perhaps you feel no urgency for doing so again. Maybe you would enjoy something more relaxing in your holiday time. If that is where you are, you have no obligation to pretend. You will go again when (if) you are ready.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Le Puy is close to home, you'd be on the Aubrac within days ... a very pleasnt stroll.

I get a wave of ennui before some travels. It usually passes once I get going.

The camino is not going anywhere, and will be there when you long for it again. I did not enjoy my last camino. And I seemed to get little or no benefit from it. But I am eagerly planning to go again. Because it is a pilgrimage. Because I was bountifully blessed on my first two caminos, and because it is my retreat time, when I hope to move towards spiritual progress. And the clock is ticking in the back of my mind somewhere: maybe another five or ten caminos, if I am lucky. There is nothing like aging, and the threat of frailty, for bringing "memento mori" to the front of mind. My time in this world is short. So I must get moving on my journey. For me, walking the caminos is currently the best way to do so. If you are younger, if you have other interests, perhaps you feel no urgency for doing so again. Maybe you would enjoy something more relaxing in your holiday time. If that is where you are, you have no obligation to pretend. You will go again when (if) you are ready.
Beautifully & truthfully spoken @Albertagirl. And @VNwalking.

I'm just home from my latest walk (Via Francigena). Although difficult & it will never be my favourite path (still 'processing'...) I wouldn't swap the experience for anything, especially knowing how lucky I am to have had the opportunity. And even with the total exhaustion still fresh in my mind, I'm already my planning my next walk.
@SherlyC my 5cents worth is; get on the plane, train, whatever & go. Go somewhere, anywhere, but go & walk. Other contributors have said the paths will always be there.. & they're right, they will be, but we don't know what's around the corner. Now is all we have for certain. Go while you can.
Sempre avanti.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks everyone. I‘m surprised that many of you are recommending primitivo. Why? Because the temperature is cooler there? I read that it is the most challenging camino of all? Why oh why? 😭
The primitive is a wonderful walk,and the walk through asturia,is like going into the middle ages with the stone houses and small villages. The way is not so hard as I will be 75 in August,walked it in 2017 and had no problems. I cannot imagine a Swiss person having much trouble. Bueno Camino.

I did not enjoy my last camino. And I seemed to get little or no benefit from it. But I
Boy, was I reassured to read that. I felt the same way after I finished a camino in June. I was thinking I was a contrary curmudgeon whose spiritual mojo had been erased. But I think I have just had enough, at least for the time being, and in particular in Spain. Maybe somewhere in Italy next year, but I'll just wait to see how I feel.
Thanks Bert!

Hi everyone!

You need some alone time to just get a handle on your feelings - what is really going on. If it is fear; then I am positive you know how to handle that kind of thing. Frank Herbert in his Dune series had a quote that I have always appreciated, "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."

If it is something else going on, then it is better to just understand what it really is. This will enable you to more easily make the best choice for you.

In my own self, I have tracked this hunger for the Camino for many years. As I have gotten older, my health has begun to fail, my knees are presently incapable of walking more than a mile or two. While these troubles have arisen I have begun to doubt myself. "Am I capable of walking again?" "What will I do if...a thousand different little concerns and or fears."

My choice is get up in the morning and take my first step. I will stop when I need to stop and then look at my options. I continue to put off double knee replacement and I deal with my issues as best I can.

Sherly, you are not alone. Everyone that reads your post is hoping good things for you. When you are ready, just take the first step onto your path.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Boy, was I reassured to read that. I felt the same way after I finished a camino in June. I was thinking I was a contrary curmudgeon whose spiritual mojo had been erased. But I think I have just had enough, at least for the time being, and in particular in Spain. Maybe somewhere in Italy next year, but I'll just wait to see how I feel.
Thanks Bert!
Yep...it's a difficult concept grasping not enjoying something we normally love & have willingly chosen to do. Also admitting we didn't enjoy it can illicit feelings of guilt.
As a whole, I didn't enjoy the VF & feel I've come back a 'harder' person...BUT there were parts I did enjoy, parts I loved & experiences I had I'll treasure...& that's what matters.
Every walk gives us something...even if that 'something' is just a hint that maybe we need a break. I'll be back for another dose on another trail next year. Where the VF settles for me..only time will tell. I hope for @Karl Oz, @Albertagirl & others, that over time you will see your walk had value even if not where/how you expected.
Best wishes to all.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

O yes, I recognize this feeling:

- when coming home after a long day and still having to cook dinner
- when having to clean the living room after postponing it for 2 weeks
- when having to go to work on Monday morning
- when still having to put up that shelf in the guest room
- when urgently having to wash the car
- when having to go to a birthday party and all I want to do is stay at home and watch tv.

Most of the time I feel OK when I just start doing it and I might even like it. Enjoying that lovely diner, meeting nice people on that party, seeing me colleagues again, sitting in a cleaned up living room, .....

Turns out that most of the time the reluctance to start at something was the worst bit for me. But I do realise it’s easy for me to say. I’ve never had this feeling with a planned Camino.

So, if you’re in need of some encouragement, here is some:
Go take a walk!

Thanks everyone. I‘m surprised that many of you are recommending primitivo. Why? Because the temperature is cooler there? I read that it is the most challenging camino of all? Why oh why? 😭
If you're 'not motivated' and it's that bad, don't go.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had blocked two weeks of my calendar to do a 2 week camino this summer during July.

I loved reading so many of the responses to your post. They inspire me - I’m just itching to get back.
Coming from so far I have to make a commitment in terms of paying airfare well in advance - that is motivating in itself. I then know where I’m going !
Think about booking a flight to either Biarritz or Oviedo and then youll know what to pack etc and I’m sure your mojo will return.
Good luck either way
Buen camino
Annie

Frank Herbert in his Dune series had a quote that I have always appreciated, "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."

When I first read that, decades ago, it resounded in me and I have never forgotten it. I tend to leave that first small sentence out; I prefer to recognise Fear for what it is (rather than tell myself I mustn’t fear).

In moments of heart-stopping fear, it has brought me to consciousness.
It cuts through the paralysis.
It’s a powerful mantra ... and what a gift he left for those of us fortunate enough to have found it.

Thank you @MichaelB10398 for posting it.

What I read from pilgrims having walked the Primitivo it's a beautiful one, very worthwile.
If it's too demanding, you could choose the Camino Portugues. From Porto to Santiago in two weeks is very doable.

By the way: sind Sie ein Deutsch sprachiger Schweitzer?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone!

Just go. Porto is a great place to start. Take a few hours or more to look around . The old Se bento railway station there with its beautiful tiles is a must see. Walk along the river to Matosinhos, overnight there then get going. Portugal has many route choices so you can choose and change course as you wish. We walked in May this year, if you want details of where we stayed message me.

Hi SherlyC
Just try and lower all the mental barriers you've put up by making good choices and strategies. Then shrug your shoulders and get started. Some pick 'n' mix ideas:
Pick a route with some people on it.
Maybe walk by the sea, which will moderate the heat (and might be exhilarating for a resident of Switzerland!)
Protect those knees by wearing shoes with cushioned soles - and if it's too late for that, at least have some gel inserts. And take poles.
Budget sufficiently for frequent stops and places with pricier options (if you can afford it) - then there's no pressure to cover many kms each day.
Have an open-ended finish point, then just travel in that direction and - no pressure!

My recommendation: the Norte, starting from Bilbao. Get there, have a look around and when you're ready head out along the coast towards Santander. There's a good bus service (and often the Feve railway) running alongside, so you can take that option whenever you feel the need.
Cheers, tom

I agree with falcon. I'd wait until the motivation hits again.
I'm personally in a year of non-motivation myself - but expect my love for the Camino to return at some point.
I am back on this forum, which speaks volumes . . .
But to walk when you just "aren't into it" could make for a negative experience, so I'm not willing to chance it.
As falcon says, the Camino will still be here when your motivation returns.
Whatever you decide, good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone!

I feel this way before any major trip. Just take the first step and let it take care of itself. Buen Camino.

Just finished the Portugese yesterday July 16th. Walked coastal part of the way and then Central. It is hot to me. I walked the central last year in May, it was much cooler. I walked alone last May and with my Husband this time. I am glad I finished. I was in worst physical shape this time as I had broke my ankle last July and have a plate and some bolts in it and did not train. I guess it depends on why you want to walk. That is always the answer, I think, maybe. I hope you enjoy your 2 weeks off no matter what you choose.

Fully agree with the above sentiments. Try to take the pressure off yourself. I walked the first time and just made a commitment to myself to walk for a week. If I didn't like it I told myself that's fine you can always fly home. Whatever you decide that's fine.

Hi SherylC:

Maybe everyone is recommending Primitivo, because you need the challenge.

Talking about challenges, you mentioned your knee pain; well, I do have mine and is called: Parkinson’s. I walked CF last year and planning my next one for 2021. Some say I’m crazy, No; it’s determination.

Do you want a motive, do it for those who for what ever reason are not able to walk Camino. Choose a cause and walk for it.

Search within your heart and you will find a motive to walk Camino. I’ll give you one route: what about the Santiago-Fisterra-Muxía circuit?

Whichever you choose, I wish a Buen Camino.

I totally agree. For me, there are less years ahead than there are behind. Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
At the beginning of the year, when you blocked that 2 weeks for a Camino, was it an impulsive decision or something you gave considerable thought to. If your head was in a good place when you made the decision, I’d suggest you stick with it. Trust that the decision was made with a sound mind and not influenced by the second guessing you are now experiencing.

You know from your own personal history if you sometimes get a little anxious before certain types of events, commitments, meetings, parties, trips etc… If you have a history of this pre-event anxiety, then this is probably just another example of it. Push through the fear, anxiety, uncertainty and prove to yourself again that you won’t let these feelings (that everyone has to some degree) limit your life experiences.

I like Elle’s advice about having a few options to fall back on if you start your Camino and after a few days you are still having misgivings about it. Planning these options out ahead of time may help to reduce your stress now and even more so when walking if you need to deploy Plan B, C or D.

If you have a pattern of making impulsive decisions where you do not take everything into account perhaps reconsidering your decision is a good thing as long as you can clearly identify the negatives of going through with the trip now.

If your decision was well considered back in January but now some significant things have changed in your life that are more important to deal with now; then that’s what you need to do. Just make sure you are giving yourself an honest assessment and not a false pretense to bail out due to last minute jitters.

Once on the Camino be aware of any expectations you are carrying along in the back of you mind. I saw a quote recently and it may have been on this forum that went like this. “Expectations are planned disappointments”. Broad statements like this are easy to pick apart if that is the goal, proving it wrong. But there is a lot of wisdom and truth here if you consider it in the narrower way it was intended. This Camino will be different from your first one even if you walk the same path at the same time of year in the same weather and stay at the same Albergues. Try to be open to every experience you encounter and travel with no expectations. We can’t always control what happens along the path but we can control how we react to it…positively, negatively or indifferent. Getting caught up and consumed with thoughts about unfairness, poor behavior by others, bad weather, bad facilities are your choice. Recognize these thoughts, acknowledge them, and let them go. Ultimately the joy or misery of your Camino mostly happens in that space between your ears.

Hi Sheryl,
What an honest post to put on the forum. I applaud you for that. Obviously, this is weighing heavy on your heart. If your scheduled holiday for two weeks starts next week and you are still in your lack of motivation mood, that perhaps could very well be the answer that yes, you should postpone a Camino until you are "feeling it." Like Falcon and others have said, it is a constant, it will be there. Don't go in with a wrong attitude and end up miserable. No.... really look in your heart, now.....right now.... what do you want? Follow that answer. I wish happiness and comfort and all the best of a complete satisfaction with whatever you decide! See you on the path someday!
Rosemary

"...I might quit and just take the train back home." Would that be so bad? At least you would have started, no disgrace in coming home if it doesn't suit you. Give it a go.
Ultreïa!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sounds to me like you don't want to do it and rather than decide that yourself and just not doing it you are looking for someone else to tell you that it is ok not to do it.

Right, SherleyC, I can do that for you - It is ok not to do it - do something else - all is well ;)

Hello Cheryl, I.cannot believe how much time and energy has been spent on this post. If you do not want to walk a camino-do not. I think we start thinking that everyone is out walking the Camino. Actually,250000 is a small fraction of the world population of 7.5 billion. I walked the Wonderland Trail around My. Rainer, and got to thinking everyone must be doing it, and got home and got a picture that mentioned that I was one in a million,as only 300 Americans had walked it that year. This put it in perspective for me. Only one in a hundred people that I mention the Camino to,have ever heard of it. Find out what makes you happy,and do that!

Knee pain?? How serious is your injury? If the knee injury could get worse from extensive walking or, If it is something that will heal with more time, then maybe delay your trip?

Many folks have done the CF many times...if you are concerned about the lack of companionship and looking for community as you hike,then why not consider walking part Of the CF again!?

It is quite hot in July, also think about going at a cooler time,if possible.

Give yourself permission to let go of initial plans...

We were planning to walk in spain in September but changed our mind with the heat levels. We are opting to walk in Austria instead....We are always on a pilgrimage and bring the Holy Spirit whereever we step. Every step is sacred soil!

Last edited:
Well...my first thought was the Invierno. But the Primativo would be marginally cooler.
Besides. You said you're Swiss. So maybe we assume that mountains don't faze you...? ;)

I agree, The invierno is wonderful. I did it last year, and LOVE IT!!! 364 Km. Great views, great people, and still challenging.

Buen Camino,

Texas guy

Sometimes the motivation takes off TO the Camino before you do, so you have to get yourself to the start and go walking after her.
I promise you, she’s already there, and YOU WILL catch up. 😊

Hi everyone!

If the spirit is telling you no, follow it. Now is not the time. If there is one thing that is needed to make it an enjoyable trip is the motivation to go.

Hi everyone!

If you don’t like the idea of the heat of July ( I wouldn’t dream of walking it in July) perhaps consider another time of year like late September or in April/May. Might suit your temperament a bit better. My temperament is not suited to heat and I get explosive if I’m stressed AND hot....not a good travel companion, even with myself, under those circumstances. That is my physical self giving its opinion about how it best functions:
I think each of us has several aspects to our being and they sometimes conflict. If they are in accord, everything goes more smoothly.
Can a meeting be called inwardly between your physical self (basic needs), your soul self (what motivates/animates you), your spirit self (what calls you/inspires you?) and the heart of yourself (the harmonizing, unique you)? Let them each have their say about your Camino and see if you can sense the whole of your being come to a consensus which will fill you with new peace and new resolve.
This is called the Four Voices of Discernment method and is a valuable tool for coming to terms with oneself(ves).

Hi Sheryl..I agree with your second post regarding the wisdom, thoughtfulness and kindness of all those who shared posts/suggestions/advice.
There is no judgement; only good will and good intention. This is the spirit of the Camino and it has already begun for you...

Ultimately you will come to a decision and yes, there are many choices if you decide to step out. Researching which route to follow makes me really excited. I also live in Australia and so if I make a booking I definitely follow up by getting on that plane!

The Camino means different things for different people. The "solution" seems clear to me: you either want to go or you don't. Whatever you decide, buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just go. Porto is a great place to start. Take a few hours or more to look around . The old Se bento railway station there with its beautiful tiles is a must see. Walk along the river to Matosinhos, overnight there then get going. Portugal has many route choices so you can choose and change course as you wish. We walked in May this year, if you want details of where we stayed message me.
Not sure how to message you for accommodation list?

If the spirit is telling you no, follow it. Now is not the time. If there is one thing that is needed to make it an enjoyable trip is the motivation to go.
Not necessarily. It all depends on your intention for walking.

If you want an enjoyable holiday, it makes sense to do something else if you realize you don't want to go in the end.

But the camino is more than a holiday for most people, and probably you, too, @SherlyC . So beware of locking yourself in the prison of avoidance - because making a habit of avoiding unpleasant experience (be it ennui, or boredom, or plain old not liking) is immensely limiting. There's unpleasantness on the camino and in life. And lots of pleasant things too. Facing the unpleasant inner and outer experiences, and moving through them, is where resilience comes from.

And who knows? It could be a deep and wonderful journey with a slightly bumpy start. And you won't ever know unless you go.

So here's an update:
Just booked my flight to Porto! I leave in two days. All of your posts encouraged me to get moving.
Last minute flight was quite expensive, but I thought Porto route is better than the Geneva-Le Puy because there are many cafes on the way to take frequent breaks. And I saw the weather is cooler over there than in central France. I'm now excited and will get packing!
Thanks again everyone, and I'll do a post-camino review here :)
Hugs-

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good to know the decision has been made. I wish you a really great Camino Portuguese experience.

Hi everyone!

Cold feet (you wish in July)? Hiker’s remorse? After your life expanding first Camino, it’s normal but no longer novel. Last year I finished the second half of Portuguese, Porto To Santiago, from the previous year. Afterwards I flew to Geneva to meet one of my son’s and introduce him to four days on the Camino going West into France.

The first thing you do is tell all your friends and family you’re going because you won’t want to disappoint them.

You prepare for the hike like you would anything else. As a retired commercial pilot, I approach the task by preparing myself in a similar way as a flight....
- have the equipment I need,
- have essential redundant equipment,
- get weather reports and forecasts,
- prepare myself physically with the proper proportions of exercise and rest,
- bring along navigation and lists of accommodation resources,
- check to make sure I’m not too heavy for takeoff,
- adopt a plan differently if you are solo or have a copilot,
- adapt as your “flight” commences.

After a family event in England next month, I’m planning on starting out in Canterbury on the Via Francigena. I’ve already figured out train and Tube assets to get around England. I’ve checked out the ferry services for non-auto passengers from Dover to Calais. I’ve downloaded the route through France from various assets, backing them up with those stops loaded into MAPS.ME. I’ve also checked MAP.ME tools on finding accommodations along with the Francigena Website lists printed out, and Bookings.com accommodations. How far I hike will be based on weather a month from now and other family obligations, the luxury of being retired.

I’ve had plenty of consternation in the past - a five hour hot cab ride to the Taj Mahal, my first flight to Antarctica, the two hour cab ride to The Great Wall, landing on an aircraft carrier, the birth of my first child. It’s a non-toxic mixture of excitement, curiosity, fear of the unknown. If you never color outside the box, you’ll be stuck inside a small box forever.

Definitely tell everyone you're going to do it, after that there's no backing out!

Sheryl, by now you may have made your decision or maybe not. So many helpful posts above suggesting you are no alone with your procrastination. Many experience lack of motivation and/or fear before starting things , dealing with this in all sorts of ways.

Last year, we'd been in Andalucia for a few months, things had not gone to plan.... flu, husband in hospital, me with all sorts of leg muscle issues, walking companions for a planned Invierno had both cancelled last minute. I'd not walked a solo camino, though done the odd day alone. I treated the shin splints, etc and procrastinated right up until the day before I had to leave. The weather had been very wet for days, esp up north, so I was worried about this mountainous, isolated track, afraid of mud, afraid of dogs (after reports of attacks on the Invierno) , worried about my hurting 70+ yr old body and my sort of depressed spirit, about going alone. I could have taken the Frances and had instant company, but I had my heart set on the Invierno.
Deep down I knew I had to face my fears and resurrect this stay in Spain. I needed it for myself, body and spirit, before returning to Australia.

So I went north. In Ponferrada I squibbed out of starting for a couple of days. Some blue sky appeared, I pre walked the first few kms late one evening and this gave me the confidence to start the following day. From then on, checking out the start of the next day's stage became my confidence building norm. It really helped. At least I knew I wasn't going to get lost getting out of each town, and once on the way the momentum flowed.

AS NoHablo said, walking because of the fears, to overcome fears, can be so empowering.
Buen camino. Carole

Hi everyone!

Hi, the Camino is a difficult and complex thing. About a week int my 2018 Camino I had huge doubts about why I had flown 16000 kilometres to repeat it for the third time. I met some great people, didn’t have the option of bailing out, and once I settled in, it was very clear why I was there. After a turbulent year, this was my therapy. I’m now working on 2020. Could be Francés again, or I fancy the Camino Portugues. I have doubts now. There must be easier holidays to take, but the Camino is not just a holiday. I’ll be there, probably doubting myself, and finally loving every minute of it. Just sort out the finer details and go. Life is too short for doubt. All the best.

@SherlyC , kia ora and how was your journey. 🙂
Hi!
I did go on the camino and enjoyed it very much. I completed the Camino Portiguese on the coast. However i realized i am starting to feel like this, not wanting to carry out things just before it‘s time to do it. Same with vacation. I don‘t know if i‘m getting lazy or just getting too comfortable at home. I‘m always finding excuses not to do things.
I think sometimes i need someone to just kick my butt !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back