• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD All public Albergues in Galicia (Xunta) closes

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
It was just reported by the President in Galicia that all public albergues in Galicia will be closing down for 14 days (for now). All Bars and restaurants will only be able to attend the public for take out service (no seating available).

More here:

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And whilst some hotels, pensions and the like MIGHT still be open (but nobody knows for how long!) please, if you are on pilgrimage at the moment, stop and travel home! Alsa, Renfe and EasyJet have all waived their fees for changing travel tickets. So, contact them and change your travel arrangements home to an earlier date. If you find yourself stranded in Santiago, contact me and I do my best to help.
BC SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And whilst some hotels, pensions and the like MIGHT still be open (but nobody knows for how long!) please, if you are on pilgrimage at the moment, stop and travel home! Alsa, Renfe and EasyJet have all waived their fees for changing travel tickets. So, contact them and change your travel arrangements home to an earlier date. If you find yourself stranded in Santiago, contact me and I do my best to help.
BC SY
Hi... I just arrived in Santiago from 14 days walking the portogues coastal. I had no problems till now. I am at an Airbnb until Monday. My return flight from Barcelona to San Francisco USA is not until April 6. I was hoping to walk the CF for 3 weeks... No more. Any ideas?, Recommendations? Mucho appreciated. Fred

Hi... I just arrived in Santiago from 14 days walking the portogues coastal. I had no problems till now. I am at an Airbnb until Monday. My return flight from Barcelona to San Francisco USA is not until April 6. I was hoping to walk the CF for 3 weeks... No more. Any ideas?, Recommendations? Mucho appreciated. Fred
I would strongly advise to rebook and head home asap! Just to be sure and safe.

I would do whatever they recommend you to do from your embassy in Madrid...

Also you can keep up on the latest new here:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My return flight from Barcelona to San Francisco USA is not until April 6.
Hi,
Catalunya has plans to close their borders, no in or out. This was in all newsfeeds last night. I think you have two choices. Rebook ASAP or find a place you can stay in fur the next 3-6 weeks. Everything is closing here in Galicia.....
Buen camino
MaryEllen

I would strongly advise to rebook and head home asap! Just to be sure and safe.
Thank you for you quick reply. I don't know if I agree with that... I will inquire into other options...personally I'm more afraid of getting food poisoning by some one not washing their hands in the kitchen... Just saying. I had absolutely no problems on the PC until I arrived in Santiago..maybe I should go back to small villages with less people? Less fear? Less news?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for you quick reply. I don't know if I agree with that... I will inquire into other options...personally I'm more afraid of getting food poisoning by some one not washing their hands in the kitchen... Just saying. I had absolutely no problems on the PC until I arrived in Santiago..maybe I should go back to small villages with less people? Less fear? Less news?

That is entirely your adult choice to make.

By now I think we all have a civil responsibility to look out for another. For me this means stop walking and be a possible carrier of the virus.
Food poisoning : well then it is only you that will have an upset stomach for a couple of days? This virus is something completely different.

Smaller villages? What if you get ill there? Where will you find a place to go into quarantaine? Hospitals will only admit you when you are in dire need and with severe lungissues. Everyone else has to sit it out " at home ".
Less news? Well the problem does not go away then! Now especially it is of the utmost importance to catch up on objective information through media and public services!

Do take your time to read this forum regarding latest recommendations on the Covid!

Spain will be in an Estado de alarma for at least two weeks.

Yes the Camino is about sharing. But now it is the time to literally take some distance from our Spanish hosts. They have enough on their plate.

Last edited:
Hi again,
The reason these drastic measures have been implemented is to keep the population of Spain and Galicia safe. You didn't see it because it just started. More and more things are going to close. By law. Please think of the bigger picture. We are trying to keep our elderly and sickly safe and the hospital beds available for them. It is not a time for fear or panic but a time for selflessness. We have been told by our government to stay home unless absolutely necessary. I have teenage children, this is not easy for them. But as their mother I must teach them the power of the whole.
Good luck,
MaryEllen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I reached Burgos just as the albegues were all closing on the 12th and was lucky to be given a bed.I am now in a very nice hostal in Santander until the ferry leaves in 5 days time.I have cut my stay in Spain short by a month.In my opinion anyone thinking of continuing with their camino is both selfish and stupid.

With all due respect and aiming to put it into some context.
I’ve grasped from fred4ski that in his hike through Portugal and little towns along Galicia he had had no hint of alarm that could have made him be aware of the real and worrisome situation.
So saying, I second your best bet should be to give up and stop walking.

By now I think we all have a civil responsibility to look out for another. For me this means stop walking and be a possible carrier of the virus.
Food poisoning : well then it is only you that will have an upset stomach for a couple of days? This virus is something completely different.

Smaller villages? What if you get ill there? Where will you find a place to go into quarantaine? Hospitals will only admit you when you are in dire need and with severe lungissues. Everyone else have to sit it out " at home ".
Less news? Well the problem does not go away then! Now especially it is of the utmost importance to catch up on objective information through media and public services!

Do take your time to read this forum regarding latest recommendations on the Covid!

Yes the Camino is about sharing. But now it is the time to literally take some distance from our Spanish hosts. They have enough on their plate.

This!!

Walking now is the selfish thing to do. Very contrary to the normal pilgrim spirit of helping one another.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Fred, as you've had no problems/news on your Camino, you may not realise the severity of COVID19. It is so very serious and I urge you to return home as suggested by Ivar's informed position. The catch phrase ' the Camino will always be there' is a certainty.
I, like so many others, am so very disappointed not to go this year after not going last year, due to injury, but maybe next year or the year after. Who knows!
I'll be exploring my own country backyard in Australia instead.
Buen Camino whatever you decide👣

BC SY
Thank you (from afar) for this offer! If I were on the way, and worried, I know I would appreciate this help. Stay safe and healthy...

I can only echo what others have said so well.
Yes the Camino is about sharing. But now it is the time to literally take some distance from our Spanish hosts. They have enough on their plate
It is not a time for fear or panic but a time for selflessness. We have been told by our government to stay home unless absolutely necessary.
Prayers of well-wishing for everyone in the world.

We each have a choice right now: recognize our interconnectedness and common humanity, or ignore it and do whatever we want not considering the consequences. Paradoxically, the latter is not freedom but being a slave to toxic self-centered entitlement.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
BC SY
Some pilgrims do not seem to be aware of the closures and have just walked past my door in Vilacha. From Portomarin, it is best to travel by bus to Lugo, then Santiago or Madrid. buses go at 0915 and 1800 to Lugo. Otherwise a taxi to Palais de Rei, which is then on the bus route to Santiago. I wish all pilgrims well, but it is best they make plans to return home.

I do not know why you are asking people what to do. You seem to have your mind made up and want to stay in Spain even though EVERYONE from government directives to people here have responded to your asking for advice by telling you to go home. As someone pointed out if you do get sick you probably will be taking the bed and medical resources away from a Spanish national. Go home.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Smaller villages? What if you get ill there? Where will you find a place to go into quarantaine? Hospitals will only admit you when you are in dire need and with severe lungissues. Everyone else has to sit it out " at home ".

Perfectly said. I made a comment but your remarks are fantastic, Thank you and I hope this person heeds your words.

I can only echo what others have said so well.

Prayers of well-wishing for everyone in the world.

We each have a choice right now: recognize our interconnectedness and common humanity, or ignore it and do whatever we want not considering the consequences. Paradoxically, the latter is not freedom but being a slave to toxic self-centered entitlement.
Send this message worldwide please.

maybe I should go back to small villages with less people? Less fear? Less news?
Those arguments - the news media, the fear, the panic - grew old while you walked. It's not about you. It's not about emotions. It's about solidarity, altruism, common sense, voluntary compliance. First and foremost it is about the people of Spain. And in particular about their older people. Who live in small villages.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I reached Burgos just as the albegues were all closing on the 12th and was lucky to be given a bed.I am now in a very nice hostal in Santander until the ferry leaves in 5 days time.I have cut my stay in Spain short by a month.In my opinion anyone thinking of continuing with their camino is both selfish and stupid.

Don't mince words! ;)

Send this message worldwide please.
Thanks to Ivar it's out there already. ;)
I have no FB but I hope similar posts are being shared there.
And in particular about their older people. Who live in small villages.
I have been thinking of all the little old ladies and the gentlemen strolling in the plazas with their canes. May they be well!

Are you joking me? If for no other reason airlines are now revising their schedules and grounding their planes. There might not BE any flights to the US by 6 April. Right now it's OK for US citizens to return to the US, but that might change as well. Sounds like you've been pretty isolated for the past couple of weeks, and the situation in Portugal is not the situation in Spain. Planes are currently flying almost empty, it won't be any problem to rebook, fees or no fees. Take the advice of the folks here, go home now.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

As of March 13, 2020, President Trump has shut down travel from Europe for the next 30 days. Flights from UK are currently allowed.

As a citizen you may enter country; but getting here might be problematic.

You may have literally missed the boat.

In California, a state of emergency has been declared by Governor Gavin Newsom.

Many schools, and universities have been shut-down. Education will continue online for at least next two weeks. In addition, live theater concerts have been cancelled. And, churches are closing their doors until April.

If you manage to return you will have a mandatory 14 day self-quarantine imposed upon you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Are you joking me? If for no other reason airlines are now revising their schedules and grounding their planes. There might not BE any flights to the US by 6 April. Right now it's OK for US citizens to return to the US, but that might change as well. Sounds like you've been pretty isolated for the past couple of weeks, and the situation in Portugal is not the situation in Spain. Planes are currently flying almost empty, it won't be any problem to rebook, fees of no fees. Take the advice of the folks here, go home now.

This makes me think about the concept " of being disconnected on a Camino ". Although I applaud the simplicity that comes with this idea it is now clear that walking a Camino is not something that happens in a parallel universe. Or Disneyland like some distinguished member here once wrote.
Sometimes it is good to keep your eyes and ears open . Every bar or cafeteria in Spain has the television on constantly. It is not difficult to stay connected that way and keep more or less informed.
Also that same bar has at least one regional paper to read.
You do not have to be glued to your cellphone but a quick search every evening ( for a couple of minutes ) can be of help.

As of March 13, 2020, President Trump has shut down travel from Europe for the next 30 days. Flights from UK are currently allowed.
But the UK exemption is now under review as well. The situation is very fluid.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks to Ivar it's out there already. ;)
I have no FB but I hope similar posts are being shared there.
I have been thinking of all the little old ladies and the gentlemen strolling in the plazas with their canes. May they be well!
I live in a village of 32 people in Vilacha a d the Pepe are predominantly old and afraid. I agree it is time to put their health first and stop walking. The thing that attracted me to Galicia was the incredible friendliness, helpfulness and politeness of the people. But do not be mislead by this, underneath they are afraid and vulnerable

Just sent you a PM @Dinkumdigger
Safe travelling

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was just reported by the President in Galicia that all public albergues in Galicia will be closing down for 14 days (for now). All Bars and restaurants will only be able to attend the public for take out service (no seating available).

More here:
We will return when the time comes. Buen Camino to all! 🌻🌻

I think people should keep in mind that anyone who recommends that someone stay in Spain and continue with daily life is suggesting that the person violate the law. Spain has declared a state of emergency. You can go to the pharmacy and the grocery store, leave home for an emergency or for work, but anything else is prohibited. This ban starts tomorrow and will last for 15 days. Whatever your personal ”beliefs” about whether this is a big deal or a hoax or something else, the objective fact is that you will be violating Spanish law if you proceed with these plans. That of course is up to you, but it seems to me that our personal opinions are irrelevant to the clear Spanish directives.

We have a house just outside of Santiago and we are installed here now... I had to go into town this morning, a pilgrim had to get her suitcase, she was on a flight out of Spain later today.. (I have another one of those tomorrow morning). But it was good to see that Santiago was very quiet... people seem to follow the rules and stay at home.

So, I feel that we can do this... Spain can get rid of the virus, it might be a month or two or three... but it will get done. For those having a fall camino in their plans, don't cancel yet... I have a good feeling.

Stay safe all!
Ivar

Quick update, if already posted elsewhere, my apologies: The Xunta has now established that 'stranded' pilgrims can stay at the albergue Monte de Gozo here in Santiago until they have sorted out their flights / travels home which they must do as quickly as possible. Source here:https://www.xunta.gal/notas-de-pren...oncreta-amplia-medidas-prevencion-para-conter in midst of a whole lot of other measures. Stay safe everybody!
SY

My return flight from Barcelona to San Francisco USA is not until April 6.
Level Airlines (flylevel.com) just showed me a Barcelona to San Francisco flight on Thursday the 19th for $215 US. Last year Level charged $200 to rebook a ticket and I ended up just buying a new ticket to Boston for half that price. Hurry to Barcelona and once there grab that ticket. Or buy now and hope to make it to Barcelona in time.

Level also has flights to Boston scheduled for the 17th and 19th at $251.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back