• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All set for Camino.... Leave tonight.... Terrified and excited in equal measure.

Jenn

Time of past OR future Camino
First time planning
Firstly thank you Ivar and the wonderful members of this site for your passionate advice and guidance during my one month (only!) preparation for the Camino.

The day has come. I'm all set for my 24 hour flight tonight, and having last minute jitters about the craziness for a single woman in her 40's who has never been to Europe, never hiked for more than a few hours (though avid daily walker) to leave her teenagers, creature comforts and job behind for a few weeks, feeling that she MUST walk the Camino. I hope to see some reassuring smiling faces out there, commencing from Astorga on Friday.

Please say hello :)

Jenn from Australia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Jenn,

Remember
"Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much...."
Ralph Waldo Emerson,
"Country Life", 1858

Have a wonder-filled time, and,
in the truest sense, Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jean,
I second Mspath's very wise answer...yes, indeed!
You'll probably be surprised at how well you do. In 2014 a friend and I did as a first Camino Leon to SdC in about 2 weeks; we had a blast and walked the entire way. We have at least 15 years on you and didn't do much if anything in the way of training.
Slowly slowly step by step and you'll get there. It's amazing, really, but it's no more scary than that simple step by step by step. And you know how to do that! Focus on being present for each moment and listening to what the body needs...and the goal arrives quite magically.
From Astorga to Santiago is a beautiful part of the Camino...and you won't be short of smiling faces for company.
You'll be right...buen camino and ultreia!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a wonderful quote Margaret, I think I might just have all those things in abundance. Thank you for all your support, each and every response and new post on here, whether it to point me in the right direction, encourage, inform, humour me or kick my butt, has been much appreciated. (A month ago the plan was to set off with a tour group, I'm so glad you all talked me out of it, particularly you NidaRosa :) step, step, step......

Firstly thank you Ivar and the wonderful members of this site for your passionate advice and guidance during my one month (only!) preparation for the Camino.

The day has come. I'm all set for my 24 hour flight tonight, and having last minute jitters about the craziness for a single woman in her 40's who has never been to Europe, never hiked for more than a few hours (though avid daily walker) to leave her teenagers, creature comforts and job behind for a few weeks, feeling that she MUST walk the Camino. I hope to see some reassuring smiling faces out there, commencing from Astorga on Friday.

Jenn from Australia
You will do great. Buen Camino to you Jenn

Jenn from Australia
Buen Camino just one step at a time and be warned it is addictive.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Firstly thank you Ivar and the wonderful members of this site for your passionate advice and guidance during my one month (only!) preparation for the Camino. The day has come. I'm all set for my 24 hour flight tonight, and having last minute jitters about the craziness for a single woman in her 40's who has never been to Europe, never hiked for more than a few hours (though avid daily walker) to leave her teenagers, creature comforts and job behind for a few weeks, feeling that she MUST walk the Camino. I hope to see some reassuring smiling faces out there, commencing from Astorga on Friday. Please say hello :) Jenn from Australia
G'day Jenn - you will get lots of hugs and smiles. As you are starting from Astorga your first day will involve are fairly tiring climb so take in slow and steady - remember to drink lots of water - maybe 2 litrs and to stop (say) every hour for 10 mins and 20 mins/30 mins after 3 hours. If Rabanal is your destination then I recommend the Gaucelmo Albergue - its run by the Confraternity of St James (a UK group) many of their hospitaleros are from Australia/US/Canada as well as UK. Oh do you have your stone (from home) for the Cruz de Ferro?? Buen Camino.

Hi Jenn - one small comment - you have posted this on the "bike/cycling" section of the Camino. But not to worry - we know what you meant.

Edit: moved by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What a wonderful quote Margaret, I think I might just have all those things in abundance. Thank you for all your support, each and every response and new post on here, whether it to point me in the right direction, encourage, inform, humour me or kick my butt, has been much appreciated. (A month ago the plan was to set off with a tour group, I'm so glad you all talked me out of it, particularly you NidaRosa :) step, step, step......

Only this morning I had a lovely message from a dear friend who has just walked from St. Jean to Santiago. She, too, was going to go with a tour group and I (gently) talked her out of it. She was so thankful.
Buen Camino, Jenn.

G'day Jenn - you will get lots of hugs and smiles. As you are starting from Astorga your first day will involve are fairly tiring climb so take in slow and steady - remember to drink lots of water - maybe 2 litrs and to stop (say) every hour for 10 mins and 20 mins/30 mins after 3 hours. If Rabanal is your destination then I recommend the Gaucelmo Albergue - its run by the Confraternity of St James (a UK group) many of their hospitaleros are from Australia/US/Canada as well as UK. Oh do you have your stone (from home) for the Cruz de Ferro?? Buen Camino.
Thank you I have the first few nights booked :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Jenn from Australia

Buen Camino, Jenn! Best wishes from across the Ditch - have a wonderful time. Walking from Astorga you have a beautiful stretch of the Camino ahead - take it easy as others have said, and breathe!

Jenn from Australia
Good on you Jen, safe travels, buen Camino I leave Aug 20, slightly terrified but also super excited Kez

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good on you Jen, safe travels, buen Camino I leave Aug 20, slightly terrified but also super excited Kez
You will find out everything you need to know on here Kez but yes terrified is exactly how I'm feeling, more about the transit than anything else. But I feel that I'll be fine once I'm walking. It's been a longgg day waiting for a midnight flight, I can't tell you how many times I have repacked

You will find out everything you need to know on here Kez but yes terrified is exactly how I'm feeling, more about the transit than anything else. But I feel that I'll be fine once I'm walking. It's been a longgg day waiting for a midnight flight, I can't tell you how many times I have repacked
Which airport are you transiting through and how long do you have?

Which airport are you transiting through and how long do you have?
Melb- KL-Dubai-Madrid, then crash overnight and bus to Astorga. I'm exhausted just thinking about the next 24 hours of transit. I'm there for 22 days so will go to the coast after Santiago.
Yes warrandyte is stunning, I'm proud to call it home. And plenty of hills for Camino training. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Melb- KL-Dubai-Madrid, then crash overnight and bus to Astorga. I'm exhausted just thinking about the next 24 hours of transit. I'm there for 22 days so will go to the coast after Santiago.
Yes warrandyte is stunning, I'm proud to call it home. And plenty of hills for Camino training. :)

Night flights out of Australia are good if you can sleep some of the way. Just R-E-L-A-X, you'll be fine.

Have done lots of walking in the Yarra Ranges too - extraordinarily beautiful country.

Last edited:
Jenn-- an hour before I started walking from SJPDP I started crying like a baby, scared to death. Much like you, never walked more than 5 miles, used to creature comforts, about to turn 50. I pushed myself out of the door...and within 30 minutes found myself on the road making friends with a lovely Mother-Daughter team from Denver (CO). Within 7-8 hours I arrived to Roncesvalles on a day that became one of the best days of my life. Imagine that....a day that started with me crying.

Your Camino is on the other side of fear...go get it!! :) Buen Camino!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Jenn from Australia

Jenn: I have been helping a friend prepare for her camino. She is starting from Astorga on Friday as well! It is her first time in Europe, first time hiking and she is nervous. She will arrive in Astoga at the Hotel Gaudi at 5:30 pm on Thursday and plans to start walking around 7-7:30 am Friday. Her name is Teresa and she is petite with brown hair -wearing an REI backpack. I hope you meet!

Jen
G'day from the Blue Mountains. We are jealous and excited for you. You will have a life changing experience and will learn a lot about yourself.
It may help to know that if you are scared or anxious, that is great and remember, everyone else is.
We found we cried and laughed, shed kilos (twice at a post office), learnt how to live more simply and loved the decluttering aspect for the first time in our lives that leaves more room for a filling of the soul if appropriate to you.
It seemed to work for us that the first third was for the body and we got fitter, the second for the mind and we settled down and the third was for the soul...it was hard and we had to listen to our bodies and stop and sort out issues such as hotspots as soon as they started.
Everyone we know had a "breakdown" where things got too much and we had a "why are we doing" this moment and pushing through that with fantastic help and love from like minded, mixed nationality, brother and sister pilgrims forged us a little more in the fire of the walk.
You will make some friends you will keep for the rest of your life!
It was good to always keep our main goal in mind but be flexible in our thinking and we accepted that if we had to send our packs ahead or take a bus etc, we would - that was a comfort and we never actually needed it.
There are many Aussies on the Way now, several from our group up here.
Buen Camino mate!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jen
G'day from the Blue Mountains. We are jealous and excited for you. You will have a life changing experience and will learn a lot about yourself.
It may help to know that if you are scared or anxious, that is great and remember, everyone else is.
We found we cried and laughed, shed kilos (twice at a post office), learnt how to live more simply and loved the decluttering aspect for the first time in our lives that leaves more room for a filling of the soul if appropriate to you.
It seemed to work for us that the first third was for the body and we got fitter, the second for the mind and we settled down and the third was for the soul...it was hard and we had to listen to our bodies and stop and sort out issues such as hotspots as soon as they started.
Everyone we know had a "breakdown" where things got too much and we had a "why are we doing" this moment and pushing through that with fantastic help and love from like minded, mixed nationality, brother and sister pilgrims forged us a little more in the fire of the walk.
It was good to always keep our main goal in mind but be flexible in our thinking and we accepted that if we had to send our packs ahead or take a bus etc, we would - that was a comfort and we never actually needed it.
Buen Camino mate!
Wonderful post Blaster……beautifully put - and will be an inspiration for others. Maggie

WoW Jen thats a trip and a half my previous was Melbourne to KL then Paris and a train down to St Jean, this trip Melb - Hong Kong- Madrid and train to Valencia (or plane) and then 3 months hoping to do the Levante and Protugesse. I am so excited for you even though this is my third trip (I told you it was addictive) I still fill nervous, scared , excited like the little boy waiting on Christmas night. Well I know you will have a great trip and your family will be so sick about hearing all about it day after day after day........BUEN CAMINO

I'm so excited for you Jenn, Buen Camino!

Jenn-- an hour before I started walking from SJPDP I started crying like a baby, scared to death. Much like you, never walked more than 5 miles, used to creature comforts, about to turn 50. I pushed myself out of the door...and within 30 minutes found myself on the road making friends with a lovely Mother-Daughter team from Denver (CO). Within 7-8 hours I arrived to Roncesvalles on a day that became one of the best days of my life. Imagine that....a day that started with me crying.

Your Camino is on the other side of fear...go get it!! :) Buen Camino!!
Awww thank you so much, that's great encouragement, I do imagine this challenge will have emotional sections. I was nearly in tears even as my daughter dropped me at the airport. It's such a long trip. I'm only a third the way there. Looking forward to letting go

Jen
Buen Camino mate!

That is great to know. I survived a brain aneurysm in January so when people ask why I am doing this, my answer is "because I can." :)

Jenn: I have been helping a friend prepare for her camino. She is starting from Astorga on Friday as well! It is her first time in Europe, first time hiking and she is nervous. She will arrive in Astoga at the Hotel Gaudi at 5:30 pm on Thursday and plans to start walking around 7-7:30 am Friday. Her name is Teresa and she is petite with brown hair -wearing an REI backpack. I hope you meet!
Oh my god I'm staying there too tomorrow night!! I will be thrilled to meet her, please fb Jenn Daverington -:)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Oh I'll miss her im there Friday at 2.30, walking Sat morn, what country is she from? We may still meet up somewhere :)

Jenn from Australia
Go to the amazing chocolate shop - buy a big bar and take some with you! Very envious of you - wish I could do it all again....have a wonderful time. Ultreia

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh I'll miss her im there Friday at 2.30, walking Sat morn, what country is she from? We may still meet up somewhere :)

Teresa is from Dallas, Texas. I know she arrived safe so hopefully you met her.

Getting to the start line is the hardest part. After that all you have to do is put one foot
in front of the other.

Buen Camino

So true! Those are the exact words I texted to my friend as she boarded her plane!

€46,-

Jenn from Australia
If it's any inspiration, my wife and I are mid way on our Camino from Ponferrada to SdC and are amazed at the number of young women traveling on their own on the Camino (many Aussies I might add).
Burn Camino!

Jenn from Australia
hi jenn I am a 73 man, who did it last year and one thing is sure you will never forget the people you meet and the places your travel will take you. I was worried but within two hours all my anxt went and I had the most wonderful experience . I envy you as you have no idea what to expect ,but you will not be disappointed . have a great Camino . oh lucky you. djb

hi jenn I am a 73 man, who did it last year and one thing is sure you will never forget the people you meet and the places your travel will take you. I was worried but within two hours all my anxt went and I had the most wonderful experience . I envy you as you have no idea what to expect ,but you will not be disappointed . have a great Camino . oh lucky you. djb
I am having such a wonderful time and can't quite believe the coincidences of the interactions of people o am
Meeting along the way. I feel safe, nurtured and excited. Thank you all for your encouragement. I am sipping Albariño to celebrate my first day and am feeling extremely excited and peaceful. Camino is performing it's magic under mild but sunny skies ❤️

Such a small world,
My new friend Cathy from
USA also met Teresa at the airport but is a day ahead of us. I believe she didn't enjoy the hills to el Acebo so catching taxi to Sarria tomorrow. We will probably miss her now.

No one is alone on the Camino. ❤️

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good times for sure!

And my last job today other than finalising my pack, is to collect a little rock from my Yarra river in warrandyte. Oh and to work out my phone plan. :)
Oh Jen. You are from my neck of the woods. I live in Ringwood!! I walked the CF last year. Have a wonderful time, you will not be sorry you 'unjoined' the tour group. Keep us updated on the forum. Buen Camino

Jean,
I second Mspath's very wise answer...yes, indeed!
You'll probably be surprised at how well you do. In 2014 a friend and I did as a first Camino Leon to SdC in about 2 weeks; we had a blast and walked the entire way. We have at least 15 years on you and didn't do much if anything in the way of training.
Slowly slowly step by step and you'll get there. It's amazing, really, but it's no more scary than that simple step by step by step. And you know how to do that! Focus on being present for each moment and listening to what the body needs...and the goal arrives quite magically.
From Astorga to Santiago is a beautiful part of the Camino...and you won't be short of smiling faces for company.
You'll be right...buen camino and ultreia!
We also walked from Astoria last year and it is beautiful. Do make the detour to samos and stay in the beautiful monastery there but just be aware that we did.my see too many people on that dtrrtvh and it was through A lot of quiet forests and deserted villages so best to hitch up with someone for this stretch. Burn camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Such a small world, My new friend Cathy from USA also met Teresa at the airport but is a day ahead of us. I believe she didn't enjoy the hills to el Acebo so catching taxi to Sarria tomorrow. We will probably miss her now. No one is alone on the Camino. ❤️
Its unfortunate that Teresa "didn't enjoy the hills" - meeting the challenge of the Galician Hills is one of the hallmarks of the Camino. Just take it slow and steady (especially those "down-slopes") - it's not a race. If you need a day off - take it; if you find a town you like - stop and smell the roses (stay there that night). Our learned colleague David (he of first aid fame) recommends having not plans for your Camino - other than for the first two/three days. (But that's just him). Its now Sunday night in Oz (raining on the coast south of Sydney) so you might have past the Cruz this day. The view back to the east over Astorga is impressive!! Buen Camino

Jenn from Australia

Jenn, as I write this you now have a few days of walking under your belt now.
It all works out doesn't it? On my first Camino in 2014 my wife and I were not entirely sure what we were getting ourselves into, but we quickly fell in love with Spain, it's culture and the joy of meeting fellow pilgrims.
In 2014 we did Ponferrada to Santiago, 2015, Burgos to Ponferrada and this year St. Jean to Burgos and then we bussed to Sarria and did the last 115 kilometers into Santiago again but with different overnights then in 2014 when we did this section.
2017 will be the Portuguese route from Porto to Santiago and then to Muxia.
Camino's can be highly addictive!
Hope things are going well for you and this experience has exceeded your expectations.

I did it!! Walking 'my Camino' has possibly been the most enriching experience of my life (other than having children.) Astorga to Santaigo was a great distance for me and my Camino family grew from day one, I actually felt like Dorothy on the yellow brick road, nurtured by all her new friends with big hearts and clever brains. (Lol) Not once did I actually open the Brierley guide, im ashamed to say, because I felt so supported.... A mixture of albergues and hotels, having my pack transported worked for my spine, and every day was more spectacular and more energised than the last. Was worried I'd be 'over thinking' but it all just unfolded so naturally, there was nothing to worry about. Got a few customary blisters on the last few days, perhaps due to complacency and running out of tape, but nothing could distract from the high of this wondrous spiritual journey. I thank all those who have walked before who have shared their advice and I now will do exactly that by spreading the passion. <3

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What a wonderful journey. Congratulations and welcome back!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back