• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All the Caminos in 3D

diegoromerosm

Lost and found in the Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone,

While the days go by until my next Camino (Camino Inglés in December), I have been "playing" with the GPX files of all the Caminos, all the variants and all the stages (430,000 points) to put them on a 3D map.

Do you want to take a look and explore the view of Bierzo walking from Cruz de Ferro? Any other place you remember?

Tell me what you miss and I will improve it.

Thank you very much... and Buen Camino!
IMG_6518.PNG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Amazing Diego. Quite a feat of engineering, assembling all the disparate sources of data and producing something that is as useful as entertaining. Spent some nice time looking at places on the Levante and Brangança route where I got miserably lost.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Amazing Diego. Quite a feat of engineering, assembling all the disparate sources of data and producing something that is as useful as entertaining. Spent some nice time looking at places on the Levante and Brangança route where I got miserably lost.
Thank you! I’ll add some info to explore stage profiles but I love to share that mix of data and interaction in one field that I’m really passionate about.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
diegoromerosm, thank you for all your effort. Can you help me figure out how to focus on one of the points and bring it to life? I'm not a complete dummy.... just a bit uneducated in the more sophisticated applications!

Tell me what you miss and I will improve it.
This is an absolute tour de mapping force!
Really impressive.
Muchas gracias.

One request and minor clarification about nomenclature.
There's a route out of Pamplona that joins the Vasco at Aguarain, and then at Miranda de Ebro takes off towards Aguilar de Campoo via Frias, Trespaderne, Quintana de Valdevielso, Pesqueria del Ebro, Orbaneja del Castillo, Polientes, Villanueva de la Nia.
Here's a planning thread we did here last year, with some wikiloc links in there somewhere.

It would be so great if you could add the Viejo route from Miranda de Ebro to Aguilar de Campoo.
From AdC onwards it merges with the Olvidado. Gracias!

That route starting in Pamplona is also called the Viejo, as well as the Camino de las Asturias - it's really confusing because from Aguarain to Puebla de Arganzon, the same route is four separate caminos - Viejo CdlA, Vasco, Via de Bayona. The Camino de las Asturias takes off from either PdA or Miranda de Ebro, and heads off towards the coast rather than following the river, the way the Viejo goes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
diegoromerosm, thank you for all your effort. Can you help me figure out how to focus on one of the points and bring it to life? I'm not a complete dummy.... just a bit uneducated in the more sophisticated applications!
For sure! Try this:
- Go to the article
- Expand the map centred in Santiago to full screen view using the cross button

Captura de pantalla 2021-09-16 a las 17.04.41.png
- using (+) and (-) or you mouse wheel, you can zoom in and out.
- using the compass button, you can reset the orientation to north/south
- using the CTRL key and your left-button of your mouse, you can modify the view to explore in 3D
- to exit fullscreen mode, just press ESC key.

I hope this helps... :)

This is an absolute tour de mapping force!
Really impressive.
Muchas gracias.

One request and minor clarification about nomenclature.
There's a route out of Pamplona that joins the Vasco at Aguarain, and then at Miranda de Ebro takes off towards Aguilar de Campoo via Frias, Trespaderne, Quintana de Valdevielso, Pesqueria del Ebro, Orbaneja del Castillo, Polientes, Villanueva de la Nia.
Here's a planning thread we did here last year, with some wikiloc links in there somewhere.

It would be so great if you could add the Viejo route from Miranda de Ebro to Aguilar de Campoo.
From AdC onwards it merges with the Olvidado. Gracias!

That route starting in Pamplona is also called the Viejo, as well as the Camino de las Asturias - it's really confusing because from Aguarain to Puebla de Arganzon, the same route is four separate caminos - Viejo CdlA, Vasco, Via de Bayona. The Camino de las Asturias takes off from either PdA or Miranda de Ebro, and heads off towards the coast rather than following the river, the way the Viejo goes.
Thank you!!! I'll check this wikiloc files out and I'll add to the map for sure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Go to the article
- Expand the map centred in Santiago to full screen view using the cross button

Captura de pantalla 2021-09-16 a las 17.04.41.png

- using (+) and (-) or you mouse wheel, you can zoom in and out.
- using the compass button, you can reset the orientation to north/south
- using the CTRL key and your left-button of your mouse, you can modify the view to explore in 3D
- to exit fullscreen mode, just press ESC key.

I hope this helps...
Yes, thank you, it does!
So a dimb question: once in 3D, is there an easy way to rotate the view to the right and left (as when following a track that's going that way)?

Awesome, simply awesome.
For those of us who have yet to tread the Camino this brings it to life.
Sincere thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Awesome, simply awesome.
For those of us who have yet to tread the Camino this brings it to life.
Sincere thanks.
Thank you so much for that. If I can help with these little things… the “job” is done.
And… maybe one day we can walk a few moments to enjoy those places.
Buen Camino Max

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sure! You just need to CTRL + click the left button of your mouse and then drag to right/left...
Ah, Ok. I wasn't doing it wrong. Just not so skilled. :oops: :cool:

I'm playing with this on my Android phone, and even though I cannot access the 3D feature on my phone, the map alone is fantastic. I especially like how the routes change color with elevation. It tells you at a glance what kind of heights a particular camino encounters, and allows a quick comparison to other routes nearby.
Again...gracias!!

Ah, Ok. I wasn't doing it wrong. Just not so skilled. :oops: :cool:

I'm playing with this on my Android phone, and even though I cannot access the 3D feature on my phone, the map alone is fantastic. I especially like how the routes change color with elevation. It tells you at a glance what kind of heights a particular camino encounters, and allows a quick comparison to other routes nearby.
Again...gracias!!
3D > two fingers
zoom in/out > pinch
:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I really like this but I think it needs more explanation on how to navigate. I'm using a track pad and/or a Wacom stylus instead of a mouse. I did some screen captures to add to my journals. This is the hill on our second day of the Camino Ingles out of La Coruna. I cried somewhere off in the distance, then cried again when I got to the top! TheHILL.png

Thank you @Theresa Brandon! I'm really glad you find it useful. Regarding the navigation, I will include some extra notes but the truth is that I have not tested it with a Wacom tablet, only with a mouse and touch devices.

Do you publish your journals? I would love to read them and reference them!

BTW, my next Camino will be the Inglés :)

I really like this but I think it needs more explanation on how to navigate. I'm using a track pad and/or a Wacom stylus instead of a mouse. I did some screen captures to add to my journals. This is the hill on our second day of the Camino Ingles out of La Coruna. I cried somewhere off in the distance, then cried again when I got to the top! View attachment 116001

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I really like this but I think it needs more explanation on how to navigate. I'm using a track pad and/or a Wacom stylus instead of a mouse. I did some screen captures to add to my journals. This is the hill on our second day of the Camino Ingles out of La Coruna. I cried somewhere off in the distance, then cried again when I got to the top! View attachment 116001
Hi Theresa, my friend and I are walking the Camino Ingles in mid-April. Have a question about getting from Madrid to A Corûna then Ferrol. We are not going to make it in 5 days and hope to find places to stay are open in between the mayor stops for most pilgrims. Thanks for starting the path for us. Elin

Thanks Diego. I have prepared edited kml/gpx files for all my Caminos, and European bike rides, for many years - and loaded them into my Garmin or phone. I will now try and incorporate some extra features, using the software you have used, into my route preparation for my upcoming 4 stage Camino: Malaga - Merida - Salamanca -Braga - Santiago. Something to do in a quiet night soon.

Thanks Diego. I have prepared edited kml/gpx files for all my Caminos, and European bike rides, for many years - and loaded them into my Garmin or phone. I will now try and incorporate some extra features, using the software you have used, into my route preparation for my upcoming 4 stage Camino: Malaga - Merida - Salamanca -Braga - Santiago. Something to do in a quiet night soon.
Wow!! Thank you @Sirage !! Eager to see the result 😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.