• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All the single ladies, all the single ladies

Kcorbharas

Time of past OR future Camino
Future: Sept 2023
Hello all!

I am a 28 yo American female planning to walk the Camino Frances SOLO in September. I’ll be staying in communal dorms the entire time.
I am walking alone, bc I don’t know anyone interested in joining me, but I really want to make friends on this trip.

I am curious to know about other solo female pilgrim experiences. (Esp. If you stayed in dorms)
Did you feel safe the entire time? How often were you completely alone on the trail? Did you create a “trail family”?

Any bit of insight is welcome!
And if you weren’t a female solo traveler feel free to comment your own observations!

Buen Camino! I’m so excited! 😁

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There will be lots of people walking in September so you will meet others traveling alone or in small groups. On the CF you will likely be in sight of other pilgrims most days, especially in the beginning.. Albergues are safe havens for any pilgrim.

Perhaps you should specify what you mean by safe haven more. Albergues aren't safe, safe, safe per se. All usual cautions apply. Keep your valuables on you, don't leave your phone while it is charging and there may be the occasional creepy person among the lovely pilgrims in albergues too.

Yes, I agree you should keep your valuables with you at all times. You should also download the Alert Cops App to your phone. @MinaKamina is right and there have been occasional crimes against pilgrims although not often. If you feel unsafe somewhere, seek the company of other pilgrim groups or alert the hospitalera at the albergue or call the police using the app.

I have always walked alone and have not felt uneasy on the trail. Of course, take the usual precautions that you would anywhere and be aware of your surroundings and keep your belongings close.

"Camino families" are readily made and familiar faces will weave in and out of your walk. That is one of the delightful things about the Camino - the close connections that you can form with others. Make sure you have a Whatsapp account in order to connect and reconnect with kindred spirits and your "family" along the way.

There is a Fcbk group you may be interested in, to network with other women planning their walks.
CAMIGAS ~ A Buddy System for Women on the Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have always walked alone and have not felt uneasy on the trail. Of course, take the usual precautions that you would anywhere and be aware of your surroundings and keep your belongings close.

"Camino families" are readily made and familiar faces will weave in and out of your walk. That is one of the delightful things about the Camino - the close connections that you can form with others. Make sure you have a Whatsapp account in order to connect and reconnect with kindred spirits and your "family" along the way.

There is a Fcbk group you may be interested in, to network with other women planning their walks.

CAMIGAS ~ A Buddy System for Women on the Camino

This is so great! Thank you!!

Yes, I agree you should keep your valuables with you at all times. You should also download the Alert Cops App to your phone. @MinaKamina is right and there have been occasional crimes against pilgrims although not often. If you feel unsafe somewhere, seek the company of other pilgrim groups or alert the hospitalera at the albergue or call the police using the app.
Good to know! Thank you!

I walked alone in September '21. I met people the first day that I liked and walked with until Pamplona where I took a 2 day break. And then I met other people. I never felt unsafe and I usually started walking alone in the dark every morning. Some days I walked entirely alone until my end point, some days people I knew would show up while I was having coffee along the way and I would continue with them, some days I would walk with people for an hour or two and then speed off into the distance.

I only stayed in Albergues a few times, because I have sleep issues. You will meet lots of people. Some of whom you will click with and walk with every day. Some you will just know to nod at and some you won't like. :D If you aren't finding people you like, change your start time in the morning. There were people I never met because I left at 7am but I would see them walking into town at the end of the day. Most people tend to stick to a schedule, if they start early they continue to start early, or if they start at 9 or 10am they will continue to do so.

As others have said, pay attention to your surroundings and don't leave your valuables in your pack when it is not with you. Consider downloading the AlertCops app and know that 112 is the number to call for emergencies.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all!

I am a 28 yo American female planning to walk the Camino Frances SOLO in September. I’ll be staying in communal dorms the entire time.
I am walking alone, bc I don’t know anyone interested in joining me, but I really want to make friends on this trip.

I am curious to know about other solo female pilgrim experiences. (Esp. If you stayed in dorms)
Did you feel safe the entire time? How often were you completely alone on the trail? Did you create a “trail family”?

And if you weren’t a female solo traveler feel free to comment your own observations!

Although I am male I traveled solo on the Primitivo. I was fortunate to start making my Camino family at the Madrid Airport with a Polish guy and it only grew from there. I did walk alone some times and met up with them at the end of the day. My advice to you is to trust your gut, and keep you head on a swivel. Decide what is your hard stop is ( I mean what you WILL NEVER do). One day I woke up really early on started walking in the dark AND it was snowing. As I was walking along the road your "stereotypical" van slowly came upon me and stopped...with the motor running. I kept walking and I got off the road to walk down a trail to avoid the van. when I got back up on the road the van was ahead of me just idiling its engine. I wasn;t about to go near it. I turned around and began walking back where I came from. The van left. But my point is my hard stop is I will never let me take me away in a car van etc. and even though it probably was fine I trusted my gut not to go near that van. Just use common sense.

Hello all!

Relax, young woman with a difficult nick :) . You will befriend other people, you will make new friends, some for life, you will have a great time, cook dinners with other pilgrims in albergues, have your reflections on life, share wine, and who knows, the Camino may thange the course of your life.

As you are so young, the Camino may become a life-changer for you. I hope so. Just go and do it. I wish I started walking at your age: A very smart decision.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all!

No problems at all lots solo ladies doing Camino's from all over world although I'm a man have done 18 Camino's Camino's over years and going again this May and June women tend to join up very easily but do not worry you'll be fine all will work out ok Buen Camino enjoy what willbe a blast you'll never forget.

No problems at all lots solo ladies doing Camino's from all over world although I'm a man have done 18 Camino's Camino's over years and going again this May and June women tend to join up very easily but do not worry you'll be fine all will work out ok Buen Camino enjoy what willbe a blast you'll never forget.
Thank you so much 😊

Thank you so much 😊
I’m male and a nomadic traveller. I have been commenting to lots of people about how many single solo female travellers there are pretty much everywhere nowadays (with the odd exception). Many very young and older folks too. Especially noticeable in Europe, South America and SE Asia. I actually think there are more female single solo travellers than male, but it is an observation and I have no figures to back that up. Was talking to two Dutch girls, about 22 years old, on an 8 hour boat trip yesterday who I assumed were close friends but who had only met in a hostel a few days back. They talked about parents being worried but stated how safe and easy it has been.

But I not naive and nothing more annoying than men saying nothing to worry about! Of course there is probably not a female alive who has not been leered at, had inappropriate comments, and I know the extra precautions all females have to take are a constant source of shame for all ‘right thinking’ males but in 99.99% of cases all will be good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But I not naive and nothing more annoying than men saying nothing to worry about! Of course there is probably not a female alive who has not been leered at, had inappropriate comments, and I know the extra precautions all females have to take are a constant source of shame for all ‘right thinking’ males but in 99.99% of cases all will be good

Very much appreciate you acknowledging this! The mental checklist I (and frankly, all women) go through when assessing our safety is quite the flowchart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd hazard a guess that you'll be safer on the camino than walking down the street in Florida. Safe from danger, that is. There will be some of the usual male silliness and obnoxiousness but if anything less than you might be subjected to in the workplace. The fact that you have asked the question shows that you are aware of the risks inherent in solo travel and will be sensible enough to avoid the obvious mistakes such as letting strangers know your plans. Just maintain basic situational awareness and you should be fine. And as many other posters have said, you won't be the first or the only solo female walker by a long chalk.

I have walked CF solo a few times and felt very, very safe.

Safe yes, but as others have said keep your wits about you.

Please take: passport, bank cards, phone, and money everywhere you go. Even take items into the shower in a waterproof bag.

I was surprised how often I felt cared for by locals and other pilgrims.

Take as much time and as many pictures as you are able.

Have a wonderful time.

Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very much appreciate you acknowledging this! The mental checklist I (and frankly, all women) go through when assessing our safety is quite the flowchart.

Yes I can well imagine. Latterly in my career I worked in a largely female environment and ‘safety’ was an everyday aspect of all their lives. How to be safe when jogging, how to get home from the work event safely, which route to get home after working late, and so on! It was endless, and everyday, on a scale that men would never have to consider or imagine. I know we have had a few threads on here about how men can help and support and be aware of how their behaviours can support or not support certain situations. Small stuff can make a big difference.

For example I think it was Kat Davis (RIP), who talked about her fear/discomfort of walking early in the dark, but was keen to ‘crack on’, and how she felt more reassured if a male behind her had walking poles rather than not (signifying that the person was doing the Camino, and less likely to be a threat). She also referenced her annoyance when a man said there was ‘nothing to worry about’! So if I am behind a single or maybe two females, I make such a noise with my walking poles I probably wake up the whole village!!

One of the advantages of being an elderly solo female walker is that the sort of "attention" which can be very annoying if not frightening hardly affects you. When I was young and travelling alone in foreign places, if I encountered such attention I would ask a family, or a man old enough to be my father, to help if I ran into a persistent botherer. It happened rarely but the strategy always worked. And left me feeling very positive about other people, who are invariably kind if asked for help.

As others have said the Camino is very safe.

Hello all!

I walked my first Camino September 21 at 40 years older than you. I walked solo and never felt unsafe. I walked at a slow pace mainly on my own. I started at first light sometimes with other people but often slowed down as they were walking to fast for me. I did often meet up with people on the road and walked with them for a while. Although sometimes I couldn't see people Infront of behind me whenever I stopped to take a photo or have a drink someone always caught up with me. Enjoy your Camino as others have said be aware of your surroundings and keep your valuables with you at all times.

Albergues are safe havens for any pilgrim.
Albergues aren't safe, safe, safe per se. All usual cautions apply. Keep your valuables on you, don't leave your phone while it is charging and there may be the occasional creepy person among the lovely pilgrims in albergues too.
Given the appearently contradictory advices, use your common sense and find a middle ground.
Follow the same precautions you would at home and you will be very safe, probably even safer.
Embracing an open and friendly attitude will help you quickly become part of "the gang", but beware of becoming too attached to a particular "Camino family," as this may limit your opportunities for spontaneous experiences and focus on the Camino.
Be also aware of the occasional male pilgrim "specializing" in seeking romantic adventures. Usually, they are harmless, but like the "families," they may take up a significant portion of your personal Camino experience if you become too involved.

When we did our caminos we found that everyone, regardless of age or gender, made great friends along the way. We would be at least the ages of your parents and observed that young people easily found groups of walking companions. Don’t worry in the least and, as long as you use normal precautions, the Camino is a very safe endeavour for someone like you. Since we would appropriately be viewed as parental, safe and harmless, there were times when young women and men would walk along with us to their next stop and we would have great conversations about their lives. Additionally, when our son did it alone at an age younger than you, he immediately found a wonderful group of walking companions.
It will likely be one of the best and most useful experiences of your life.

I think you will be safe. I think the formation of a Camino family or tramily is dependent on a lot of factors, but I doubt you will have any problems if you are open and social. I think that Joanna (solo female) asked to walk out of León with us because there was a report on the Camiga FB group about a flasher. We all walked out the next day without incident. It is the only time I can remember someone asking for that type of purpose. Otherwise, we all talked the night before about our plans, where we were going, what time we were leaving etc. Just like friends at home.👣:D:cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all!

My wife was a solo hiking, until we met on the Camino. Lol
We are happily married now, and starting our 5th Camino in April.
Via De La Plata.

You will be safe and happy.
Bon Chance!

You will be fine but do take care as you should anywhere. I think it might be naïve to think that problems could not arise. You seem very friendly and you will meet people like you.
Buen Camino!!

Hello all!

How wonderful to be doing this at your age. As a solo woman in her 70’s I walked the “ while” Camino Frances in 2021 and I will walk the Portuguese Camino soon. Mid September to October there were plenty of pilgrims around. I did have long stretches of walking alone which were some of the most moving and significant times of my walk. The paths in Galicia are magical when one is alone. I slept in albergues both municipal and private. I’m a bit deaf so that and judicious use of earplugs meant I always got a good night’s sleep. I was never afraid on the Camino even when I got lost. Other pilgrims were … helpful, charming, sexy, charismatic, boring, kooky, annoying, enchanting, tiresome …. Just like in “ real life” . My only advice, don’t “ hook up even in a friendly way too quickly or in a way that doesn’t give you an out. As a young woman you are probably worried about sexual harassment. As an old one I was more concerned with being a ‘ mark’ for theft. Never heard complaints of either as I walked. That said take normal precautions and trust your instincts.

Hello all!

I walked alone as a single female in September’21. I met a great trail family …some at cafes and some walking. I was completely alone only when I chose to be. I actually stayed in hotels but most of my trail family stayed in albergues. I think it will be much easier meeting people in albergues. I never felt unsafe. I will be walking again this fall. Maybe we will meet! Good Luck and Buen Camino

....left me feeling very positive about other people, who are invariably kind if asked for help.

That was a lovely sentiment Barbara.

My personal advice to any female solo walkers is not to waste waste precious time and well being by feeling cautious over solo male participants. As a middle aged solo walker I'd be the first to recognise someone's discomfort be them male or female, and I'd not be one to walk on by without testing the water first.
The vast majority of us single middle aged male walkers will be thinking of you with parental or sibling instinct than anything untoward, believe me.

Hello all!

absolutely felt safe. I think the Camino is best done solo so you can go inward, reflect, and process. I can't wait to do another one

€149,-
I'm a man, but I noticed when I was doing the Camino last April/May that a lot of women were doing it, and a fair percentage of those had come alone. Talking to a few at different times, some of them who'd travelled in a lot of places told me they felt safer on the Camino than they had almost anywhere else on their travels. Someone said they never encountered any danger or anyone they felt unsafe with, but that the Camino was very good for other women letting them know when a guy could be a bit creepy and watching out for each other.

Hello all!

I belong to a Facebook group called Camigas. It was formed after a female pilgrim was lured off trail in 2015. Two women I walked with in 2015 met there and walked the entire Camino together. I walked “alone” after the friends I arrived with determined they weren’t enjoying themselves and went home from Pamplona. I met and walked with the most wonderful and remarkable people who are now like family. I have no doubt you will have the journey you desire.
¡Buen Camino!

Hello all!

A little research on the difference between a albergue and a hostel is in order. An albergue welcomes pilgrims: one night stay, early lights out in the evening, limited access in the evening, very early mandatory checkout in the morning. An hostel is open to just about anyone with very little limited access and allows multiple nights stay. To make it simple, I never saw a padlock on a locker or a need for one in an albergue. In a hostel, I wondered if a padlock was enough.

€46,-
Hello all!

Traveled alone mostly, occasionally someone else happened to appear at the same hostel and become a dinner companion. Felt "uneasy" a time or two, no genuine threat. Actually needed the time to simply "be", ruminate, enjoy the scenery, etc.

There are so many people walking the Francés at any given time. You will be very safe. The only suggestion I would make is to find a small front facing pack that you wear under your main pack. This would be big enough to hold your passport, wallet, phone and any other valuables you may have. This can stay with you at all times whether on a bathroom break at a cafe, or in your bed with you at night. Have a wonderful camino...they are life-changing!!

Hello all!

I'm walking my 3rd stage of the Francés right now, alone. I walked the other 2 bits alone also (June 2021 and October 2022). Even now which is low season there are people around. I have always felt quite safe but do keep my wits about me, like if I'm walking in a forest I don't wear headphones for example. If you walk in Sept there will be always people around, and you always end up with a group because everyone is walking the same way and many walk similar stages. It's really fun! I had a great group in October, I like to walk alone during the day but we always met up at the hostels at the end of the day and drank and cooked together. It really is a wonderful experience doing the camino (that's why I came back now in February to do my last 100km!), one of the best in my life.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always carry a great Decathlon 10L packable backpack, it weighs nothing and I keep it with me at all times with my valuables and can just put it inside my sleeping bag at night.
There are so many people walking the Francés at any given time. You will be very safe. The only suggestion I would make is to find a small front facing pack that you wear under your main pack. This would be big enough to hold your passport, wallet, phone and any other valuables you may have. This can stay with you at all times whether on a bathroom break at a cafe, or in your bed with you at night. Have a wonderful camino...they are

I walked solo in 2015 as a 35 year old petite female. I felt safer than I frankly do at home most of the time. There were a few moments I guess you would describe as the realization of vulnerability, like when walking alone through a forest, but I think that’s just instinctual and everything was fine. Keep your wits about you, trust your instincts and pay close attention to your surroundings, just as you would anywhere. You will have no problem making friends. I found it much easier as a solo traveler to meet people. If there is a stretch where you feel uneasy about walking alone, find someone or a group of someone’s to walk with you. They’ll likely be along soon if you don’t immediately see anyone.

Hello all!

I’ve walked many different Camino routes alone, even the sparsely populated ones, and was fine, never any issues. There is a Facebook group called “Camigas” you might want to join. The members are all women and your questions, among many others, are addressed often. Things can and do happen on the Camino just as they do everywhere, but the overall sense is the Camino is generally quite safe. The advice from others in this thread is spot on. Never let your valuables (passport, money, etc.) out of your sight and always heed your intuition, just as you would anywhere.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It’s refreshing to see the male respondents to this thread declaring that they inevitably comment from a different (and possibly ‘privileged’) perspective - I’ve never used that description before.

Mrs HtD educated me long ago that a male can never perceive potentially unsafe situations in the same way as a female. (Apologies for only commenting on two options; my learning isn’t that advanced.) and so I felt it wasn’t my place to comment; but I have been proceeded by enough respectful male viewpoints.

You’ll have a great time. Apply your customary discretion and you’ll meet a wide range of really interesting people just like you.

I've done the camino both ways--first time sola and second time with spouse. With spouse, we were more closed-off, less approachable. Our paces (and moods) were different, so it required constant adjustment. That was good, but going by myself was definitely the best--it left me more open to the camino experience and friendships and I could make all my decisions based solely on how I felt. It's an immense freedom and very empowering,especially if you're not used to it. I never felt unsafe, although a few times I paid attention to my gut to avoid a potentially bad situation. One was where a local guy was hanging around a bar, fixated on my female pilgrim friend. Rather than leave her alone, I stayed with her until she was done with her coffee and then we left together and made sure he wasn't following. Another time, there was a guy ahead who seemed to be adjusting his pace so that I would catch up in a remote area. When I slowed my pace, he slowed his. I knew three Irish pilgrims were not far behind me, so I just took a break until they caught up. I don't know if either of those situations would have turned out badly, but for me paying attention to my personal radar was the right decision. Trust yourself, and Buen Camino!

Hello all!

Hello
I am a 70 year old male and walked my first Camino ten years ago. I have met and walked a while with several solo females. On two occasions once on the Camino Frances and once on Camino da Costa I teamed up with solo females and we walked together for a couple of hundred kilometres. We generally sept in municipal alberques but on some occasions we were able to share a twin room in a pension and split the cost. At other times we were able to team up with another couple and split the cost of a room for four which was very favourable. I am still in touch with both these ladies and one even visited my wife and myself with her partner when they were visiting the UK. Last year with my son-in-law I walked the last 100k of Frances with my two granddaughters aged 10 and 7 who both intend to come back with friends when they ae older and walk the whole way "just like granddad". I would have no qualms about them doing this as the spirit and camaraderie on the Camino is exceptional. I appreciate I speak from an older male perspective but I hope it will help you appreciate the beauty and safety of what you are about to experience.
Buen Camino
Vince

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello all!

There is a female Pilgrims FB page and it is a wonderful source of information as we do have some questions and concerns that men would not.

I'm walking my first Camino this May as a 62-year-old solo traveler. I love traveling alone, so I'm looking forward to it. I always take the necessary precautions when traveling alone and will continue to be smart in this case also. Have a wonderful time as I'm sure you will. Buen Camino!

Hello all!

You will find a great many solo married and single women of all ages walking virtually every Camino. Some walk solo because, like you, they can’t find a buddy for the time they are walking. But many others like me walk solo because that is their preference.
You will meet people organically once you start walking. Don’t worry.
You may or may not connect with a ‘Camino family’ but you will still probably walk alone for much of the day as we all walk at a different pace and need different rest stops. Trying to keep up with others is a big risk factor for injury. Sticking with a group can also mean that you might overlook your own needs and interests leading to frustration and regret.
In short the Camino is unique for everyone - safe for solo women - well supported by local police the the local community.
Enjoy.
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Be also aware of the occasional male pilgrim "specializing" in seeking romantic adventures. Usually, they are harmless, but like the "families," they may take up a significant portion of your personal Camino experience if you become too involved.

I know of this all too well!

I highly recommend joining the Camigas facebook group - it's a great resource. I walked the Coastal Camino Portugues solo last September and was able to meet up with another solo walker to start off together.

I've done the camino both ways--first time sola and second time with spouse. With spouse, we were more closed-off, less approachable. Our paces (and moods) were different, so it required constant adjustment. That was good, but going by myself was definitely the best--it left me more open to the camino experience and friendships and I could make all my decisions based solely on how I felt. It's an immense freedom and very empowering,especially if you're not used to it. I never felt unsafe, although a few times I paid attention to my gut to avoid a potentially bad situation. One was where a local guy was hanging around a bar, fixated on my female pilgrim friend. Rather than leave her alone, I stayed with her until she was done with her coffee and then we left together and made sure he wasn't following. Another time, there was a guy ahead who seemed to be adjusting his pace so that I would catch up in a remote area. When I slowed my pace, he slowed his. I knew three Irish pilgrims were not far behind me, so I just took a break until they caught up. I don't know if either of those situations would have turned out badly, but for me paying attention to my personal radar was the right decision. Trust yourself, and Buen Camino!
Well done. This sort of awareness and intervention may seem second nature to you and many others but it’s really important in my view. Some do it naturally, some have to ‘learn’ it, but I don’t think the benefits can be overstated.

Hello all!

I’m a solo female traveler, and have walked the French Camino twice now - once in 2019, and again in 2022. The second time, I continued on past Santiago to Finisterre and Muxía. I would say that never once did I feel unsafe on the Camino, and that includes all the times I was up early, walking in the dark. I stayed in albergues predominantly, with an occasional private room thrown in here or there. I would say you run more of a chance having too many friends on the Camino, than not enough. If you are able, I’d suggest staying at Orisson after leaving SJPDP, rather than walking on to Roncesvalles. It is an incredible experience, and you’ll meet, on your first day of walking, people that you will run into the remainder of the trip. I found many other solo female travelers as I walked, and have completed the Camino twice now with friends who I am still in touch with today. In fact, I’m planning on walking the Primitivo in September with one of the people I met this last trip!

So excited for you!

Hello all!

Hello
I walked the CF last autumn solo (I’m female, 44).
It’s an incredible experience for solo/single women. I’m reminded of this often as I walk around my local green areas in London, regularly diverting away from sections which I sadly don’t feel comfortable walking alone.

However on a few occasions I did still feel that vulnerability on the CF.
These tended to be the occasions I set off later than the majority of the pack - particularly leaving larger towns & cities where I often treated myself to hotel rooms & enjoyed the later check out times.
This sometimes meant I was walking through quiet or industrial parts of town & into countryside, and my solo presence felt much more conspicuous.
On those occasions, I didn’t enjoy that feeling and learnt to avoid setting off much later than others.

On a couple of other occasions I’d wait around (usually 10mins at most!) until I had other pilgrims in sight and then felt much more comfortable walking on.

I met lots of people & loved walking with them all. But I really loved walking alone best of all and found lots of opportunity for both.

When I first began, I couldn’t believe how many pilgrims repeat the experience so many times. Didn’t take long for me to understand it, I’ve been home for three months and I’m planning my next Camino.

I hope you love it
Buen Camino x

Hello all!

I walked solo in 2017. I had no issue with safety; there were times I was walking alone but never felt unsafe. I even got lost once but found my way back no problem. I met many people and ended up walking bits of the Camino with them. I am still in touch some to this day. I didn't walk later than 4 pm; and only once did I depart in the dark. Basically take normal precautions. One friend I met did have a flasher approach/harass her, he was on a bike; she kept walking and ignored him but called she police when she got to a safe spot - kiosk on the path. In hind sight she said she should have poked her walking pole in his spokes and then hit him with it - not sure that would have been a good idea or not. Just use common safety practices. A walking stick(s) are good defense also for stray dogs etc.

I am a 67 yo woman who has walked the Camino twice with a partner. Each time we met other men and women walking alone or together and shared time—sometimes days—together on the trail.

We watched out for one another, and at the end of the day watched and wondered where others were. It would be good if someone you meet knows your destination to be able to watch out for you. Even if you don’t have trouble with another person, sprains and other issues sometimes delay us, and it’s nice for someone to know you’re “out there.”

We’ve seamlessly added another woman with us who was trying to stay clear of a man who seemed overly interested. When he thought she was with us, he moved on. A couple hours later she felt comfortable and did so, as well. Pilgrims are good at taking care of one another.

I was not well one day and my partner secured a ride with a sweet mid 70’s gentleman who offered a ride to our destination for a minimal cost. When we arrived there, he seemed to think he was entitled to more of us than we were interested in sharing but with some maneuvers we were able to slip away and he finally left.

But as a gentleman mentioned previously, stay away from rides (other than “real” taxi’s, if needed), and don’t assume “old” is safe!

You’ll have a great time.
Buen Camino!

Hello all!

Hi
I did the Portuguese coastal from Porto to Santiago de Compostela totally alone last year in September. It was my first Camino but I am a veteran solo traveller. I have done some very amazing trips alone over the past 12 years. I do all my own planning and booking for each so I am aware of what the deal is. I think that’s important for going solo. I felt completely comfortable in the albergue accommodation which I planned to use every night but the way was extremely busy last year so once all the routes converged I booked ahead a few days at a time but I still I left nights open for albergues when they were handy. All but a few of my nights were in dorms.
The unsafest thing I did on the whole trip was leave early in the dark and get into deep dark forest sections alone. That was when it felt a bit unsafe. Sometimes I walked 2 or 3 hours alone in the dark alone of a morning. In the forest it stays darker for much longer and as I went north it was darker. I didn’t have phone contact and so was dependent on wifi so sometimes I didn’t research the morning’s track as much as I probably should have. I had no actual reason to be worried but it occurred to me even for climbing all over the boulders and things without company it was probably not sensible.
I made some wonderful friends along the way and we met and remet and lunched together and had breakfast at some places. There is no problem with going alone. You will enjoy it but it is hard work too!
Good luck with your trip! Enjoy!!!!

Hello all!

Did the Norte alone and loved it. You meet fun people and walk alone at times which I liked. I stayed in albergues and the experience was good. However, personally I don't like the Frances because it is boring and crowded, but most people like it.Buen Camino

€149,-
Hello all!

I have had a few Camino Frances treks and feel any solo walker can remain solo or casual join a group at their leisure. It is pretty easy to join a group, go out to eat from an albergue , stop for cafe Con leche on the trail and sit by a friendly face. If you start at SJPP stay at an albergue that offers a pilgrim meal and you will be introduced to a dozen or more people who you will see daily and speak to them if you wish. Most Pilgrims are just like you

I'm a 64 year old solo female walker who finished the CF last Autumn. I slept in albergues all along the way and there's always a giggle when I tell people that I shared a room with 3 men from UK, France and Korea!! I love those experiences. Was I afraid at times? Yes, since we had to leave in the dark before the sunrise since most albergues want an exit by 7 or 8am. Bring a headlamp. Enjoy the sunrise, enjoy meeting new people from all over. I purposefully staggered my days so I could meet a variety of people and planned on not attaching myself to only one group (too much pressure to do their pace)

I am a 67 yo woman who has walked the Camino twice with a partner. Each time we met other men and women walking alone or together and shared time—sometimes days—together on the trail.

We watched out for one another, and at the end of the day watched and wondered where others were. It would be good if someone you meet knows your destination to be able to watch out for you. Even if you don’t have trouble with another person, sprains and other issues sometimes delay us, and it’s nice for someone to know you’re “out there.”

We’ve seamlessly added another woman with us who was trying to stay clear of a man who seemed overly interested. When he thought she was with us, he moved on. A couple hours later she felt comfortable and did so, as well. Pilgrims are good at taking care of one another.

I was not well one day and my partner secured a ride with a sweet mid 70’s gentleman who offered a ride to our destination for a minimal cost. When we arrived there, he seemed to think he was entitled to more of us than we were interested in sharing but with some maneuvers we were able to slip away and he finally left.

But as a gentleman mentioned previously, stay away from rides (other than “real” taxi’s, if needed), and don’t assume “old” is safe!

You’ll have a great time.
Buen Camino!
Yes definately don’t think ‘old is safe’ with all due respect to older folks. Been doing a lot of backpacking over last few years often surrounded by people half my age (actually a third of my age) and one of the best things I have seen (alongside the number of young women travelling alone) is the often impeccable attitude of many young men towards women (as it should be of course, and shouldn’t be worthy of comment but I guess it is) and ease at which they form groups without any agendas. I have seen this on Camino too for that matter.

Some good points in the last few posts about the planning women have to do for safety, all things that as a man I don’t have to consider. I guess it’s like an insurance policy, all these considerations and thankfully in most instances not needed. A previous poster referred to it as a ‘Safety flowchart’ which I thought was very insightful and captured it in two words!

The walking in the dark alone in the morning is a constant theme and I think probably is one that men and other females could probably be most supportive in. . Many women I know many not slow at coming forward!) can be reticent in asking for help in situations where they may feel uncomfortable as they think of a) is a fuss about nothing, and b) reinforces a (ridiculous) stereotype about women needing ‘help’. I am sure folks have thought about practical solotions to this such as a list of folks leaving early on a notice board that folks can sign up to without feeling an sense of ‘needing support’.

Hello 👏😁 I’m excited for you too, at 68 I was excited (but a little nervous) to be planning to do the Sarria-Santiago short route solo, but fortunately one of my daughter jumped right in to do it too. Though a single female family member from Australia did it your way and had such an awesome time, meeting new and interesting like minded people. sorry I don’t know of any lonely stretches that she may have had. Though I feel sure that you’ll always have great company, like always meets like and you’ll already have a great common denominator 🌹🙏😁 with every good wish and blessing 🥂

I walked alone for the first 600km and then my husband joined me. I had a wonderful time figuring everything out as I went along. It was wonderful only having to care about yourself and stopping when you wanted. I would encourage you to do it alone if you can. If I ever felt a bit oogie, I would find a couple or another person or some men and ask them if I could walk with them for a bit as I didn't have a good feeling. I will say I never walked in the dark alone. I was too afraid. Some parts of the Camino are through forest and my mind just couldn't do it in the dark alone. So if I wanted to start in the dark I would try to find another person to walk with me for that portion. I had a lot of lame things happen on the camino (bed bugs, infected blisters, kidney stone, a thrown out backpack) and in every situation, a camino angel helped me (most of the time it was a woman!). I felt deeply empowered doing it alone and to this day, I find that after doing it alone, I know I can do anything alone now. :)

😁👏 A brave, honest and empathic lady 💕 with an understanding Husband too, it doesn’t get much better than that 🌹🙏💕

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all!

I walked a couple years ago, late 30s by myself. From SJPDP through Santiago to Fisterra and Muxia. I never actually felt unsafe. I had a few early dark mornings that I was high on guard, esp if leaving very early through a bigger city, but never had an actual issue. I walked very few kms with anyone, by choice. With comrades you should be in a place you feel even safer.

I'm a 60-yr. old female who traveled the CF solo, for the first time in Sept 2022. I wasn't sure how the dorm sleeping and showering would work out, but it worked just fine. I stayed in shared dorms about 60% of the time, and 3 or 4 of those were in all-female dorms. I often preferred the dorms over the private rooms. It meant I got meet people, chat about the day over a meal, etc. I was only a little uncomfortable on the trail a couple of times: once when an overly boastful and talkative man wouldn't leave me alone. I stopped to take a break and he went on, but had formulated my thoughts around my response should we run into each other again. I'd intended to say, I'm sorry but I just need to spend some time alone with my thoughts. I was cautious, appropriately, I think, and would encourage you to always trust your spidey-sense. Especially in October, I found myself leaving before dawn, and besides a good headlamp, I'd suggest looking around, and behind you periodically. You don't need to worry when you see someone coming, but you should be aware if someone is coming up behind you. It may give you some added comfort to let them pass and follow behind. Very much agree with staying in Orisson. I met wonderful people there who I continued to cross paths with the whole journey. And like others, I kept my passport and money on me at all times ... sleeping, shower, everywhere!
Be smart, and you'll be absolutely fine.

The Way gives you a choice, you can walk alone or with someone, you can start early or later, you can stop for coffee or not, sleep in an albergue or hotel, carry a backpack or send it by taxi .............

The choice is yours :)

€149,-
Hello all!

I went alone 22 years ago and will do so again this spring. I also have lived in Spain some years and some summers, unrelated to the Camino, and have always experienced it as blessedly safe. There are pickpockets on the subways, for which you just take the usual precautions, but violent crime is VERY rare, and there are no guns, so you don't have to worry about getting shot anywhere. I had no problems on the Camino. The only time I was remotely uncomfortable was this one day I was walking kind of up a hill along a country road, and there was this older man walking toward me (downhill) and he just seemed to be looking at me a little too much. As I passed him, I kept an eye on him by turning around to look back quite a bit, and he STILL seemed to be paying just too much attention to me, kept looking at me. Then I came face to face with the biggest cow I've ever seen, and behind that one, there were a couple dozen other cows. They'd just come over the hill and around a bend (so I hadn't seen them ahead). He was leading his cows back to his field and was probably just worried they would startle me, or concerned to keep them out of my way or something. There hadn't been any danger, even though something felt "off" about it to me at first.

One of the advantages of being an elderly solo female walker is that the sort of "attention" which can be very annoying if not frightening hardly affects you. When I was young and travelling alone in foreign places, if I encountered such attention I would ask a family, or a man old enough to be my father, to help if I ran into a persistent botherer. It happened rarely but the strategy always worked. And left me feeling very positive about other people, who are invariably kind if asked for help.

As others have said the Camino is very safe.
Thanks, BarbaraW.

One of the advantages of being an elderly solo female walker is that the sort of "attention" which can be very annoying if not frightening hardly affects you.
I entirely agree. I enjoy traveling now as a woman in my 70s more than I did in my 20s. I think your use of the word "attention" is very apt. You are not saying you are "safer", rather you are saying that a certain type of attention and threat is no longer there, and that is a relief.

Yes definately don’t think ‘old is safe’ with all due respect to older folks.
"Old" may not be safer from certain types of danger, but it is definitely safer from the annoying constant threats sexual harrasment from a small percentage of men.

My personal advice to any female solo walkers is not to waste waste precious time and well being by feeling cautious over solo male participants.
This is not good advice. Of course it is not a waste of precious time and well being for women to be cautious and aware of unknown men around them. Undue anxiety and fear is a totally different question.

The bottom line is: take normal precautions, but enjoy the fact that the Camino is very safe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are so many people walking the Francés at any given time. You will be very safe. The only suggestion I would make is to find a small front facing pack that you wear under your main pack. This would be big enough to hold your passport, wallet, phone and any other valuables you may have. This can stay with you at all times whether on a bathroom break at a cafe, or in your bed with you at night. Have a wonderful camino...they are life-changing!!
I carried my passport and a credit card and/or cash in the special bag I had for the passport. Wore it under top layer of clothes, across my body. Less critical things in a fanny pack or very light back pack. Heavier pack sent each day.

I entirely agree. I enjoy traveling now as a woman in my 70s more than I did in my 20s. I think your use of the word "attention" is very apt. You are not saying you are "safer", rather you are saying that a certain type of attention and threat is no longer there, and that is a relief.

"Old" may not be safer from certain types of danger, but it is definitely safer from the annoying constant threats sexual harrasment from a small percentage of men.

This is not good advice. Of course it is not a waste of precious time and well being for women to be cautious and aware of unknown men around them. Undue anxiety and fear is a totally different question.

The bottom line is: take normal precautions, but enjoy the fact that the Camino is very safe.
I don’t necessarily agree that younger men are more likely to be sexual harrasers than older ones and I think younger men ‘treat’ women far better than older ones, physically and verbally. But who knows it just a personal observation with no stats attached.

The Way gives you a choice, you can walk alone or with someone, you can start early or later, you can stop for coffee or not, sleep in an albergue or hotel, carry a backpack or send it by taxi .............

The choice is yours :)
Of course, but the point is that females have to do a lot more planning to excercise these these options.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm happy and excited for you!!

Congrats and welcome to the forum - you've come to the right place for information (and LOTS of opinions, LOL) on your journey.

I have always chosen to walk solo on my Caminos and have, obviously, lived to tell the tale. My first Camino was a life changing experience and I am sure it will be for you.

I ONLY stayed in albergues for the first 2, although this last one I stayed in privates twice for rest days. You are going to have SO MANY STORIES to share about your albergue experiences. However, don't be surprised if the only people who really understand are those who have "been there, done that" here on the forum - "outsiders" won't get it.

You may find a Camino family, you may not. It's impossible to say. However, you WILL meet new people every day and will often want to walk with them - and they with you.

My rule of thumb was, even when I was absolutely alone on the Camino as far as the eye could see, to wait 10 minutes and another pilgrim will come along. I found it to always be true.

Feel free to ask any questions here and Buen Camino!!

I walked alone. On the Frances at 82; Portuguese at 85. No issues, though one time a man wanted to talk with me and I just walked on. Stayed in Municipal albergues and private ones. Frigid Muni was least pleasant experience. Pleasant conversations at meals occasionally. Decided my age gave me permission to take a local bus or train a time or two. Shared a taxi once. Many pleasant memories and wishing I were able to go again. Appreciate being able to lurk here in the background for vicarious pleasure. Wishing all of you great walks and memories.

I walked alone. On the Frances at 82; Portuguese at 85. No issues, though one time a man wanted to talk with me and I just walked on. Stayed in Municipal albergues and private ones. Frigid Muni was least pleasant experience. Pleasant conversations at meals occasionally. Decided my age gave me permission to take a local bus or train a time or two. Shared a taxi once. Many pleasant memories and wishing I were able to go again. Appreciate being able to lurk here in the background for vicarious pleasure. Wishing all of you great walks and memories.
Hi Jane
Thank you for sharing. I have thought about the problem of having a spirit that is alive enough to do the Camino yet having a body that will not cooperate. Right now it is one of my great fears. Thank you for "lurking" in the background and enlightening us as you take cover there. I am reminded of the movie "I'll Push You" where a friend pushes his paralyzed friend along the Camino. Thank goodness there are many videos on Youtube that can transport you to the Camino in an instant.
Thank you Jane
Mark

I have walked CF solo a few times and felt very, very safe.

Safe yes, but as others have said keep your wits about you.

Please take: passport, bank cards, phone, and money everywhere you go. Even take items into the shower in a waterproof bag.

I was surprised how often I felt cared for by locals and other pilgrims.

Take as much time and as many pictures as you are able.

Have a wonderful time.

Buen camino.
Thank you for answering! I was seeing answer after answer from guys and thinking that the request was for answers from "all the single ladies". I can say how safe I felt and found it, but I think the experience of other women walking solo would be a lot more meaningful in this context. Thanks for stepping up.

Hi @Kcorbharas!
I was 60 when I walked the Camino Frances solo. The wonderful thing about doing it solo was that I could easily choose when I wanted to be with others (that was NEVER a problem) and when I wanted to walk alone and be fully with myself.

I made some wonderful lifelong friends on the Camino, and I also had the opportunity to get closer to my "higher" self through solitary walks. I never, ever felt afraid or threatened. I did feel lonely a few times, but only at the beginning. By the time I was over half way I spent a night completely alone (not even the hospitalera!) in a private albergue -- no tv, no book, no phone, no computer, no internet (you get the picture) and although I was alone, I did not feel at all lonely.

I stayed in municipal albergues, parochial albergues, private albergues and, when I needed a break, once or twice in hotels. There were positive aspects to each choice - although I froze my tush off in a parochial albergue in Pamplona because I was out enjoying the tapas and wine and didn't get back in time to get a blanket. :) (If you aren't bringing a sleeping bag, be sure to ask for a blanket! Most albergues have them)

Buen Camino amiga! I'm sure you'll have an amazing journey!
DJ

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.