• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All Trails App

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Someone was telling me about the all-trails app on this forum and I can’t seem to find it. I believe they said you could download maps ahead and then when walking will access where you are and where the actual Camino path is if you get off track. I checked the App Store but it didn’t explain it very well. Any thoughts? I definitely want an app that shows the actual Camino and locates where I am.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wouldn't use All Trails for the Camino when there are a number of dedicated Camino apps (some of them are free) with the entire route in GPS which you can download and use offline.
The two that I use most are Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim.
I've heard that people like Camino Ninja, but I haven't used it yet.

Another advantage that the apps that I mention have over All Trails is that you can see the other streets in the area so that you can easily find your way back to the trail if you happen to stray.

You can see the yellow line of the Camino through Pamplona, including locations of albergues in this screen shot from the Buen Camino app.

Screenshot_20220318-181348_Buen Camino.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wouldn't use All Trails for the Camino when there are a number of dedicated Camino apps (some of them are free) with the entire route in GPS which you can download and use offline.
The two that I use most are Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim.
I've heard that people like Camino Ninja, but I haven't used it yet.
The feature I want is the gps tracking, showing where I am and where the trail is. Do you know if these apps have this. I think AllTrails you can download maps to use offline and the gps still works even offline. (That’s my understanding, not sure if it’s accurate).

I use All Trails but for bushwalking locally here, not for Spain.

The feature I want is the gps tracking, showing where I am and where the trail is. Do you know if these apps have this. I think AllTrails you can download maps to use offline and the gps still works even offline. (That’s my understanding, not sure if it’s accurate).
Yes. They all have GPS tracking showing your location on the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also, on the Buen Camino app each city and town has its own page with general information and listing for accommodations, including their contact information.
And at the top of the screen it shows the distance to the next town in real time as you are walking.
Screenshot_20220318-181751_Buen Camino.jpg

Yes, they do. I tend to use Wise Pilgrim. You download the maps when you have wifi and they are there offline. As you walk the app locates you in relation to the trail. With accommodation (including telephone numbers and links to booking services) and all other services, It also gives you written clues if there are any difficult spots or inconsistencies in the trail.

they said you could download maps ahead and then when walking will access where you are and where the actual Camino path is if you get off track
There are numerous apps that do this. As mentioned above, some apps are made specifically for the more popular camino routes and include additional camino information.

Other apps (such as maps.me) allow you to download maps to your phone, and then download route files or "tracks" ("kmI" files) that you can get from various sources including Wikilocs or the forum Resources, or emailed from a friend.

All of these apps use your phone's GPS so you can follow the blue dot.

Browse through the threads that are tagged "maps gps and tracks" to find more information.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When it comes to camino apps, remember the apps purpose.
1. There are apps for trekking, they keep you on a track.
2. There are apps for recording, they make your track.
3. There are apps for the camino, which contain camino specific information. Most to all of these do #1 also, and the better ones also provide information about the places along the way.

I use AlpineQuest for this, the purchased version
It's based of googlemaps, and you can superimpose a variety of layers on top. I typically use a topographical and a hiking map. All the caminos are on it. I always know within 3 meters where I am in relation to any hiking, walking or cycling trail depending on the map/layers displayed. Couldn't get lost if I tried.
It allows you to download areas you specify to whatever scale/detail you want.
It'll record your journey, but will not give you directions.
Best €5 I spent for maps.

I use the old Guthooks App which now is called FarOut. It worked flawlessly on both previous Caminos and I will definitely use it again this year 😁

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm using the Alltrails app in the UK for my 'training regime' ahead of my Camino in May/June and I really like it.
The interface (and maps) are clean and intuitive and there are lots of reviews by other walkers.
A downside for me is that the routes for the Variante Espiritual (my chosen route) are a bit short in supply.
And if you want to download maps and receive an audible warning you need to upgrade to their 'Pro' version which cost me around £30 sterling for a year. I figured it was worth it and I've found a lot of new walks near my home which I didn't even know existed.
If you are interested in Alltrails my suggestion would be that you download the free version and try it. This will allow you to follow trails using gps, to see if you like it and (importantly) to check out what trails are available for your Camino. Okay, so you won't have downloaded maps or a beep/message to warn you when you wander but you'll have enough to see if it's something that will work for you.

Love to hear what you think about it.

Someone was telling me about the all-trails app on this forum and I can’t seem to find it. I believe they said you could download maps ahead and then when walking will access where you are and where the actual Camino path is if you get off track. I checked the App Store but it didn’t explain it very well. Any thoughts? I definitely want an app that shows the actual Camino and locates where I am.
I use all trails for other things but the Far Out (Guthook) app is brilliant for the Camino. The GPS locater is amazingly accurate. You can download 3 different maps for off line reading, it has main and alternative routes in different couloirs and it also has water sources, places to stay and a really helpful gradient faunction so you can see the profile of what’s ahead

You do have to purchase the Camino track in the app which gets updated as things change

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Try Trailsmart. U can buy offline maps if you so choose. It works in airplane mode. It lists accommodations. Stores pharmacies etc... Also it has albergues hotels with phone numbers addresses etc... And it shows you where you are on the trail and it also list alternatives routes.

Yes, they do. I tend to use Wise Pilgrim. You download the maps when you have wifi and they are there offline. As you walk the app locates you in relation to the trail. With accommodation (including telephone numbers and links to booking services) and all other services, It also gives you written clues if there are any difficult spots or inconsistencies in the trail.
Hi,
Does the Wise Pilgrim app work for the Portuguese or Le Puy routes? (I leave in July for my 3rd camino and haven't yet decided which route I will take - any opinions would be welcome. I'm torn between Lisbon-Santiago, Le Puy to SJPDP, or a return to the Frances.)

Hi,
Does the Wise Pilgrim app work for the Portuguese or Le Puy routes? (I leave in July for my 3rd camino and haven't yet decided which route I will take - any opinions would be welcome. I'm torn between Lisbon-Santiago, Le Puy to SJPDP, or a return to the Frances.)
There are Wise Pilgrim apps for different routes. There is one for the Portuguese (it includes all the main routes in Portugal) but I don't think there is one for the Le Puy. In France for the Le Puy and other routes I used maps.me with the route downloaded each day, or iPhiGenie. Neither of those have accommodation - they are simply mapping apps that geotag your progress, so you can see if you are straying off the path. We did a fair bit of "off piste" walking in France (deliberately, we often wanted to see things that were off the route). In France I have always relied on Miam Miam Dodo for accommodation, meals, services etc. It comes in a book but is also available now in an app - but the maps are just diagrammatic. Or at least they used to be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are Wise Pilgrim apps for different routes. There is one for the Portuguese (it includes all the main routes in Portugal) but I don't think there is one for the Le Puy. In France for the Le Puy and other routes I used maps.me with the route downloaded each day, or iPhiGenie. Neither of those have accommodation - they are simply mapping apps that geotag your progress, so you can see if you are straying off the path. We did a fair bit of "off piste" walking in France (deliberately, we often wanted to see things that were off the route). In France I have always relied on Miam Miam Dodo for accommodation, meals, services etc. It comes in a book but is also available now in an app - but the maps are just diagrammatic. Or at least they used to be.
Hi.

I'm new to maps.me. I've been searching all over for maps of the Le Puy route, but I can't seem to find anything that claims to be reasonably up to date. Any recommendations on where I look?

Thanks in advance for help anyone can provide.

Hi.

I'm new to maps.me. I've been searching all over for maps of the Le Puy route, but I can't seem to find anything that claims to be reasonably up to date. Any recommendations on where I look?

Thanks in advance for help anyone can provide.
You might try the website of the Dutch Confraternity. I keep all the routes in Spain on my phone, and find they are reasonably good. The website can be a bit confusing, but I think that if you scroll down this page, you will find a file with the routes in France.

Have you looked on Wikiloc?

You might try the website of the Dutch Confraternity. I keep all the routes in Spain on my phone, and find they are reasonably good. The website can be a bit confusing, but I think that if you scroll down this page, you will find a file with the routes in France.

Have you looked on Wikiloc?
Thanks, but when I look on that site only two maps refer to "Podiensis" or "Le Puy", and when I downloaded them they were not the routes from Le Puy to SJPDP.

I haven't tried Wikiloc yet. Everyone here seemed to mention maps.me, so I was focused on that app for right now.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
when I look on that site only two maps refer to "Podiensis" or "Le Puy", and when I downloaded them they were not the routes from Le Puy to SJPDP.
Have you tried downloading "All Pilgrim Routes in France"?
Capture3.JPG

The image below shows what I get. There is an orange route from Le Puy in the upper right corner, to SJPP which would be off the image, in the lower left.
Capture2.JPG

It does. This guide is part of the free series I started and is more of a directory than a guide. But the maps work and they work offline.

Here is a link to the app on the app stores

https://onelink.to/3mbsak

Thanks, but when I look on that site only two maps refer to "Podiensis" or "Le Puy", and when I downloaded them they were not the routes from Le Puy to SJPDP.

I haven't tried Wikiloc yet. Everyone here seemed to mention maps.me, so I was focused on that app for right now.
Did you scroll all the way down on the downloadpage?
There you will find Voorzieningen route Vezelay - Saint Jean Pied de Port (via Le Puy en Velay).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Did you scroll all the way down on the downloadpage?
There you will find Voorzieningen route Vezelay - Saint Jean Pied de Port (via Le Puy en Velay).
Wise pilgrim has an app for the Podiensis (Le Puy to SJPdP). Works like a charm

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.