• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All-year opened albergues on Camino Frances

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hi there, fellow peregrinos!

When I was reading threads on walking in "off-season" and especially during winter most of the questions (apart from equipment of course) were related to accommodation possibilities and therefore higher costs. Because I couldn't found any (but maybe there is!!!) list of albergues opened not only between let's say April - October period, I decided to do it myself.

I used Gronze and Eroski sites for majority of info so in my list there could be mistakes if mentioned sites wasn't updated. I, surprisingly, discovered that it isn't all that hard to find accommodation even in the winter time. From SJPdP to SdC there are 177 albergues in 111 locations opened in this period. Of course the number would've been lower if I'd go for "todo el ano" albergues. Instead my criteria was around 10 months/year and albergues where you have to check for availability in off-season.

It was also interested to find out that only 4 "long" stages (without opened albergue) are on CF in the winter:
1.) 23,1km: Leon - Villar de Mazarife,
2.) 22,6km: Leon - Villadangos del Paramo,
3.) 21,1km: Estella - Los Arcos,
4.) 19,5km: Huntto - Roncesvalles

The list is roughly organized like this:
- distance in kms from last mentioned location (kms regarding to Brierley...),
- name of the location (village, city etc.)
- name of the albergue (some diferencies between Gronze and Eroski here)
- type (muni = municipal, pari = parochial, priv = private etc.)
- number of places (mostly for "literas y camas")
- cost €/night (which vary from bunkbeds to regular beds, main season - off season etc.) with notion if breakfast is included (= B incl.)
- usually most useable/needed facilities:
K = kitchen
L & S = lavadora & secadora (usually "de pago")
B = bicycle storage
@ = internet (usually "de pago")
W = Wi-Fi
R = restaurant/bar/cafeteria (within albergue)
P = private accommodation (within albergue)
(when there are question marks in this section that means that the albergue was only listed at Eroski site which has no special mentions of internet or Wi-Fi availability)
- some exclusions or terms of using the facility (period-wise)

I didn't have time nor nerves to add links, telephone numbers etc. to the list :eek: You can easily find them on mentioned web-sites.

One more thing - since I'm an IT idiot the list was made in Word Document format and for upload I did transfer it to .pdf. So if anyone would want (or like) to transform it to Excel you have my GO :)

Ultreia!

Attachments

• All year albergues.pdf
    167.8 KB · Views: 92
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The information in Gronze, Eroski, and Mundicamino is not accurate, and albergues do not seem to correct it. Even the owner-occupied albergues may close spontaneously if there are no pilgrims. They do not seem to feel an obligation to wait around all day to see if a pilgrim shows up. For 5E would you? (rhetorical question)

If you do not call ahead, you may be disappointed on arrival.:)

"When I was reading threads on walking in "off-season" and especially during winter most of the questions (apart from equipment of course) were related to accommodation possibilities and therefore higher costs. Because I couldn't found any (but maybe there is!!!) list of albergues opened not only between let's say April - October period, I decided to do it myself ".

Thank you KinkyOne. I am travelling off season and this will be of great help :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The information in Gronze, Eroski, and Mundicamino is not accurate, and albergues do not seem to correct it. Even the owner-occupied albergues may close spontaneously if there are no pilgrims. They do not seem to feel an obligation to wait around all day to see if a pilgrim shows up. For 5E would you? (rhetorical question)

Hi Falcon269.
Just to clarify. Do I have to call ahead to each albergue I hope to stay at if I am traveling in the off season? Even though they state open all year? Would this apply whether they are municipal, private etc?
Thanks in advance.
Karen

In towns with more than one albergue, usually one is open. By calling you can determine which one. The good municipal in Azofra closes, but they open up the church albergue. Calling ahead won't do you any good there because no one is at the phones. You just show up and get help finding the key. The same problem may occur in other places. Municipals that are unmanned may be opened for you if you call ahead on a workday during business hours. Private ones try to make money, so they are more likely to be closed for the season than the municipals.

I've never walked in winter, but from reading the blogs and posts of those who do, it seems that usually the place where you stay one night will help you find the next night's place and so on. That is, that the owners of the open places know who the other open places are, and are happy to share this information. I don't know if you have read the blog of the couple who has now walked twice in Dec-Jan, http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/ but their posts describe how they did it, and I think you will get a sense that it can be done without too much anxiety.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In towns with more than one albergue, usually one is open. By calling you can determine which one. The good municipal in Azofra closes, but they open up the church albergue. Calling ahead won't do you any good there because no one is at the phones. You just show up and get help finding the key. The same problem may occur in other places. Municipals that are unmanned may be opened for you if you call ahead on a workday during business hours. Private ones try to make money, so they are more likely to be closed for the season than the municipals.

OK. Good advice. Thank you :)

I've never walked in winter, but from reading the blogs and posts of those who do, it seems that usually the place where you stay one night will help you find the next night's place and so on. That is, that the owners of the open places know who the other open places are, and are happy to share this information. I don't know if you have read the blog of the couple who has now walked twice in Dec-Jan, http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/ but their posts describe how they did it, and I think you will get a sense that it can be done without too much anxiety.

That's reassuring to know. I will take a look at the blog also. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I haven't walked the CF in winter, but kind of agree with you @falcon269. I mean I do understand the financial aspect of albergue's owners. But there sure are some albergues where owners live in the same building so I guess there is no problem to open it up to a single peregrino. Well, maybe not. Because it was really bad money-wise year for me I began to think of doing winter Camino (maybe I'll win on Lottery some time soon :p) and therefore I've made this list as kind of an experiment. And all comments will be gratefully accepted!

B.

so I guess there is no problem to open it up to a single peregrino.
Generally, they will open for you, but only if they know you are coming. Otherwise, they may head for dinner with friends in the next village. They do not wait around all day, seven days a week, hoping to have a needy pilgrim drop in.:)

As an answer to the mix of parts of comments posted I want to add that the list I've made is "mas o meno" the experiment that there are most likely no stretches without (budget) accommodation on CF for 20+ kms. Well, maybe there are some up to 25km ;)

Of course it all depends on number of pilgrims in that period. If there would be many the owners will be more aware of this fact and keep their albergues available. With previous reservation or on spot demand, whatever...

But there are always Casas Rurales, Hoteles and such, so don't give up!

Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back