• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All your Backpack questions and Answers 1 Thread

Dulcidio Gonzalez

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully September 2015
Buen Camino! ( You can write either English or Spanish) witch best works for you.

This is my first post and i have read a lot of information about backpacks on this site, but I'm still haven't decide what should my wife and I purchase for our Camino this year.

1. How much does the backpack has to weight empty?
2. Is it OK if it's a 3 pounds BP? Empty off course!
3. How much does the backpack has to weight Full (Men) ? To be Comfortable.
4. How much does the backpack has to weight Full (Women) ? To be Comfortable.
4. Brand Suggestions?
5 Size Suggestions? 32 Lt, 38 Lt, 42 Lt and so on.
6 I already went to a North Face Store and liked a 50 Lt. I wore it for the hour that I was at the Store, but weights 3.1 pounds per detail information on the web. The heaviest the backpack, the less things will be able to pack!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my question. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Size depends on how much you are bringing. You won't need much. A change of clothes, rain gear, sandals, a lightweight sleeping bag and a few other things. I found around 40 liters to be fine. Lightweight backpacks tend to sacrifice durability and comfort for the sake of weight. I have a Gossamer Gear Gorilla which weights about 750 grams but might not be as comfortable or as long-lasting as my Lowe-Alpine 37 which weights 1.5 kilos. Check out Gossamer Gear, Osprey and Zpacks.com for some lightweight gear. In terms of weight, the lighter the better. In general people talk about a backpack (fully loaded) weighing about 10% of the person's bodyweight, male or female. But you can go a lot lighter than that, or you can go a lot heavier than that. Have a look through the forums.

Have a look at this website written by a very experienced camper. In this particular post he talks about buying a new backpack. Enjoy.

http://popupbackpacker.com/backpacking/gear/mchale-lbp-36/

I narrowed down my search by not looking at any pack over 2lbs. empty.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A 50 liter backpack sounds too big. You could easily use one less than 40 liters. I used a 48 liter backpack last summer on the Camino and it was too big. I could have easily used one around 32-35 liters in size.
In my opinion the weight of the backpack empty is less important than the weight of it full. I would say for either a man or woman, try to keep your backpack under 10 kilos in weight when full.

After two previous and heavier Osprey packs, I've settled on the Osprey Exos 48 (about 1 kg depending on size). You do not need a 50L pack designed to carry 40 pounds or more -- because the pack itself is heavier. Believe me, your back can feel the difference even 200g (half pound) makes, at the end of a long day. Pay attention to that weight budget, it will really make a difference in your Camino experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I second the Osprey Exos. Here is a review of that pack.

Size depends on what you have to carry. If it is just change clothes and water/food - typically 35l for women, 40-45l for men.
It is always good to have some spare room in the pack. Volume of the pack only matters if it increases the pack weight significantly. Getting a pack that fits your torso length is important.

Last edited:
When you plan to go is important in determining the size of pack needed. I wouldn't have wanted anything any larger than my 33 because I only took one change of clothes and a sleep sack rather than a sleeping bag.

English Camino and Portuguese camino with a Osprey Talon 40 pack. Weighs 1K will carry 20K. I try to carry less than 8K. I will use it for my next camino (French). You didn't say where you are from but if in the US check out REI. Great exchange policy.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A 50 liter backpack sounds too big. You could easily use one less than 40 liters. I used a 48 liter backpack last summer on the Camino and it was too big. I could have easily used one around 32-35 liters in size.
In my opinion the weight of the backpack empty is less important than the weight of it full. I would say for either a man or woman, try to keep your backpack under 10 kilos in weight when full.

I'm going to disagree with you that a 50 liter pack is too big. I took a 48 liter pack (Probably the same one as you) on the Camino and found it was too small. Once I got my clothes and sleeping bag inside, there was little room for anything else. I had to use compression sacks to fit everything. Because of this, I basically had 2 bowling balls in my pack and using the little room I had left, I found there was only 1 way to pack all my gear in my bag that would keep the compression sacks centered. If I had 5 or 10 more liters to play with, I could have used just regular stuff sacks to better distribute the weight.

Comfort over weight, every single time. Above everything else, you need a pack that is comfortable to wear all day everyday for the duration of your Camino. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I'd rather carry around 50 pounds in well-fitting pack than 20 pounds in an ill-fitting pack.

4. Brand Suggestions?
6 I already went to a North Face Store and liked a 50 Lt. I wore it for the hour that I was at the Store, but weights 3.1 pounds per detail information on the web. The heaviest the backpack, the less things will be able to pack!
1. It depends. Backpack weights vary significantly, depending on factors like harness design, pack material thickness, etc. The Camino does not need a robust pack which is going to withstand rough use, and packs with lighter materials and construction survive quite well.
2. It depends. Typical weights are between 25 gm/li and 35 gm/li. You might expect a robustly built 40 li pack to weigh around 1.4 kg, or a lightweight pack around 55 li. Whether the latter would be comfortable fully loaded for long distances might be debatable.
3 & 4. I prefer to use from the skin out measures, where all equipment being carried is measured. If you can keep your FSO weight at or below 20% of your body mass, you should be reasonably comfortable. Less is always better.
4 (again). I prefer Deuter, which are generally more robust and suitable for the bushwalking that I do. Osprey make good lighter weight packs, but there are plenty of reasonable brands available. Try as many as you can with the load you plan to take on the camino.
5. My rule of thumb: Take your bodyweight in kg, halve it and use that number as the size pack (in litres) for a summer camino. Add around 25% to that for a spring or autumn camino.
6. There is always a balance to be struck between being able to carry more because the harness is more comfortable (and heavier) and carrying more because the pack is lighter. It is not simple!

last week checked out the new antigravity (AG) suspension what Osprey introduced this year in Atmos/Aura packs. have to say I was pretty impressed. the packs are heavier than before, but feel very, very comfortable. compared both Atmos 65 AG and my old Osprey Stratos 34 loaded with 12kg. I like Stratos very much, but Atmos was a clear winner. may be they are kind of overkill for camino walking, but now I feel strong temptation to get one for this year hiking holidays.
(I am not related neither to Osprey nor any other equipment manufacturer)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm going to disagree with you that a 50 liter pack is too big. I took a 48 liter pack (Probably the same one as you) on the Camino and found it was too small. Once I got my clothes and sleeping bag inside, there was little room for anything else. I had to use compression sacks to fit everything. Because of this, I basically had 2 bowling balls in my pack and using the little room I had left, I found there was only 1 way to pack all my gear in my bag that would keep the compression sacks centered. If I had 5 or 10 more liters to play with, I could have used just regular stuff sacks to better distribute the weight.

Comfort over weight, every single time. Above everything else, you need a pack that is comfortable to wear all day everyday for the duration of your Camino. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I'd rather carry around 50 pounds in well-fitting pack than 20 pounds in an ill-fitting pack.
Yeah, sounds like you carried way more stuff than I did.
I had no sleeping bag or even a liner on my last Camino. Only had 1 pair of long pants, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 short sleeve t-shirts, 1 long sleeve t-shirt, 3 pair underwear, lightweight rain jacket, cap, hiking towel, hiking shoes, sandals, 3 pairs of socks, a few toiletries and such, camera, phone and guidebook. That's total gear combined and when you remove whatever I was wearing from the list it only fills up about half the pack uncompressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you will read elsewhere, it really comes down to what feels best for you. I think Osprey is a great product, but once I tried on all the options, I realized Gregory was the best for me. All of the most comfortable options (for me) were about the 2.10 -3.0 lbs weight. So I realized weight of the pack was not the deciding factor.

I settled on the Gregory J38 - I started with a J65 and it was just way too big in terms of volume. I think there is plenty of extra room with only 38L (if the 33L was an option, I would have purchased it). I bought the Gregory because the fame was the most comfortable on my back. I liked the space between the frame and my back for temp control and for me, it supports weights the best on my body.

Go try them all on and take a sample of you "worst case scenario" packing items and see if they all fit.

Happy hunting!

Yeah, sounds like you carried way more stuff than I did.
I had no sleeping bag or even a liner on my last Camino. Only had 1 pair of long pants, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 short sleeve t-shirts, 1 long sleeve t-shirt, 3 pair underwear, lightweight rain jacket, cap, hiking towel, hiking shoes, sandals, 3 pairs of socks, a few toiletries and such, camera, phone and guidebook. That's total gear combined and when you remove whatever I was wearing from the list it only fills up about half the pack uncompressed.
hi mark,,you stated no rucksack,,i,m leaving for my 1st camino in a month,,jus wandering wether i need 1 ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As you will read elsewhere, it really comes down to what feels best for you. I think Osprey is a great product, but once I tried on all the options, I realized Gregory was the best for me. All of the most comfortable options (for me) were about the 2.10 -3.0 lbs weight. So I realized weight of the pack was not the deciding factor.

I settled on the Gregory J38 - I started with a J65 and it was just way too big in terms of volume. I think there is plenty of extra room with only 38L (if the 33L was an option, I would have purchased it). I bought the Gregory because the fame was the most comfortable on my back. I liked the space between the frame and my back for temp control and for me, it supports weights the best on my body.

Go try them all on and take a sample of you "worst case scenario" packing items and see if they all fit.

Happy hunting!
THANK YOU very much for your detail answer.

hi mark,,you stated no rucksack,,i,m leaving for my 1st camino in a month,,jus wandering wether i need 1 ?
I had an REI 48L Crestrail pack. Good pack, but too big for the stuff I had in it. Could have gotten away with one around 35L.
By the way, I do recommend taking at least a sleeping bag liner. In retrospect I would have taken one, small and lightweight.

Buen Camino! ( You can write either English or Spanish) witch best works for you.

This is my first post and i have read a lot of information about backpacks on this site, but I'm still haven't decide what should my wife and I purchase for our Camino this year.

4. Brand Suggestions?

As everyone has said -- it totally depends and you can see that lots of folks do things differently. I took an REI Flash 50 pack for an April Camino in 2013. I carried about 8 kilos including a sleeping bag and not including water or snacks. I carried a long sleeve fleece, mittens, long underwear, fleece hat, etc. I was fine. But I decided I wanted to carry less. For my upcoming Camino I am carrying and Osprey Kestral (yes its a men's pack, I know, but the length was good and the hip belt fit me better than the women's version). Mine is a size small which is just over 30 liters. I can comfortably get all my gear in it. I am carrying a 13 oz. Sea to Summit Travel sack instead of my sleeping bag and only a fleece vest, no long underwear, etc . My total pack weight is about 5.5 kilos.

Liz

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had an REI 48L Crestrail pack. Good pack, but too big for the stuff I had in it. Could have gotten away with one around 35L.
By the way, I do recommend taking at least a sleeping bag liner. In retrospect I would have taken one, small and lightweight.
ahh,i meant sleeping bag,,doh....but you answered the Q,,thanks mark

last week checked out the new antigravity (AG) suspension what Osprey introduced this year in Atmos/Aura packs. have to say I was pretty impressed. the packs are heavier than before, but feel very, very comfortable. compared both Atmos 65 AG and my old Osprey Stratos 34 loaded with 12kg. I like Stratos very much, but Atmos was a clear winner. may be they are kind of overkill for camino walking, but now I feel strong temptation to get one for this year hiking holidays. . .
I've tried to make a similar point about pack sizes and suspension systems.

My current favorite backpack is my Mammut Creon Light (about 1kg empty) in 45Liter capacity. Some say it is too large for the Camino but I see no reason to buy a new backpack. My pack has a suspension system that allows for COMFORTABLE carrying up to 22 pounds (10kg). Some packs have suspension systems that allow for comfortable carry of only 1/2 that weight, others for double or triple that weight. The Osprey Atmos/Aura packs have weight capacities that easily exceed the capacity of my pack and that means that someone can comfortably carry more weight if they choose to do so.

So the effective LOAD CAPACITY of a pack has a lot to do with the COMFORT of the pack. I am a huge fan of Gossomer Gear and their products. They have packs that weigh less than 1 pound (0.4kg) but some of those packs have an effective capacity of only 5 pounds/2.2kg!!!

Whatever you do, find a bag that actually FITS you, and also FITS your gear, and also has the capacity to CARRY your gear.

I switched from Deuter futura pro 42 to Osprey talon 33 due to former being half empty (started full but gradually become emptier and emptier as all might needs were removed) and due to being close to the carry on baggage size limits (just cut the cardboard box with dimensions of carry on limits for testing; and maybe consider cost of checked luggage and cost of smaller backpack).
Talon 33 weighs ~0,88-0,89kg and raincover UL size S is another 0,07kg compared to 1,77kg of Deuter.
Deuter has more comfortable padding, hip belt etc, but Osprey's are also great especially with less weight in it and additional pockets.

Anyway I've found it by trial and error by having lot of full loaded walks and lot of time for preparation. Now also 33l seems a lot.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My Z Pack with two extra pockets is 52 liters fully expanded and weighs 1 lb 4 oz. It has sealed seams and does not need a rain cover. It has a full suspension and is comfortable as a pack can be at 30 lbs, the most I've had in it.

My Z Pack with two extra pockets is 52 liters fully expanded and weighs 1 lb 4 oz. It has sealed seams and does not need a rain cover. It has a full suspension and is comfortable as a pack can be at 30 lbs, the most I've had in it.
Everything I have seen about the ZPacks is great, the biggest drawbacks I have with them are the high price. I know you pay for quality and pay for the fabric and carbon fiber technology, but I don't think most people are willing to spend that much $$$ for a pack unless they are committed backpackers.

At some point I'd love to try one of the ZPacks or maybe a Gossomer Gear packs. Either would be good Camino packs, the structure in the ZPack, with the carbon fiber frame, probably would carry loads better than the GG packs.

I don't think most people are willing to spend that much $$$ for a pack unless they are committed backpackers.

Or just getting older and relying technology to stave off the decline for a few years! I shutter to think about the loads I carried when I was young.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Or just getting older and relying technology to stave off the decline for a few years! I shutter to think about the loads I carried when I was young.
which model do you recommend? Problem i have with zpacks is that i cannot try the different models and they have a long waiting period. I have a big upper/belly and don't know which harness will fit best?

We have the Zpack arc blast. They have some pretty good fitting instructions, and make adjustments for virtually no charge. When a cat at a gite ate through my mesh pocket to get some jambon bayonne, they fixed that for free too. Contact them before ordering and they'll really try to get it right the first time.

Hey all, this thread has been a big help as I look to replace my old pack for a newer one. As an FYI (maybe you all knew this) I was trying to get a rough estimate for sizes (liters) and carry on limits. I looked at a few airline dimensions. I know they all differ slightly, but for example, American Airlines 22" x 14" x 9" equals 45 liters (more or less). So.... bigger than 45 L might need to be squeezed in and smaller ought to work just about everywhere. Weight is a whole other discussion.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
. . . I know they all differ slightly, but for example, American Airlines 22" x 14" x 9" equals 45 liters (more or less). So.... bigger than 45 L might need to be squeezed in and smaller ought to work just about everywhere. . .
I'm going to have to throw out a huge CAUTION warning to folks.

While your estimate may be correct on the volume, that does not effectively translate into backpack liter size.

Just happened to throw a tape measure on my 45 Liter backpack about 2 weeks ago and found out that it is 27" tall, or long. That means that by "volume" my pack will fit, but by length it still does not qualify as a "carry-on" bag with the airlines.

Many of the airlines have a bag sizer at the gate, it is basically a fit/no-fit gauge for travellers. Now I might be able to sneak by 45 liter pack onto a flight, but if I have to put it into the bag sizer then its a no go. Similarly my daughter's 35liter internal frame backpack would also be a no-go, but only by about an inch or so. Probably could pretty easily sneak that onto a flight.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to throw out a huge CAUTION warning to folks.

While your estimate may be correct on the volume, that does not effectively translate into backpack liter size.

Just happened to throw a tape measure on my 45 Liter backpack about 2 weeks ago and found out that it is 27" tall, or long. That means that by "volume" my pack will fit, but by length it still does not qualify as a "carry-on" bag with the airlines.

Many of the airlines have a bag sizer at the gate, it is basically a fit/no-fit gauge for travellers. Now I might be able to sneak by 45 liter pack onto a flight, but if I have to put it into the bag sizer then its a no go. Similarly my daughter's 35liter internal frame backpack would also be a no-go, but only by about an inch or so. Probably could pretty easily sneak that onto a flight.
Both my Gregory 35 and my son's Gregory 40 squeezed into the Ryanair bag sizer - like you say length being the contentious issue.
Ryanair are the Nazis of carry on luggage.

. . . like you say length being the contentious issue. . .
And that is why I wanted to throw out that word of caution.

Depending upon the pack design, length can cause you grief. Alpine style packs are typically very long and narrow. Bookbags are typically squat and wide. Daypacks can vary anywhere in between.

I'd really hate to see someone try to fly with all their belonging in carry-on only to have their backpack, thrown into cargo, unprotected, at the gate.

Backpacks can survive the cargo hold, but its recommended to wrap them in shrink wrap (commercial Saran wrap) to contain the straps/belts, etc or to throw them into a cheap duffle bag that can be packed and carried, donated, or mailed ahead for a return trip.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nice to see the backpack subject get some airtime again. Isn't it strange how we love our bags, and love to extol / defend their virtues. But I suppose it stands to reason that if you've walked a camino (or 2) with a backpack that you'll have strong feelings about it.

For what it's worth: For my first camino I researched extensively and decided on the perfect bag. Only to change my mind when trying on the various options in the shop.

I still use an Osprey Kestrel 38 litre, and apart from the usual change of clothes and raingear etc. I also fit in a bulky CPAP machine. With good planning, and a few drybags it is perfectly possible. Total weight without water is around 8.5 kg.

Ready to board a plane back for a quick section of the Camino - TOMORROW! Hooray!

And that is why I wanted to throw out that word of caution.

Depending upon the pack design, length can cause you grief. Alpine style packs are typically very long and narrow. Bookbags are typically squat and wide. Daypacks can vary anywhere in between.

I'd really hate to see someone try to fly with all their belonging in carry-on only to have their backpack, thrown into cargo, unprotected, at the gate.

Backpacks can survive the cargo hold, but its recommended to wrap them in shrink wrap (commercial Saran wrap) to contain the straps/belts, etc or to throw them into a cheap duffle bag that can be packed and carried, donated, or mailed ahead for a return trip.

There are packs intended for carry on use. Many are horrible if you intend to carry it for any distance. But they maximize space allowed by the airlines. Tend to be light. Have features to make security easier. But they give up things like hip belts,access points etc.

Hiking packs aren't often designed for carry on use. So they aren't optimized for airline rules.

Some backpack companies (for example Gregory) make packs aimed at carry on use. But unless you often have a need for a carry on it's likely better to pick a "normal" pack and check it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are packs intended for carry on use. Many are horrible if you intend to carry it for any distance. But they maximize space allowed by the airlines. Tend to be light. Have features to make security easier. But they give up things like hip belts,access points etc.

Hiking packs aren't often designed for carry on use. So they aren't optimized for airline rules.

Some backpack companies (for example Gregory) make packs aimed at carry on use. But unless you often have a need for a carry on it's likely better to pick a "normal" pack and check it.

In September I walked with someone who had one of those dedicated carry-on bags. He hated it and we spent an afternoon in Logroño buying him a new bag.

I have walked with an Osprey that was large and found that I wanted to fill it up :( The Osprey was comfortable enough, but now I walk with either my Deuter Futura Pro 34 or Deuter ACT Lite 35+. I feel that the women's SL is a better fit for me than the Osprey, still relatively lightweight, and it comes with a pretty flower :) I'm a Deuter fan now! I always carry on the plane and have been able to keep the weight down to 18 lbs or less (including camping equipment--tent, sleeping quilts, sleeping pads--which my boyfriend and I balance out between us). Good luck in your choice!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My Family and I are doing our first Camino ever. We are trying to figure out the gear. Thank you for your great adivice. I came across this backpack and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the bag and the brand? It is very affordable (less than $100)

Altosy Outdoor Hiking Daypacks Climbing Cycling Backpack Waterproof
Mountaineering Bag 35l Unisex Travel Bag 8103

Last edited:
I'm an Osprey guy. I'm torn between bringing my Talon 44 or my Stratos 34 with me on my walk. I plan on packing my ENO hammock for nights when I wanna sleep under the Spanish Stars. :) But I'm a fairly light packer overall, so I think either one would do. The Talon gives me alittle more wiggle room, but the Stratos has the airscape mesh back panel & is definitely carryon friendly size wise. I've gotten the Talon on many flights as carryon, but it is a taller top loader, so there is always the chance of it getting flagged. The Stratos however doesn't have the stretch pocket on the front of the pack like the Talon does. That pocket comes in so handy when storing wet gear. The Stratos comes with an included rain over, but I checked, and it also fits the Talon, so if I decide to take the Talon, I can use it. It really is a toss up. Hmm. Decisions decisions.

Bien Camino everyone!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.