• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Allergies

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Took this picture this morning:
pollen-allergies-camino-de-santiago-468x340.jpg

Pollen season is here!

Buen Camino!
Ivar

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I returned from Spain last year with a severe sinus infection that took two months, two lots of anti-biotics, a nasal douch and decongestants to clear up.

If you are, or ever have been, allergic to anything - be it pollens, grasses, mites etc - take antihistamines with you. You might have out-grown local irritants but new grasses, plants, pollens, seeds etc could set you off big time.

I suffer hayfever here in Australia, but have never had problems in Europe, which I find quite strange.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had never suffered from hayfever in my life,so when it hit me on the Camino 2 years ago I thought it was a cold-seeing my streaming eyes and nose a Danish nurse give me a large dose of Antihistamines-it cleared overnight.
Antihistamines are now the first thing in my pack,handy for the bed-bugs too :)
Ian

Pollen counts have been exceptionally high in Spain. In spring you have all the flowers and in autumn, the harvest of cereals and wheat so there is a lot floating about in the air.
Last year in September I started sneezing almost as soon as we reached Galicia. We walked through logging in the eucalyptus forests with wood and bark dust settling on our clothing. Next time I'll wear a surgical mask!

We leave tomorrow & yes went to get something for my eyes, in the past I've nearly tried to pull them out. Last packing tonight, will be in Spain shortly & walking in just over 24hrs......... :arrow:

What times the first coffee after leaving Astorga on Monday morn :?:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Took my antihistamines and asthma medications with me from Canada because of a cat allergy and fear of being on the plane across the ocean with a cat in the cabin . . . needed them day one out of SJPDP last fall - because of the humidity, hay and livestock as we climbed!! Saved me that day, didn't need them after Pamplona!! So glad I had them . . . best of luck!

I never had allergies in all my many years till one day on the Via de la Plata. Since then I've had two similar attacks, both on the Vdlp or a camino, never at home in the US. I now carry with me the name and dosage of the super medicine that was prescribed and have found that the pharmacists are quite willing to sell it to me after I explain my situation.

buen camino, Laurie

p.s. And by the way, what in the world is Ivar's picture?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it's pollen dust on the hood (bonnet) of his car!

I had never suffered from hayfever in my life,so when it hit me on the Camino 2 years ago I thought it was a cold-seeing my streaming eyes and nose a Danish nurse give me a large dose of Antihistamines-it cleared overnight.
Antihistamines are now the first thing in my pack,handy for the bed-bugs too :)
Ian

You have convinced me. I'll bring the antihistamines but I am curious... how do you know if the bed-bugs have hay fever?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In spring you have all the flowers and in autumn, the harvest of cereals and wheat so there is a lot floating about in the air.

Sil, this sounds wonderful. I want to see you levitating.....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Started walking Hærvejen in Denmark two weeks ago but had to return home because of pollen trouble. So I see from Ivars picture that the camino in March is not for me. I have walked my caminos in May/June and August/October and not had problems

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.