• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Almeria to Santiago

Erik Anderson

Time of past OR future Camino
GR11 Hondarribia - Cabo de Creus
3 X CF SJPP to Finisterre
Camino Mozarabe, VP and Sanabres
I've walked from SJPP to Santiago three times, always in Spring, and am now planning to hike from Almeria to Santiago, starting in mid March 2017. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done the route and any recommendations for kit to include in the pack, particularly good places to camp or stay, and any relevant guides or mapping. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you; it's good to read encouraging reports. I've read a few reports of the route from Granada northwards but there is little on the route from Almeria. I'm primarily interested in the Alpujarras and crossing Sierra Nevada in later March. Any information will be gratefully received.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@alansykes posted his observations in the thread which should be either in Mozarabe subforum or in Live from the Camino.
Also @Magwood wrote blog from Mozarabe but I don't remember whether she started in Almeria.

Both sources are great read BTW!

Thank you for your reply and this information. I'll check out the site which I'm still to find my way around.

Hi Erik. Scrolling through the posts on the Mozarabe sub-forum where you are posting, you'll find a couple of "pinned to the top" threads. Kevin obrien's guide from Almeria as well as Alan's recent reports are both there. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-mozárabe.101/

You're right that there aren't many forum members who have walked from Almeria (Maggie has walked from Malaga) but there are a few with plans to walk it this spring. And then there are the real dreamers like me, who have April 2018 pegged as the starting date from Almeria.

Buen camino, and happy planning. hope you will regale us with stories and advice once you set out in March!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Erik. As stated above I walked the Mozárabe from Malaga last year. The routes from Malaga and Almeria converge just before Córdoba. I blogged every day from my camino and you might find the info from Córdoba to Santiago and Finisterre of interest. You are welcome to take a look at my blog, see link in signature line below.
Buen Camino

Hi Erik. Scrolling through the posts on the Mozarabe sub-forum where you are posting, you'll find a couple of "pinned to the top" threads. Kevin obrien's guide from Almeria as well as Alan's recent reports are both there. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-mozárabe.101/

You're right that there aren't many forum members who have walked from Almeria (Maggie has walked from Malaga) but there are a few with plans to walk it this spring. And then there are the real dreamers like me, who have April 2018 pegged as the starting date from Almeria.

Buen camino, and happy planning. hope you will regale us with stories and advice once you set out in March!

Hi Peregrina, I'll try to post things while en route. I'm supposedly planning but now I've got Wikiloc and Oruxmaps I just want to start. I'll use the interim period to try and get properly hill fit again. Buen Camino to you too.

Thank you Magwood; I'll definitely check out your blogs from your Camino. At this stage I have the concept but no firm plan and your information will be most welcome. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Erik. On this forum you will find some information from me in a few topics. I walked in April from Almeria to Merida. A very good time as it was not too hot. It is a splendid route. The last year more albergues were opened. Still in some towns there are only hostals. Be prepared for cold weather, a few river crossings and above all for meeting no other pilgrims. The interest for this Camino is growing but if someone starts two days before you, then you will not see him or her. Good Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just read your report which is most informative. Thank you again.

Well Erik. I had no rest days but I split some longer stages in two. The stages between Almeria and Granada are fine, with two exceptions 20 - 25 kilometer.

As I was at the Alhambra two times before and you have to book before on internet, I used the free time in Granada for other sightseeing.

I tried to avoid stages of above 30 km, and if possible I walked them in two days. Castro del Rio - Cordoba is above 40 but you can take the alternative via Santa Cruz.

Two times I had a very long stage of nearly 40 km but they were after Cordoba so I was very fit. I can imagine that after some weeks 35 is no probleem.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've walked from SJPP to Santiago three times, always in Spring, and am now planning to hike from Almeria to Santiago, starting in mid March 2017. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done the route and any recommendations for kit to include in the pack, particularly good places to camp or stay, and any relevant guides or mapping. Thank you.

Hi, Erik, The Almeria Association has just published an updated list of accommodation from Almeria to Granada. I think this link will take you to it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y5pMfqcK4Rc3NlcmdOWndHQVE/view

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
KinkyOne:

Gronze.com has some suggested Etapas. I am starting to look at this walk also for 2018.

Ultreya,
Joe
Saw that. But I usually do my own document with all accommodations, bars, stores etc. listed, distances added and then allow myself wing it according to my laziness and/or weather on given day ;)

But definitely on to-do-list!

I'm primarily interested in the Alpujarras and crossing Sierra Nevada in later March. Any information will be gratefully received.
The route from Almería only fringes the Alpujarras and the Sierra Nevada rather than going right through the national park. I was briefly tempted to detour off the camino and onto one of the GRs that go through right through the park, but stuck to the camino. I recorded the way from Almería to Guadalupe on wikiloc, day one is here: https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=15154165

The albergue network from Almería to Granada is excellent (public or private albergues every night if you want them). After Granada there are fewer until you get back to the Vía de la Plata, but many hostals, pensións etc. As @JohnnieWalker says, the signage is excellent.

The landscapes in Andalusia are spectacular, especially when Mulhacén's snowcapped peak is frowning down on you, but if you don't like olive trees in bulk, the 3-4 days north of Moclín can feel a little monotonous.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I prepared my Camino Mozarabe I came across this Wikilocs file, from a southern route through the Alpujarras.

https://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=483729

The official Camino takes a more northern route. It is indeed a spectacular walk, especially the first leg between Almeria and Granada. I even liked the olive groves, with sweeping views over the hills between Moclin and Baena. There were only a few tedious parts. An industrial area along the TGV line near Granada, the last kilometers into Baena, and the long walk into Cordoba, only peanuts in an unforgettable camino.

The route from Almería only fringes the Alpujarras and the Sierra Nevada rather than going right through the national park. I was briefly tempted to detour off the camino and onto one of the GRs that go through right through the park, but stuck to the camino. I recorded the way from Almería to Guadalupe on wikiloc, day one is here: https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=15154165

The albergue network from Almería to Granada is excellent (public or private albergues every night if you want them). After Granada there are fewer until you get back to the Vía de la Plata, but many hostals, pensións etc. As @JohnnieWalker says, the signage is excellent.

The landscapes in Andalusia are spectacular, especially when Mulhacén's snowcapped peak is frowning down on you, but if you don't like olive trees in bulk, the 3-4 days north of Moclín can feel a little monotonous.

Thank you for this. I've downloaded your trail and had a look at it on the phone. Out of interest, did you have any hard copy backup in case the phone went u/s?

When I prepared my Camino Mozarabe I came across this Wikilocs file, from a southern route through the Alpujarras.

https://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=483729

The official Camino takes a more northern route. It is indeed a spectacular walk, especially the first leg between Almeria and Granada. I even liked the olive groves, with sweeping views over the hills between Moclin and Baena. There were only a few tedious parts. An industrial area along the TGV line near Granada, the last kilometers into Baena, and the long walk into Cordoba, only peanuts in an unforgettable camino.

Thank you, again. I'm unsure which exact route I shall take but it's good to know there are options.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for this. I've downloaded your trail and had a look at it on the phone. Out of interest, did you have any hard copy backup in case the phone went u/s?
When I arrived at Charleroi airport I discovered that I could not switch on my telephone without electric connection. In Guadix I bought a cheap Spanish phone for urgent cases high in the mountains. However, I had loaded the GPS tracks from the Amigos in Almeria. For Granada - Merida I had GPS files from the Peter Robins site. (I think it is gone now).

When I arrived at Charleroi airport I discovered that I could not switch on my telephone without electric connection. In Guadix I bought a cheap Spanish phone for urgent cases high in the mountains. However, I had loaded the GPS tracks from the Amigos in Almeria. For Granada - Merida I had GPS files from the Peter Robins site. (I think it is gone now).

OK. I have Wikiloc and Oruxmaps loaded which, I'm hoping, will give me the mapping I need. It seems the signposting is good now and, with luck, I shall be following them and not need maps much at all. I also have the Camino Mozarabe guide loaded. Thanks for your input; its all gratefully received.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi folks does anyone know the status of the albergue in Dona Mancia on the Malaga/Cordoba route? I have just returned fron completing the route when I arrived in Dona Mancia I expected there would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back