• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Almost on the Way

Valerie Ireland

Time of past OR future Camino
Flying out of Ireland Tues, June 16 (Bloomsday) and heading for SJPP. Figure I'll follow the backpacks to the bus for Bayonne and the train for St Jean. My two possible companions dropped out for good reasons - health and business - so I've decided to go regardless though I don't like travelling alone. I've been told there'll be no shortage of companions along the Way! Hope to walk to Santiago de Compostella, maybe even Finisterre. I've got the summer. See you all there. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Note that the 'train' service to SJPdP is being provided by bus. The tracks are washed out.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Flying out of Ireland Tues, June 16 (Bloomsday) and heading for SJPP. Figure I'll follow the backpacks to the bus for Bayonne and the train for St Jean. My two possible companions dropped out for good reasons - health and business - so I've decided to go regardless though I don't like travelling alone. I've been told there'll be no shortage of companions along the Way! Hope to walk to Santiago de Compostella, maybe even Finisterre. I've got the summer. See you all there. :)
Hi Valerie I see you are flying out in a couple of days good luck,I will be following a couple of weeks
later,you will not find any shortage of companions to walk with along the way buen camino

Hi Valerie,

I'm heading off solo on Tuesday also. Flying from Dublin to Biarritz Tuesday Morning. I see there's a train going from there to SJPP via Bayonne, but I'm sure there are buses also. I wouldn't worry about travelling alone; from what I gather you will make many friends along the way. I'm going for 5 weeks. Hope to get to Santiago if my knee doesn't give me trouble. Would love to see Finisterre but I won't have time unfortunately.

I'm really excited now! Are you taking the same Ryanair flight at 9:35?

Hi Valerie,

I'm heading off solo on Tuesday also. Flying from Dublin to Biarritz Tuesday Morning. I see there's a train going from there to SJPP via Bayonne, but I'm sure there are buses also. I wouldn't worry about travelling alone; from what I gather you will make many friends along the way. I'm going for 5 weeks. Hope to get to Santiago if my knee doesn't give me trouble. Would love to see Finisterre but I won't have time unfortunately.

I'm really excited now! Are you taking the same Ryanair flight at 9:35?
Hi, you have to take the bus from Bayonne to SJPdP, they are reparing the tracks. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Valerie, you will have a great time. Just enjoy yourself and you be fine. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi Valerie I see you are flying out in a couple of days good luck,I will be following a couple of weeks
later,you will not find any shortage of companions to walk with along the way buen camino
Hello, wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gracias a todos! I feel part of the Camino family already! I'll keep an eye out for you Tues, Anthony. You've got youth on your side so you should get to Compostela no prob. I figure it will take me about 2 months, LOL.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And thanks for the heads up about the bus, Peter. Buen Camino freespirit, you might go striding past me at some point. I'm in no hurry. Might even volunteer in a refugio along the way.

ps my daughter told me to update my avatar or no one will recognise me on the Camino. This is a more recent shot from Mongolia. Vanity preferred the younger pic in Ireland!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Haha Valerie. Well if you spot me Tuesday say hi (I'll be the one in bright yellow Asics, which are hard to miss!)

I'll look for you Anthony! We'll both be in search of the Bayonne bus - #6 or #14 depending on different threads here - and then t'other bus to SJPdP. But I'm guessing there'll be loads of pilgrims with backpacks and all we have to do is follow them. My pack is now down to 8 k but I'm hoping to shed a bit more. Are you all ready to go?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
. My pack is now down to 8 k but I'm hoping to shed a bit more. Are you all ready to go?

Yeah, we definitely won't be alone Val. I'm packed up now, just weighed it though. 10kg ... ouch. Gonna have to shed a kg or 2 because that doesn't include water/food ...

Hi Valerie,
I flew into Biarritz 3 weeks ago, I pre booked a seat in express Bouricott taxi service, it cost 18€ and generally picks up half hour after you arrive. If the taxi is not full it will cost more but chances are this time of year it will be. You can check them out online maybe works out similar price range to train and bus, google express Bouricott, I emailed With my details and asked for a shared taxi and I was happy with the service.
I travelled solo, but met people in Saint Jean and at the airport you will too.

Buen Camino
Rita

Enjoy. I did a week travelling on my own last month and it was wonderful. Open your mind to all you encounter. Fantastic people. I can't wait to return to complete.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back