• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Almost to Pamplona, river walk question

Becky 59

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018, 2021, CI 2019, CP 2022
I left Roncesvalles 2 days ago after a soggy crossing of the Pyrenees. Good sunny warm weather yesterday as I walked through Burguette and Biskaret (where the only bar open is Bar Juan; the bar at the beginning of town had chairs out but no patrons and no one answered when we called Ola at the door). Today walked through Zubiri in the rain. Interestingly, the rocks going downhill towards Zubiri were not as bad as I was led to believe (to put it into context, though, I do a lot of mountain hiking in the Washington Cascades). BUT the hillside with the wood and gravel stairs next to the pieced stone and cement slope was very slippery and treacherous (a few km past Zubiri).

No one in Spain is looking for vaccination cards. Most indoor workers are wearing masks, although they often seem to drift down below the nose. But thanks to Ivar's post this week, it seems the Covid cases continue to decline here!

Can any of you wise form people help me find a link describing how to find the river route into Pamplona? I am notoriously horrible at using the search function looking for past threads. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can’t give you any link but I walked along the river into Pamplona from the restplace along the road in Arleta a short walk from Zabaldica (see the picture). Earlier the camino did not go up from the road in Zabaldica, but followed the road up to that place before heading up to the tunnel.
The walk along the river was easy, seemed to be a place where locals took their Sundaywalk, it was a bit longer than the walk via Trinidad de Arre, I think I crossed over to Burlada.
I had walked the camino over the hill earlier, and I think I would have chosen the riverwalk again. You will not get to Arre on that route.

Attachments

• 140F5188-5D06-4BE6-B674-4343A3D992F0.jpeg
    140F5188-5D06-4BE6-B674-4343A3D992F0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 104
Becky 59,
From wherever you are now
follow the Camino parallel to the N 135 all the way to the large barbeque picnic area marked Barbacoa Esteribar. Then walk past the public lavatories to the biking path which leads via the Merendero en Olloqui - Paseo del Río. into Pamplona.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Becky59, we are a couple of days ahead of you and will make it into Logroño tomorrow.

A couple of suggestions in case they are helpful to you:

1) Pamplona became very full for our cohort of walkers and some people really struggled to find accommodations, so it might be best to call ahead if you aren’t taken care of yet.

2) Ágora Hostel in Estella has been hands down our favorite albergue so far. It is like someone from Sunset magazine designed the place. Very modern, clean and spacious. And they will actually do your laundry and fold your clothes for the same price others charge you to use machines on your own!

Buen Camino!

Becky 59,
From wherever you are now
follow the Camino parallel to the N 135 all the way to the large barbeque picnic area marked Barbacoa Esteribar. Then walk past the public lavatories to the biking path which leads via the Merendero en Olloqui - Paseo del Río. into Pamplona.
@mspath, you have an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Camino, thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Becky59, we are a couple of days ahead of you and will make it into Logroño tomorrow.

1) Pamplona became very full for our cohort of walkers and some people really struggled to find accommodations, so it might be best to call ahead if you aren’t taken care of yet.

2) Ágora Hostel in Estella has been hands down our favorite albergue so far. It is like someone from Sunset magazine designed the place. Very modern, clean and spacious. And they will actually do your laundry and fold your clothes for the same price others charge you to use machines on your own!

Buen Camino!
@CrimsonBear, Thanks for the tip about Estella. I have booked ahead to Pamplona; there is a group of 40 Spaniards that started in Roncesvalles the same day I was there, and things have been a little tight. I met a young man who slept outside in Biskaret. Buen camino!

@CrimsonBear, there is a group of 40 Spaniards that started in Roncesvalles the same day I was there, and things have been a little tight. I met a young man who slept outside in Biskaret. Buen camino!
Maybe you should take a rest day in Pamplona to get out of the bubble. Or a half-day rest to get off the most popular stages.

The way before Pamplona is a little complicated, main route, green way, or river walk.
I walked the main route 2 years ago, with a local woman telling us the river route a very long walk. The main route is the local residential area. I could not tell which way is better than the others. However, I could attach the map in 2017 edition.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d5f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d5f.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe you should take a rest day in Pamplona to get out of the bubble. Or a half-day rest to get off the most popular stages.
Yup, doing that exactly! The Spanish group got ahead of me yesterday. I get to Pamplona today (Sunday), and will spend Monday buying a new SIM card and having enough rest time to finally dry everything from the rain these last few days!

Becky 59,
Good to read that you are moving along and will take it easier for a bit!
Here is a peek of what you might pass if you enter Pamploma via the Puente de la Magdeleina

Carpe diem!

Last edited:
In case anyone else is confused, let me try to help.
First, a map.
2A195499-F68F-435C-B736-6C78BA5CED22.png
Irotz is roughly centre and that is where you cross a bridge. Depending on the time of day and weather, people will be swimming or settling in for a picnic. At this point, three paths present themselves.
The first is a tarmac path that is to the left of the three. It reaches a point where you can look up to the right, and see the church at Zabaldika upper, but the signage indicates to keep going left and around, on the tarmac path.
A little to the right of the tarmac path is a parallel path, along which you can keep an eye on the tarmac path to the left. At one point there you come across a memorial to a Japanese pilgrim.
At the end of that path you reach Zabaldika lower. Signage at this point is variable, depending on who wins the day! To the left, join the tarmac path. To the right, a short climb to the main road which is in effect the route I followed in 2006 before being aware of either of the other two. At the main road, careful checking, cross, climb the short steep path to the church in Zabaldika upper where in happier times there is an albergue.
If you choose left at either point, you will skirt a field and come out at the recreation area, which has the toilet area referred to by mspath. There, you can either follow the river path, very easy to discover, and has shade. It will lead you to Huarte, but you miss Trinidad de Arre. On the other hand, you can climb the hill, which is the route I followed in 2006, and then you are skirting the mountain, with lovely views. From Zabaldika upper, there is a meeting point with this path. It takes approx 45 mins to Trinidad de Arre from there.
I now know that the river walk from there (Trinidad de Arre) is very pleasant and leads out the roundabout at the foot of a hill out of Pamplona, where you access
the ascent to the French Gate into Pamplona. I think I am referring now to the Pamplona end of Burlada.
To quote t2andreo, I hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Becky 59,
Good to read that you are moving along and will take it easier for a bit!
Here is a peek of what you might pass if you enter Pamploma via the Puente de la Magdeleina

Carpe diem!

And what a pity it is that the welcoming albergue Casa Paderborn is closed for the moment.

The way before Pamplona is a little complicated, main route, green way, or river walk.
I walked the main route 2 years ago, with a local woman telling us the river route a very long walk. The main route is the local residential area. I could not tell which way is better than the others. However, I could attach the map in 2017 edition.
Thanks, but upside down maps really throw me 🙃

And what a pity it is that the welcoming albergue Casa Paderborn is closed for the moment.

I read that they are moving to a different place that is less subject to flooding. The old place was flooded out reasonably often. The Covid shutdown provided a good opportunity to move.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I came across a young German guy when I stayed there in 2019. He was a really solid, tall guy and he was walking with an ancient (WW1) army type backpack made with wood and old fashion canvas that looked really uncomfortable and must have weighed 6 or 7 kilos on its own. He also was wearing old style army type leather boots that came halfway up his calves. I needed to pass him his boots, one at a time as I put my own trail running shoes on in the morning (and blocking the narrow passage area). Each boot must have weighed around a kilo and a half!

He didn't say anything when I commented on the weight of his boots but I got the impression that he was using this equipment to honour someone.

I saw him on the trail a couple of days later and he had enormous blisters on both feet, he was carrying his boots on the outside of his backpack and he was struggling along in sandals.

Thanks to all of your help, I did manage the river route, and discovered fortuitously that the Museum at the Mill now has a little coffee shop, mostly cafe and pastries, but a few bocadillas and tortilla in the case. The river park was full of Sunday family outings, I spent lots of time dodging young children on 2-wheel bikes (young like 3 and 4 year olds, far more advanced than mine were at that age!)

I also discovered that one of the reasons Zubiri was so booked Saturday was an international in-line skating event (that also shut down all the cafes in town! Good thing I was staying further along the Way!)

I'm staying at what is listed in the books as Irunako Aterpea hostel, however the signage on the building now calls it Albergue Pamplona. Still at number 18 on the first street coming into town...

Buen Camino!
Agora is our favourite too! Hands down. Gorgeous design and wonderful staff! A must stay!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I left Roncesvalles 2 days ago after a soggy crossing of the Pyrenees. Good sunny warm weather yesterday as I walked through Burguette and Biskaret (where the only bar open is Bar Juan; the bar at the beginning of town had chairs out but no patrons and no one answered when we called Ola at the door). Today walked through Zubiri in the rain. Interestingly, the rocks going downhill towards Zubiri were not as bad as I was led to believe (to put it into context, though, I do a lot of mountain hiking in the Washington Cascades). BUT the hillside with the wood and gravel stairs next to the pieced stone and cement slope was very slippery and treacherous (a few km past Zubiri).

No one in Spain is looking for vaccination cards. Most indoor workers are wearing masks, although they often seem to drift down below the nose. But thanks to Ivar's post this week, it seems the Covid cases continue to decline here!

Can any of you wise form people help me find a link describing how to find the river route into Pamplona? I am notoriously horrible at using the search function looking for past threads. Thanks!
I heard about the app Camino Ninja, while walking a couple of weeks. It was the best o found. It has always a clear picture of where the Camino takes you.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back