• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

aloe vera in the wild

Lizlibra5

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances {2016)
hi, I'm walking the CF for the first time in April. I am a great believer in using Aloe Vera (from the plant, not from a jar) for skin issues... It's great for healing blisters and keeping skin in good condition. I have read that Aloe Vera is native to Spain, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is AV growing wild along the way, or if I need to bring a jar from my own plants... (coming from Oz not sure about the legality of this?) Not keen on bottled aloe vera but if worse comes to worse....
So excited!!!
love the forum by the way... so many wonderful people with such wonderful attitudes!
love to all
Liz

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And the not picking plants goes for other plants, not just Aloe Vera, in fact you sometimes see signs asking people not to do that because it helps moving parasites, desease, etc., much faster.

I never saw any on the trail as well, I paid close attention to the vegetation just my interest.. You can find just about everything you need in the towns along the way. Just not in small sizes.

oh well, looks like it's a jar of home grown... extra weight ugh! lol
yep, I like to check out the local flora too.... love the way herbs grow wild in Spain that you have to cultivate here in Australia...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
oh well, looks like it's a jar of home grown... extra weight ugh! lol
yep, I like to check out the local flora too.... love the way herbs grow wild in Spain that you have to cultivate here in Australia...
Before your bring plant matter into Europe you may want to read up on the laws....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hi, I'm walking the CF for the first time in April. I am a great believer in using Aloe Vera (from the plant, not from a jar) for skin issues... It's great for healing blisters and keeping skin in good condition. I have read that Aloe Vera is native to Spain, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is AV growing wild along the way, or if I need to bring a jar from my own plants... (coming from Oz not sure about the legality of this?) Not keen on bottled aloe vera but if worse comes to worse....
So excited!!!
love the forum by the way... so many wonderful people with such wonderful attitudes!
love to all
Liz
Not sure I would be disturbing the local flora; better to take your own. Buen Camino.

Healing with plants is my hobby, my grandma taught me how and I certainly pay attention to plants along the way. Although there was amazing variety and plenty of medical herbs, I didn't see any Aloe Vera, and that is rather big plant, would be noticeable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My Grandmother was a firm believer of Aloe Vera and Witch Hazel too.If it was good enough for her,it's good enough for me.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have seen Aloe Vera plants in Garden shops and markets in Spain. You could buy one and use the plant along the way. Maybe the branches (what are they called, the long sticky things) would survive wrapped up in your backpack?

Yes, it exists in Spain - I was first introduced to using it for blisters just outside Leon.
The hospitalera cut a leaf from her garden and gave me a piece, wrapped in a piece of aliminium foil.
We have Aloa Vera in our garden and I'm now an enthusiastic believer of its properties. For the Camino, I bring a very small tube of pure Aloa gel with me.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back