• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Aloha ! my Mom and I start our walk tomorrow from Astorga

Christine Drogowski

Time of past OR future Camino
astorga-santiago Tomorrow!2017 oct.13th
Aloha! My Mom and just arrived yesterday in Astorga and were suppose to start our walk ....well about an hour ago.
My mother's backpack was stolen from the Bus and to continue we need to buy all of her gear in Astorga. She has her boots and one hiking outfit ( tshirt n tights)
Sports stores in Astorga open at 10am. Any suggestions on which store, how much to buy? we cant afford to replace everything.
were not the same size or id share.
Also if we quickly shop n start walking around noon? I dont think well make it to Rabanol.... mayb we can do 10km n still find an aubergue in time? is there a town around that dstance?
any advice would help, we were super prepared but not for the theft. Were trying to get our spirits up n get excited again.
thanku in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
:eek: I am so sorry that your Mum’s pack got stolen from the bus. Gosh it even made my heart miss a beat and I am sitting in my armchair in my lounge room at home. :eek:
Don’t worry. You’ll be fine. Plenty of accommodations options from Astorga.
El Ganzo is 13.3 kms away and has a few excellent albergue accommodation option plus the Cowboy bar! I can recommend Albergue Gabino. Had a very happy and comfortable night there. They take bookings. Phone no. 660 912 823
If you can’t make it that far then Santa Catalina de Somoza is 8.7 kms away and has two albergues.
Buen camino and its going to get better from here on!

Too bad about your start, but Astorga is a great place to begin your Camino. You could walk as far as El Ganso.

Good luck with the shopping! If you are staying in albergues, she'll need a light sleeping bag but if you're staying in private double rooms, you won't. I'd suggest you should get a rain jacket, one pair of pants, 2 pairs socks, underpants, a light-to-medium weight long sleeved shirt, buff (wool if possible). Use socks if you need gloves, have a big garbage bag as pack liner in case it rains. Maybe check at the albergue in Astorga in case they have some discards.

Let us know how it goes!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
La Tormenta Desportes, Calle de Manuel GullĂłn, 12, 24700 Astorga, is supposed to open at 10 local time.

Museo del Chocolate, Avd. de la EstaciĂłn, 16, opens at 10.30 and the lady behind the counter was very generous with free samples when we were there...

There IS a Fiesta Nacional on today, so ask at your albergue whether the sports shop is likely to be open.

Bare essentials: Sleeping bag, toiletries, two more fast-drying t-shirts, thin trousers that will fit on top of the walking tights, fleece jacket, raincoat or poncho, two pairs of the best socks she can find, 2 pairs of underwear and one bra, backpack to carry the stuff in.

Ask the albergue where there's a tienda chino and go there first, I have seen both synthetic t-shirts, loads of underwear and acceptable sleeping bags there. Buy fake Crocs for evenings/showers/relief from blisters there.

Do check the bin of stuff other pilgrims have left at the albergue before you buy anything. There may be acceptable stuff there, and the people who left it because of the weight will be happy that it will be of use to someone.

Have a wonderful walk!

Way back in 2002, I met Heidi from Austria, 61 years old and fun. Her pack was stolen in Pamplona. While drunk in Logrono she confessed she'd been a robber on camino during medieval times and this was her karmic beginning. Later on camino she also stated she'd been a Knights Templar. Not edicting your mom. Just a funny: these things unfortunately happen tale.
Buen camino to you both.

Ohi!
I'm sorry for theft! I'd go for the propellers! Take all the time you need before leaving, to prepare yourself well. it is the only advice I feel to give .. beyond that a Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So sorry to hear your mom's pack was stolen. By now you are probably well on your way. Hope things go much more smoothly for the rest of your walk. Buen Camino.

Sorry about getting ripped off and I hope you can get the basics to get started. 10km is only 6 miles, 2 hours walking. You may be capable of more than you thought, el Ganzo maybe. Hope to hear how you progress. Buen Camino.

Do check with the municipal albergue in Astoria for gear! They often have lots of stuff that has been left behind.

Having just come back from the Camino - I'd buy or find an Altus poncho, a light sleeping bag, a spare pair of nickers, a warm long sleeved top of some kind, a second pair of tights, a pair of socks (assuming she's got one pair), a toothbrush and a comb. And a cheap backpack. I really don't think you need anything else.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back