• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alone Together: how do you deal with technology?

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
I just stumbled on this wonderful and very thought provoking article:
http://www.onbeing.org/blog/douglas-challenger-walking-the-camino-in-the-age-of-wi-fi/8653

It made me really sit down and think.
I have no interest whatsoever in rehashing the old argument of whether 'real pilgrims' use phones or whatever electronic devices they might bring on the Camino.
We probably have to get over it: most people take at least a phone along with them. Me too.

But several times this year I had the experience of being "alone together" in the common space at an albergue--when people were so engrossed in their devices that there was no conversation--and I felt that it'd have been rude to interrupt in order to start one. It was sad, because part of the joy of the way is meeting people, and sharing from the heart.

And so what got me thinking as I read this article--and wondering what you all would think--was this line:
"Given the fact that cell phone and social media use will remain a reality along the Camino from now on, our observations have taught us that we need to develop a more intentional set of rules to limit our use of this technology."

So how do you manage your electronics--and what guidelines (if any) do you follow for yourself when you walk? What works, and what challenges you in this area?

Here's my general strategy, to start the discussion off...
I generally like being 'off the radar,' so I always have an away message on my emails. And I don't do FB &etc, so that's not an issue--my version of social media is mostly this forum, and I find that there is not so much posting that happens after a few days.

Being with myself requires remembering how to be solitary, which can be easy or difficult, depending on the day or my internal state. Sometimes it requires discipline to stay offline, when I crave distraction or connection. Other times I don't miss it at all.

Mostly what works for me is to only go on my phone in the evening, if I need to (and I try to separate need from want). Otherwise, it stays in my pack...well out of range if there is temptation.

The hardest thing for me, actually, is re-adjusting to being fully back online, once I do that--and to the feeling of pressure that comes with it. So there can be a lot of resistance to engaging in the electronic realm again. And I have to consciously stay in my body as I drip-feed the exposure, because I can get a roaring headache otherwise! (One of the joys of the Camino is being fully in the body, here and now...and electronics do yank me up into my head, if I'm not careful.)

And as for starting a conversation when everyone is engrossed in their phone...I'm totally at a loss. If there's a polite way to break the fixation, I'd love to know it.;)
I didn't grow up with social media so the etiquette is a mystery to me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Like VN I, too, did not grow up with electronic social media; hand written pen-pal letters were the cutting edge of social media during my teens 60+ years ago!

Although during my first solo caminos my husband and I talked when necessary by land-line telephone, since 2008 I have carried a smartphone which also serves as camera and computer on which I periodically blog. Since we both are in our mid-70's whilst apart we SMS/text each other good morning, briefly cite our daily plans, and text again at day's end. Simple, swift and efficacious this helps keep each of us in the other's loop.

While walking a phone and European assistance number 112 can provide invaluable emergency help. Luckily I have never personally needed such assistance, but over the years have called 112 for other pilgrims who needed fast help and either had no phone or were unable to use a phone. ...In retrospect I would NEVER walk without a phone. Carrying one may help save someone else's life.

Usually walking late in the year during the 'off' season and often in inclement weather the few pilgrims met on the route or in those albergues which were open generally were more interested in sharing resources, stories and assistance then typing their tales home. ...Happily the camino spirit of human interchange can and still does continue despite technology. Long may it be so.

Last edited:
In retrospect I would NEVER walk without a phone. Carrying one may help save someone else's life.
Indeed--especially on more remote Caminos, where it could save one's own!
Usually walking late in the year during the 'off' season and often in inclement weather the few pilgrims met on the route or in those albergues which were open generally were more interested in sharing resources, stories and assistance then typing their tales home. ...Happily the camino spirit of human interchange can and still does continue despite technology. Long may it be so.
Nice, Margaret, indeed--long may it be so.
And I didn't imagine that walking in the off season would be one of the suggestions for avoiding the 'alone together' experience, but it does make sense that it wouldn't be as much of an issue then.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have so many thoughts on this but don't want to peck with one finger all day to post them now. I remember last year when I arrived in San Martin Pinario and went into the bar to meet someone-- every single person was on a phone or iPad. I agree about the intentionality of dealing with it but it seems almost impossible to buck the tide.

On these remote Caminos that I walk, technology has given me the opportunity to be "together alone." My family and the forum have virtually been my only social contacts on the Castellano-aragones. Sure, I've had many lovely conversations with villagers, bar owners, shop keepers, etc but I so enjoy being able to communicate with my loved ones (face time from Pozalmuro, population 35--how incredible is that).

I will use technology very differently when I'm in an albergue with a group of pilgrims but for these weeks it has been my lifeline. In fact, both of you were so very helpful when I needed to figure out a logistics problem coming up next week. That was from Pozalmuro as well!!

I plan on walking just one week of the Camino in October. I will bring my mobile phone (one of the 'dumb' variety) as a security measure, but my intention is to turn it on only if I need it. As for the conversation starter - loudly announce 'free beer? free wine?'. :)

I will use technology very differently when I'm in an albergue with a group of pilgrims but for these weeks it has been my lifeline.
I agree about the intentionality of dealing with it but it seems almost impossible to buck the tide.
That's the double-edged sword of this technology, isn't it--both lifesaver and potential isolater.
I do wish some Millenial out there would instruct us about how to best start a real converstion...

As for the conversation starter - loudly announce 'free beer? free wine?'.
Ha, ha, Stuart...or free food? Not a bad idea.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's a huge difference between taking technology on the well walked Caminos such as the Frances, and the solitary caminos, such as peregrina2000 is walking, and I have just returned from.

On a solitary camino, I found technology to be essential. My biggest fear before I set off, was whether I would be able to cope with being on my own for 2 weeks. My precaution was to take an ipad mini along with me. It was brilliant. Day time was fine - I love walking on my own, being able to stop or keep going, speed up or go slow, take photos or smell the flowers, which is more difficult with companions. But the evenings are different. I need to connect with someone. Small scraps of conversation in my very basic Spanish are a help but not enough. So, thanks to the almost universal presence of wifi in Spain, I used my ipad and Skype to talk to my family. It made a huge difference.

Another thing, about phones. When you really need to use one, as mspath says, will there be reception? I got lost last week - well, I went off the official path by accident. I had a pretty good map on my ipad, having scrolled the route before I set off, but there was a small portion of the map that I had not bothered with, which was in less detail. And of course it was the vital bit! I was pretty certain that I knew where I was and how to extricate myself from my detour but there was still room for doubt. As I sat studying my ipad map, I wondered about ringing my daughter to get her to check that the path that I had taken was going to connect with the one I wanted and not take me miles out of my way. I got my phone out, and THERE WAS NO RECEPTION!

I'd be very interested to know if there is a map of reception coverage in Spain as there is for the UK for at least some network operators. There's an assumption that a phone will always work. That is not true.

When you really need to use one, as mspath says, will there be reception? I got lost last week - well, I went off the official path by accident. I had a pretty good map on my ipad, having scrolled the route before I set off, but there was a small portion of the map that I had not bothered with, which was in less detail. And of course it was the vital bit!
Good point Felice--especially for those of us thinking we might use the GPS on our phones on some less well-trod Camino.
In March, I had a similar experience as you did. It made me really wish I just had a simple old-fashioned paper map!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good point Felice--especially for those of us thinking we might use the GPS on our phones on some less well-trod Camino.
In March, I had a similar experience as you did. It made me really wish I just had a simple old-fashioned paper map!

I love paper maps, but google earth is a pretty good invention. It was a game changer for me when someone told me that you dont need phone signal to have really detailed maps there on a device. Now all I need is to work out how to carry my ipad in a more accessible way, rather than in the rucksack itself. As for not having the bit of the map that you need, well, I think that paper maps are even worse on that score! Remember trying to work out where you were, in a howling gale, and needing to put 2 (or more) paper maps together to do so?!!!!

Just a thought - I can read a map, and can generally work out where I am without GPS. How many people have that old fashioned skill nowadays?

I was fortunate when I was in grade 6 or 7 to be picked to be on my school's 2 person 'orienteering' team, pulled out of class, and taught how to use compass and map, to use and find coordinates and use the environment to walk in a straight line. I never caught up on the missed science classes, but I've had 40 years of benefit from the orienteering lessons. A more than fair trade, in my view. maps.me is my go-to for online maps. They have a nice level of detail, particular for non wilderness areas. I used it as my sole reference to walk from Trieste to Venice last year, and found footpaths and shortcuts.

Back to the topic, I have found my iPhone or iPad mini to be great sources of social connection to the world when I've been alone on camino, and something I would occupy myself with at the end of the day while resting. I also have my books on it, so maybe those people are reading, not just online socializing.

I think the suggestion to shout out, 'does anyone want to go get a drink?' is a good one. I'd be likely to say yes.

And so what got me thinking as I read this article--and wondering what you all would think--was this line:
"Given the fact that cell phone and social media use will remain a reality along the Camino from now on, our observations have taught us that we need to develop a more intentional set of rules to limit our use of this technology."

A difficult issue. Certainly we can create and follow an intentional set of rules for ourselves. For the tech-addicted it may be a useful discipline. I include myself in that category. I think we should always examine our actions and priorities carefully. Not sure that it gets us much further forward on the challenge of engagement and communication with others if they do not share our decisions to step back a little from technology and interact face-to-face with the people in the same room.

My first Camino Frances experience predated mobile phones and the internet - for all practical purposes neither existed. The numbers of pilgrims was tiny in comparison with today. Something like 2% of the number, judging from the Pilgrim Office Compostela statistics. It was perfectly possible to walk all day in July and August and to sleep in many refugios without encountering another walker. I think that was a massive factor in forging direct personal relationships. Even more than the distraction factor of technology today. Encounters with another pilgrim were usually marked by smiles, greetings and a pause for the exchange of camino news and potted life histories. Sometimes in a very bizarre mix of language fragments and mime:) It was very rare to pass another pilgrim without some sort of conversation. On my second walk internet access and mobile phones were still relatively rare but some people had begun to carry laptops and to record their journey on them. The number of pilgrims had grown exponentially. We usually acknowledged each other when we met: a smile, a nod, a brief "Buen camino!" but there was a very different dynamic in the meetings. Far more selective in engaging in conversation. Partly from necessity: if you stopped to talk with everyone you met you would never reach Burgos, never mind Santiago :) Today's huge numbers make that even more true. The easy availability of mobile phones and the internet, and peoples' growing dependence on them, are a fact. I would love to see a return to the "good old days" although I suspect that selective memory and a romanticizing streak in myself have painted them in rather more rosy tints than they really deserve.

On the free food and drink suggestion: excellent idea! I did just that one day on the Primitivo. Bought some bread, cheese, chorizo, olives, canned pulpo and the like from a supermarket plus a couple of litres of wine. Set out the food and drink on a coffee table near the entrance to the albergue in Grandas and invited everyone who passed by to have something. Quite a few of us sat around that evening and ate and drank and talked. A few added their own gifts to the table too. A pleasant few hours.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

So how do you manage your electronics--and what guidelines (if any) do you follow for yourself when you walk? What works, and what challenges you in this area?
1) Learn how to use your devices before doing the camino.
2) Be careful about what you promise.

Peg kept complaining about all the time I was playing with the tablet we brought. Actually I was spending that time trying to get it to work and resented that tablet time more than she did. But we had promised newsletters home. Next time we will probably still screwup but in a different way.

1) Learn how to use your devices before doing the camino.
2) Be careful about what you promise.

Peg kept complaining about all the time I was playing with the tablet we brought. Actually I was spending that time trying to get it to work and resented that tablet time more than she did. But we had promised newsletters home. Next time we will probably still screwup but in a different way.

Good advice I think. I am promising to take photos (on an old fashioned thing called a camera) and to have a phone from which I may send the odd text. Otherwise, loved ones will need to wait for my return for updates.

For electronics on my camino last fall I carried an ipad mini (wifi only) and a SPOT emergency beacon. Unlike in my time in the Rocky Mountains, I did not check in each day with the beacon. But I knew that I could call for emergency help through the SPOT satellite system for myself or any other pilgrim in distress, regardless of whether cell phone coverage was available. I did not need to use it. I reported home to family and friends via email about once a week, when wifi was available. I needed the ipad for banking purposes, to pay my monthly credit card bill and transfer money from one account to another as necessary. I also had maps and my daily prayers on the ipad and used it to book hotel rooms ( on the few occasions that I stayed in hotels). I used it relatively little for entertainment or communication purposes. I note Peregrina 2000's remark above about everyone being on their electronic device in the bar at San Martin Pinario. As that was the only place where wifi was always available to pilgrims, I used my ipad there as well. As a solitary traveler, and quite shy, besides never knowing whether I would be able to speak the language of anyone I met, I could feel secure and not lonely, in checking my email or my bank balance, when alone in a public place. Of course, I did try to speak to other pilgrims in bars and so on. One memorable encounter was with a Frenchman who spoke only French and denigrated the quality of my French when I switched into his language to be sociable. I will say this: having no telephone, I always felt like I was in the space which my body was occupying and not far away in direct communication through text or speech. I never tried to use Skype. I don't know what effect electronics has on others. But do consider that the person looking at her electronic device in a public space may just be shy and uncertain of her, or his, linguistic competence.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Speaking as someone who was born BC (before calculators and computers) and then had a career that evolved from pen, paper and paints onto the world wide web, I'm often in awe of technology's enabling capabilities. I also consider myself fortunate to have grown up and experienced a relatively disconnected world that provided me with skills to navigate, communicate and survive without it.

I wonder if you were to travel back in time BC would you also find examples of 'alone together' in communal areas with people reading, writing diaries and postcards or researching maps. While I enjoy the company of others, I also need an introvert's quiet time to regain my energy and focus for the day ahead. I know many of my friends use their phones etc to achieve this in crowded areas.

On the Camino I had my iPhone which was my diary, camera, offline maps, Kindle library (delved into for noted Camino references and guides), menu and sign translator and tutor, note taker, accommodation booking, banking, Camino family locator and dinner organiser, medical guide and safety net for a fellow solo pilgrim we befriended. My phone was always to hand but only accessed for a specific purpose.

I am disciplined with my eLife but did check emails of an evening as we were away for some months and had ailing family and friends at home. I also sent updates to a program we volunteer with for people living with dementia and their carers. The effect of this communication was astounding and one of the most humbling results of our journey. Managing update expectations for friends and relatives of our travelling companion was an unexpected additional task but got sorted out fairly quickly.

It was interesting to see the uptake of selfie-sticks as opposed to fellow pilgrims asking you to take their photos which provides an opportunity for a brief chat.

Overall, technology is just another tool and it's in how we use it and what we use it for and how that 'fits' within social settings that is the issue. I never felt elsewhere when using my phone except fully within my body, in the moment and very much on the Camino and if someone spoke to me, I gave them my full attention.

Mind your Mobile Manners
Putting your phone away and paying attention to those talking to you?
There's an App for that.
It's called RESPECT.

Ah, @VNwalking , thank you for asking! I do have thoughts on this! :D As we have enjoyed actual face-to-face conversations, you'll know that I am neither a spring chicken nor averse to expressing my opinion, so here goes...

I LOVE my smartphone and never want to go anywhere without it. And I do not apologize for that! Putting aside the very significant functional features, I'll address the question of whether
we need to develop a more intentional set of rules to limit our use of this technology

The statement seems a little ironic to me, when the article you linked to, pointed out that "The new technology gives us more control over where we put our attention."

To give a different outlook, try changing the word "phone" (or "new technology") to "book." In years past, I have
  1. Walked into a lamp post because I was engrossed in a book.
  2. Taken a book into a restaurant because I was dining alone.
  3. Been accused of being antisocial because I had my nose in a book.
  4. Felt bereft when I found myself somewhere with time and no book.
As @Albertagirl points out, many of the people in the lounge at San Martin Pinario were only there because the wifi was good. Otherwise they'd be in their solitary rooms having even less social contact! I am a bit on the introvert side and find that sitting in that lounge, using my phone, is a good way to be semi-sociable to a degree that I'm happy with. I don't always want to chat indiscriminately with everyone who passes by, so the phone (like a book or a diary or knitting or the state of my shoelaces) can be a way to gently ease in or out of interaction if desired. But I am there, in the public area, receptive to other people - I can always pause from my phone, look up and around, smile at someone or greet them.

On my long daily walks around home, I ponder the state of my life and think about my family, friends, forum acquaintances, my garden, sewing projects, camino equipment, etc. I confess that sometimes I pause in the shade of a tree and pull out my phone to exchange short text comments with my daughter or sister-in-law, who live thousands of kilometers away but with whom I have daily communication that truly enhances our relationships. I have even replied to comments on this forum :eek::eek::eek:. I think about how much pleasure this brings to me and how fortunate I am to have this technology.

Music. I rarely listen to music. But I have a collection on my phone that I very occasionally listen to while walking. Every time I do, I am inspired by the music and think "Wow, I should do this more often!"

Of course we all need to manage our time - that includes time spend on work, internet, TV, reading, talking over the fence with neighbours, gossiping with friends. And I agree that we need to be aware of both the negatives and positives of constant electronic communication, and manage them as best we can. I just object to some of the "tut tutting" about modern times!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wonderful post Wokabaut.
Thank you. I believe that @Viranini indeed stumbled on a very thought provoking subject.

And I agree that we need to be aware of both the negatives and positives of constant electronic communication, and manage them as best we can. I just object to some of the "tut tutting" about modern times!
Wonderfully expressed as is your whole post. I laughed at your book points as I am guilty of all four.

At school my two passions were art and mathematics. I was told - and made - to choose between these disciplines as I 'couldn't do both'. When the internet arrived it had a graphic interface (art) and coded language (mathematics). A match made in heaven as far as I was concerned. I too love modern times and the opportunities and challenges that they present.

Such wonderful, thoughtful, and interesting responses. Thank you, everyone!

It was perfectly possible to walk all day in July and August and to sleep in many refugios without encountering another walker. I think that was a massive factor in forging direct personal relationships.
But do consider that the person looking at her electronic device in a public space may just be shy and uncertain of her, or his, linguistic competence.
While I enjoy the company of others, I also need an introvert's quiet time to regain my energy and focus for the day ahead.
To give a different outlook, try changing the word "phone" (or "new technology") to "book."
Thank you. I believe that @Viranini indeed stumbled on a very thought provoking subject.
Wonderfully expressed as is your whole post. I laughed at your book points as I am guilty of all four.
You all in your different ways have touched on something fascinating and important aspect of this that we don't often consider in the rush to be concerned about new tech--how it can also be a means to be both social in a crowd, not too social. When there are very few walkers around, that's a moot point--as @Bradypus has pointed out so well.
I'm an introvert too, and can really be prone to social awkwardness in a place where I don't speak the language. So I really resonated to what everyone's written--and hadn't really considered what you said, Albertagirl. And I also laughed at @Cclearly's list. Yes, me, too.
What you've all said points out the wonderful complexity of this topic--and these tools. And the take-home message for me is to remember not to be too quick to go to negative interpretations when I see a common room full of people on their phones. It may be more complicated than addiction.

I think about how much pleasure this brings to me and how fortunate I am to have this technology.
Yes, also. It IS complicated, indeed!
Hence the need to figure out how not to walk into the lampost...

Be careful about what you promise.
loved ones will need to wait for my return for updates.
This is my tactic, as well. That said, I sure do enjoy the updates people post here, and realize I'm actually using their posts for a 'Camino hit.' Mea Culpa. I hate it when I use people.:confused: Not that I want you to stop, those of you who are out there right now...:D

if someone spoke to me, I gave them my full attention.
That's I think the crux of what's concerning--is when people are so engrossed that they can't. And you mention Respect, Meri...and I think that's the core of it.
So how to use this wonderful technology while at the same time being respectful of others. An ongoing question--as the article said, it's a new technology and early days. At some point an etiquette will evolve

I am promising to take photos (on an old fashioned thing called a camera) and to have a phone from which I may send the odd text.
I managed to lose 4,000 pictures from Barcelona and the Camino from SJPdP up to the border of Galicia when a micro-SD card snapped. I did manage to keep 500 or so from those though when every couple of days I copied favorites from the card to the tablet. However what I did was not a regular copy but a cropping and then doing a screenshot. So I got a lower image quality and the ones saved this one weren't necessarily my best ones.

I said a few cuss words when I discovered the broken card but within 30 seconds I got over it. I have thousands of slides from other trips taken through the decades that I haven't seen yet this century. Besides, these days on the internet you can find plenty of pictures to match yours taken by others. For proof see this picture by @Viranani and its comment:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/a-wet-morning-toxibo.4998/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hence the need to figure out how not to walk into the lampost...
I managed to figure this out without a lot of analysis and rules! :po_O By the way, we were also allowed to read at the table most of the time when I was a kid. Some might consider that to be the height of poor upbringing :eek:.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is it necessary to limit the use of technology while you are on the camino? IMHO, no if you are confortable with the use you make of it and don't put yourself at risk by using it. As simple as that.

Does the technology isolate? It depends. IMHO, isolation is a feeling so we would need to ask the people using technology if they feel isolated or not.

Does the technology isolate? It depends. IMHO, isolation is a feeling so we would need to ask the people using technology if they feel isolated or not.
And the people around them as well, yes? Because there's nothing like walking into a room full of texting and posting people to feel very alone in a crowd. The posters may be connected to someone but that someone could be half a world away, not here and now.
I actually don't have an argument with technology; it's much more nuanced than that. It depends on the intention of the journey. For long distance walkers who want to see and experience a very special ancient pilgrimage way, technology is no impediment.
For those who intend to do deep inner work--which is in large part the work of being here and now--it can definitely get in the way if it's used to distract and avoid.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is it necessary to limit the use of technology while you are on the camino? IMHO, no if you are confortable with the use you make of it and don't put yourself at risk by using it. As simple as that.

@Castilian:
I am not so sure that "isolation is a feeling." It may be a condition of lack of contact with those around you, whether or not you have feelings about that lack of contact and what those feelings may be is a different issue. For example, the man who spent hours on Skype with various women and did not converse with others in the dormitory was certainly isolated from them. Conversely, he was joined with those with whom he spoke on Skype. Presumably, this worked for him as a way of keeping in touch with persons who were important in his life. This was his choice. Whether he felt that he was completely present to his experience on the camino is a different issue, and one that only he knows.

And the people around them as well, yes? Because there's nothing like walking into a room full of texting and posting people to feel very alone in a crowd.

In the case of the people around them, their possible feeling of isolation isn't really due to the technology. They might feel isolated because they hoped to speak with someone or to make something with other people and found nobody was available to make whatever they hoped to make in group (or not alone if you prefer). The unavailability of people can be due to technology or to other reasons. It doesn't matter. If you aren't engrossed using technology, you are free to go elsewhere to look for people willing to speak with you unless you want to isolate yourself in that room where everyone is using technology and you feel alone as a result. In other words, technology may have isolated the people using it from you but it doesn't isolate you so you are free to look for company elsewhere if that's what you are looking for.

I actually don't have an argument with technology; it's much more nuanced than that. It depends on the intention of the journey.

Yes but Who am I to judge the intention of the journey of another person? As I said above as long as you feel confortable with the use you make of it and as long as that use doesn't put yourself at risk, it's fine. If you think technology is being an obstacle to reach some of your goals along the camino, then you have something to sort out. But it's all very personal. It depends on preferences, aim of the trip and many other personal questions. I don't think we can't make general statements here.

I am not so sure that "isolation is a feeling."
It may be a condition of lack of contact with those around you

Isolation=being alone. Being alone=being with no one else present. Therefore, if there's people around you, you are not isolated although, of course, you may feel isolated.

Does reading at the table equate with being introverted? Do extroverts not like to do so?

I love to read, but would probably not at the table. I personally can be completely immersed in a book and might forget to eat.:p

Ha ha, @C clearly, I have no idea, because I'm not one. But from the experience of sharing the table with extroverts, I'd say they rather prefer to talk over each other.;)

Spot on.

After my first Camino with no mobile phone, my wife insisted that I take one thereafter. I switch it on at prearranged times eiter to talk or to text. This year I have leapt into warp drive with a smart phone. It is switched off most of the time. It really isn't difficult to be in the world but not of it for the purpose of the Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Based on others' comments I reminded of a similar experience I had while staying at the San Martin Pinario. I went downstairs to use the lounge area since it was the only place where one could get wifi and felt oddly alone in the room where people were gathered together. Nobody spoke, each was busy doing something of their mobile device.

I guess in future, we may find signs posted stating "Quiet Please: People Surfing"

Since then I have been acutely aware of people being "alone together". Everyday I pass couples walking, hand in hand while holding their respective iPhones in the other free hand, periodically stopping to check their devices, entire groups at dinner tables, all checking their respective devices, not saying a word, and kids at the parks, lying around, taking in the sun, again each glued to the screens of their mobile devices.

I guess in future we may find signs posted stating " Quiet Please: People Engaged - Just not with each other"

I guess in future, we may find signs posted stating "Quiet Please: People Surfing"
Or this:
Capture.JPG
[I found these images easily...ironically, online (of course)...and there are many more like them. A wonderful meme...but hopefully one that doesn't cause these places to lose business!]

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I protest! I think being alone together can be quite lovely.
I agree. There are times when being alone together can be lovely, like watching a sunset together, reading a book in front of a warm fire, etc .

It is just odd to see couples walking hand in hand together, surfing the net, stopping at various intersections to reply to an email, or a group of four sitting a table waiting for their meals to arrive, each lost in their respective devices, words not spoken, or worse kids sharing jokes between themselves via email ( or I should say texting ) while lazing around the park.

OK. I am the devil's advocate here! :rolleyes:
I agree. There are times when being alone together can be lovely, like watching a sunset together, reading a book in front of a warm fire, etc .
It is just odd to see couples walking hand in hand together, surfing the net, stopping at various intersections to reply to an email, or a group of four sitting a table waiting for their meals to arrive, each lost in their respective devices, words not spoken, or worse kids sharing jokes between themselves via email ( or I should say texting ) while lazing around the park.
If you saw the same couples, walking along hand in hand, not speaking, each with involved in their own thoughts but without devices, would you also view it as odd? Who is to say that they are "lost" in their devices or thoughts? I say the couples are content and complete - as individuals and as a couple. What's the problem? I've been married 35 years and don't talk constantly with my husband. And how is kids sharing jokes "worse"than something? :p

OK. I am the devil's advocate here! :rolleyes:

If you saw the same couples, walking along hand in hand, not speaking, each with involved in their own thoughts but without devices, would you also view it as odd? Who is to say that they are "lost" in their devices or thoughts? I say the couples are content and complete - as individuals and as a couple. What's the problem? I've been married 35 years and don't talk constantly with my husband. And how is kids sharing jokes "worse"than something? :p

Personally and this is just me, but people that walk along a busy city street heads down focused on the devices, alone or together, crossing intersections without even a glance or two to check for traffic is simply odd. But to each his/her own.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
people that walk along a busy city street heads down focused on the devices, alone or together, crossing intersections without even a glance or two to check for traffic is simply odd.
That's a slightly different take on the matter, and addresses something different from the "alone together" question.

I resonate more with Jirit and understand the pleasure of being alone together as well.
And they're two very different things.
It's possible to be alone together, not talking but being here and quietly with whatever is happening. For example, here, people tend to eat in silence but are totally present with the experience of eating and sharing a meal. It's lovely.
But when people are together and on their devices--there is a kind of absence, because each person is someplace else, communicating with someone else. If this happens over a meal, they're missing the meal and missing the occasion to be with each other here and now.
Sure, OK, it doesn't do any harm as @Castilian says. But I think it's sad, for many reasons.

I can't speak for other people - but I can for myself. I have recently bought a 'dumb' phone. One that makes calls and handles text messages. I found that I was addicted to my smart devices. Rather than enjoying the view for example - I was busy 'checking in' my wife and I to wherever it was. Then we would both deal with the comments and questions from friends and family while eating...then we would pay the bill and go.:(
Most telling for me - was how much I missed the connectivity when I chose not to have it. I felt anxious, worried.
I still engage fully with the online world (hence this post for example) but I do it in manageable chunks - and 'deliberate' times, rather than allowing it to dominate me.
I have found it very liberating and refreshing. I don't miss it at all now.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
still engage fully with the online world (hence this post for example) but I do it in manageable chunks - and 'deliberate' times, rather than allowing it to dominate me.
I have found it very liberating and refreshing. I don't miss it at all now.
Isn't it great to be able to be free of all that and really connect?
How to curb the use of these amazing devices so we don't become slaves to them is the basic question--of course important for both the Camino and the journey of life.

Isn't it great to be able to be free of all that and really connect?
How to curb the use of these amazing devices so we don't become slaves to them is the basic question--of course important for both the Camino and the journey of life.

Absolutely! I am no tech-phobe, but for me it has made a huge difference. Of course, I respect the right of others to use their time as they wish, however I do suspect that some (not all) may be missing some opportunities by wrapping themselves in an electronic comfort blanket. Each to their own I suppose.:cool:

I think that eating together is one of the basic human activities which has been most affected by this electronic "connectivity." When I was on holiday in a mountain resort with a friend, she answered her phone while we were eating and chatted with her daughter. I protested that I wanted to spend that time with her and she explained that her daughter had bought her the phone in order that she would be able to get in touch with her mother at all times. Finally, she agreed to turn her phone off at meal times so we could share that time.
I have a nephew who is resident in China, where this habit of being online while eating is even more common. When he visits family in Canada and we are dining in a restaurant, he will send a picture of the food on his plate, and by the end of the meal he may have 75 "likes". This came to its ultimate end at our 2015 "family" Christmas dinner, filmed in its entirety by the nephew for dissemination in China. I did not know that this would happen, had no choice about it, and said hardly a word during the whole of the dinner. I no longer wish to spend time with my family when that nephew is present.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But when people are together and on their devices--there is a kind of absence, because each person is someplace else, communicating with someone else. If this happens over a meal, they're missing the meal and missing the occasion to be with each other here and now.
Sure, OK, it doesn't do any harm as @Castilian says. But I think it's sad, for many reasons.

The questions are: Are they aware of what they are missing? Do they want to miss it? or, if you prefer, Do they prefer to miss it (because they find greater enjoyment on whatever they are doing with technology)? If they voluntarily and (fully) consciously renounce to things (like, in your example, a meal and being with other on the here and now) in favour of other things, that would be an expression of their free will and IMHO we aren't entitled to interfere on others' free will as well as we shouldn't judge the free-will based actions that others make. OTOH, if they are engulfed by the technology and aren't aware of all what they are missing as a result, a bit of pedagogy to create conscience about it wouldn't be a bad idea as long as a (good) oportunity arises to make it and as long as the person(s) involved don't refuse the pedagogy.

How to curb the use of these amazing devices so we don't become slaves to them is the basic question

I think the key word is self-examination. What use do you make of technology? How much time do you spend using technology? What % of your use of technology is essential (i.e.: really necessary)? What (else) could have you done with all the time you made a non-essential use of technolgy? How many of those other things could have provided you a greater enjoyment than that you got using technology? and so on.

I resonate more with Jirit and understand the pleasure of being alone together as well.
It's possible to be alone together, not talking but being here and quietly with whatever is happening. For example, in some cultures people tend to eat in silence but are totally present with the experience of eating and sharing a meal. It's lovely.

IMHO, not talking among them isn't enough to be alone together. It seems to me that on the example you quoted they have non-verbal communication among them. In other words, they are connected but not through talk. To illustrate my point with an example: Would you say two lovers that are just looking themselves (deeply) are alone together?

the "alone together" question

I'm going to give a different approach to the alone together question but just as food for thought (i.e.: no need to start a discussion on the thread about whatever thoughts it arise but if you want to start it anyway, be aware of forum rule number 2): Aren't most of us alone together with God?

Last edited by a moderator:
(so no replies/discussion about this approach in order to respect forum rule number 2): Aren't most of us alone together with God?
I am trying to figure out why someone would post a comment in a question form on a forum while forbidding any reply or response.

I am trying to figure out why someone would post a comment in a question form on a forum while forbidding any reply or response.

As I said, to provide some food for thought. The problem is that starting a discussion about the thoughts that question may arise would probably be ending in a breaking of forum rule number 2 (no discussions about religion -among other subjects- because they usually end in a fight) and the thread would be closed sooner than later so I'm afraid we can't discuss about it on the thread (even though, I, personally, wouldn't have any problem with it). Maybe out of the thread in a private conversation? Otherwise, consider it to be a rethorical question even if you don't agree with the point I'm making or if you don't think I'm making a point at all.

After all, the alone together approach I introduced isn't related with technology so it could be considered (a bit) off-topic and I don't want to (risk to) get a thread that I didn't open closed due to a (bit) off-topic discussion.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As I said, to provide some food for thought. The problem is that starting a discussion about the thoughts that question may arise would probably be ending in a breaking of forum rule number 2 (no discussions about religion -among other subjects- because they usually end in a fight) and the thread would be closed sooner than later so I'm afraid we can't discuss about it on the thread (even though, I, personally, wouldn't have any problem with it). Maybe out of the thread in a private conversation? Otherwise, consider it to be a rethorical question even if you don't agree with the point I'm making or if you don't think I'm making a point at all.

After all, the alone together approach I introduced isn't related with technology so it could be considered (a bit) off-topic and I don't want to (risk to) get a thread that I didn't open closed due to a (bit) off-topic discussion.

@Castilian:
My response was wholly visceral and had nothing to do with the topic you introduced, or your opinion on that topic. It just seemed that you had found a way to present your position or opinion on something, then say that due to forum rules no one else could reply. That seemed to me to be an odd thing to do on a forum. Besides, no one has yet been successful in preventing me from presenting my opinion on anything and you are not about to be the first. I am sorry if I misinterpreted your posting.
Perhaps there should be a private sub-forum on religion where camino pilgrims could share the topic which is so central to the intentions of so many of us without being ejected.

Perhaps there should be a private sub-forum on religion where camino pilgrims could share the topic which is so central to the intentions of so many of us without being ejected.

There's one called Catholics on the Camino aimed to Catholics. I don't recall if there are others aimed to other religions. I think there was one called non-Catholics on the camino or something like that. Anyway, on www.caminodesantiago.me/community, click on Special Camino Interests and you'll find a list with all the private sub-forums available. I'm a member just of the Spanish traditional culture one and it didn't have any activity in the last year... I don't know if the other ones will be more busy.

P.S.: My apologies to the people that may understand that I was trying to limit their freedom of speech. Probably, my wording wasn't the best one so I've thought about a new one and edited my post (number 46 on this thread) accordingly to express more accurately what I meant (that, of course, wasn't to limit anyone's freedom of speech).

@Castilian:

This is a nice idea but sadly there are so many religious bigots with big mouths and no brains and more importantly no respect for other fellow humans that the sub forum would quickly fall over

This is a nice idea but sadly there are so many religious bigots with big mouths and no brains and more importantly no respect for other fellow humans that the sub forum would quickly fall over
I hope that you are mistaken, as I have found so many persons of different religious persuasions who are open-hearted and profound on this forum. It is wonderful for me to be able to hear about their special experiences on the camino. I am indebted to all of them for their willingness to share as much as the forum regulations permit.

Aren't most of us alone together with God?
Isn't discovering that exactly the reason many are walking the Camino (whatever one calls 'God")?
And more to the point of this discussion--doesn't this require being completely present here and now rather than somewhere else? (Rhetorical question...because I feel pretty strongly that it does. My opinion.)
In meditation retreats, there is often the requirement of silence. Which includes besides vocal speech no reading, no writing, and certainly no devices--so as to really be present with what is, here and now, 100%. The Camino can be a hike or a retreat, and there are many possibilities partway in between those two options. So technology use needs to be appropriate to the intention of the peregrina/o.
You're right @Castilian. Definitely another thread.;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Isn't discovering that exactly the reason many are walking the Camino (whatever one calls 'God")?
And more to the point of this discussion--doesn't this require being completely present here and now rather than somewhere else? (Rhetorical question...because I feel pretty strongly that it does. My opinion.)
In meditation retreats, there is often the requirement of silence. Which includes besides vocal speech no reading, no writing, and certainly no devices--so as to really be present with what is, here and now, 100%. The Camino can be a hike or a retreat, and there are many possibilities partway in between those two options. So technology use needs to be appropriate to the intention of the peregrina/o.
You're right @Castilian. Definitely another thread.;)
I suppose I am replying to that other thread. I have participated in many silent retreats, most within religious communities. None fulfilled for me the spiritual purpose that I intended, although I always followed all the required behaviours and waited on inspiration. My camino last fall provided for me, without my doing anything but walking, pretty much a lifetime's worth of spiritual renewal. I knew that I was there in obedience to a call and I responded openly to what happened. That was all. For me, the camino fulfilled the promise of Isaiah 50: "Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters." For me, it was a place of refreshment. But the hike and the retreat were completely inseparable. And use of technology was irrelevant.

For me, the camino fulfilled the promise of Isaiah 50: "Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters." For me, it was a place of refreshment. But the hike and the retreat were completely inseparable. And use of technology was irrelevant.
Voila, Albertagirl! Well, whatever floats your boat. For some it's relevant, for you, obviously not. One thing I did notice is that you were exercising quite a bit of restraint. Hardly an addiction, I'd say;):
I reported home to family and friends via email about once a week, when wifi was available...I used it relatively little for entertainment or communication purposes.

.....I have a nephew who is resident in China, where this habit of being online while eating is even more common. When he visits family in Canada and we are dining in a restaurant, he will send a picture of the food on his plate, and by the end of the meal he may have 75 "likes". This came to its ultimate end at our 2015 "family" Christmas dinner, filmed in its entirety by the nephew for dissemination in China. I did not know that this would happen, had no choice about it, and said hardly a word during the whole of the dinner. I no longer wish to spend time with my family when that nephew is present.
@Albertagirl, please don't be so harsh on your nephew, at least not yet. You say he is a resident of China, and you refer to his visits to family in Canada. I expect that his friends in China have become his 'family' and when he visits his family in Canada, he does what his 'family' in China does. I am no expert but I believe that sitting down at a table for a meal with family and/or friends, and actually visiting with each other, is a learned behaviour. If his family of original used to do that, he may well have forgotten what it is like. From my own observations, and from what my kids have told me over the years, not every family sits down for a meal on a regular basis and, sad to say, not every person has 'family' with whom to get together in the first place. Perhaps your nephew just needs it drawn to his attention just how very fortunate and privileged he is to be part of a family that gets together once in a while. You didn't say how old this nephew is, but my guess is that he will be grateful, eventually anyway, to have had this brought to his attention.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

No, if they already believed in God before they started the Camino. Otherwise, maybe.

So technology use needs to be appropriate to the intention of the peregrina/o.

That's what I said 25 posts earlier...:

It depends on preferences, aim of the trip and many other personal questions. I don't think we can't make general statements here.

Voila, Albertagirl! Well, whatever floats your boat. For some it's relevant, for you, obviously not. One thing I did notice is that you were exercising quite a bit of restraint. Hardly an addiction, I'd say;):
I may not be addicted to the internet in general, but there is no doubt in my own mind that I am severely addicted to this forum. However, I don't suppose that I shall miss it when I am walking in the mountains for ten days, starting next week.

I may not be addicted to the internet in general, but there is no doubt in my own mind that I am severely addicted to this forum. However, I don't suppose that I shall miss it when I am walking in the mountains for ten days, starting next week.
:DThat makes 2 of us, Albertagirl.
And no, you probably won't. Wonderful!

I have participated in many silent retreats, most within religious communities. None fulfilled for me the spiritual purpose that I intended, although I always followed all the required behaviours and waited on inspiration. My camino last fall provided for me, without my doing anything but walking, pretty much a lifetime's worth of spiritual renewal. I knew that I was there in obedience to a call and I responded openly to what happened. That was all.
Surprisingly - as it was both unintended and with the full access and use of technology - I had a very similar experience.

Truly a time of walking and being fully in the World.

I always treasure a silent retreat that neighboured a property undergoing extensive earthworks. It was hysterical. Everyone used our brief daily meeting with our teacher to complain about the noise! The last couple of days were the weekend so no work, no more noise - and everyone was complaining that they couldn't meditate as it was 'too quiet' :p

As a very wise person once told me on another retreat after hours of writing lists of where God was and wasn't, what if it's all G(o)od?

I choose to look at technology as both noise and necessity in the modern world.

Beautiful post, Wokabaut_Meri!
My time on the Camino is obviously not so connected as some, but still in the world--and I have to say (like you and Albertagirl) that it's definitely been 'retreat time'. And certainly more integrated into everyday life than silent solitary practice. For me both are good, but of course very different:
Truly a time of walking and being fully in the World.
Like that! Perfectly said, thank you.

I always treasure a silent retreat that neighboured a property undergoing extensive earthworks. It was hysterical. Everyone used our brief daily meeting with our teacher to complain about the noise! The last couple of days were the weekend so no work, no more noise - and everyone was complaining that they couldn't meditate as it was 'too quiet' :p
Ha ha ha ha......
Yes, I know this one well. When people come to meditate with gauzy idealistic ideas of silent sanctuaries, they get a very rude wake-up call. Village loudspeakers...traffic noise...local people coming into the meditation hall and photographing the foreigners. Well, it's just noise...but...:eek:
Well, eventually it becomes another doorway, which is a wonderful thing.
I choose to look at technology as both noise and necessity in the modern world.
You point out the potential, Meri...using the technology skillfully and well so that it's both useful and not a source of disconnection but a source of deeper inquiry and understanding. I wish I could remember each time I log in to ask myself 'Why am I doing this?'...and not logging in if the answer is not something that's strictly necessary.

Yes, it was most definitely a retreat time but what one of my teachers would call meditation in action ie get your bum off the cushions, go out into the world and DO something!

Interesting because a meditation or spiritual retreat, particularly a silent one, can also be viewed as Alone Together ;)

€149,-
Yes, precisely because there is activity--and just enough solitude.

Interesting because a meditation or spiritual retreat, particularly a silent one, can also be viewed as Alone Together ;)
Is it ever!:D
Get 100 people in one place doing that and it always gets really 'interesting.' In total silence.

Food...for your thoughts...I will be walking in about a week. I will bring a phone for emergency purposes only. This may be a naive perspective but I feel that no one walks the Camino by chance. There is a force greater than us that draws only certain people to the Camino. At the same time, those who we get the opportunity to interact with bring new perspectives and in some cases enlightenment? Again, this is a force that cannot be easily explained. It draws us into the experience without malice or a predetermined outcome other than personal growth. Those of different generations (Xer's, Yer's, Zer's etc...), will have their own unique experience that should be both respected and admire regardless if they find solace in the stars, the trees, the churches, the food, the bed bugs, the wine, the iPhone, the blisters, the laughs, the friendships, the heartbreaks, isolation, prayer, and whatever the Camino (St. James) has in store. We all have a great opportunity to embark on this personal journey. To me that is what it is ...a personal journey. Conversations will happen when they are suppose to. I am prepared for the unexpected.

With warm and sincere prayers for all!

Buen Camino...

Everything salient has been said above. I would only add that I consider my iPhone to be a toolbox. When something needs fixing (or arranging or finding) I use the appropriate tool. When done, the toolbox is CLOSED again.

I use the smart phone. The smart phone does NOT use ME. I share the comments / chagrin above about walking into a public place and seeing every pilgrim in there glued to their smart phone or tablet screens. They could have stayed home and done that much...

However, and since it is not my mein to NOT say SOMETHING when on the Forum, I would like to chime in and add that I found my most used Spain and Camino-specific (tools) apps on my April 2016 walk from Madrid (terminated at Sarria for medical reasons) included (for what it is worth):
  • Booking.com - for arranging advance lodging, it includes many private albergues, hostals, and hotels
  • Wise Pilgrim Guides - the Camino Frances, once I arrived at Leon, I was on the Wise Radar Screen. They have not yet done the Madrid Route. I know because I contacted them ahead of time and asked, pretty please...
  • Maps.me - for following a downloaded GPS track. It really helped to know both exactly where I was on a new (for me route) and how many km I had to go to reach SOMETHING / ANYTHING (especially on the more remote portions of the Madrid Route). Worked better than Wikilocs.
  • Google Maps - for in-town street address navigation in new towns not previously visited. It was a HUGE help in new towns.
  • Google Translate - to make myself better understood, it was a Godsend at the many farmacias I had to visit this trip before pain compelled me to pull the plug, and to write e-mails in Spanish to change too many advance hostal reservations.
  • Misas.org - for finding Catholic Mass in any Spanish town...links to your map apps
  • Eltiempo.es+ - IMHO THE authoritative weather source for nearly every village and hamlet across the Camino (the best I've yet found)
  • Correos.es - for finding post offices to send stuff downstream to Ivar at Santiago
  • ALSA - for locating buses and determining schedules
  • RENFE Ticket - For finding train schedules and booking tickets online
Some of these apps had to be obtained from the Spanish iTunes app store www.apple.es/itunes. Go into your home iTunes account settings, change your country / region to Spain, download the apps. Then change your country / region back to your home location. The apps will continue to be updated internationally...a neat feature, from Apple anyway...

I cannot speak to how the Android world works in this regard. But I DO know that most all of these apps ARE available for Android.

I know this because I met a Spanish fellow (I will call him Ray) this last time out, in early April, who wanted to know everything I knew. Apparently, Ray "follows me" on the Forum and was actually pleased to meet me on the Camino. Sheesh, I have at least one groupie...go figure!!! Still, it is reassuring to know that at least one person out there appreciates some of what I offer as helpful information and advice here. I do try to provide value...

Anyway, Ray had a Samsung smart phone and, as he asked me to show him each app I was using on MY Camino, proceeded to immediately download each of the Spanish apps I mentioned above (Misas.org, Eltiempo.es+, Correos.es...) directly from the Spanish Android app site. He already had ALSA and RENFE. This was accomplished while we were walking together for a while. I later met Ray at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. He thanked me for all the good information and told me it helped him greatly on his Camino. One cannot have a better endorsement than that...

So, to those who wish to do a Camino without these helpful reference tools, I say have at it. Everyone does their own Camino, and doing it "old school" is certainly one valid way. I heartily endorse doing your Camino sans web-enabled apps or tools, if that floats your boat. However, being 63 now, and with a range of medical issues, I prefer to have the safety net of these reference tools available to me.

Remember, as I said in my opening, above, I use the tools, the tools do not use me... That, I submit is the key. Then again, being the age I am, I did not go from my mother's breast directly to a smart phone...like far too many of the younger generation.

Yeah, I guess a comment like that DOES tend to date me. But, I have worked around advanced technology my entire career. I learned when and how to use it, and to avoid anything that sought to control, confine, restrict, or define me. Yet, I still remember carbon paper. I just loved the priceless blank stare from my now-27 year old nephew when I asked him if he new what carbon paper was...but I digress...

Moreover, since I am well out of that period of a young man's life where he usually considers himself immortal and invincible, my family also appreciates being able to reach out and touch me anywhere in the world. I DO like to travel and I do go far afield.

On Camino, I usually turn off the cellular voice call capability, keeping only data online. Thus, I can receive e-mail and text messages from anyone, anywhere. However, I SWITCH MY RINGER TO SILENT MODE. It vibrates, but I am seldom interrupted. Even the untimely death of a friend of family member can wait until my next rest stop, or end of day...it did, and makes little difference to what I am doing then and there. When one is on Camino, life continues in the background... it is helpful to your Camino to remain detached from "your life" to the extent possible.

I hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love paper maps, but google earth is a pretty good invention. It was a game changer for me when someone told me that you dont need phone signal to have really detailed maps there on a device. Now all I need is to work out how to carry my ipad in a more accessible way, rather than in the rucksack itself. As for not having the bit of the map that you need, well, I think that paper maps are even worse on that score! Remember trying to work out where you were, in a howling gale, and needing to put 2 (or more) paper maps together to do so?!!!!

Just a thought - I can read a map, and can generally work out where I am without GPS. How many people have that old fashioned skill nowadays?

I am a professional geographer (GIS Expert) and use GPS regularly in my work, however I did the Camino with my daughter low-tech. I am happy to say that my daughter can indeed read a hard copy map (I pretended to get us lost, acted frustrated and turned the job over to her...wink) and she rose to the challenge. However I can tell you that many people have no ability/experience in using a traditional map, orienting themselves by sun or shadow. When my daughter would ask if we were lost, I would look at our shadow and tell her it was in front of us, so we must be headed west. Being able to read a map was especially useful in the larger towns, such as Lugo and Santiago. And will add that Santiago is worth exploring outside the cathedral area for those who have time. A very pedestrian city with a terrific downtown too, completely accessible by foot from the old town.

I am a professional geographer (GIS Expert) and use GPS regularly in my work, however I did the Camino with my daughter low-tech. I am happy to say that my daughter can indeed read a hard copy map (I pretended to get us lost, acted frustrated and turned the job over to her...wink) and she rose to the challenge. However I can tell you that many people have no ability/experience in using a traditional map, orienting themselves by sun or shadow. When my daughter would ask if we were lost, I would look at our shadow and tell her it was in front of us, so we must be headed west. Being able to read a map was especially useful in the larger towns, such as Lugo and Santiago. And will add that Santiago is worth exploring outside the cathedral area for those who have time. A very pedestrian city with a terrific downtown too, completely accessible by foot from the old town.

When my daughter would ask if we were lost, I would look at our shadow and tell her it was in front of us, so we must be headed west.

It may seem obvious but let's recall it anyway. When your shadow is in front of you, you aren't always headed to the west. The hour of the day (or, if you prefer, the location of the sun within the sky) is the key to orient yourself using your shadow.

€149,-
When my daughter would ask if we were lost, I would look at our shadow and tell her it was in front of us, so we must be headed west.

... I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.