• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alone

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, if you feel like it. Alone is very good. I went alone, always.

I enjoyed my private days on the camino: Noone to take care of but myself.

But I also enjoyed cooking together in the evenings, share a coffee or beer on the way, and I made friends on the way and in the albergues. Hard to tell what is right. I got some good friends on all of my caminos; Wouldn't have missed them. And I will actually walk with one camino friend this spring: You might find soulmates on the trail.

But basically, your'e on your own. It is good.

Buen Camino!

Edit: I actually booked the flight tonight. Point of no return has passed... So this year will also contain a Camino for me... Yeyahhh.... (From Porto to SdC and then on to Finisterre)

Yeyahhh is right. Doing the Camino Frances myself again this Spring.

One of the greatest gifts the Camino bestows is the opportunity to meet and enjoy so many people of diverse character and backgrounds. Not sure I would have been granted this opportunity, had I already had a companion.

Happy Trails, Alex

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yep. Whatever feeds your spirit and elevates your soul. Do that.

I imagine alone can be great. But don't estimate the power of walking with others. We walked as a couple with eight children and their grandfather - and benefited greatly for the experience. What precious memories we have created. What wonderful lessons learnt about putting others' needs before our own abilities/desires.

I'd say both ways can work.

However you want to do it is how you should do it.

But don't get into the mindset of 'the camino has to be done X way', or you're going to miss a lot of what the Camino is all about.

I started alone, but ended with some really great people.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lise T said:
However, in saying that...what worries me most...isnt the bed bugs, the snorers, the sore feet, the communal showers....its how will I deal with those people that want to chat and walk. :D

Maybe learn a few words of some exotic language, and pretend you don't speak English....... :D :D

I agree.
I believe that much of the Camino experience revolves around the opportunity to have time for oneself. It is a time to enjoy and use with no responsibility for the day other than to move forward.
That was one of the greatest gifts the Camino gave me.

no responsibility for the day other than to move forward
Well said. All walking partners are millstones of one size or another. :D I have always enjoyed the company of the ones I have brought along, but always walked at my own pace even with them. The best partners are the ones who are willing to stop anytime either wants to stop. Friends you find while walking usually have their own agenda, so won't stop when you want, but also are very easy to leave behind. The odds are that you will meet them later. Yes. I think alone is best, but there are several other satisfactory arrangements.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Originally I was going to walk the camino on my own . Then John ( my husband ) decided he would come too. I cannot imagine how I would have felt if I'd left him at home ... It was a revelation for us to do this together, but we also tried to give each other space, and walk alone for at least part of every day. Also we had other lovely walking companions. I appreciate that not everyone can, or wants, to walk with their partner, but for us it was perfect.

I've been thinking about this topic recently, as I have had a few doubts creep into my mind about whether I really want to walk another camino on which I'm the only pilgrim. I'm planning to start in Valencia in early May on the Camino de Levante. The last few summers, I've been all alone for long chunks of time (on the Invierno or the Vadiniense or Salvador) and it gets hard sometimes. But then when my solitary camino joins up with the Vdlp or the Frances or the Primitivo and I finally make a "camino family," I realize that I much prefer to walk alone. Go figure.

For me, the perfect combination is to have it both ways -- to be part of a group, to make a group decision on where to end the next day, to share meals and post-walking time with that group, and to walk bits and pieces with members of that group during the day as we run into each other sitting by a stream or at a cafe, etc. But I like to start out on my own, decide when to stop for a coffee, decide when I want to take a detour to see a church or pillory or crucifix or some other monument.

Falcon's comment struck a chord -- it makes me think that maybe I'm being too selfish, because I do think he's right that "the best partners are the ones who are willing to stop anytime either wants to stop."

Will be walking the first two weeks of my first Camino with my son starting on St Patricks Day. He flies home on Holy Thursday so to tell the truth I dont know what to expect. He started on his own March 2012 and made some good friendsalong the way so hoping I will be the same. I like walking alone for a few hours but at the same time, Burgos to Santiago seems a long time to be alone for me

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also started and walked alone. I loved the occasional talks during the day, wether walking or at the coffeestops but preferred to walk alone for the rest of the time. Again in the evenings I liked the company : for a beer, communal diner etc...
On my third day in Obanos I met a nice lady and we bonded nicely. We more or less arranged to meet in the evenings and liked each others company. But we also gave each other the much needed personal space.
After a while she decided to build in a rest day and I walked on. Lots of people from " our Camino family " couldn't understand this... . but we figured that is was a mere coincidence we met in the first place and we shouldn't feel obliged to stay together. BTW we are still in contact now, don't live that far from each other and we meet up regularly.

My next Camino starts with a week on the ruta del Ebro and this will be a solitary affair...I'm quietly looking forward to the lonely walks but I will also enjoy the conversations with the albergue/ bar owners, shopassistants etc...

tpmchugh said:
I like walking alone for a few hours but at the same time, Burgos to Santiago seems a long time to be alone for me
Even when you walk without a companion, it would be unusual to be alone for this time, unless you completely shun albergues, bars and cafes where there will be other pilgrims. Even during the day, there will be other pilgrims walking around you, although not necessarily close. Some of them will want to chat and might walk with you for a time.

Clearly, some who walk alone want to remain in solitude. They might be polite enough to say so rather than leave you in the embarrassing position of attempting to strike up a conversation with someone who becomes completely unresponsive after greetings are exchanged. Although that unresponsiveness might be their own way of imparting the information that they don't want company, its just as easy to say something like 'I am planning to walk alone for a while/until the next village/to reflect on my camino. Enjoy your own walk.'

tpmchugh said:
I like walking alone for a few hours but at the same time, Burgos to Santiago seems a long time to be alone for me
You will have walked 260km by the time you reach Burgos and will be well settled into the Camino family just make sure you get used to the ways of the Camino before Burgos i.e. accomodation, meals etc. There are two others also leaving SJPDP on 17th March, see calendar. We leave SJPDP 18th March, chances are our paths will cross. Have a good trip.
Slán go fóill.
Buen Camino.
Des. :lol:

This has become one of my favourite threads, with many insightful and delightful thoughts. Buen Camino, wes.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I guess it depends on your definition of alone. One is never really alone on the Frances, imo, unless possibly during the Winter.

I prefer to walk at my own pace and interact periodically with others I meet along the path. I might have a conversation with someone on a coffee break, at lunch, dinner or in the Albergue. I enjoy walking alone, to be totally alone with my thoughts only distracted by nature. I see the Camino as an introspective journey.

That said, I do not mind, occasionally planning an end point. I believes it is difficult to avoid becoming part of a Camino family on the Frances. Evenings are very communal and you develop attachments, to many, for a variety of reasons.

A short digression. I remember a German fellow I came across early on my first Camino. I usually say hello to those I meet along the way. I had on several occasions seen this fellow and said hello. He never responded. In Santa Domingo de la Calzada, I was in the Cathedral. He came up to me and said He had been in the Cathedral for an hour and could not find the Chicken. I took him to the room and pointed out the Rooster and Hen in the loft. By the time we got to Triacastella, we new quite a bit about each other.

If one really wants to be alone, w/o other Pilgrims, I would recommend one of the less traveled routes.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
jpflavin1 said:
If one really wants to be alone, w/o other Pilgrims, I would recommend one of the less traveled routes.
Ultreya,
Joe

If you do launch on one of these routes, unless you are a hardcore solo uberpilgrim of the Lovingkindness and Winterpilgrim kind, I'd be a bit mindful of going without any human contact for long periods of time. Frankly I found myself turning a little bit 'squirrely' :shock: on some sections of jacobsweg-the kind of route where you meet no one at all not to mind another pilgrim. I know my limit now and, if I haven't met another soul for more than 3 days, I head off track 'hit the tar' and make for human habitation. This is especially the case walking through sections of interminable coniferous 'Foret'
On the CF that's not going to be a problem of course and rosary beads prominently displayed are reported to repel unwanted company very effectively (wasn't that Rebs cunning strategy shared on an previous thread? Thought course she also uses her beads for praying!)

What an outstanding and thoughtful presentation of different points of view. Demonstrates once again that there is no one right way to do the Camino. All roads: the long and winding; the high road, the low road; or indeed, the road less travelled by; all lead to Santiago. I can certainly see the appeal in doing the Camino with family members, the significant other or the old buddies.

The social communion of pilgrims is an integral part of the Camino and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. I was in fact referring to the pilgrim who embarks upon the Camino by himself. Most people would view the prospect of travelling thousands of miles to a foreign country to walk for six weeks by themselves with a certain amount of trepidation. However, they would find, as I did that once actually on the Camino, this was a highly desirable state. Solitude or social conviviality could be enjoyed with equal ease. I met many pilgrims who were alone, but none who were lonely.

Groups would spontaneously form, flicker into life, burn brightly with good cheer and dissolve as some chose stay behind and others sped ahead. Only to start up again with another cast of characters, some new and some old. A moveable feast, one you could drop out of to enjoy solitude or rejoin when you felt like company. Alcohol was often involved, but strangely, although my consumption increased a hundredfold from what it is at home, I never felt healthier.

On a practical note, one would be hard pressed to find a group of old buddies who have the requisite physical capacity, the time, the funds and the freedom from responsibility to undertake the classic five week Camino Frances in the Spring. In addition, it would be rare that two or more people could walk at the same pace for some eight hundred kilometres. Far from a deterrent, this is actually an opportunity to enjoy a truly memorable time by yourself.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.