• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alpriate Albergue 2018

peregrina2000

Staff member
F6574292-F967-42D9-8C62-55C97E15CEBF.jpegC8315DE4-D76F-4A01-8040-1A803074F5B6.jpegI spent the day with my ViaLusitana friends and was lucky to get a peek at the Alpriate albergue. Some forum members might remember that the ViaLusitana got an APOC grant to replace and raise the roof at the albergue (so that pilgrims would not bump their heads on the ceiling anymore). The work is going well, and though the pictures might make it look otherwise, the major work has been done. A bit of wallboard, some electrical work, and a weekend clean-up are all that remains.

Though the repairs are going well, the albergue will have a later opening this year. April 2 (day after Easter) is the absolute latest opening date, but it may be earlier. I will post any updates that I get.
8415ACCF-6421-4732-ADE4-9BC74E027B59.jpeg 78C32AB8-FB09-4075-85CF-54A2981F55A2.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Such a great little albergue. Best start to any Camino.

What a wonderful improvement!
That low ceiling, combined with my arthritis, continually had me in one of three predicaments.
1. Banging my head as I attempted to make/strip the bed or move about the room.
2. Lying flat on my back on the floor, to the consternation of fellow male pilgrims, as I modestly attempted to pull my undies on and my socks off.
3. Startling lady pilgrims when they unexpectedly came across me dressing or undressing in the upstairs foyer, after giving up on the attempt to do so within the confines of the male bedroom.

Not only have you solved my problem, but I'm sure the ladies would agree that an emotional one, of a much greater magnitude, has been solved for them.
Kind regards and well done!
Gerard

EDIT
Just checked out the photographs.
I hope that part of what I was looking at was the ceiling of the men's bedroom!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
EDIT
Just checked out the photographs.
I hope that part of what I was looking at was the ceiling of the men's bedroom!

Absolutely. Most of the improvements have involved raising the roofline (and consequently the ceiling height) on the second floor (where all the beds are).

Pilgrims starting out from Lisbon this month should aldo know that there is at least one private option in Alpriate (two beds in a room with private bath, 30€) and that by sleeping the first night in Parque Naçoes you can get beyond Alpriate without much difficulty.

There is still a lot of rain in the forecast, but on the ride out and back to Alpriate yesterday, one big change in the countryside was apparent from just a few days earlier -- the fields are turning bright green everywhere!

That's a shame the Alpriate Albergue won't be open to April 2nd. We were planning to stay there March 26th. Looks like we may need to walk on a little further - Thanks for the update peregrina2000

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is possible that it will be open. Make sure to check back. The Via Lusitana has set that as the latest date and are hopeful that the work will be done earlier.
Thanks for the news. I'll check a little closer to the time :)

[QUOTE="peregrina2000, post: 592713, member: 537" by sleeping the first night in Parque Naçoes you can get beyond Alpriate without much difficulty. [/QUOTE]
If planning to stay at Patque Naçoes you might want to reserve a bed. The hostel is used by some of the many tourists to Lisbon, and we were not able to get beds, even in late October. We were able to book a nearby Airbnb room. We wanted to take it easy on our first few days.

That is the only albergue in town. When I stayed there last year we had 20 people in there. A Polish extended family with 7 or 8 people showed up about 9:00PM. The albergue was full and the church was full. We all gave them our pillows and blankets and they slept on the floor. It was actually a nice way to start the Camino. Good to see that they are remodeling the place. It needs it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for the update. We planned to stay there on the 27th of March so we need make alternative arrangements

That is the only albergue in town. When I stayed there last year we had 20 people in there. A Polish extended family with 7 or 8 people showed up about 9:00PM. The albergue was full and the church was full. We all gave them our pillows and blankets and they slept on the floor. It was actually a nice way to start the Camino. Good to see that they are remodeling the place. It needs it.

I know that there are blankets in the Alpriate albergue, and the charge is 1€ because they clean them after use to avoid the bed bug problem.

There is no church in Alpriate, though. The hospitaleros help overflow pilgrims by finding other private options.

I appreciate the kindness that it involves to let in a large group after the hospitalero has left, but you can be sure that the Via Lusitana would much prefer to get a call. I am sure this happens a lot, but there are legal issues when a licensed facility goes over occupancy limits.

View attachment 39876View attachment 39877I spent the day with my ViaLusitana friends and was lucky to get a peek at the Alpriate albergue. Some forum members might remember that the ViaLusitana got an APOC grant to replace and raise the roof at the albergue (so that pilgrims would not bump their heads on the ceiling anymore). The work is going well, and though the pictures might make it look otherwise, the major work has been done. A bit of wallboard, some electrical work, and a weekend clean-up are all that remains.

Though the repairs are going well, the albergue will have a later opening this year. April 2 (day after Easter) is the absolute latest opening date, but it may be earlier. I will post any updates that I get.
View attachment 39874View attachment 39875
Hello, do you know if Alpriate is open as of March 14?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, not open yet, but there are some rooms available in town if you arrive and ask in the bar that is around the corner from the albergue. Are you walking today?
I’m not familiar with this forum and replied via my email. I arrived today and will start walking tomorrow. Approximately how much are the rooms you mentioned?

No, not open yet, but there are some rooms available in town if you arrive and ask in the bar that is around the corner from the albergue. Are you walking today?
We went through the other day and no one offered any alternatives at the cafe....had to walk the 30 plus Kms on a rainy day to Alverca, All accomodation is off the Camino and our feet were so sore that we caught a train to Villafranca De Xira where there was definate accomodation at a Hostel.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We went through the other day and no one offered any alternatives at the cafe....had to walk the 30 plus Kms on a rainy day to Alverca, All accomodation is off the Camino and our feet were so sore that we caught a train to Villafranca De Xira where there was definate accomodation at a Hostel.

I’m not familiar with this forum and replied via my email. I arrived today and will start walking tomorrow. Approximately how much are the rooms you mentioned?

Wow, @Trude, this sounds like a rough day. I hope things improve for you. I don't know if we are talking about the same café in Alpriate. The cafe that I am mentioning is not on the camino. You have to keep going past the albergue when you come into town, and turn to the right, whereas the camino turns to the left. If you ask there, the woman can put you in touch with the owner of the rooms. I think they are 30€ for a room with two beds, but I am not completely certain.

There are also reports from waterlogged and discouraged pilgrims on the Camino de Madrid right now, hang in there, guys! Buen camino, Laurie

Yes the only cafe it’s off the Camino a little. Had the best soup.....WJW most of the rooms we have stayed at have been $35 for two some had breakfast included, all with private bathrooms. The best was Quinta Da Burra outside of Porta De Muge. $20 per person including bfast donativo Dinner excellent. We have not found an Albergue on the Camino open yet. Bom Camino

We are walking through Alpriate on the 1st of April. It looks like they might not be open. Can we get a train from Alverca easy enough Trude? It looks like we will walk from Lisbon to Alverca, then get the train to Azambuja. I don't fancy the walk out from Villafranca as we did it a couple of years ago and I remember long roads through industrial sections and a gravel track that seemed to go for miles alongside a railway line. I think we could get off the train in Azambuja and stay in the albergue there, if it's open in April.

Any advice welcome. Thanks guys.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Easy to get a train, just go to the station no booking ticket they run often...it’s about 2.50 end of the line is Tomar.

Brilliant Trude. Thank you.

Yes the only cafe it’s off the Camino a little. Had the best soup.....WJW most of the rooms we have stayed at have been $35 for two some had breakfast included, all with private bathrooms. The best was Quinta Da Burra outside of Porta De Muge. $20 per person including bfast donativo Dinner excellent. We have not found an Albergue on the Camino open yet. Bom Camino
Thanks for the information!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow, @Trude, this sounds like a rough day. I hope things improve for you. I don't know if we are talking about the same café in Alpriate. The cafe that I am mentioning is not on the camino. You have to keep going past the albergue when you come into town, and turn to the right, whereas the camino turns to the left. If you ask there, the woman can put you in touch with the owner of the rooms. I think they are 30€ for a room with two beds, but I am not completely certain.

There are also reports from waterlogged and discouraged pilgrims on the Camino de Madrid right now, hang in there, guys! Buen camino, Laurie
It’s kinda funny, I bought a trekking umbrella for this Caminho and I’m not able to use it because of the high winds that have accompanied the rain. I have seen a lot of umbrellas that have been turned inside out left on the side of the street. Oh well, sunny days are just around the corner. Thanks for the information on the rooms.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back