• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

al's wife's issues

scapaflo

I am 57years old. before I set foot outside my house it is major overhaultime. tampons are a distant memory. it is eyebrows, eyelashes, lipstick,concealer,facecream ,on and on.... I really feelfor anyone who has to look at me sans makeup. this is a concern. help?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh, scapaflo - estar tranquilo!
I have seldom seen any woman of a certain age with any makeup on the camino. That includes me. I'm way older than you, and on the camino I'm au naturel, and you will be pleasantly surprised to find most women are. On my first camino, I had the same anxieties that you feel. They were gone on day 2. Just to be clear, no foundation, no eye liner, no mascara, no lipstick, no blush, no tweezing. Only sun screen.
So jump in with both feet! You will feel liberated and energized to go forward as your real self! And what I found? The time it takes me to get ready for work here at home: 20 minutes. The time it takes to get ready to walk in the morning on the camino: 3 minutes. The extra time and self confidence: Priceless.

lynne

Don't women on the camino wear makeup, shock-horror. To be honest I did not notice, they were all loverly:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok true confessions here. :oops: ..I brought one small tube of mascara. That's it. SO..ready in 3.5 min! :wink:

Truthfully...no one does notice or care about stuff like that on the road. And honestly at home I don't leave home without it either. But when you working hard physically, it just seems to get in the way, at least in my humble opinion! Enjoy the freedom and just remember the sunscreen! When you get to Santiago...buy yourself something as a treat!

Buen Camino, Karin

i wade in way above my fighting weight here
and at the risk of committing blog-suicide.....
i walked for a while with a dutch woman (i miss you Hilde)
she did the zero make-up thing
but
in the evenings, she had a black sarong / scarf which she creatively used to wrap around herself to make herself look a million dollars
she said you dont have to look like a pilgrim just cause you are one

I did notice a few women on the Camino with makeup, but I think that they were in the minority. I guessed that they were not staying in albergues, where the limited washroom facilities preclude much cosmetic time. But, as others have noted, it does not seem to be much of a preoccupation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I actually saw one woman on the Camino in 2006, in Burgos, who wore makeup, hairspray, and PANTY HOSE on the Camino.

Of course, everyone else rolled their eyes at her...

But hey.. it's HER Camino!

Personally, I left all makeup at home AND chopped my hair short.
It was SO liberating!

to those who responded to my post re make up and all of that important business ...thank you and I
will start to try to wrap my mind around the whole idea of going around without make up. I will remember the sunscreen and the sunscreen for lips as well . Again , thank you very much.
Al's wife

Dear Scapaflo,

Just remember, there won't be anyone you know on the Camino. They won't know if you normally wear makeup or not! :D They will see you as another pilgrim, just like them. :shock:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wazzat? :? .. and there I was thinking ScapaFlow had some association with obsolete, scuttled pre WW1 dreadnoughts! :eek:
happy trails
Peter

i wade in way above my fighting weight here
and at the risk of committing blog-suicide.....
i walked for a while with a dutch woman (i miss you Hilde)
she did the zero make-up thing
but
in the evenings, she had a black sarong / scarf which she creatively used to wrap around herself to make herself look a million dollars
she said you dont have to look like a pilgrim just cause you are one
Ha ha - brave man! I did laugh at that. I plan to do much the same :)

I wear sunscreening lip gloss, with a bit of colour in it. I'm all glamour.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well,I'm over 70 now and wouldn't be seen dead without my eyebrows. For my own sake I take a small bag with eyebrow pencil and for use in cities a small sized mascara and eyeshadow. My cancer council facial sunscreen/moisturiser is tinted. I have seen younger women apply full face makeup in the morning.

Here in France le look sport est trés chic ! Small fortunes are spent on monthly gym fees, hiking boots are often worn to stroll along the Champs-Élysées in autumn and winter, and multitudes wear designer backpacks. Attitude is all.

My first camino reinforced basic priorities the hard way. In Villadangos del Paramo glanced in a mirror one morning my face appeared tanned and slimmer; I briefly thought ‘not too bad, considering’. 10 km later after crossing the long medieval bridge at Hospital de Órbigo I lost my footing and fell head first onto the irregular pavement!
An egg quickly swelled on my forehead; by day’s end and for the next weeks I resembled Cyclopes with a vivid black and blue shiner. Indeed in my case "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Now after all these years and 10 caminos clean, matching hiking socks are the height of what I dare consider camino chic.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back