• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ALSA bus - advance ticket purchase & change?

TMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
Our flight from Montreal arrives in Madrid at 12:05 PM. The first bus to Burgos from Madrid Barajas Terminal 4 is at 1:15. Would love to make that bus but it's an extremely tight connection. The next bus leaves at 3:15. I just checked the seats available on the earlier bus and about a third of them have been taken. On one other occasion I made a change to ALSA bus tickets going from SdC to Porto and the change had to be made 24 hours in advance, but that was an international route. So...does anyone know whether this would be the policy for the bus to Burgos?

(Checked the ALSA Faqs, but no mention about this.)

Thanks you any help.

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't know the answer to your question, but I would say the chances of you retrieving your luggage, clearing Customs and Immigration, and finding the bus stop in an hour are slim to zero. Go for the later bus!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for all replies.

I booked the later bus and bought tickets on ALSA's site. (Have to use Paypal to make purchase if you are purchasing from the U.S.)

In the unlikely event that we clear Spanish Immigration and retrieve our large bag from the bag claim area in time for the earlier bus, I'll rush to the ALSA counter and see if our tickets can be used on the earlier departure assuming that bus has available seats.

Muchas gracias.

Tom

I forgot to mention - Terminal 4 at Barajas is about the size of Wales. It has its own underground shuttle train. It's a nightmare to navigate.

Sorry you have had trouble there.
I find it to be one of the easiest airports I've been to.
The signage is all in English and there are green-coated customer service people all over the place who will help you.

The buses leave from right outside the door of Terminal 4.
To me, it's a piece of cake.

Heathrow? Now THAT is a nightmare airport!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for all replies.

I booked the later bus and bought tickets on ALSA's site. (Have to use Paypal to make purchase if you are purchasing from the U.S.)

In the unlikely event that we clear Spanish Immigration and retrieve our large bag from the bag claim area in time for the earlier bus, I'll rush to the ALSA counter and see if our tickets can be used on the earlier departure assuming that bus has available seats.

Muchas gracias.

Tom
That's the plan that I would have suggested.

Sorry you have had trouble there.
I find it to be one of the easiest airports I've been to.
The signage is all in English and there are green-coated customer service people all over the place who will help you.

The buses leave from right outside the door of Terminal 4.
To me, it's a piece of cake.

Heathrow? Now THAT is a nightmare airport!
I agree about Heathrow - my least favourite airport in the western hemisphere! However, I was at T4 at Barajas this morning (to catch a bus) and I struggled to find the right place. Made it ok, but I had left plenty of time in hand. I just find it all a bit overwhelming when I walk in. Mind you, I am getting on a bit......(looks for sympathy vote)

I agree about Heathrow - my least favourite airport in the western hemisphere! However, I was at T4 at Barajas this morning (to catch a bus) and I struggled to find the right place. Made it ok, but I had left plenty of time in hand. I just find it all a bit overwhelming when I walk in. Mind you, I am getting on a bit......(looks for sympathy vote)

Giving Glen a big hug.
But you made it right?
Buen Camino, Glen!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, thanks, Annie, a nice trip through the mountains to Logrono and then a local bus to Los Arcos. Walked back to Logrono today in beautiful weather.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back