• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ALSA Bus from Pamplona

kfm

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2019)
Hello, I just booked a ticket on the ALSA bus from Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port. My ticket says that boarding is closed 30 min before departure time. How strict is this? Trying to decide which RENFE train to book from Barcelona. One would arrive about 5 min ahead of the "boarding closing" time, but 35 min ahead of the departure time, and I'm wondering if that is cutting it too close. Thanks in advance!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You won't make it! The 30 minute boarding rule isn't strictly enforced, but even so, that's not enough time to make this journey. Especially allowing for disembarking the train, finding your way out of the station, finding a taxi, driving through traffic, orienting yourself at the bus station (it's underground, and quite big) and getting on the right bus.

Take an earlier train and enjoy a rest in Pamplona - it's a beautiful town.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Probably won't make it but there's always a chance. They may allow a Peregrino on late.

Here's the fastest way to the Bus Station.

Buen Camino.

Hello, I just booked a ticket on the ALSA bus from Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port. My ticket says that boarding is closed 30 min before departure time. How strict is this? Trying to decide which RENFE train to book from Barcelona. One would arrive about 5 min ahead of the "boarding closing" time, but 35 min ahead of the departure time, and I'm wondering if that is cutting it too close. Thanks in advance!
I don’t understand why your ticket says that boarding closes half an hour before the bus leaves... I have not taken that journey but I use the bus station to go to Bilbao most years and see that buses usually are ready to take passengers about ten minutes before departure time. I know exactly how to get from the train station to the bus station, as I know that area well, but you would have to be a smart walker to get to the bus station, with the excellent map shown above, with time to spare to locate the bus platform.

Funnily enough I was in Pamplona station two weeks ago, waiting for my bus to Puente - I had also made sure I was 30 minutes early, like the ticket said. I was chatting to pilgrims waiting for that bus.
The departure boards don't show the platform number until the bus actually comes in! so platform number appears just a few minutes before it goes out again. So there is no way to queue 30 minutes before for a bus - unless you are a local and know which platform it will go to, and they don't queue until it comes in.

I watched that bus come in and the few pilgrims walking out to it and getting on.

Same with my bus - no platform number until about ten minutes before the bus actually left - that 30 minutes boarding warning is pointless.
If the bus is actually there on the platform early because it is starting from there it is locked and the driver is in the canteen until about ten minutes before the off.

Train to bus station is 1.4 miles, a 30 minute walk - mainly along one road so is very simple - but would give you a window of only a few minutes - and when you get to the bus station it will be unfamiliar territory and you would have to find the platform - is all underground by the way - would give me pause, doing that.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Probably won't make it but there's always a chance. They may allow a Peregrino on late.

Here's the fastest way to the Bus Station.

Buen Camino.

View attachment 55198

I don't think that is the shortest way. Walking one turns the opposite way out of the station then turns right then walks straight for a mile, south east, then bus station is on the right.
The dotted line on the map.Opera Snapshot_2019-04-17_092234_www.google.co.uk.png

Last edited:
I don’t understand why your ticket says that boarding closes half an hour before the bus leaves...
I was also surprised about this. Turns out that ALSA has this rule for international bus trips - which Pamplona to SJPP is.

For trips within Spain, ALSA recommends that passengers arrive 10 minutes before departure. Fair enough for long distance trips, as the driver needs to check the tickets and help with loading luggage and wants to leave on time.

Last edited:
I don't think that is the shortest way. Walking one turns the opposite way out of the station then turns right then walks straight for a mile, south east, then bus station is on the right.
The dotted line on the map.View attachment 55207

The route shown in the image you posted isn't the one l posted. But, as long as there isn't too much difference l'm guessing there is still a chance they will let people board.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I arrived at Pamplona bus station once and was really hungry after a long bus ride. I noticed that the cafe/restaurant had tablecloths. In England bus station cafe's can be a bit 'rough' (popular with homeless people and drunks - I know because I was a homeless drunk in them days). Tablecloths? And the prices were very reasonable too. Best meal I have ever had in Pamplona. With waitress service and very friendly. Recommended!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back