• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alsa Bus to Pamplona & on to SJPDP

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello! I have decided to take the Alsa bus from MAD Barajas T4 to Pamplona, then on to SJPDP. I am arriving at MAD on August 14th at 7:55 am from Boston. My question is where should I get off to make the connection from Pamplona to SJPDP. Would that be the Estacion de Autobuses in Pamplona? I am taking the 17:30 bus from Pamplona to SJPDP. I have emailed Alsa, but received no response. Also, another poster told me that Conda was a better choice, since you don't need to change buses from MAD to Pamplona. So, I'm a bit confused. Any help from someone with experience taking this route will be appreciated.

Warmly,

Barry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The bus to SJPdP leaves from the bus station in Pamplona, so just look around for the window that sells tickets for that route. I think it is the ALSA window.

The bus to SJPdP leaves from the bus station in Pamplona, so just look around for the window that sells tickets for that route. I think it is the ALSA window.

Thank you so much! So, the bus from MAD will terminate at the bus station in Pamplona & I can catch the SJPDP from that same station? Does the bus to SJPDP arrive at Gare de Saint Jean Pied de Port? I am hoping to find lodging near where I arrive, since I am getting in late.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good morning @barryg, I am the one who said that Conda may be the better choice, not understanding that Conda is actually a part of Alsa. I just pretended to buy a ticket on Conda and was directed to Alsa. On the Alsa schedules there is a button to click for Itinerary and there is indeed a change in Soria.

I am one of those who can get caught up in over thinking things, who wants to know every detail of what to expect. For me part of walking the Camino was an exercise in learning to let go of some of that. We do want to know where we will be the first night or two but after that some of the very best experiences are totally unexpected.

Another aspect for me was learning to be self reliant after seeing how other people affect my choices and behavior.

All of the planning that you are doing now is a part of your journey. Enjoy it! Buen Camino!

Barry, I answered this on another thread.
Why make reservations?
There will be buses.
Yes, the estacion de autobuses is where you want leave from Pamplona.

Why not stay one night in Pamplona before heading out to SJPP?
Why not stay TWO nights in Pamplona and see the city?

Anyway, unless you have a large group, there's really no reason not to buy your tickets in Spain.
It will be cheaper and leave you the option of changing your mind.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Barry, I answered this on another thread.
Why make reservations?
There will be buses.
Yes, the estacion de autobuses is where you want leave from Pamplona.

Why not stay one night in Pamplona before heading out to SJPP?
Why not stay TWO nights in Pamplona and see the city?

Anyway, unless you have a large group, there's really no reason not to buy your tickets in Spain.
It will be cheaper and leave you the option of changing your mind.

I usually don’t worry so much because I usually travel alone. This time I’m bringing my wife & she hates traveling, so I just want everything to go smoothly. I’m afraid of missing my connection to SJPDP in Pamplona, but I shouldn’t worry? How about making reservations for lodging in SJPDP? Usually I just show up & find a room. How do you feel about us winging that? The welcome office is apparently open until the busses & trains stop arriving. Thanks so much for your post (and the other one, which I’ll find later.

I thought they had buses to SJPdP from Barajas T4(MAD). Did they discontinue?

I usually don’t worry so much because I usually travel alone. This time I’m bringing my wife & she hates traveling, so I just want everything to go smoothly. I’m afraid of missing my connection to SJPDP in Pamplona, but I shouldn’t worry? How about making reservations for lodging in SJPDP? Usually I just show up & find a room. How do you feel about us winging that? The welcome office is apparently open until the busses & trains stop arriving. Thanks so much for your post (and the other one, which I’ll find later.
@barryg , thank you for sharing something about your anxiety in planning. I hope that your wife sees and appreciates your efforts to make this a meaningful experience for you both. There are bound to be "glitches" along the way, do not let them dishearten you. Buen Camino to you both!

From all that I have been reading, definitely do have reservations in SJPdP and for the next few days. How about hiding a special snack or favorite Cliff Bar in your pack to bring out to share when you both might need a "pick me up". Three years ago dark chocolate chipotle almonds were a huge help in getting my daughter and me over the Pyrenees.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Personally I would go to booking.com and make reservations for your two nights in SJPP. Do you plan on staying in Albergue’s or booking private lodging the rest of the route?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back