• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alsa buses at Madrid airport

dottie

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016
I am flying into Madrid on Aug 31 and have purchased a bus ticket to Pamplona. Can anyone tell me how I would get to the bus station at the airport when I land? I think it is located in the airport at Terminal 4, but can I walk there or do I need to take a tram or shuttle from the main airport when I land? Thanks for any info.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When you arrive at T4 arrivals, walk through the exit doors and look across the two taxi lanes to where the buses queue up. ALSA usually have bays 1-3 but could be in any one of them on the day.madrid-barajas-t4-bus-stop.jpg

PLM Autocares and ALSA buses from Madrid to Pamplona leave from Intercambiador de Avenida de America. Only some of the buses go to T4 airport as part of their itinerary ... sometimes there are several hours between buses at T4.

EMT Madrid #200 goes from several locations at the Airport to Avenida de America every few minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for the information. I already bought my bus ticket ahead of time, and according to my confirmation it will be leaving from T4 at the airport.

Dottie, assuming you are arriving on an international flight, when you exit baggage claim you need to go up one floor, then exit the building, and turn to your right. There you will find the (free) bus to take you to T4. When you arrive at T4, enter the terminal and follow the signs to the bus stand. It is on the same floor as the T4 arrivals, which is also where you will find restrooms and the best selection of quick food options.

The buses to Pamplona depart from stands 1 - 4. Note that the name on your bus may not match the name of the company on your ticket, so be sure to confirm the destination with the driver. Also, you most likely have to change buses in either Zaragoza or Sorria, so that will be the destination of the bus at the airport, not Pamplona. (I have seen people miss their bus because they didn't know this!) My tactic is to approach the driver of every bus that arrives around my departure time to see if that is my bus.

If you are changing buses in Sorria, the bus to Pamplona will be waiting when you arrive. There are restrooms inside the bus station, upstairs, and the stalls require a coin (I think 50 cents) if the door has swung shut.

When you're in Pamplona, you will find an information desk on the same floor as the bus stands, around the corner from the ticket windows. If it's open, they will have maps of Pamplona. It is a short walk from the station to the historic center, say about 15 minutes.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Dottie, assuming you are arriving on an international flight, when you exit baggage claim you need to go up one floor, then exit the building, and turn to your right. There you will find the (free) bus to take you to T4. When you arrive at T4, enter the terminal and follow the signs to the bus stand. It is on the same floor as the T4 arrivals, which is also where you will find restrooms and the best selection of quick food options.

The buses to Pamplona depart from stands 1 - 4. Note that the name on your bus may not match the name of the company on your ticket, so be sure to confirm the destination with the driver. Also, you most likely have to change buses in either Zaragoza or Sorria, so that will be the destination of the bus at the airport, not Pamplona. (I have seen people miss their bus because they didn't know this!) My tactic is to approach the driver of every bus that arrives around my departure time to see if that is my bus.

If you are changing buses in Sorria, the bus to Pamplona will be waiting when you arrive. There are restrooms inside the bus station, upstairs, and the stalls require a coin (I think 50 cents) if the door has swing shut.

When your in Pamplona, you will find an information desk on the same floor as the bus stands, around the corner from the ticket windows. If it's open, they will have maps of Pamplona. It is a short walk from the station to the historic center, say about 15 minutes.

Buen Camino!
Wow, very detailed. That should help a lot, thank you very much.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am flying into Madrid on Aug 31 and have purchased a bus ticket to Pamplona. Can anyone tell me how I would get to the bus station at the airport when I land? I think it is located in the airport at Terminal 4, but can I walk there or do I need to take a tram or shuttle from the main airport when I land? Thanks for any info.
Hi DOTTIE, can you tell me if you managed t catch your ALSA bus from T4 to Pamplona ? I arrive next Friday midnight T1 and my ALSA overnight bus to Soria/Pamplona departs T4 at 01:15Am (so flight arrival to bus departure is 1.5 hrs if no flight delay). I am taking carry on only. How was it finding shuttle to T4 and how much time did it take? DOTTIE thanks for replying

The buses are waiting outside the airport and you can simply walk out the front door.
If you do not purchase a ticket ahead, it's simple to purchase one from the bus driver.
Check www.movelia.es to see time schedule.

The buses are waiting outside the airport and you can simply walk out the front door.
If you do not purchase a ticket ahead, it's simple to purchase one from the bus driver.
Check www.movelia.es to see time schedule.
or from the ALSA kiosk right next to the exit doors out of T4 where you catch your bus...
2014_3_27_ZVQh9AkK8W1EtQEHm4jfy3.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey thanks all but I have already bought a ticket online (reserved) my question is what is the REAL amount of time to get from arrivals T1 to the ALSA bus stop at T4 given between 23:30-2:30 the shuttle bus runs every 10 minutes but some say there isn't always a shuttle bus so you have to wait. I have 1 hour 15 minutes between landing and the bus departing from T4

Hey thanks all but I have already bought a ticket online (reserved) my question is what is the REAL amount of time to get from arrivals T1 to the ALSA bus stop at T4 given between 23:30-2:30 the shuttle bus runs every 10 minutes but some say there isn't always a shuttle bus so you have to wait. I have 1 hour 15 minutes between landing and the bus departing from T4

Time appreciation needs to consider

-Plane arrival often means the time the plane touches the runway.
-In my experience, planes almost never arrive on time.
-Taxi time to the unload gate is on your time.
-deplane takes 30 minutes.
-baggage can take another 30 minutes (and more).
-customs is no-nonsense (unlike the impertinent quiz at Canada customs) but the line can be long.
-You should allow minimum 1 hour to get to the point of being ready for onward travel.
-Time needed to get oriented and get to the shuttle stop. You can save a bit of time by looking at the airport map. 5 minutes.
-shuttle runs every ten minutes. Assume you just missed it and have to wait the full ten. Travel time is 15 minutes ... then you have to get from the shuttle stop to the bus stop. ~25 minutes.
-The bus leaves on schedule (unlike here in Canada); you and your bags have to be on it before, not at, departure time.

In my estimation, 1:15 is not enough time. (even with only carry-on-luggage)

Aena Madrid Airport Shuttle
http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/transport-between-terminals.html

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Time appreciation needs to consider

-Plane arrival often means the time the plane touches the runway.
-In my experience, planes almost never arrive on time.
-Taxi time to the unload gate is on your time.
-deplane takes 30 minutes.
-baggage can take another 30 minutes (and more).
-customs is no-nonsense (unlike the impertinent quiz at Canada customs) but the line can be long.
-You should allow minimum 1 hour to get to the point of being ready for onward travel.
-Time needed to get oriented and get to the shuttle stop. You can save a bit of time by looking at the airport map. 5 minutes.
-shuttle runs every ten minutes. Assume you just missed it and have to wait the full ten. Travel time is 15 minutes ... then you have to get from the shuttle stop to the bus stop. ~25 minutes.
-The bus leaves on schedule (unlike here in Canada); you and your bags have to be on it before, not at, departure time.

In my estimation, 1:15 is not enough time. (even with only carry-on-luggage)

Aena Madrid Airport Shuttle
http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/transport-between-terminals.html
Thanks Well one has to have faith and believe

Hi Colette Zaharie I have bought tickets online for the ALSA bus from Madrid to Pamplona for 26 March 2017. Our flight will arrive at Madrid airport on Saturday 25 March 2017 at 19:50. The ALSA bus departs the next morning at 01:00 from Intercambiador de Avenida de America in the city. When I bought the tickets the itinerary showed that the bus departs from Intercambiador de Avenida de America via the airport to Soria.
Now I need to make a decision to travel from the airport to Intercambiador de Avenida de America where the bus departs from or wait for 5 hours and take the bus from the airport.

Hi Colette Zaharie I have bought tickets online for the ALSA bus from Madrid to Pamplona for 26 March 2017. Our flight will arrive at Madrid airport on Saturday 25 March 2017 at 19:50. The ALSA bus departs the next morning at 01:00 from Intercambiador de Avenida de America in the city. When I bought the tickets the itinerary showed that the bus departs from Intercambiador de Avenida de America via the airport to Soria.
Now I need to make a decision to travel from the airport to Intercambiador de Avenida de America where the bus departs from or wait for 5 hours and take the bus from the airport.
I would get on at the airport T4 you have lots of time but with so much free time why not go thru Madrid to bus station and see something. It may be impossible to change your ticket. However you could arrive at airport go to T4 ALSA kiosk and see if you can wait and get on there at (?) 1:15am (like me) and if they say no then head into Madrid to bus station

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would get on at the airport T4 you have lots of time but with so much free time why not go thru Madrid to bus station and see something. It may be impossible to change your ticket. However you could arrive at airport go to T4 ALSA kiosk and see if you can wait and get on there at (?) 1:15am (like me) and if they say no then head into Madrid to bus station

There's really not much to see from the airport to the bus station.
But Madrid is a wonderful place to explore.
I'd suggest 3-4 days there!
Lots of inexpensive places to stay if you book early.

What was your experience like, T1 to T4 ALSA bus stop, in 2017?

I'm looking at doing just that next year. I arrive 8:45 AM, hope to catch 10:45 ALSA bus to Logrono. Any suggestions?

Hello @rappahannock_rev Father, it worked perfectly. I purchased my ALSA ticket online (overnight bus to Pamplona, plus a box breakfast was included). The FREE shuttle between T1 and T4 is every 10-15 minutes, takes max 15 minutes (if you get on at T1, T4 is the last stop). Finding the ALSA bus stop at T4 is a bit tricky but just ask once you arrive on the shuttle.The buses line up in one area. Your 2 hour time interval after arriving is sufficient for you to NOT rush or panic. I do recommend buying your ALSA ticket online and reserve a single seat so you can sleep. ULTREIA & buen camino Father!

Hello @rappahannock_rev Father, it worked perfectly. I purchased my ALSA ticket online (overnight bus to Pamplona, plus a box breakfast was included). The FREE shuttle between T1 and T4 is every 10-15 minutes, takes max 15 minutes (if you get on at T1, T4 is the last stop). Finding the ALSA bus stop at T4 is a bit tricky but just ask once you arrive on the shuttle.The buses line up in one area. Your 2 hour time interval after arriving is sufficient for you to NOT rush or panic. I do recommend buying your ALSA ticket online and reserve a single seat so you can sleep. ULTREIA & buen camino Father!

Thank you for your prompt reply! And that's just what I needed to hear! :)

I've used ALSA buses occasionally in the past, and have always been very satisfied with them.

Pax

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back