• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alsa ticket online or wait & buy at Madrid Airport ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bopper

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017, Frances
Hi, my plane arrives 07:55 a.m. Terminal 1 Madrid. Alsa bus to Leon leaves at 11:15 from Terminal 4. Next one at 13:30. Would I be safe to wait and purchase at the airport (in case of plane delay, etc). or should I just buy online? What has been your experience? June 4th, it's coming soon!!! Thank You!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You should have plenty of time to purchase at the airport. :)

I'd just buy the bus ticket at the airport. Getting through immigration and customs should take no more than an hour, then you'll take the airport shuttle over to Terminal 4. Terminal 4 is a bit removed from the other terminals, but the shuttle buses run often. I would anticipate that from the time you get off the plane to the time you are at the ALSA desk to buy your bus ticket should take no more than 1.5 hours.

There's a little cafe near the ALSA ticket desk, so while you wait for your bus, you can get a cafe con leche, zumo de naranja, and a pastry - start your Camino out on the right foot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Last year we arrived around 10 and the ALSA tickets were sold out until evening. Fortunately, we were able to buy tickets on a different bus line called PLM. It stopped in Logrono for sure I’m not sure about Leon.

Hi, my plane arrives 07:55 a.m. Terminal 1 Madrid. Alsa bus to Leon leaves at 11:15 from Terminal 4. Next one at 13:30. Would I be safe to wait and purchase at the airport (in case of plane delay, etc). or should I just buy online? What has been your experience? June 4th, it's coming soon!!! Thank You!
Hi Bopper. You do have a few options. Buy a ticket online, and even two tickets in case of a delay. Wait till you get there, and chance your luck. If the tickets are cheap enough, I would buy online. It is not a lot to lose. Another option, have a look at blablacar. It helps but is not essential to have some Spanish to navigate the site. On both occasions that I have used it I have been very lucky with timing and departure points, though not from Madrid, and the journeys have been very pleasant.

Hi, I’d buy a ticket in advance. My experience: Monday 22 May last year, I met my sister at Madrid airport. I had bought a ticket in advance online for the 11:15 bus; she hadn’t, as she didn’t know if she’d make the 11:15 bus. She got to the ticket counter about 11:00 and the bus was full. She managed to get a seat on the next bus at 13:30, but she said (when she finally arrived in Leon) that her bus was also full.
Jill

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I bought mine online Madrid airport to Pamplona and had a front row reseved single seat plus a boxed breakfast and water. I’d buy ahead to not have to rush or stand in line.

In April, I flew into Terminal 4 at Madrid. I bought my ALSA ticket online. Passport control and customs clearance took less than 30 minutes. It helps if you do not linger or sightsee.

If you walk briskly following signs. you get through the arrival process, quickly. My luggage (rucksack in a brightly colored laundry bag) was coming off the belt just as I arrived, about 15 minutes after I got off the plane.

The ALSA bus counter is outside the Customs exit, opposite, along the glass outer wall, and slightly to the left. The bus platforms are just outside, stalls 1 - 4. You can see them outside, beyond the ALSA ticket counter.

Personally, I advise buying the ticket online. I did so using Paypal for payment. This allows you to proceed directly to the bus, no need to stop at the counter. There are displays above the counter clearly explaining arriving and departing buses. The line at the ALSA counter can be long and is slow to move. Best to avoid the counter if possible.

Getting from one terminal to another is easy. Just exit your arrival terminal and look for the inter-terminal shuttle. Signs are in English and Spanish. The buses run regularly. Just make sure you get on the correct shuttle. If I recall correctly, not all shuttles go to all terminals. Just ask "Terminal cuatro?"

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Cheaper to buy in advance with ALSA allow yourself plenty of time to get through immigration

Cheaper to buy in advance with ALSA allow yourself plenty of time to get through immigration
Hi Trude, are ALSA tickets still more expensive at the ticket office than online even if you buy it two weeks in advance? Thank you

Hi @Doraexpladoa - @Trude hasn't been on the forum for a year and a half, and I see that you have opened a new thread with the same question, so I'll close this one from 2018.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back