• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate approaches to the lighthouse in Fisterra

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Most people walk the road up to the lighthouse, but there are a couple of alternate approaches.

Firstly, there is a trail that you can take that brings you up over the top. You can find it on the Windy Maps app. It's the green line.
You can download Windy Maps for Android here, or for iPhone here.

Screenshot_20211011-191139_Windy Maps Fisterra resize.jpg

This is the view that you get

Fisterra resize.jpg

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

The 2nd approach doesn't take you directly to the lighthouse, but gives you a great view of it from the sea.

There are a couple of companies that do a sunset boat cruise, including this one. The boat takes you out by the lighthouse, and you have wonderful views. The 12 Euro price of the cruise includes a glass of wine or beer and a light snack.

Sunset boat cruise.jpg

Lighthouse from the boat.jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Trecile, seeing your blissful summery shots reminded me of a very cold mid-December in 2008! I took the standard route up to the lighthouse, but stayed on a day (to absorb as much of my first camino as possible) and walked around the neighbourhood hills then. Attached, a similar view of the lighthouse and also a couple looking the other way, where you can see the wild beach on the Atlantic side of Fisterra. Also just about follow the route in, round the headland from Cee, and to the left that flat bit you cross when you are coming/going from/to Muxia.. Happy days!

Attachments

• lighthouse from hill.jpeg
    lighthouse from hill.jpeg
    594.1 KB · Views: 48
  • fistera Atlantic side.jpeg
    fistera Atlantic side.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 41
  • fistera-langosteira.jpeg
    fistera-langosteira.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Photo taken yesterday from the top of the Finisterre peninsula heading for the lighthouse, looking back toward the bay at Fisterra (to the right) and the opposite bay on the northern side. The views are magnificent.

Attachments

• IMG-20211026-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211026-WA0001.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 41
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We took the same route back to town as @trecile after visiting the lighhouse and having a drink on the patio. I highly recommend it, too, and loved walking that scenic route with no people! I wish I'd known about that inexpensive boat ride...maybe another time!
My last picture shows Finesterre on the right and the wonderful semi-private beach over the hill on the left.
Screenshot_20211026-163819~2.pngScreenshot_20211026-163856~2.png
Screenshot_20211026-163934~2.png

Most people walk the road up to the lighthouse, but there are a couple of alternate approaches.

Firstly, there is a trail that you can take that brings you up over the top. You can find it on the Windy Maps app. It's the green line.
You can download Windy Maps for Android here, or for iPhone here.

View attachment 112022

This is the view that you get

View attachment 112023

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

The 2nd approach doesn't take you directly to the lighthouse, but gives you a great view of it from the sea.

There are a couple of companies that do a sunset boat cruise, including this one. The boat takes you out by the lighthouse, and you have wonderful views. The 12 Euro price of the cruise includes a glass of wine or beer and a light snack.

View attachment 112024

View attachment 112025
I went to the light house to watch the sunset, but since I was early I ended up back tracking your green trail shown. My idea was to watch the sunset from on top of the hill and be closer to the town. The view was great from up on top but the trail didn't look like a good trail once you were on the opposite side of the hill from the lighthouse so I headed back towards the light house. I ended up not going all the way back to the light house but following my alltrails map showing some other routes that were shorter to get back to town. What a mistake! The trail started as roads that after a short time changed to roads that were not as defined then to over grown and finally I was picking my was down a slope that was a tree clearcut area probably a couple of years ago. I probably would of broken my legs had I tried to make it to the main road because of a 10 ft drop off right at the edge of the road. I had to walk along the edge a short time to get to where I could safely walk down to a parking area. Be careful out there!

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back