A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

Alternate paths sin asphalt!

Camino(s) past & future
chemin du puy, camino frances, camino muxia, vezelay
It has been several years since I have walked the beautiful Way to Finesterre and I was pleased to see that two "alternate"routes have sprung up...I recommend both. The first to Zas is longer, but by a river and through wooded forest..if you are heading/racing to olveiroa probably 2 km mins to add to the trail. The second is a gravel road to vilacerio...rural and no cars . And very few pilgrims...same distance of 3 km as the regular pavement (ouch) route. Buen Camino !!

Camino(s) past & future
My first Camino begins on 16th July 2017
where can one find these alternate routes? (before hand I mean) I'm extending to both Finisterre & Muxia.....is the Camino allows me to!! ;)

Camino(s) past & future
chemin du puy, camino frances, camino muxia, vezelay
Hi Gary, both are super well signed on the trail itself. The first to Zas is just after Negreira-before the municipal. The second is three km before vilacerio!! Your feet and spirit will thank your choices....

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Aug 2016-Oct(2016); Leon-Sarria, Ourense to SdC May (2017)
Hola!
Did not walk the first alternative route (the extra Kms discouraged me!) but DID walk the second one. As Binya says, it is a rural and solitary gravel road but be prepared for the HILLS! Haven't been on the regular pavement route (my least favorite kind of terrain...)so can't really compare. I met a Spanish farmer with a dog and that was about it for the 3 Kms. At first, I was a bit leary of walking "alternative routes" as I walk alone, but these two on the Camino Finesterre seem to be good possibilities if you want to avoid the traffic!!
Ulteria!
elle

I also walked both of those alternatives this year. I would only caution that there is one unmarked intersection on the first alternative, close to the merge with the "official camino" at Zas. I guessed correctly, and went up, but a Dutch woman I met guessed wrong and went down, and she wound up having to walk a few extra kms, all on the road, to get back on track.

I particularly liked the river alternative out of Negreira, it was far nicer than the asphalt trek I remembered from previous walks out to the coast.

And just one last thing that occurred to me when I was looking at the signs-- they were obviously new and recently installed. But these signs would be much easier to vandalize and rip down than your standard camino mojón, so I hope the teenagers and other vandals keep their hands off! Buen camino, Laurie

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
W Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia 18

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.6%