• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate paths sin asphalt!

Binya

Time of past OR future Camino
chemin du puy, camino frances, camino muxia, vezelay
It has been several years since I have walked the beautiful Way to Finesterre and I was pleased to see that two "alternate"routes have sprung up...I recommend both. The first to Zas is longer, but by a river and through wooded forest..if you are heading/racing to olveiroa probably 2 km mins to add to the trail. The second is a gravel road to vilacerio...rural and no cars . And very few pilgrims...same distance of 3 km as the regular pavement (ouch) route. Buen Camino !!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
where can one find these alternate routes? (before hand I mean) I'm extending to both Finisterre & Muxia.....is the Camino allows me to!! ;)

Hi Gary, both are super well signed on the trail itself. The first to Zas is just after Negreira-before the municipal. The second is three km before vilacerio!! Your feet and spirit will thank your choices....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola!
Did not walk the first alternative route (the extra Kms discouraged me!) but DID walk the second one. As Binya says, it is a rural and solitary gravel road but be prepared for the HILLS! Haven't been on the regular pavement route (my least favorite kind of terrain...)so can't really compare. I met a Spanish farmer with a dog and that was about it for the 3 Kms. At first, I was a bit leary of walking "alternative routes" as I walk alone, but these two on the Camino Finesterre seem to be good possibilities if you want to avoid the traffic!!
Ulteria!
elle

I also walked both of those alternatives this year. I would only caution that there is one unmarked intersection on the first alternative, close to the merge with the "official camino" at Zas. I guessed correctly, and went up, but a Dutch woman I met guessed wrong and went down, and she wound up having to walk a few extra kms, all on the road, to get back on track.

I particularly liked the river alternative out of Negreira, it was far nicer than the asphalt trek I remembered from previous walks out to the coast.

And just one last thing that occurred to me when I was looking at the signs-- they were obviously new and recently installed. But these signs would be much easier to vandalize and rip down than your standard camino mojón, so I hope the teenagers and other vandals keep their hands off! Buen camino, Laurie

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back